• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound |OT| Boundless...

how the hell do you find things!? I am about 10 hours in and of the 5 forest planets i went to there were 3 of the same glitch castles and a few small mini dungeons I found after doing the whole surface and digging to the core a few times. None of these "floran" or other cities or dungeons

Dr.Acula

Banned
Anyone PM me a Discord invite?

how the hell do you find things!? I am about 10 hours in and of the 5 forest planets i went to there were 3 of the same glitch castles and a few small mini dungeons I found after doing the whole surface and digging to the core a few times. None of these "floran" or other cities or dungeons

Get more fuel and travel around more, land on every gentle-star forest planet you can. Walk around for a few minutes, and if there are no colonies, move on.

Aselith

Don't dig, just land, walk around the surface and then leave if it seems pretty empty.

Mr Git

Turns out I had the EPP on the wrong back slot (aesthetic). I also realised the same for my chest armour. No wonder I was dying a lot. 'A quick go' ended up being 6 hours and now it's gone 5AM.. But I did start building a house. Gonna accumulate some more materials and then start building on the gaf server.

Turns out I had the EPP on the wrong back slot (aesthetic). I also realised the same for my chest armour. No wonder I was dying a lot. 'A quick go' ended up being 6 hours and now it's gone 5AM.. But I did start building a house. Gonna accumulate some more materials and then start building on the gaf server.

Oh my god I totally had a response typed out earlier telling you about the aesthetic slots and I got distracted at work and closed the tab. I'm sorry. I failed you.

DarkestHour

Banned
Found a hat that is a cat. A cat now lays on my head with its ass facing the direction I look. Can this game get any better?

Spyware

Had the game since the crowdfunding. Bought a 4-pack back then. Tried it for an hour pretty early but didn't like it much. Figured I'd give it a new chance at release so here I am. And I love it! Been playing wayyy too much. Mostly just creating and recreating characters and trying to figure out how the game works. Co-op is great with the teleport to party member thing :D

Read that people hate the scan quests but I don't mind it yet. Just explored and happened to run into a Floran village on my second planet. I didn't even have it in mind until I stumbled upon it. I think that's the way to play the story. Just run around and explore and if you find something you find something :)

The UI is terrible and there is a lot I miss from Terraria, but there are a lot of things Starbound does better too. Mostly just little details but it adds up. Makes me really look forward to the next Terraria game :p

I really wish there was more options when building. Hammering blocks to make them have different shapes in Terraria is fantastic and I really miss it here. But building will probably be fun anyway.
Here's the house I just built with random stuff I had on me because I finally had to realise the ship was too small. Of course I got the quest to expand it as soon as I was done with this thing. But I also needed a place to plant those stupid cotton plants so whatevs.
I will look back on this in a week (or a day) and weep at how horrible it looks :D
RHyvJsz.png

I thought the thread would have more screenshots btw :O

VariantX

Finally figured out the graphic tearing/glitching of another backround problem I had. I had posted on the support forums and didn't get a reply for quite a bit. Instantly buried to the 3rd or 4th page. Was starting to think I was the only one with the problem. Was about to wipe gpu drivers and test other things. Went away for the weekend and came back to some replies. Thankfully I'm not the only one with the problem. Seems to be a vsync issue on their end for amd cards from what I can tell.

If anyone else has this problem you'll need to edit the starbound config and change vsync to false. From there I forced it with the CCC. There seems to be a bit of input lag. Mostly mouse lag, but that is to be expected with forcing vsync. Honestly I find starbound has a bit of natural mouse lag or smoothness anyway. You can especially notice it when moving things in the inventory. It would be nice to have a vsync option in the in game options. Hardware cursor would be a nice option as well.

Anyways I'm happy I have a work around for now. Looking forward to jumping back in today :)

Going to try this. I seem to get glitches with weather, ToD, snd biome changes. Frame rate isn't as good as the builds I played a year ago when zoomed out fully.

docbon

Bwahaha.

If you hold two different mics at once and sing a song, it torpedos your framerate and blows out your eardrums. Such an excellent bug.

Sarcasm

You should play Rimworld. When a colonists relative (mom, father, etc) land in a cargo pod.

You capture them, imprison them and then try to convert them while they stay in a dimly lit room eating old scraps of food.

Cause if you rescue them, they leave shortly after healing lol.

Though random wanderers can join without asking.

SB method is a bit more..acceptable lol.

Mr Git

Oh my god I totally had a response typed out earlier telling you about the aesthetic slots and I got distracted at work and closed the tab. I'm sorry. I failed you.

Ha it's quite alright! <3 Immediately after posting that I fired up the game and realised my mistake and then couldn't stop playing.

Se_7_eN

Just started last night and am really bothered by something.... Why does the flame race need a flashlight or campfire?

You are a walking ball of fire.... One would think that they would not need a flashlight or a campfire to light the path.

VariantX

There are flesh planets?

Wow. This game has a lot of biomes. Impressive.

Yep, my starter planet had a flesh biome right after i dug down through the mushroom biome. In pre 1.0, id occasionally get a planet with an oil or slime biome layer to dig through. There's probably more i've yet to discover. Still desperately trying to find floran shit so I can at least advance the story. I only need like 2-3 more objects to scan and I cant find any floran shit, just abandoned glitch towers everywhere.

Mr Git

Yep, my starter planet had a flesh biome right after i dug down through the mushroom biome. In pre 1.0, id occasionally get a planet with an oil or slime biome layer to dig through. There's probably more i've yet to discover. Still desperately trying to find floran shit so I can at least advance the story. I only need like 2-3 more objects to scan and I cant find any floran shit, just abandoned glitch towers everywhere.

I'd usually find a Floran village on forest planets where in the description it mentioned, "you might even find some of your own kind" or something similar. It only took one pretty decently sized village to fill up the objects bar.

Spyware

Just started last night and am really bothered by something.... Why does the flame race need a flashlight or campfire?

You are a walking ball of fire.... One would think that they would not need a flashlight or a campfire to light the path.
Yeah racial skills would have been nice. A glow for Novakid that looks like the backpack lantern thing, underwater breathing or faster swimming for Hylotl, less fall damage for Glitch and health regen in the sun for Floran are examples I can come up with off the top of my head.

sirap

One of my biggest gripes with this game. Fire daggers actually provide light, so I don't see why a character made entirely out of fire wouldn't do the same...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah racial skills would have been nice. A glow for Novakid that looks like the backpack lantern thing, underwater breathing or faster swimming for Hylotl, less fall damage for Glitch and health regen in the sun for Floran are examples I can come up with off the top of my head.

wait, Hylotl drown? What the hell :lol. I wanna glide as an Avian :(. No fall-damage would be the greatest gift of all.

Retro

Racial skills existed at one point, I believe, but they took them out because it gave certain races an unfair advantage for what's meant to be a cosmetic / flavor decision.

I'd say Novakids don't give off light even though they're literally made from it because the shell that contains them isn't perfectly transparent?

Spyware

Racial skills existed at one point, I believe, but they took them out because it gave certain races an unfair advantage for what's meant to be a cosmetic / flavor decision.

I'd say Novakids don't give off light even though they're literally made from it because the shell that contains them isn't perfectly transparent?

Yeah it's always a bother when a race you don't like visually have the best racials. And it's a pain balancing such different abilities.

I can accept that explanation. Just like Hylotl not being able to breathe underwater since they breathe air like any other race.

Kalentan

Anyone else really starting to hate the hunger mechanic of the game? I get why it is there but I hate being deep in a mine and then having your hunger get low and need to frantically run to the surface to live.

Anyone else really starting to hate the hunger mechanic of the game? I get why it is there but I hate being deep in a mine and then having your hunger get low and need to frantically run to the surface to live.

There are some ingredients that never spoil but require you to cook them first. Mushrooms are great for this cause they can be cooked at any campfire.

I'm playing on casual atm though, so I don't really need to worry about getting to the surface, or losing stuff if I do die.

Kalentan

There are some ingredients that never spoil but require you to cook them first. Mushrooms are great for this cause they can be cooked at any campfire.

I'm playing on casual atm though, so I don't really need to worry about getting to the surface, or losing stuff if I do die.

If hunger just gave noticable debuffs that would be fine... but you die in like... seconds when you hit 0.

WaterAstro

Playing with hunger looooong time ago, it's just something that you spend a bit of extra time to prepare for an expedition. I like to have a peace of mind when I leave my PC to do some errands without having myself get killed, so hunger is not for me.

I suggest keeping a campfire with you and farming rice. Boiled rice (as opposed to mushrooms) only require 1 rice, and you can farm them.

There's also a bug that I seem to be able to reproduce all the time where if you eat something from your inventory and immediately close the window by hitting ESC, it'll pop back in your inventory.

Kalentan

Playing with hunger looooong time ago, it's just something that you spend a bit of extra time to prepare for an expedition. I like to have a peace of mind when I leave my PC to do some errands without having myself get killed, so hunger is not for me.

I suggest keeping a campfire with you and farming rice. Boiled rice (as opposed to mushrooms) only require 1 rice, and you can farm them.

There's also a bug that I seem to be able to reproduce all the time where if you eat something from your inventory and immediately close the window by hitting ESC, it'll pop back in your inventory.

Honestly just going to install the mod to remove hunger for now...

Top Bottom