• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound |OT| Boundless...

Vex_

Banned
Did you guys know you can get "pokeballs" and catch any damaged monster? Because you can. And then you can summon them at will.

I think I need a moment.

wamberz1

Thanks, went with triple jump and it's pretty good. Also really helps with avoiding fall damage.

On a side note, and not totally in this situation or anything, but what's the plan if you get stranded in a solar system without moons and have no fuel?

WaterAstro

Thanks, went with triple jump and it's pretty good. Also really helps with avoiding fall damage.

On a side note, and not totally in this situation or anything, but what's the plan if you get stranded in a solar system without moons and have no fuel?

As far as I can tell, there are moons in every star system.

There is always a source of fuel on a moon or asteroid, but you can also buy fuel at the outpost.

Vex_

Banned
Found my first snow planet... and uh.... the monsters here are absolute savage. They two shot you.

All they do is rush you as soon as they see you. Fucking A. Good thing is that I can recover my stuff since I don't go to far from the landing sight.

On another note, how long does your stuff stay there before it disappears? I'm used to Minecraft/terraria where if you die twice or if 5 minutes pass your stuff is gone.

Live died twice before retrieving my stuff and it was still there. I've also taken WAYYY more than 5 mins before getting to my stuff again. I wonder...?

I decided to ignore the questing in this game since wasn't enjoying the scanning the races or the random go to x and kill Y or bring me z. I'm enjoying the game a lot more now that I focused on exploration, upgrading and building my simple little home.
My dream goal is to get the Penguin cosmetic suit, after that the Cthulhu monster can do what ever with the universe.

Retro

I have to say I feel really self-conscious about building anything in this world. My rectangular buildings that have very little variation will look like shit compared to yours. Maybe I will build underground to hide it. :)

No need to feel that way; building stuff is the whole reason I get into games like this, the multiplayer / exploration / combat component are just perks. I've got 1400 hours in Terraria and 860 hours in Starbound (and almost all of that was before 1.0). I have zero hours in Minecraft, largely because I'm worried about how much impact it would have on my life if I started playing it, and as such I've absolutely avoided it.

99% of that time is spent building stuff, tearing it down, making it better, learning little visual tricks, etc., so I've just spent a ton of time getting to the point where the stuff I make looks impressive. It's nothing more than "I have a lot of free time" and "I like making aesthetically pleasing stuff", the same as any kind of creative exercise; anyone can learn to draw / paint / sculpt / etc.

There's also something to be said for the fact that I've got access to admin commands and can spawn building materials and stuff when I need it. For what it's worth, my "real" character (the one who's progressing through the game without cheats) lives here;

DDetg1X.jpg

Sad!

It hasnt even been a week yet. Retro hasnt even BEGUN to build.

I'm taking it slow and focusing on getting GAF base done before I do anything outlandish. I wanted to have a healing area and food area up right at spawn for people who need to heal / eat quickly. We received a HUGE donation of arcade games, so I spent last night making a little arcade underground (I'm trying to spread things out a bit so the beam-down location doesn't get super laggy, thus the large sections of hallway, the long stairwell, elevators, etc.)

I think tonight I'll focus on the crafting structure (above the cafe) and make sure we've got a teleport pad so people can bookmark the planet. I haven't wanted to put one down yet because I wasn't 100% sure on the layout.

Grinchy

Banned
Someone on the team, at some point, should have raised their hand and said, "Um...don't you think people are going to hate these scanning quests? Shouldn't we maybe get rid of them or make it so less items need to be scanned? There's nothing fun about this mechanic whatsoever."

Retro

Someone on the team, at some point, should have raised their hand and said, "Um...don't you think people are going to hate these scanning quests? Shouldn't we maybe get rid of them or make it so less items need to be scanned? There's nothing fun about this mechanic whatsoever."

I actually like it in the "Star Trek"-ian sense; you're visiting worlds and investigating civilizations by scanning their stuff and avoiding hostilities.

Check back when I have to do it for *every* race though, and I'll probably agree, or at least say that they should have had you scan less items or been able to gain progress in other ways like doing quests for members of that race... maybe even killing them off to learn how they fight.

Dude, that shit ain't sad... that is a fly as fuck mansion... I'm stealing a few ideas from you. I love seeing other peoples creations!!! Hopefully I can stop restarting and settle on a character.

Right, but it's kind of shabby compared to what's on the GAF server. The point is that it's really just a bunch of stacked rectangles with sparse furniture and almost no decoration, which is what Raijin was saying.

1073, 1084 - "Celestal Grasp V" is the current GAF world.

The screenshot above is from my single player universe.

Ah forgot to say, thanks for the tip about buying the machine to sell food for TerraMart.

Even with my small farm, I am making a good ammount of pixels for harvest. :)

Landford

Banned
For those who played the beta tons of hours like I did, there is a mod called Fraking Universe that adds a shit ton of new biomes, itens, armors and weapons. It kinda breaks the base game a bit, but the added worlds feel a lot more alien and weird than anything Chucklefish was able to do in vanilla. Just chilling on a
Dead Civilization World with ruined buildings and eternal ash rain and killer robots

kvothe

Is there a way to determine where you will teleport down onto a planet? I guess I messed up my original teleport spot and now it keeps placing me far away from my base when I teleport down. I've seen teleport booths for sale at the Ark area, is that the only solution?

Exuro

Is there a way to determine where you will teleport down onto a planet? I guess I messed up my original teleport spot and now it keeps placing me far away from my base when I teleport down. I've seen teleport booths for sale at the Ark area, is that the only solution?
Make a flag and you can set a teleport to it. What great is you can be on the other side of the universe and still teleport there.

Landford

Banned

You can craft a Banner (Some fabric and copper) and place it at your base and interact with it. It will set a bookmark for you to spawn from anywhere in the galaxy.

Edit: Nevermind, beaten

BooJoh

I am guessing a normal controller doesnt work for this game, has anyone tried a Steam controller?

I tried it out without even bothering to leave my ship, it's about as bad as you'd expect using the default config. Maybe someone out there could come up with something that would allow you to shift between combat and building modes or something, but by default it's all but impossible to aim, jump, and dig/shoot at the same time, and you end up walking around facing one direction because your aim is eternally tied to the mouse cursor on the right pad.

Like I said, someone might be able to make something workable (I've seen something similar done with Grim Dawn where it actually felt relatively natural with a controller by tying both mouse position and clicking to the left stick) but I wouldn't bother out-of-the-box.

Read on the wiki you can dual wield grappling hook :D ... so I craft two and it doesn't work. Found a thread and it seems it was removed, not sure if it was intentional.

Two questions, unsure if the info on the wiki is correct.

1. Killed Dreadwing but he dropped no items besides the book and it didn't give me another quest
  2. When does the Treasure Trophies spawn?

I'm having fun with the story missions mostly (not a sandbox-y kind of player), but I'm a bit annoyed at how poorly progression is designed.

How am I supposed to know (when playing blind with no outside FAQ) what kind of weapon and armor to get next ? I just bought some armor from some random shop with better stats that what I had, but seems mostly random on what they can sell.

Read on the wiki you can dual wield grappling hook :D ... so I craft two and it doesn't work. Found a thread and it seems it was removed, not sure if it was intentional.

Two questions, unsure if the info on the wiki is correct.

1. Killed Dreadwing but he dropped no items besides the book and it didn't give me another quest
  2. When does the Treasure Trophies spawn?

Dreadwing info on wiki is certainly old and outdated. Now, beating him unlocks the bar and you can buy dubloons to pay penguins to become crewmates. It costs 3 diamonds per hire. It's not bad if you have the extra diamonds lying around. I just upgraded my ship with 6 diamonds.

