• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wine |OT| - Vino Where You Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

codhand

I like port wine, tawny port in particular. Brand of choice is Taylor Fladgate.

Taylor is great but im not big on Tawny, because the point in time at which you purchase a tawny is how it will taste forever, you cant really age it like you can a vintage or ruby port, where you can buy one bottle and keep it for decades as it evolves.

demented

I could use some help from wine experts.
For a longest time I thought I couldn't drink wine. Each and every one tasted the same to me, this disgusting sorta sour but not sharp sour but really disgusting taste. I tried both cheap and expensive ones from my country, all the friends like them but to me... terrible. I thought I just couldn't process the acidity or something, until I went to one farm in Tuscany.
While I was in Florence I went to a tour of this place ( http://fattoriapoggioalloro.com/products/wine/?lang=en )and tried 4 of their wines, I don't remember if 2 were red or white but it was 2 of either of those, 1 opposite and 1 dessert wine and all were magnificent. It was amazing, I always wanted to drink wine and finally it tasted like I thought it should.
Then I tried buying some other Chianti and while it didn't taste as bad as before it was still terrible for me... So I don't know what the fuck is problem with me, what I should be looking for, should I just give up since if it's this hard to figure it out it might not be worth it in the end. I don't want to just order their stuff and only drink that, I wanna figure out what actually fucks with me when it comes to wine and then based on that find the wines I can drink.

It's not easiest thing trying to figure out because I have to buy a bottle and after taking a sip and not liking it I wasted the bottle, get friends to drink it but wines aren't that cheap so testing it all out can get expensive...

GiJoccin

Shortest answer is to buy a variety of Chianti at different price points with the help of someone at a wine store. Also try more than a sip. Often times when you pop and pour you can get some off flavors, like sulfur, that will blow off once the wine has time to open up. Even if a few hours doesn't do the trick, leave it on the counter and try it the next day, or even the day after.

Keep in mind any wine you buy at a wine store that came from Europe will have a big markup, so if you spent 20 on a bottle in Italy, expect it to be 30 or more likely 40 here...

*Edit also keep in mind when you're traveling, everything tastes better

codhand

I could use some help from wine experts.
For a longest time I thought I couldn't drink wine. Each and every one tasted the same to me, this disgusting sorta sour but not sharp sour but really disgusting taste. I tried both cheap and expensive ones from my country, all the friends like them but to me... terrible. I thought I just couldn't process the acidity or something, until I went to one farm in Tuscany.
While I was in Florence I went to a tour of this place ( http://fattoriapoggioalloro.com/products/wine/?lang=en )and tried 4 of their wines, I don't remember if 2 were red or white but it was 2 of either of those, 1 opposite and 1 dessert wine and all were magnificent. It was amazing, I always wanted to drink wine and finally it tasted like I thought it should.
Then I tried buying some other Chianti and while it didn't taste as bad as before it was still terrible for me... So I don't know what the fuck is problem with me, what I should be looking for, should I just give up since if it's this hard to figure it out it might not be worth it in the end. I don't want to just order their stuff and only drink that, I wanna figure out what actually fucks with me when it comes to wine and then based on that find the wines I can drink.

It's not easiest thing trying to figure out because I have to buy a bottle and after taking a sip and not liking it I wasted the bottle, get friends to drink it but wines aren't that cheap so testing it all out can get expensive...

try different shit, check the OP to help figure out what type of wines you like, enjoy the experience (even of the bad ones), and yes ask for help when in the wine store, tell them you had a tuscan you liked, see what they recommend.. there are wines for every palate.

demented

Buying bottles to test out is getting expensive and gotta pause for a bit... I'm thinking about going to some wine bars/places and see what they have to offer per glass or ask for sommelier's suggestion. My main concern is after testing out 5 6 different kinds recently, if I can't enjoy "major" ones, if I find one that I can is it even worth it when I probably can't even get it at most places (I rarely drink at home). At this point I'm close to giving up but still want to figure out why I could enjoy those 4 in Italy and not dozen others. I doubt it's location and traveling because I travel often and tried wine at various locations and situations and this time it just smelled and tasted different I doubt the taste and smell I get from most others could just be masked that easily even when I went in expecting to not like it.

I'm aware of letting it breathe for a while, serving at certain temperature, I know wine etiquette, I just can't drink it lol
Also I live kinda close to Italy so it's not a big deal, markup is there sure but I assume it;s not as bad as in the US.

ramuh

I've just starting to get into the wine world (switching from hard liquor that is messing me up) and have actually started to develop a taste for red wine. I'm still on boxed wines (bota box redvolution is my fav).

I've just starting to get into the wine world (switching from hard liquor that is messing me up) and have actually started to develop a taste for red wine. I'm still on boxed wines (bota box redvolution is my fav).

You will notice a pretty significant difference when switching over to bottles, especially anything that's aged a few years. Try to find a Cabernet Sauvignon from 2013/2014 for a reasonable price ($15ish) and you should be able to tell the difference in smoothness from what you're tasting out of a box (heavy on tannins).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom