• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FURI | OT | Synthvengeance

ArjanN

Jesus, the last phase of the
Sniper
boss is hard.

Not sure if you did it yet, but focus on dodging only, you have to hold out until she stops firing before you can damage her. Her lock on sniper shots seem scary but they're mostly there to trick you into running into the regular bullets, you actually have more time to get behind cover than you'd think.

Meneses

While I adore the game having no checkpoints for the bosses, there's nothing fun about going through the first 2 or 3 parts of the 7th boss when you're learning their last phase. It's not challenging, it's just a slog to get back to the part I'm having trouble with.

I agree. And having to watch those end of phase mini-cutscenes every time isn't fun either.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
dashing isn't going to change. look back in the thread a bit. there's nothing wrong with it. it works as intended. you dash when you release the button. if you wanna dash quicker, tap the button faster
Yeah. That's what we were saying.

NIN90

While I adore the game having no checkpoints for the bosses, there's nothing fun about going through the first 2 or 3 parts of the 7th boss when you're learning their last phase. It's not challenging, it's just a slog to get back to the part I'm having trouble with.
You can die up to two times per phase. That's plenty of room for error for this kind of game.

randomkid

You can die up to two times per phase. That's plenty of room for error for this kind of game.

Not for those of us who are terrible at action games! I just wish there was an intermediate difficulty with four or five continues per phase for those of us who take forever to learn patterns.

Easy is a hilariously contemptuous difficulty level though, I tried it out of curiosity and the number of phases and patterns it eliminates is basically the dev telling you, you don't deserve our game haha.

BTW playing on PS4 post-patch there are no more jet engine fans during Boss 3 so that's great. And yeah they didn't change the dash, it's still the same.

ArjanN

Stuck at the exact same spot. Can't figure out the timing to doge once
those waves start coming in from the sides as well as the front. Should I be doing a charged dash there?

No, the easiest way to do that bit is to dodge diagonally, so you dodge both the vertical and horizontal wave in one go.

batbeg

Have played up to the seventh boss now, going to set it down since so many call it so tough. I'll get back to it tomorrow. I likethe game a lot but am not a fan of the genre so the difficulty is a little intense for me. I think bosses
3 and 5
were the biggest roadblocks so far, taking me a couple of aggravating hours probably.

Intel_89

Just noticed that the trophy guide for Furi has been made, I might jump back to it now that I know what it takes to get an S rank on Furi/Furier.

mattp

cleared the burst and the edge last night
i love how in the last 2 phases of the edge
if you get perfect parries you can't hurt him lol. had to force myself to play "worse"

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
cleared the burst and the edge last night
i love how in the last 2 phases of the edge
if you get perfect parries you can't hurt him lol. had to force myself to play "worse"
Is this on Furier? Because on Furi you can
dodge through his shockwaves and get up to him that way

mattp

Is this on Furier? Because on Furi you can
dodge through his shockwaves an get up to him that way

nope, normal difficulty. unless i was misunderstanding something, every time i would
get a perfect parry in the side view section, it would trigger a short cutscene of him deflecting my attack and he'd take no damage. but if i got the slightly mistimed parries where you get a little hp back, but he keeps attacking you, i could parry the full combo and then get a hit in each time

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
nope, normal difficulty. unless i was misunderstanding something, every time i would
get a perfect parry in the side view section, it would trigger a short cutscene of him deflecting my attack and he'd take no damage. but if i got the slightly mistimed parries where you get a little hp back, but he keeps attacking you, i could parry the full combo and then get a hit in each time
A right, I never managed to perfect parry him that often. The HP parries worked. But yeah, you can get to him through the shockwaves as well.

lol do we even need to tag all that?

Xevren

If I remember right while perfect parries feel like a waste on Edge I THINK you get enough time to charge up a boost which is a 1 shot on him on the first 3 phases on the next hit.

mattp

what the hell man
boss 10 was such a boring letdown
and now i'm on the
i'm assuming secret 11th boss, this big face thing up in the spaceship and this is terrible... its not fun. what happend to the fast action game i've been playing? this stupid fucking mech suit is so slow and there's no melee attacks anymore. its just holding down R2 to charge beams while i slowly walk between bullets.

