• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventures of Mana |OT| The Final Fantasy Adventure returns to Mobile and Vita

Back in the day, I hit level 99 in the stupid desert and stopped the game until someone explained how to progress. I remember in my very first playthrough, I picked Will on every level up, too, so I'm trying to recapture the magic by picking Sage every time now.

wow, that was exactly my first experience with the game. But I was stuck in the first desert at the stupid "8" puzzle. Leveled probably into the 70s, Will all day every day. Pretty much every attack was a charged one.

Had to write a letter to Nintendo support to solve it. I wish I kept their answer

duckroll

Dear Square Enix,

When you have a room where the player needs to turn an enemy into a snowman to activate a switch, please do not also make the room's random enemy spawn seed generate a majority of enemies immune to the ice spell. That's bad game design.

Love,
duckroll

Not to mention the armor crafting and whatnot. But yes the story embellishments are, frankly, terrible.
Ugh, yeah. The crafting system was the dealbreaker for me for Sword of Mana. FFA's appeal was that it was a great pick-up-and-go game, where you just go, procuring everything you need as you progress. Stopping dead in my tracks to craft shit was unbearable, and I actually--prior to this remake--quit the series because of the dumb crafting that they shoehorned into it.

wow, that was exactly my first experience with the game. But I was stuck in the first desert at the stupid "8" puzzle. Leveled probably into the 70s, Will all day every day. Pretty much every attack was a charged one.

Had to write a letter to Nintendo support to solve it. I wish I kept their answer
Yeah, I couldn't figure out "palm trees and 8." But since I was jacked on Will, I would keep re-entering that one screen with the five werewolves that spawn in a line and throw my lance through them. It only took a couple of hours to hit level 99 doing that.

JSoup

Banned
Back in the day, I hit level 99 in the stupid desert and stopped the game until someone explained how to progress.

I remember noticing there was a address on the back of the game manual and then sending them a letter asking how to get into Oasis Cave.

Lomax

Yep, pretty much exactly the same here. I think I ended up calling the Nintendo helpline. Seems silly now but at the time the solution didn't even remotely occur to me.

redcrayon

I got stuck there for weeks as a kid too.

I remember one of the portable Zeldas having a similar-ish puzzle and having flashbacks to 'Palm trees and 8' engrained in my head!

Seda

Dear Square Enix,

When you have a room where the player needs to turn an enemy into a snowman to activate a switch, please do not also make the room's random enemy spawn seed generate a majority of enemies immune to the ice spell. That's bad game design.

Love,
duckroll

That stalled me for quite a length of time, kept getting those mage-like enemies.

-

Anyway, I cleared the game. I don't have much more to say over what's already been said. The game is extremely faithful to the original, almost to a fault. The more annoying quirks are still there, as well as the cheesy ways to rocket up your levels and trivialize bosses. It's comfortable at least.

playXray

This is amazing - I think FFA (or Mystic Quest as it was known in the UK) was my first ever RPG, and certainly my first of the Final Fantasy universe. I would love to play this on console or PC, but smartphone will have to do for now :)

EDIT:

I remember one of the portable Zeldas having a similar-ish puzzle and having flashbacks to 'Palm trees and 8' engrained in my head!

OMG me too! This had me stumped for weeks, and then I finally solved it when stuck on an 11 hour flight to America.

Amalthea

Banned
GB imports were really weird here (France) in the early nineties. A ton of stores sold US games and didn't really bother pointing out they were imports. Then again, every game was in English back then and the console was region free, so it's not like you could tell the difference. That's how I ended up collecting and playing Final Fantasy Legend games, which I loved. I somehow missed on FFA and bought it as Mystic Quest. Hence my everlasting confusion about this game.

Back on topic, I guess I shouldn't hold my breath for a Vita version in English. I'll get the iOS one.
Switzerland was similiar. Sometimes I stood in a toy store and wondered what the heck the difference between Probotector and Operation C was. Too bad I never saw any of the FF Legends games here except a rental version of FFL2 my cousin had rented out. Wanted that so badly.
It was only until a few years later that I found out that the ERSB was an US thing. lol

Link1110

Switzerland was similiar. Sometimes I stood in a toy store and wondered what the heck the difference between Probotector and Operation C was. Too bad I never saw any of the FF Legends games here except a rental version of FFL2 my cousin had rented out. Wanted that so badly.
It was only until a few years later that I found out that the ERSB was an US thing. lol
I got that online mana game om my vita when this was announced to see hoe it is. Unless the engine got a TON of optimizations, you dont want this on vita. The other one was a choppy mess. I couldnt play it for more than a few minutes.

