• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wine |OT| - Vino Where You Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

codhand

"Wine is one of the most civilized things in the world and one of the most natural things of the world that has been brought to the greatest perfection, and it offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than, possibly, any other purely sensory thing." -Ernest Hemingway

chateau-elan-winery.jpg

Famous Wine Regions
France
gJo2Wqy.jpg

Italy
Italy-Wine-Map-wine-folly.jpg

Spain
12x16-Portugal-wine-map.jpg

Portugal

portugal-wine-regions-map-zoom.jpg

Germany
winemap2.jpg

Austria
austria-wine-map-excerpt.jpg

Switzerland
switzerland_regions-1.jpg

California
10760_thumbnail-1024.jpg

New York
Finger-Lakes6.jpg

Oregon
main.jpg

Washington
Washington-wine-map-wine-folly.jpg

Ontario
Niagara-Peninsula-Sub-Appellations.png

South America
South-America-Wine-Map-wine-folly.jpg

South Africa
South-Africa-Wine-Map-excerpt.jpg

Australia
australia-wine-regions-map-excerpt.jpg

Wine Varieties
Popular

Recommended Viewing
Recommended Reading
Wine Books
Wine Magazines
  • Wine Enthusiast
  • Wine Spectator
  • Wine & Spirits
  • Wine Advocate
Wine Resources
Food Pairing
Glassware
Wine Storage
Cheap

Not Cheap

Feel free to discuss all wine related topics here, or simply share pics of what you're currently quaffing.

In an effort to keep this as welcoming as possible, asking questions is encouraged as there is always more to learn about the art of wine.
This OT is by no means comprehensive, so if there's anything I've missed, please PM me, and I'll be happy to add it.

Arol

Are wine clubs good to try? If so, any gaffers recommend any?

I live in socal and going to the wineries in my region are a bit tough due to my time constraints currently.

GiJoccin

Are wine clubs good to try? If so, any gaffers recommend any?

I live in socal and going to the wineries in my region are a bit tough due to my time constraints currently.

Not a wine club, but wine.woot has great deals on USA wines. Plus, you living in Cali means fast delivery. Check the discussion board to gauge excitement for each offer. It's how I got into wine

Monooboe

Aaaaah, my kind of thread!:D

I would recommend a documentary I saw called Mondovino. As a new wine lover and a poor one at that made me really curious about trying those old wines, just to taste the difference to the new ones that aren't even made the same way. Thinking about the fast process in new oak barrels.

It's on youtube:
EDIT: Ok my bad, seem the documentary isn't freely available and the youtube link was fake.

NH Apache

Banned
A couple of week ago, my wife and I went biking through the Wachau Valley in Austria on a wine tour.

Amazing. Normally reds are more our thing, but there were some great whites up there. Tried some Grüner Veltliner and other sweeter wines as well and it was very good. The wine peeps could tell us how many grams of sugar per liter and everything. Tasting in 500 year old wine cellars is very atmospheric.

You can add this to your OP:

rGIncbV.png

Supplemental:

Info on the region:

http://winefolly.com/review/in-depth-guide-to-the-wachau-valley-wine-region/

And a couple of pics:

Throw some Australia in the OP, mate! ;) But seriously.

My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon a month ago. We live in Melbourne, Australia and Honeymooned through Italy, staying in Rome, Florence and Venice and then going to the UK, then Paris, then on one of those cruises through Bordeaux for 8 days.

It was just amazing. I've always enjoyed wine but thought that the whole mystique around it was a bit wanky, but seeing the passion in the locals eyes when talking about wine, seeing this beautiful towns where everyone in the town has in some way a job connected with or supported by the wine and grape industry... it was a thing of beauty. Just loved it. Bought a lot of wine (in addition to the wine we bought in Tuscany as well...)

Definitely keeping track of this thread!

NYCrooner

I'm in the wine business and let me tell you it never ceases to amaze me how much there is to learn even after over a decade in the game. Glad see to a thread like this. I'll try to add my two cents when I have a little extra time.

Had to post to commend such a splendid title!

Anyway, I'm not a wine expert, but my favourite is this.

It's a Chilean sauvignon blanc and it's absolutely heavenly. Crisp, light and sweet, but not too saccharine and just enough of an aftertaste.

Icefire1424

Awesome idea, subbed. I'm fortunate enough to actually live just outside the Finger Lakes Region of NY, so there are a lot of really good local wines around here. Always wanted to learn more about the stuff. All I know is, I really like Chianti. And a bunch of other stuff.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Great OP

My wife and I will usually go to the Okanogan in British Columbia once a year and do a ton of tasting. We like to come back with 3-4 cases.

ATF487

My god, this OP rules. I love the flavor profiles.

Going to France in the fall, hope to find some lovely wines to take home with me.

Rafy

This is an awesome OP!

Wine is one of the reasons I love living in Italy. I've tried most of the different types listed in the regional map, and each one of them is quite good.

My favorite is a Cannonau that has been aged for 5 to 6 years. Even before I decant it, it is one of the smoothest wines I've had to date. Granted, it's a light/medium bodied wine, but it is still very tasty. Mostly fruity and a bit spiced.

My other favorites are Nero d'Avola, Sangiovese, Chianti and Lambrusco.

One of the only reds I can't stand is Syrah. It's just too acidic for me and ends up ruining my meal.

As for whites I haven't had some in quite a while. I'll see if I can fix that this weekend and pick up something at the store. I'm open to suggestions, so fire away. Only one condition, it must be Italian wine.

IceCold

lmao at the fact that OP has no wine map of Portugal, yet has maps of Ontario, etc. It's ok, the country only has like 250+ grape varieties, many of which are native and not found in other countries.