DukeBobby

I keep fucking up my speedrun attempts on the easy bosses (The Scale, for example).

I know the target time is quite lenient, but I want a perfect run without any knockouts.

mattp

yo seriously, this fight against
the star is the most underwhelming and frustrating way to end this game possible. why isn't this some crazy test of all the skills i've built up over the past 10 fights? instead they pulled one of my least favorite things to do in a game, and basically have the last fight be some new mechanic/control scheme. i was expecting a fight like senator armstrong in mg rising, and instead its this weird slow ass bullet hell thing.

Last phase of The Line is absolutely fucked on Furier mode.

hqdefault.jpg

(Screencap from a Youtube vid).

3DShovel

yo seriously, this fight against
the star is the most underwhelming and frustrating way to end this game possible. why isn't this some crazy test of all the skills i've built up over the past 10 fights? instead they pulled one of my least favorite things to do in a game, and basically have the last fight be some new mechanic/control scheme. i was expecting a fight like senator armstrong in mg rising, and instead its this weird slow ass bullet hell thing.
Yeah this was really disappointing. I put the game down because of this.

Opa-Pa

Just beat the game,
'secret' boss
included. Got Rank D.

Wow what a experience, I loved it. I think Furi has one of the most fair difficulty balances I've ever seen in an action game.

Most of the ones that have boss battles with multiple phases make it so the fights are always scalating. Bosses normally gain more attacks the more phases you beat until they're nearly invincible. But in Furi whenever I found myself having a hard time against a boss phase and thought "god, the next one will probably be a nightmare" the game surprised me changing the boss' attacks entirely for the next phase, sometimes to make them easier and give me a break.

That made the game never feel unfair. The best example is probably the samurai who deals 3 squares of damage with all his attacks. It seemed impossible at first until I realized I only had to hit him like 6 times per phase and and his attack patterns weren't random at all. Same with the final boss that had a hellish third phase but everything after was relatively simpler and mostly dodging.

My only complaint would be that the samurai was pretty much impossible to beat in one try unlike everyone else, but that's very minor and the fight was pretty special anyway so it's fine.

Hell of a game. Maybe I'll try furier sometime too.

Any tips for the second boss? i am like three days stuck on her, I can reach his unleash form and got destroyed when she start firing that big laser on my face

ZangBa

I got to the sniper on Furier and the last phase pretty easily, but died. Too much of a boring slog to try again without being able to practice the last phase on its own. My only problem with the game is the last phases that are just bullet hell nonsense segments that aren't reasonably doable on the first attempt and having to redo everything if you fail. If they added phase selection to practice mode, I'd be happy. The 3rd boss was really boring, too, but it doesn't take nearly as long, so it's all right.

Momentary

Banned
Finally sat down today and beat the game on PC. What a wonderful experience. Loved the boss fights, the music, and the story. I found all the bosses to be challenging, different, fair, and fun. There were some frustrating moments, but the blame always fell on me for doing stupid stuff. I wish this game had an alternate character to play through the game again. This game was such a surprise!

Man the Rider was almost a straight up cold blooded killer. The way he killed The Beat after her pleading was almost sickening. Then her cry for him to hold her hand going unanswered was damn cold. He did have reservations on most of the bosses. You could tell he felt something. That's why I decided to save the motherfuckin' planet.

The Star took a couple of tries. Some people here seem to hate her, but I thought she was super fun to fight against. I'm a big shoot'em up fan, so all the bullet dodging had me smiling.

KRaZyAmmo

still having trouble with boss 4. and it's in the early stages and mostly when he gets in close and does parry. I can't parry for sh*t.

Ashtar

Any tips for the second boss? i am like three days stuck on her, I can reach his unleash form and got destroyed when she start firing that big laser on my face
My mistake was I kept dashing diagonally and getting hot you have to dodge straight through to get to the other side
I'm on the third boss but got frustrated

Time Flashes

Neo Member
PSA: You don't need to get the three S grades in Practice at the same time. For example, you can get S for KOs ans Hits and play again to get S for Time. No matter what grades you get for the other two categories, you'll get an overall S. Just go back to Main Menu an you'll see.

Discover that today after trying to get all S grades for the sniper boss yesterday. Could have saved me some frustration.

Ludens

Banned
I read there's a choice to do in the ending, if I make a backup of my save and upload it on Cloud, can I see both endings with one play?

Roussow

The dash in this game is pretty weird I always got hit despite dashing when the ray is coming at me.

I don't think you really have invincibility on the dash, it's more accurately a short teleport -- so you'll easily get hit coming out of a dash if you don't account for that. I didn't realize at the time I could charge my dash, so dashing through the lasers required literally required perfect timing without a charge, and I'd come out of a dash in the middle of the laser.

I'd also suggest using L1 for dashing instead of x most of the time, by using L1 it's super easy to fire with the right stick whilst dashing, and charge attacks while dashing.

Beat the game today,
started the post game optional(?) boss.
I'll come back to that one later, I've usually just been playing one boss a play session -- and at the very least looking at the next boss to see its gimmicks.

Ludens

Banned
So, I finally beat the game with the "true" ending (so "secret boss" included), and...I'm disappointed. This is my little analysis, but I want to do a premise: I'm not new to action game, I played a LOT of them in my thirty years of life (a similar game I completed recently was Metal Gear Rising, on Revengeance difficulty, getting all S including the DLCs), and I'm also ok with challenging games: I like them. But...Furi is hard for the difficulty reason.

Way too often the game seems to go in "try until you will manage to pass it" mode, and way too often you feel like you accomplished nothing, only having a lucky run. The last phase of the secret boss was EXASPERATING to me, and not because I wasn't good (in fact I manage to get to the last phase with all lives), but because it's simply unfair. Also the game has a lot of tearing and sometimes a small freeze happens, and this pretty much screw your run, because with that delay you will take one hit, and often one hit in this game means you will take another. Depending on what hits you, it could be game.over.
In a skill, time-based game like this you can't have technical issues. Not at all.

But generally I feel like the game is very unbalanced.
The hardest fight for me was the one against the third boss, while I completed some of them during my first try. Like, the last two regular bosses are really a piece of cake compared to the rest.

The game is unbalanced simply because, after you fight among 4,5 or 6 phases, you often get screwed by the last phase, which throw you literally the world. So you die, you die, you die again and eventually you will beat the last phase and proceed. It's simply boring, considering some bosses are really long to beat.

It feels like devs here bumped up the difficulty for no real reasons. I'm from the NES era, so I faced a lot of hard titles in my life, but only with this one I felt like I was struggling to go on becase devs liked the idea to force the player to do the same fight for hours until he will pass it, eventually. And I mastered pretty much all moves, from the regenerating health parry, to dashing around and charging your sword. But too often no matter how skilled you are, you will die because you don't know what that phase will present to you. And since some phases have different stages, it will take time to learn the pattern, but meanwhile you need to face all the other phases again and again. The last phase of the last boss is really infamous for this.

The soundtrack in this game is top notch, the character design too, the world is charming and the dialogues very well written, I liked the simple gameplay here but I feel like normal mode should be much less challenging, because for now it's simply frustrating as hell. I wanted to try Furier, but thinking about the fact I need to face again the third boss with his infinite first phase, sniper and Star last phases...no. I'm ok with what I've done here, there are other titles to pass my time with.

ArjanN

Way too often the game seems to go in "try until you will manage to pass it" mode, and way too often you feel like you accomplished nothing, only having a lucky run.

I don't really agree with this. Once you understand the patterns/gimmicks of the bosses it's totally possible to beat them consistently.

I also don't really agree with the game being unbalanced, because I think except for some of the phases/bosses that are clearly easier on purpose, the game does a good job of slowly layering on difficulty.

daman824

I don't really agree with this. Once you understand the patterns/gimmicks of the bosses it's totally possible to beat them consistently.

I also don't really agree with the game being unbalanced, because I think except for some of the phases/bosses that are clearly easier on purpose, the game does a good job of slowly layering on difficulty.
I definitely agree with him. The last phase of the fourth boss in particular is completely at odds with any of the previous parts of the fights. And it's simply not fun. For the longest time I could consistently beat his first few phases until he threw the grid down. It's not fair, and it's not rewarding.

I'm also ok with challenging games: I like them. But...Furi is hard for the difficulty reason.

Way too often the game seems to go in "try until you will manage to pass it" mode, and way too often you feel like you accomplished nothing, only having a lucky run. The last phase of the secret boss was EXASPERATING to me, and not because I wasn't good (in fact I manage to get to the last phase with all lives), but because it's simply unfair.

It feels like devs here bumped up the difficulty for no real reasons. I'm from the NES era, so I faced a lot of hard titles in my life, but only with this one I felt like I was struggling to go on becase devs liked the idea to force the player to do the same fight for hours until he will pass it, eventually. And I mastered pretty much all moves, from the regenerating health parry, to dashing around and charging your sword. But too often no matter how skilled you are, you will die because you don't know what that phase will present to you. And since some phases have different stages, it will take time to learn the pattern, but meanwhile you need to face all the other phases again and again. The last phase of the last boss is really infamous for this.

I definitely agree with him. The last phase of the fourth boss in particular is completely at odds with any of the previous parts of the fights. And it's simply not fun. For the longest time I could consistently beat his first few phases until he threw the grid down. It's not fair, and it's not rewarding.
I fail to see how Furi is unfair, erring on the side of trial-and-error even from how you're making basic pattern recognition (the core process of any skill-based action game) sound, when the game goes out of its way to gradually build up what a given boss is capable off with the final waves often culminating into a combination of what occurred during the previous waves. Never mind the visual tells between the types of attacks being very distinct from one another. "Not knowing what to expect" or "forcing the same fight for hours" is ridiculously overblown.

Permanently A

Fifth boss is way more fun and easier than the fourth boss. Like the fourth one is manageable, but his parry timing never clicked with me, its so erratic. Not to mention that final phase. Whereas the fifth boss is so much fun to fight. The parries aren't hard and dodging his ranged attacks to land meaty charged blades is damn satisfying.

Xevren

If you guys hate the grid stuff during his last phase on the 4th boss, you can charge shot the green balls that create the lines so they never create the grid. Assuming you can spot when he's about to shoot them, but if you're having trouble with him as is I doubt you'll be able to manage it honestly.

Permanently A

Oh god, what have I done. I heard there was a
secret ending in the garden
so I stayed there and now all my progress has been wiped.

Does anyone have a solution or a save right before the sixth boss?

edit: anyone else who did the same thing I did, I went to my save file and was able to restore it to the previous save yesterday. I have to redo two fights but at least I don't have to deal with the fucking old man again.

MattDoza

The last phase of
the "secret" boss
is destroying me. Fuck.

It's a tough one. I haven't played the game in days because the game finally broke me and made me angry. It's a tough final phase. You have to survive so much with one string of health and no heal drops.

Greddleok

The 7th boss really highlights the weaknesses of the game.

All the phases up until the final one are too easy, then you get there and it's incredibly difficult.
When I inevitably fail, I've got to start the whole thing all over again. Lose a little bit of enthusiasm each time I have to restart.

Ludens

Banned

Well, the last phase of the sniper and last boss are explicative for my example. I understood the pattern, even phisically memorized timing, but still I died again, and again, and again because usually if you got hit once (depending on what hits you), you are done. And those phases are way too long. Do you want to do an hard game? It's ok for me, but put checkpoints after a couple of phases. I mean, even MGR gave you a checkpoint after each boss phase. If you want reward people, just put a trophy for getting S rank (so they will eventually quit the game when they die etc...and I think people already do this to get trophies anyway), but don't create a frustrating experience just for the sake of it.
I liked the game, as I wrote, but there are unfair or exasperating aspects of it, like boss fights dragging too long, of unfair last phases. I mean, I fight something for 15-20 minutes, just to die miserably during the last phase because I need to learn the pattern. And I will die again after I learned the second part of the phase and so on. This is when a game stops to be funny and turns into being a frustrating experience for me.

Do you want I learn the pattern? That's ok, but give me checkpoints, don't force me to to the whole fight again and again from the beginning. If you want penalize me, put a trophy for getting S rank on all fights, but the way the game is designed will turn off a lot of people on playing it.

Top Bottom