Yep, pretty much exactly the same here. I think I ended up calling the Nintendo helpline. Seems silly now but at the time the solution didn't even remotely occur to me.

I tried calling the helpline too. The problem was, I had a US copy and the game wasn't out yet here in Europe, so they didn't even know what game I was talking about :-(

Ultimately, it led to me waiting for the PAL version to be released here and that's when I randomly came across the solution in a local gaming magazine.

Man, everybody who played that game at that time has some story to tell about that oasis puzzle. Grinding to lvl 99 in the desert? That's crazy.

I got that online mana game om my vita when this was announced to see hoe it is. Unless the engine got a TON of optimizations, you dont want this on vita. The other one was a choppy mess. I couldnt play it for more than a few minutes.

I also played Rise of Mana and it probably had the worst performance of any Vita game I played. This looks a lot better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdrD4AcXkus

The only thing i'm noticing are long-ish load times and screen transitions

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

I think they spelled the solution out in Sword of Mana. Here the line is slightly different but still very obtuse. A new generation of people would get stuck on this if the internet weren't a thing now.

Goli

I'm enjoying the game, it's a little clunky but somehow it feels fresh enough not to have an outdated feel, I'm hoping the game does well enough to guarantee other premium mobile SE games coming over, specially RomaSaGa2.

Eusis

Dear Square Enix,

Love,
duckroll
Probably was that way in the original. Bad design then as it was, but it should be one of the highest on a list of things to tweak with an update.

Does the AI still consist of the enemies just moving and stabbing in random directions with the hope that they may collide with you?

hongcha

Good news: It's wonderful on Vita. I also played that online mana game and yes, it was horrible. But this is far better in every respect and runs very smoothly.

I tried calling the helpline too. The problem was, I had a US copy and the game wasn't out yet here in Europe, so they didn't even know what game I was talking about :-(

Ultimately, it led to me waiting for the PAL version to be released here and that's when I randomly came across the solution in a local gaming magazine.

Man, everybody who played that game at that time has some story to tell about that oasis puzzle. Grinding to lvl 99 in the desert? That's crazy.
You know, I was about to post that I've always been inclined to grind levels early, but then I realized something: this might be the very game that started me on that trajectory!

I haven't tried too hard, but it seems like they did remove the ability to kill NPCs, yeah?
I think that and your helpers being able to be hit and stunned are both new.

I also don't remember if enemies took damage when they collided with you in the original, but I think that's new, too. It's definitely helpful for when I randomly run into enemies or just flat out fail to move/attack because of the touch controls. Also, did your shield always block stuff in the original? Oh, and the three-hit sword combo seems to be new, too.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I think that and your helpers being able to be hit and stunned are both new.

The helpers were completely untouchable in the old game. Now they can be put out of commission for a while. This nerfs the girl healer a bit, but isn't that noticeable for most of the others as they don't really have any useful abilities you might need in a pinch.

In Sword I believe they had their own HP and very often ended up dying. Their pathing wasn't very good and they often got stuck somewhere on the screen.

I think the shield did stop projectiles sometimes in the original. The sword combo is new, I believe. The wind spear also seems to be a lot worse than it was in the original. Feels a lot slower and less practical to use now.

Link1110

What do i do at the mantis boss? The lightning kills me

Never mind, i was so weakened the lightning was oneshotting me and i couldnt even get to tje boss. Chump went down in one hot from the morning star.

Pachimari

With all of these names going around I'm a bit confused. Which tree games have Square Enix promised to bring to mobile if Adventures of Mana does well? Which are the other two? 2 and 3? Are those Secret of Mana and Legend of Mana?

Seda

With all of these names going around I'm a bit confused. Which tree games have Square Enix promised to bring to mobile besides Adventures of Mana? Which are the other two? 2 and 3? Are those Secret of Mana and Legend of Mana?

I think the other two potential '3D' remakes would be Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2) and Seiken Densetsu 3 - which was never officially released in English. Legend of Mana is technically a spinoff.

fake edit: This is the source for that I believe http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/116/1116424/

The helpers were completely untouchable in the old game. Now they can be put out of commission for a while. This nerfs the girl healer a bit, but isn't that noticeable for most of the others as they don't really have any useful abilities you might need in a pinch.

In Sword I believe they had their own HP and very often ended up dying. Their pathing wasn't very good and they often got stuck somewhere on the screen.