MadSol

Unconfirmed Member
I took a wine appreciation class last semester just for something to do out of my ordinary routine.
Usual class had tastings of 4 different wines from a region. This was a great way to taste many different vintages especially since a lot of them were much higher price than my typical wine budget.
Class was like $230 taught by a chef and I definitely received well above that in wine and knowledge. Students also brought in wines for tasting.
For white wine I discovered Vouvray and Rioja in the reds - among many others.
I would encourage anyone that could take part in something like this to give it a try.

Edit: Tonight uncorking Coppola Shiraz 2012
Update: 4/10, smelled lightly of berries and alcohol, very dark red with moderate browning, medium body, and moderate tannin. Not as good as some of the other Coppola's and not as good as many other Shiraz.

+1 for Apothic Reds, good and good on the budget.

I had this sweet red wine, brand was called Lambrusco, and ended up being the best thing in the world for me. I absolutely loved it.

I just hope I can find the specific one I had one day. Lol

Awesome OP.

Recently I've been sticking mostly with blends, especially the ones I find at Costco: Apothic Red and Menage a Trois. About 8 bucks a pop, and they are surprisingly good (to me).

I love Italian wines. There's nothing like a good Montepulciano or Nero d'Avola to go with dinner (and before and after dinner). Even the cheap stuff is tasty.

Micapo

I like my reds. Been to vineyards in Australia (hunter valley) and the US of A (Sonoma and Napa) and was out with a buddy last weekend and he mixed his red with coke! He apparentely always does.

Tasted and it was not that bad but it just feels so wrong on so many levels.

Any of you guys heard of it or even mix it yourselves?

codhand

I like my reds. Been to vineyards in Australia (hunter valley) and the US of A (Sonoma and Napa) and was out with a buddy last weekend and he mixed his red with coke! He apparentely always does.

it can be a good combo actually, and is currently a pretty trendy cocktail

Crushed ice, red wine, mexi-coke.

Taboo? sure, but whatever

GiJoccin

Menage a Trois. About 8 bucks a pop, and they are surprisingly good (to me).

if you like Menage a Trois, that blend was initially created by Scott Harvey, who now makes wines under his own label. They tend to have a slight touch of sweetness or port flavor, as he likes to blend a touch of port in many of his wines. If you see some, give em a shot, they're often up for sale on wine.woot if they're not available near you!

MadSol

Unconfirmed Member
Was hoping this thread hit more updates, would like to hear from others on their favorites or new discoveries. And OP had a nice fairly thorough layout of information.

Last bottle uncorked 14 Hands out WA state 2013 red blend. I personally really enjoyed it, had flavors reminiscent of a much more aged red plus price was around $10 if I recall. 8/10

I sipped on it after dinner while starting my play through of Doom on PS4, fell off the edge and died a couple times.

MadSol

Unconfirmed Member
Going to the Chicago City Wine Fest tomorrow. Bout to get educated (and drunk off samples)

Kids have games today and tomorrow otherwise I was going to drive down with the Mrs. and check it out. Have fun and give an update on how it goes.

codhand

Was hoping this thread hit more updates, would like to hear from others on their favorites or new discoveries. And OP had a nice fairly thorough layout of information.

Last bottle uncorked 14 Hands out WA state 2013 red blend. I personally really enjoyed it, had flavors reminiscent of a much more aged red plus price was around $10 if I recall. 8/10

I sipped on it after dinner while starting my play through of Doom on PS4, fell off the edge and died a couple times.

Nice, WA is known for their red blends, I tried one recently when I was out there, and it was affordable and good.

Lost River Winery

Western Columbia Valley Red 2013

codhand

Sour Grapes is up on Netflix gonna add it to the OP

Highly recommended viewing

"The documentary “Sour Grapes” retraces the detective work that uncovered what is thought to be the largest case of wine counterfeiting in history."

Icefire1424

A few weeks ago I had to take a day trip from Syracuse NY down to Pennsylvania. Took a slightly longer route that had me following the Eastern shore of Seneca lake, going straight through wine country. I forgot just how many vineyards and wineries there are along the Finger Lakes wine trail. It almost feels like Central New York turns into Italy or France for awhile. Pretty cool.

Made a pit stop at one winery on the way home, as my wife particularly likes a cranberry wine the place is famous for. She picked up two bottles of that, I grabbed 4 more bottles.

Good times.

In other news, I'm making chicken riggies for dinner tonight, and did put a bottle of Chardonnay in the fridge to chill for the occasion. Looking forward to that.

codhand

Hoping to maybe kickstart this thread, I added a couple new flicks, A Year In Port (On Amazon Prime) and Barolo Boys, both great.

Zackat

Wow nice thread.

My brother is a sommelier so I always just ask him to buy me wines. Surprised this thread didn't get more attention TBH.

bowery

Wheres the natty wine GAF at, recently had the latest boutanche from selection massale (riesling from swabia), fucking awesome

codhand

Wheres the natty wine GAF at, recently had the latest boutanche from selection massale (riesling from swabia), fucking awesome

that reisling sounds dope, ill have to try and seek it out

selection massale brands are dope, shout out gaf alumnus working there

love natty wines over here

had a few from Domaine de Saint Pierre and Philippe Bornard ones recently, and all were excellent
screenshot_20170610-0jujee.png

and of course Frank Cornelissen has good and well blown up thanks to heavy exposure from people as random as Action Bronson, it helps that Susucara and Contadino are great and widely available

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Nice thread.

Well, I've been drinking wine in a more serious way for about 5 years now. My taste change for a variety of reasons. I think vintage has an impact. For a while, all I drank was Bordeaux, I later find out we had 3 great vintages one after another.

Now I'm drinking Italian mostly. Dolcetto and some sangiovese blends. I like the softer stuff. Napa wines are good but I rarely drink them. Prices don't help there either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom