• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound |OT| Boundless...

Trickster

thanks for answering guys.

Got a new question though. Anyone had issues with those manipulator upgrade modules dissapearing? I am 100% sure I had a decent number of the. But when I just checked now, I only had 2. I am super confused what happened to the rest..

thanks for answering guys.

Got a new question though. Anyone had issues with those manipulator upgrade modules dissapearing? I am 100% sure I had a decent number of the. But when I just checked now, I only had 2. I am super confused what happened to the rest..

If you ut them in a chest, they're in the chest, or you died and dropped them all and then missed them, then they're pretty much gone if you leave the game, I think. Dunno if it stays from planet to planet, but I do know it stays from warp in and warp out.

The story quest makes you explore, find decorations/furniture for building, and visit different planets. If you're doing anything in the game, you're doing what the story was going to make you do anyway.

Sure, you could not bother with the story, but it's helping players understand and discover the game in a well-designed progression. You might as well do it because you're exploring anyway. Finding the right places and scanning items aren't hard.

And the story remains 100% optional...

Sarcasm

Quests are completely skippable. You can craft and build as you want.

Need those block designs, screw the locals take it without questions.

WaterAstro

That isn't even true. If I wanted to I could start a game and get to the last tier of planets and start building without doing any scanning.

Going through the story gets you to the last tier of planets, which is exactly what I said.
Doing the story and not doing the story, you're doing the same thing anyway.

Going through the story gets you to the last tier of planets, which is exactly what I said.
Doing the story and not doing the story, you're doing the same thing anyway.

That isn't true. Like I just said, you don't need to scan anything to get to the last tier of planets. You don't have to do a single mission besides the mining facility. This was all intended by the developers that story progress is separate from exploration/craft/building.

I'm also fairly certain you don't need to get to the last tier of planets to finish the story. You can find glitch villages/dungeons on any tier, just like all the other races.

I can see I am just repeating myself. I guess there is nothing left to say that'll make a difference.

Sarcasm

It isn't the same.

One you are scanning which is annoying and you are basically forced.

Other is doing what you want.

I see a very big difference between the two.

WaterAstro

That isn't true. Like I just said, you don't need to scan anything to get to the last tier of planets. You don't have to do a single mission besides the mining facility. This was all intended by the developers that story progress is separate from exploration/craft/building.

I'm also fairly certain you don't need to get to the last tier of planets to finish the story. You can find glitch villages/dungeons on any tier, just like all the other races.

I can see I am just repeating myself. I guess there is nothing left to say that'll make a difference.

Oh my god, you don't listen!

The story gets you to the last tier of planets!
It is the same result as if you didn't do the story!
Understand it please!

You guys are like "Omg I hate the story. I just want to explore", but the story is exploration. You're complaining about scanning things, but that is exploration. Since you're soooo against doing the story, are you just standing around your ship doing nothing? Because it's clear that you're in a conundrum of hating and wanting to explore.

It isn't the same.

One you are scanning which is annoying and you are basically forced.

Other is doing what you want.

I see a very big difference between the two.

You're forced to go through the tier progression of planets, and if you're telling me you never seen a single village or temple or castle, you're just lying.

Sarcasm

Understand it please!

You guys are like "Omg I hate the story. I just want to explore", but the story is exploration. You're complaining about scanning things, but that is exploration. Since you're soooo against doing the story, are you just standing around your ship doing nothing? Because it's clear that you're in a conundrum of hating and wanting to explore.

You're forced to go through the tier progression of planets, and if you're telling me you never seen a single village or temple or castle, you're just lying.

Not in my starting system. Starter planet in the system I started in had the guaranteed mine though. You need to take a chill pill dude. You're the one being salty. I mean seriously you tell people how it should be played, what do you expect? Nobody is sitting here saying it's different. Saying play it the way you want it, you are not locked out by skipping the quests. That is what we are saying. Do the quests if you want or not.

I don't understand this passive aggressiveness. We are listening, but you are not paying attention.