How am I supposed to know (when playing blind with no outside FAQ) what kind of weapon and armor to get next ? I just bought some armor from some random shop with better stats that what I had, but seems mostly random on what they can sell.

Just follow the recipe from the crafting station (anvil). You can upgrade the station and it will unlock more recipes, higher stat means higher tier. So the game does tell you what armor to get next. The shop armor at least from what I found is kinda shitty compared to crafting your own but it is easier to get.

Sarcasm

Game could be better. It isn't pulling me like Terraria does.

Yea I spent all my modules on speed upgrades, but now I need poison. Where is best to get the manu modules?

WaterAstro

I decided to ignore the questing in this game since wasn't enjoying the scanning the races or the random go to x and kill Y or bring me z. I'm enjoying the game a lot more now that I focused on exploration, upgrading and building my simple little home.
My dream goal is to get the Penguin cosmetic suit, after that the Cthulhu monster can do what ever with the universe.

The story quest is exploring. You should be scanning everything anyways as it allows you to print the furniture that you scanned from a crafting table.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
my god it took ages to get 1.0 working.

A mess up uninstalling, reinstalling, updating windows, deleting old C++ redists and installing new ones, having them not work, restarting, and trying again until it magically works.

WaterAstro

For those doing survival, rice can stack, so you can just cook boiled rice whenever you need it. Just a thought I had to solve survival problems.

Skinpop

what's the point of the backpacks with lights? you cant use them because you need the retarded life support system. there's so much shit like this in the game, I feel like the devs just kept adding stuff without ever thinking about gameplay. at this point I'm struggling to think of any part of the game outside of pixelwork that is done well.

Just follow the recipe from the crafting station (anvil). You can upgrade the station and it will unlock more recipes, higher stat means higher tier. So the game does tell you what armor to get next. The shop armor at least from what I found is kinda shitty compared to crafting your own but it is easier to get.

It's a good thing then that they separated story progression from the rest of the progression. It was pretty obnoxious before tbh. You had to do the story to get to higher tier planets and stuff. And they were smart to let it be optional.

what's the point of the backpacks with lights? you cant use them because you need the retarded life support system. there's so much shit like this in the game, I feel like the devs just kept adding stuff without ever thinking about gameplay. at this point I'm struggling to think of any part of the game outside of pixelwork that is done well.

Yeah okay...

The game is incredible, they just really need to stop with the content updates and polish up what is there. There are a lot of little logic gaps in the mechanics and design that need to be addressed before they start throwing more stuff into it.

ameratsu

I'm mostly enjoying Starbound so far, glad I waited until release to start playing. The pixel art, exploration, and music are probably the highlights of the game so far. I'm playing on Survival mode.

One thing that bothers me is how easy it is to cheese enemies. Enemies and bosses seem to have predictable attack and movement patterns that lead to boring fights. An early dungeon type I encountered was the
USCM Prison
. It was so hilariously easy to clear the entire area with minimal effort, and there was barely any reward for doing so. So... maybe i'm doing something wrong?

I agree with some thoughts here on the scanning mechanic missions being a real head scratcher, because that's at best side-quest material. The sort of side quest you never do because you would rather play the main story, but it is the main story.

Trickster

Ugh, so I'm stuck in this game. I have to scan floran colonies or something? Problem is that I have no fucking clue what that is supposed to look like. I've checked the planets I can fly to that match what the game tells me is where they are, but I can't find anything.

Also, I have like 10 energy manipulator upgrade modules, but I can't find any way to actually use them to upgrade my manipulator?

Ugh, so I'm stuck in this game. I have to scan floran colonies or something? Problem is that I have no fucking clue what that is supposed to look like. I've checked the planets I can fly to that match what the game tells me is where they are, but I can't find anything.

Also, I have like 10 energy manipulator upgrade modules, but I can't find any way to actually use them to upgrade my manipulator?

I dont know about the first question. Havent done that myself. Too busy getting rich with my small farm lol.

As for the second, look at the right side of the screen. There are several things you can click on. One of them has a drawin of the matter manipulator. Click that one.

The story quest is exploring. You should be scanning everything anyways as it allows you to print the furniture that you scanned from a crafting table.
Should is an odd choice of a word, especially in an open world game. The game doesn't force you to do anything, you can choose what ever tickles your pickle. What I care about is the penguin costume the rest is secondary. That quest line is not fun for me... DOOD!!!

You can check the wiki if you need help with the items it has a list of what you need to scan. My least favorite quest of the series.

WaterAstro

Should is an odd choice of a word, especially in an open world game. The game doesn't force you to do anything, you can choose what ever tickles your pickle. What I care about is the penguin costume the rest is secondary. That quest line is not fun for me... DOOD!!!

A majority of the game is about making buildings. Unlocking decorations is a huge part of it.
It's like playing Pokemon and not catching Pokemon.

Do you not want to play the game?

And as I said in the same post, the story quest makes you explore. You are required to visit the city of every civilization. That is exploring.

You can check the wiki if you need help with the items it has a list of what you need to scan. My least favorite quest of the series.
You don't need to check the wiki. You go to a Floran place and scan everything that's highlighted blue, which means you haven't scanned it before.

I am on the same Quest for about 3 hours and my progress bar is about 1/20th of the way to complete...no idea

edit nvm thanks happy

A majority of the game is about making buildings. Unlocking decorations is a huge part of it.
It's like playing Pokemon and not catching Pokemon.

Do you not want to play the game?

And as I said in the same post, the story quest makes you explore. You are required to visit the city of every civilization. That is exploring.

Then call me an odd dog but I'll continue playing for the penguin costume Dood. In all seriousness everyone plays there own game, we decide what goals we want and how to fulfill them, the game provides you a set of rules and tools but you can do what ever you want. So I'll ignore content that you consider core and important and just play around the penguin suit doood!!

WaterAstro

Then call me an odd dog but I'll continue playing for the penguin costume Dood. In all seriousness everyone plays there own game, we decide what goals we want and how to fulfill them, the game provides you a set of rules and tools but you can do what ever you want. So I'll ignore content that you consider core and important and just play around the penguin suit doood!!

Whatever you want. I have the penguin suit. 30 diamonds and you get it.

Might need to progress to unlock the Treasure vendor.

I don't get the argument that he is not playing the game right. The devs from the outset said they wanted to design a game where you could focus on what you want. That's why they got rid of exploration being tied to story progression. At one point you could not go to higher tier planets because the tech to survive there was locked into a chain of quests. Now you only need to build the EPPs which are completely separate from story progression to get to late tier planets.

At one point you couldn't play the story without getting higher tier armors, which required mining. For example, the erichus mission literally required you to be wearing iron armor to get access to the mission. They scrapped that too, because they wanted a sandbox game where you can focus on what you want.

You upgrade your manipulator by clicking on the manipulator tab off to the top right side.

AS for floran, you have to search more planets.

I added a super secret hide away with some special stuff on GAFplanet. It took me two hours but I finally did it!

WaterAstro

I don't get the argument that he is not playing the game right. The devs from the outset said they wanted to design a game where you could focus on what you want. That's why they got rid of exploration being tied to story progression. At one point you could not go to higher tier planets because the tech to survive there was locked into a chain of quests. Now you only need to build the EPPs which are completely separate from story progression to get to late tier planets.

At one point you couldn't play the story without getting higher tier armors, which required mining. For example, the erichus mission literally required you to be wearing iron armor to get access to the mission. They scrapped that too, because they wanted a sandbox game where you can focus on what you want.

The story quest makes you explore, find decorations/furniture for building, and visit different planets. If you're doing anything in the game, you're doing what the story was going to make you do anyway.

Sure, you could not bother with the story, but it's helping players understand and discover the game in a well-designed progression. You might as well do it because you're exploring anyway. Finding the right places and scanning items aren't hard.

Top Bottom