I think the shield did stop projectiles sometimes in the original. The sword combo is new, I believe. The wind spear also seems to be a lot worse than it was in the original. Feels a lot slower and less practical to use now.

Weapon dynamics has changed rather significantly in the remake in general. In the original I preferred long range weapons such as flails and the morning star due to their, well, long range and more reliable hit rate; I didn't rely on swords and axes so much because of their small hit area. In the remake it's the opposite: flails are more difficult to handle and the morning star is a lot slower and cumbersome to use, while swords are really good at quickly mowing down lots of enemies.

The quick slots also change combat dynamics more than you'd probably expect. It was such a pain to switch weapons in the original, so I normally just went around enemies if my equipped weapon didn't work on them. In the remake, I have one or two backup weapons ready in the quick slots for these occasions.

What is definitely harder and/or more annoying than in the original are flying bosses. It seems that you cannot hit them when they're high up in the air, but it's difficult to gauge whether they're high up or close to the ground. The Chimera and the Garuda are a bit annoying in that regard.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Is this one more faithful to the original GB classic or a piece of misfortune like the GBA version?

I just want a classic remake of the original already, minimal story, all action

Just got to the Marsh Cave. iOS version is great. It's a 1:1 remake of FFA all the way down to the positioning of terrain obstacles, which is exactly what I was hoping for.
Holy shit, bought

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
A localized remake of SD3 sounds really interesting...but also sounds like a lot of effort to do in this style. How's the fan translation, at least?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Weapon dynamics has changed rather significantly in the remake in general. In the original I preferred long range weapons such as flails and the morning star due to their, well, long range and more reliable hit rate; I didn't rely on swords and axes so much because of their small hit area. In the remake it's the opposite: flails are more difficult to handle and the morning star is a lot slower and cumbersome to use, while swords are really good at quickly mowing down lots of enemies.

I just did the boss fight that forces you to use the morning star. I don't remember ever having trouble with that fight, but it was really arduous now. The morning star seems borderline unusable. You're frozen in that animation for so long and it only ever did one hit on the boss.

duckroll

I really don't understand why they didn't fix some of the worst design aspects of the game when remaking this. Stuff like needing a keyring to get through certain doors in a dungeon but making the keyring drops completely random is really dumb. To make things even dumber, the keyrings are generic items you can buy at a store, so essentially instead of any sort of puzzle or challenge it just becomes a hassle that requires extra backtracking if you happen to run out when you get to a locked door.

The inventory limit is really stupid too considering how the economy in the game is totally broken so there's no benefit to really selling anything. You pick up so much garbage that it just becomes a matter of having to go into the menu to dump shit. Again, instead of meaningful game design, it's just extra busywork for the player to do which isn't fun.

The rooms which you need to turn enemies into snowmen to trigger switches are the -worst- though, especially since the game loves to randomly spawn enemies which are immune to the effect. If you kill the enemies by accident, instead of being able to go back and forth to generate different mobs, you have to run back 4-5 rooms before they respawn. Garbage!

Lothar

Banned
Why didn't you hear the airship take off in this version? That's a baffling change. The guy says the airship is about to take off. Then in the next second, he gets knocked off and lands on a house?

duckroll

Beat it. Took about 10 hours which is a pretty good length for a short portable ARPG. I'll say that as far as intent goes, this is a pretty solid graphical remake of the original without changing anything, but that means it's also not that great a game, much like the original. It's a decently fun action RPG which is closer to Zelda than the rest of the Mana series, but lacks the tight design Zelda-like adventure games usually have. There are some decent ideas with regards to the use of weapons to progress through obstacles, but there's also a lot of poor balance and random elements throughout which drags the game down.

The remake also has some collision detection issues, and I don't really like the way the physics work with the models. It gives it this really cheap feel. Other than that, the models and animation are pretty good, the colors are very pleasant on the eyes, and the music upgrade is great.

The remake also has some collision detection issues, and I don't really like the way the physics work with the models.

Yeah, one pretty frustrating thing I noticed recently is you can't hit monsters on the world map if you're both on stairs, at all.

blanco21

I think the other two potential '3D' remakes would be Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2) and Seiken Densetsu 3 - which was never officially released in English. Legend of Mana is technically a spinoff.

fake edit: This is the source for that I believe http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/116/1116424/

did they cut the character portrait? Sumo looks older:
seiken_013_cs1w1_720x480.jpg

Is the game broken for you guys right now? Whenever I launch it, I get a 0MB download that never finishes, and there's no way to back out of that.

iosefe

just bought this on mobile and i'm very excited to play it.

i first discovered FF:Adventure from the main title theme, when i found a midi of it on VGMusic, and i just had to look it up.

gave me good Link's Awakening vibes from what i saw of it, but sadly i wasn't able to gt ahold of it back then, but over the years, i would always listen to the theme, play it a bit on the piano.

such good times.

Amalthea

Banned
Man, some weapons like the chainwhip, lightning and ice spells are so damn usless now with those touch controls. It also doesn't help how long the hero sometimes takes to attack or cast magic.

Game works again! Must have been a botched update.

I also never knew this, but the dashing charged sword attack is like 5-10x stronger than a regular sword attack! In the past, I always used the spinning sword instead.

Lothar

Banned
One part of this game that unfortunately is not as good as the original is the sound effects. In the old game, you could clearly tell if you were attacking someone and it wasn't doing anything. In this game, it's very hard to tell. In the old game, if you hit a weak spot in a wall, it made a distinct sound. In this game, I have to look for a break in the wall.

If you killed an enemy in FFA, it made a satisfying ZAP sound. I really miss that. In this game, it's just a weak poof sound.

I've been playing off and on, trying not to rush too quickly through the game. The battle 2 theme is everything I wanted and more; it's perfect. Overworld 2 is pretty nice too.

One part of this game that unfortunately is not as good as the original is the sound effects. In the old game, you could clearly tell if you were attacking someone and it wasn't doing anything. In this game, it's very hard to tell. In the old game, if you hit a weak spot in a wall, it made a distinct sound. In this game, I have to look for a break in the wall.

If you killed an enemy in FFA, it made a satisfying ZAP sound. I really miss that. In this game, it's just a weak poof sound.
I still get the zap sound. It happens after the death animation, though.

Now this is dumb...I'm in front of the final boss and just got one of the last items enemies can drop...but when I thought I would get the achievement, nothing happened.
So this means I must've missed one of the temporary stat boosting items in the overworld, and I can't go back :(

It would be cool if progress was shared between saves, so I don't necessarily have to redo the entire story, but I somehow doubt it.

Okay, so I just got past the airship, and now every enemy is taking 10+ hits to kill. On top of this, the Wind Spear's charged attack isn't piercing anymore. I'm level 25, with everything dropped into Sage, but I might need to just bite the bullet and choose Warrior now. I don't feel like my charge is getting faster per level up anymore, either.

stOex

Nasty bug warning!

I was in the desert near Jadd, the slope one screen down and to the right. I was trying to transition to the left screen, but some enemies hit me while climbing the slope. I'm not sure if this is the cause, but I transitioned instead to a complete black screen (supposedly the 1,1 coordinates according to the world map) from which I could not leave... and worst of all, the game quicksaved this transition, meaning reloading this quicksave led me back to the black screen. Thankfully I had another save just prior, but yeah... save often on multiple slots!

(Also, was it just me or weren't we supposed to transition to the second overworld music after
falling from the airship?
There's also a broken bridge leading into the desert I don't recall, requiring you to have the
chocobo
. If memory serves, you could
skip it for this first overworld half
before, so that's mildly new. And it doesn't look like you can just open the desert cave like before either -
doing the 8
didn't do the trick in any case. I just stopped in Jadd to see if there's an additional trigger in there now, like the
kid who wants fangs
maybe? Dunno, will see tomorrow!)

This just happened to me as well. I have to start over because I'm stuck on 1,1 on the quick save slot. Three hours down the drain.

Lothar

Banned
Okay, so I just got past the airship, and now every enemy is taking 10+ hits to kill. On top of this, the Wind Spear's charged attack isn't piercing anymore. I'm level 25, with everything dropped into Sage, but I might need to just bite the bullet and choose Warrior now. I don't feel like my charge is getting faster per level up anymore, either.

I wish I ran into enemies that required 10+ hits. Was it always this easy? Major bosses die in seconds before I'm even able to enjoy the awesome major boss music.

Wait, do you mean to tell me you've never selected anything but Sage? Why would you do that? Sage doesn't even increase your strength at all. That's by far the worst thing to put points toward. All that does is increase your power gauge, which you never even really need to use except for a few bosses. That's like you haven't even been increasing levels.

My stats after the airship
Level:21. Hp: 81: MP: 15 Vit 25, Str 29, Int 11, Mind 23

Also the Wind Spear is a worthless shit weapon. Stick with the MIthril Sword.

Top Bottom