There is not a right or wrong here, just what you (everybody, not you you) want to do.

What is so hard to understand, there is a difference between being forced to do the quests to get to the higher tier where you have no option to do what you want OR having the option to do the quests or just progress the way you want. The way this game is set up is that you don't need to do the quests.

I mean sure yea you may as well do it, but that is up to that person. No need to force things down peoples throats.

Vex_

Banned
OK. Guys. I think I need help. I'm addicted.

I'm away from the game right now, and I'm still thinking about it. I'm thinking about playing it. I'm thinking about catching more monsters. I'm thinking about buying that ability to send farm supplies from anywhere in game (for money!) . I'm thinking about renting out my home to some tenants by buying a deed.

Last time I played, I was off from work. So I played for like 9 hours straight. The only reason I stopped was because I was starting to get that Call of duty wounded tunnel vision. You know when you are in a cutscene in first person view, and you get wounded...? And they make you walk slowly until you pass out? Yea... that.

It has been awhile since I've done this with a game. :0

WaterAstro

Not in my starting system. Starter planet in the system I started in had the guaranteed mine though. You need to take a chill pill dude. You're the one being salty. I mean seriously you tell people how it should be played, what do you expect? Nobody is sitting here saying it's different. Saying play it the way you want it, you are not locked out by skipping the quests. That is what we are saying. Do the quests if you want or not.

I don't understand this passive aggressiveness. We are listening, but you are not paying attention.

There is not a right or wrong here, just what you (everybody, not you you) want to do.

What is so hard to understand, there is a difference between being forced to do the quests to get to the higher tier where you have no option to do what you want OR having the option to do the quests or just progress the way you want. The way this game is set up is that you don't need to do the quests.

I mean sure yea you may as well do it, but that is up to that person. No need to force things down peoples throats.

So are you telling me you're just sticking around your starter system and not doing anything else?

Sarcasm

Don't think I would have maxed crafting tables if I didn't, right? I don't understand what yea trying to imply here. I found a floran village on the next system over. But after that haven't progressed quest wise at all. Namely because the quests are really forgettable.

I been through a few systems. On a dangerous system ATM.

Though what I really need is more cotton seeds, I haven't seen them in the outpost either =S

WaterAstro

Don't think I would have maxed crafting tables if I didn't, right? I don't understand what yea trying to imply here. I found a floran village on the next system over. But after that haven't progressed quest wise at all. Namely because the quests are really forgettable.

I been through a few systems. On a dangerous system ATM.

Though what I really need is more cotton seeds, I haven't seen them in the outpost either =S

Uh that floran village, if I think it is the layout I'm thinking of, would have completed the entire quest.

Sarcasm

Oh I am on the water people one, which I have totally ignored for awhile. I blew through the floran one. Though I don't even remember what was done. Only know the vague idea is from the intro with the monster.

For people not finding villages, just look up coordinates on Google. When I get to doing the quests that what I plan to do.

Trickster

How do I find crewmates? Played the game for hours now and still can't upgrade my ship for more space because crew size is tied to it apparently..

goblin

How do I find crewmates? Played the game for hours now and still can't upgrade my ship for more space because crew size is tied to it apparently..

Do sidequests for people in villages and sometimes they'll randomly join your crew. My favorite one to do is the bounty hunt on a named target. If your target surrenders and you put away your weapon, they'll either call in reinforcements (bad) or offer to join up with you (good!). Alternately, if you beat Dreadwing you can trade the Breakeasy bartender three diamonds for a dubloon and give one of those to the penguin mercenaries to recruit them.

Or you could pay out a grip of pixels for a fake license to skip the crew requirement for that ship stage.

duckroll

The quest system in this game really needs a revamp. I feel that it's one of those aspects of the game design which was born out of them overpromising on what the game would be, and the end result here is what they managed to make out of what they had. It's not very well thought out and pretty annoying. First of all, there should be a lower limit on the number of quests available in a single village in at the same time. There should also be a cooldown on quest types for a few days at least, after completing one. There shouldn't be dupe quests active at the same time. It becomes really stupid when you get 2-3 of the same type of quests, sometimes at the same locations (rescue X from Y, kill X at Y, collect X, etc) and they all pile up. It also makes me not want to read any of the text when it becomes so obvious that they are very standard templates with just names changed. I've had numerous active quests with the same sort of quest header and quest text just with different names, and even in the same locations. That sort of thing cheapens an experience and makes the random generation very obvious. Poor design there.

Understand it please!

I'll give it one last shot. But before that, stop saying I am not the one understanding. I've already been through the game in beta several times, including this version. I already understand the facts. I don't even understand why you're trying to argue. If people don't like going around scanning everything in villages and dungeons (and it can be a little tedious imo) and if they also don't care about the story, they don't have to do it.

The story has elements of exploration. But that is not all it is. Stop pretending that if you're exploring, you're doing the story anyway. It's just not the truth.

Frankly, the story is whatever to me to begin with. I didn't come for a story.

The quest system in this game really needs a revamp. I feel that it's one of those aspects of the game design which was born out of them overpromising on what the game would be, and the end result here is what they managed to make out of what they had. It's not very well thought out and pretty annoying. First of all, there should be a lower limit on the number of quests available in a single village in at the same time. There should also be a cooldown on quest types for a few days at least, after completing one. There shouldn't be dupe quests active at the same time. It becomes really stupid when you get 2-3 of the same type of quests, sometimes at the same locations (rescue X from Y, kill X at Y, collect X, etc) and they all pile up. It also makes me not want to read any of the text when it becomes so obvious that they are very standard templates with just names changed. I've had numerous active quests with the same sort of quest header and quest text just with different names, and even in the same locations. That sort of thing cheapens an experience and makes the random generation very obvious. Poor design there.

Yeah once I had about 8 quests to do basically the same thing. I just abandoned them all. They were to plant seeds and harvest them to bring them back. =/

Drazgul

Alternately, if you beat Dreadwing you can trade the Breakeasy bartender three diamonds for a dubloon and give one of those to the penguin mercenaries to recruit them.

Diamonds seem super rare as chest loot - have done some digging so far but I don't think I've come across any; maybe they're only found near the planetary core?

Vex_

Banned

AH GREE!

WaterAstro

Oh I am on the water people one, which I have totally ignored for awhile. I blew through the floran one. Though I don't even remember what was done. Only know the vague idea is from the intro with the monster.

For people not finding villages, just look up coordinates on Google. When I get to doing the quests that what I plan to do.

It's easy. You go to a floran village or hunting ground, whatever. Press N. Click anything that is highlighted blue.

I don't know how you couldn't find a Hylotl colony. I've been to 10+ Ocean planets, and all of them at the underwater Hylotl colony. They are not kidding when they say you will find them at the certain planet specified by the quest.

I'll give it one last shot. But before that, stop saying I am not the one understanding. I've already been through the game in beta several times, including this version. I already understand the facts. I don't even understand why you're trying to argue. If people don't like going around scanning everything in villages and dungeons (and it can be a little tedious imo) and if they also don't care about the story, they don't have to do it.

The story has elements of exploration. But that is not all it is. Stop pretending that if you're exploring, you're doing the story anyway. It's just not the truth.

Frankly, the story is whatever to me to begin with. I didn't come for a story.

How do you even know the truth if you haven't done the story?
Let me tell you what the story gets you to do. It gets you to explore a race's colony, then you do a dungeon, then repeat steps 1 and 2.

Are you telling me you don't explore planets? You're obviously aren't talking about the dungeons since they don't involve scanning.

So what is it? Are you exploring? Are you seeing colonies or temples or mini dungeons? If you've gone through any of that, you are doing what the story is telling you to do.

Retro

GAF planet now has a permanent teleport pad, located in the big tower with the tree right of the cafe / crafting area. Make sure you book mark it.

I have no idea where these other NPCs are coming from, I just put a colony deed in for one, at the hospital, but there's like 4 of them now.

Arcade is going to move to the left side of the elevator to make room for... other things.

I should be done building west other than an exit structure, I notice someone built a little something over there and that's awesome. I'll probably go in and smooth out that hillside, plant some trees, etc., unless someone wants to build a little cliff-side hobbit hole.

Also, enjoy the crappy little morph ball course I made because I'll probably seal that up because it's garbage =p

Impulsor

YEsterday I found a Dark planet with a human camping settlement (not kidding,a lot of humans witha lot of tents and campfires and Caravan Vans), a Jail, Avian Ruins and a Floran Village.

WTF!

Its the most packed planet I've ever been to and it's one of the most inhospitable too. Why would you ever settle there?

duckroll

How do planets and stuff work? Is this like Terraria where everything is isolated on their own servers, or is this game really online? Can I access the GAF Planet in my game without joining some server? Sorry if these are stupid questions, haven't played it since the first beta release.

Retro

How do planets and stuff work? Is this like Terraria where everything is isolated on their own servers, or is this game really online? Can I access the GAF Planet in my game without joining some server? Sorry if these are stupid questions, haven't played it since the first beta release.

Offline stuff is saved locally to your computer.
If you connect to a server, it's saved on the hosts' computer and anyone can visit it.

That said, if you visit the same planet in either mode, the game will generate the same planet (might not be the same terrain, not 100% sure, have to check). There just won't be the structures and such if people have been building there.

duckroll

Offline stuff is saved locally to your computer.
If you connect to a server, it's saved on the hosts' computer and anyone can visit it.

That said, if you visit the same planet in either mode, the game will generate the same planet (might not be the same terrain, not 100% sure, have to check). There just won't be the structures and such if people have been building there.

Is it similar to Terraria in the sense that the character data and world/universe data is separate, so I can use my character to visit the GAF server and look around, and what transfers over to my offline universe is whatever i have on me and on my ship?

Sarcasm

It's easy. You go to a floran village or hunting ground, whatever. Press N. Click anything that is highlighted blue.

I don't know how you couldn't find a Hylotl colony. I've been to 10+ Ocean planets, and all of them at the underwater Hylotl colony. They are not kidding when they say you will find them at the certain planet specified by the quest.

Let me tell you what the story gets you to do. It gets you to explore a race's colony, then you do a dungeon, then repeat steps 1 and 2.

Are you telling me you don't explore planets? You're obviously aren't talking about the dungeons since they don't involve scanning.

So what is it? Are you exploring? Are you seeing colonies or temples or mini dungeons? If you've gone through any of that, you are doing what the story is telling you to do.

There is a difference between not being able to find one and not looking for one.

I am the latter one.

The so called story is not interesting enough for me to actively search for it. It is like doing the lake quests in the village. Mundane and tedious.

Don't understand why you are being so aggressive about such a bit picky detail. Just because I don't want to press N.

goblin

Diamonds seem super rare as chest loot - have done some digging so far but I don't think I've come across any; maybe they're only found near the planetary core?

Yeah, they spawn near the core. If you have an Ore Detector, diamonds show up as dark blue so you can hunt them out.

I checked out the GAF planet and it's really impressive! I couldn't find any sort of obvious donation area so I just ended up dropping off some extra augments, drills, weapons and furniture recipes in the trash bins.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

The contextual quest system was added like in the past 6 months. It didnt exist for like 4 years of the game. It sucks, I agree.

The main quest seems fine though.

schlynch

Hm. The game still feels unfinished. It's the third time I'm playing through it. It's a good game, not nearly as good as Terraria, but I kind of expected more of it. Good to see that the need for food is back, but on the other side things like enemies and especially the action bar got worse over time. Makes me wonder how you can make something like the action bar more worse from update to update. And why are planet types still bound to the difficult. This wasn't the case in the first release but somewhere down the line they added this. It's terrible. Most fun techs gone. Weapons still feel samey, no fun stuff like Terraria offers. The lore changed, no conflicts between the various races anymore. Planet and random structure variety lacking.

Building (right click for background layer) and asset variety is still the only really positive thing I can say about this game.

Man, so much wasted potential here.

Is it similar to Terraria in the sense that the character data and world/universe data is separate, so I can use my character to visit the GAF server and look around, and what transfers over to my offline universe is whatever i have on me and on my ship?

Yes it is. Also the character and space ship is seperate.

Dude... I just said I have played through the game in several builds including this one. Holy shit... I give up. Believe whatever you want to.

edit:
I'm not even the person who said they weren't into the story progression stuff to begin with. I was only pointing out that not doing the story stuff doesn't mean you're not playing the game. Wow.

Impulsor

Character data is separate from world data.

You, your inventory and anything on your ship goes with you to whatever world you go.

WaterAstro

There is a difference between not being able to find one and not looking for one.

I am the latter one.

The so called story is not interesting enough for me to actively search for it. It is like doing the lake quests in the village. Mundane and tedious.

Don't understand why you are being so aggressive about such a bit picky detail. Just because I don't want to press N.

I didn't say you need to actively search for it. I just said that you will definitely come across what you will be looking for if you are exploring, and when you do find that colony, press N and get on with the story quest.

Hylotl aren't only in Ocean planet's underwater. That's where you go if you specifically are trying to find it. They do live on the land by chance. I've been doing nothing but volcano worlds, and I came across all 6 race's colonies.

As I've been saying this whole time, you will be doing the story stuff whether you like it or not, because the story = general exploration. You also don't want to miss out on the dungeons. The boss fights can be really cool.

Dude... I just said I have played through the game in several builds including this one. Holy shit... I give up. Believe whatever you want to.

Wow, you played the story, know that it involves only exploration and dungeons, yet you still say it's not about exploration. GG

Impulsor

You guys are fighting over a technicality.

Both sides of the argument are right.

Just stop and be friends and have fun.

Sarcasm

We were taking about exploring? Since when heh.

Couldn't tell from the start.

That is like agruing about breathing oxygen.

We have gone to steam gamefaqs forums level here.

I didn't think it would happen but I'm addicted to this game again just like in the first year of Beta. So much stuff has changed and I've been getting myself into buying and checking out a lot of neat things to do for myself while exploring.

Every time I think that I'm done with the game I keep reminding myself about what I could do next and then I spend 10 more minutes of my time playing. I've been catching monsters and I'm not even sure if they level up/evolve, but screw it. I'm hooked into doing so many things with this game again.

schlynch

Yeah this game needs some serious hotkeys.. my biggest complaint so far.

Yep. For example... why can we not go back to the last used slot with R after we are done with the manipulator. Why can we pick up one single item from a stack with r-click, but not put a single one down with r-click when we have a stack selected. Why don't the windows save their position on the screen. The inventory always opens in the middle of the screen no matter were you put it before. And so on and on and on. One can think the guy(s) responsible for the UI and it controls have never actually played a game before.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Nice that they fixed the memory leak :). It did m bring the fps down for me at points despite 12gB of ram lol. Game runs overall better than the beta did now, 40 fos in outpost instead of 30, other areas are locked 60 with minor dips when sand or water physics are happening.

Good job Chucklefish :D. More work more magic and give it another boost to get my little FX6300 to a fully locked 60

Wanace

Switching from Survival to Casual + Hunger Mod made this game playable again for me.

Highly recommended if you're like me and want to turn the PC off after dying and losing all your stuff.

Grinchy

Banned
Why don't the windows save their position on the screen. The inventory always opens in the middle of the screen no matter were you put it before. And so on and on and on. One can think the guy(s) responsible for the UI and it controls have never actually played a game before.
All good questions, but this one bugs me the most. I feel like everyone has asked for this for 3 years. I also don't know how anyone involved in making the game isn't just as annoyed by it as the people who play it. Are they really unaware of how annoying these things are and how simple it is to fix? Especially after having years of beta testing. It's just mind boggling.

Top Bottom