• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound |OT| Boundless...

Oh if you mean the classes, yes it matters, they all do different things. But I don't think one medic is different from another medic regardless of race or character. Each class has their own functions. The tailor will allow you to customize your crew's uniform based on whatever you are wearing at the moment for example.

If they die on the planet will they be revived on the ship?

Taffer

Doing the Floran mission on the GAF server meant the NPC wasn't showing up at the outpost in my offline universe so I replayed it offline. Better gear than my first time through and no need to explore the place thoroughly again meant it was a ten minute job and the end chest gave me another 20 Durasteel bars. NPC unlocked and an entire armour set, happy to.

If they die on the planet will they be revived on the ship?

Mine died fighting a boss and were waiting for me on the ship afterwards.

My seconds of fame are taking too long to arrive. I hid some legendary weapons and stuff in a secret house close to the hospital on GAF server. Scavenger hunt when the server is back up!

Of course, I should probably also leave a tool nearby...

Icefire1424

I'm really curious now. Anyone happen to have some screenshots of this GAF planet? The fact you guys have a hospital there is pretty crazy.

I hope the next update brings changes to the inventory screen, make it slide off the side of the screen or something. They also realllllly need to make the tool tip pop ups fall into the screen as opposed to just jumping off the bottom right side of the cursor and falling outside the screen.

Only weapon I need is the magnorbs.
It's versatility is too great to ignore. Was hitting the last boss and all the adds constantly. Even a miss can become a hit on the orbs return trip

Venfayth

Alright, knowing that something like this exists in the game just made me that much more excited to get back in and play. I'm totally building a soldier type guy now.

I still use the craftable beam pistols postgame. They're really good. I also used the grenade launcher AR for a while - super effective.

I dont know if Im just that unlucky, but I have been to 4 different florest planets on gentle stars and can't find any Floran city.

Following the storyline being dependent on luck shows the developers havent really balanced the game properly.

The only reason i dont consider it a complete waste of time is that I am getting a few more seeds for my farm.

I dont know if Im just that unlucky, but I have been to 4 different florest planets on gentle stars and can't find any Floran city.

Following the storyline being dependent on luck shows the developers havent really balanced the game properly.

The only reason i dont consider it a complete waste of time is that I am getting a few more seeds for my farm.

FYI, I found half of the required Floran artifacts in a Forest planet's Floran dungeon. As in, not a town. I think picking up certain unique decorations in the dungeon was filling the bar; but I don't remember specifically.

Floran dungeons just look like giant, leafy pits. Like a sarlacc pit made of leaves.

FYI, I found half of the required Floran artifacts in a Forest planet's Floran dungeon. As in, not a town. I think picking up certain unique decorations in the dungeon was filling the bar; but I don't remember specifically.

Floran dungeons just look like giant, leafy pits. Like a sarlacc pit made of leaves.

I thought you were supposed to only search the surface.

If I have to search underground that is going to take too much time.

Did those dungeons start on the surface?

PS - The funny thing is I have found 2 different Apex cities and 1 Apex military camp sort of thing.

If there is an Apex mission I should complete it automatically cause I scanned everything :p

WaterAstro

PS - The funny thing is I have found 2 different Apex cities and 1 Apex military camp sort of thing.

If there is an Apex mission I should complete it automatically cause I scanned everything :p

Floran Hunting Grounds mini-dungeons? Yeah you start off on the surface.

ameratsu

Just a thought about echarius fuel: There should be some way to build an automated extractor on the surface of a moon, and you should be able to collect crystal/fuel from the extractor, or even eventually just by orbiting the moon where you placed the extractor. Would take some monotony out of harvesting on barren moons.

duckroll

It doesn't really matter if you're looking in a dungeon or a town. The game doesn't care what the actual location is, what it tracks is actual objects. There are certain key objects in each culture which give points to the progression meter when scanned. When the meter is maxed the quest ends. That's all.

Just a thought about echarius fuel: There should be some way to build an automated extractor on the surface of a moon, and you should be able to collect crystal/fuel from the extractor, or even eventually just by orbiting the moon where you placed the extractor. Would take some monotony out of harvesting on barren moons.

If you get an engineer type crewmate (I forget which class exactly) he will increase fuel efficiency. Eventually I was warping across the galaxy spending only 4 fuel and I would never run out of fuel again. After the patch... I was making shorter jumps for 300 fuel. Pain in the ass they reset it.

Retro

I'm really curious now. Anyone happen to have some screenshots of this GAF planet? The fact you guys have a hospital there is pretty crazy.

Yeah I would love some screens too.

Keep in mind, it's a work in progress.

ooLOOgJ.jpg

Also, for some odd reason, whenever I take a screenshot the game goes completely black. I have to exit out of the game completely to fix it. Odd.

I have no idea where the NPCs all came from. We only had a scientist there because of a colony deed (which someone swiped), now suddenly there's like 10 random people milling around. Gonna be a framerate issue before long.

Other people's buildings always look so good.

Meanwhile I haven't built a thing because why would I, when I have to planet hop constantly. Just need to find one of those flesh planets and I'll settle down.

Yeah, it starts on the surface but goes down quite a bit. Like a sarlacc!

And I dunno if this is a coincidence or what, but there was an Apex rebel camp on the surface, a ways away from it. There was so much stuff, it made me wish I had the Apex one instead.

Other people's buildings always look so good.

Meanwhile I haven't built a thing because why would I, when I have to planet hop constantly. Just need to find one of those flesh planets and I'll settle down.

Yeah, it starts on the surface but goes down quite a bit. Like a sarlacc!

And I dunno if this is a coincidence or what, but there was an Apex rebel camp on the surface, a ways away from it. There was so much stuff, it made me wish I had the Apex one instead.

I did find an Apex Rebel camp but didnt search beneath nor saw an entrance to a dungeon.

But will go back and check.

Thanks

I know the game tells you to look for floran cities on forest planets, but fwiw they can actually spawn on any type of planet. The first two floran settlements I found were actually on desert planets.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah the server is pretty bad that you can't even go to the planet.

Not home, can't check. I did manage to get home to reboot the thing earlier.

Can anyone get to the GAF planet? Im wondering if the power outage corrupted the file... (I've seen this happen back during the beta).

Can anyone get to the GAF planet? Im wondering if the power outage corrupted the file... (I've seen this happen back during the beta).

Just tried. I log in and appear on my ship, but if I teleport to the planet I am instantly teleported back.

Also, managed to take a picture of my humble home.

3121ED3FC020EA8443610B37300ED44D0F82F44E

I am building a big farm building on the left.

You cant see, but on theright I made a couple of NPC houses just to see what happened.

I also dyed all buildings blue.

Its not Retro-level quality, but Im quite proud. :)

Kalentan

So how did you guys decide which planet you wanted to make your colony on? I'm thinking about getting a Forest settlement... But it needs to be one where the background is actually tall with trees. I think those exist.

VariantX

Keep in mind, it's a work in progress.

Also, for some odd reason, whenever I take a screenshot the game goes completely black. I have to exit out of the game completely to fix it. Odd.

I have no idea where the NPCs all came from. We only had a scientist there because of a colony deed (which someone swiped), now suddenly there's like 10 random people milling around. Gonna be a framerate issue before long.

Meanwhile, I dig a shallow hole in the damp earth just to remain just out of arm's reach of the beasts that roam in the darkness of the night...

Seems like the game is too much for my old toaster, every time I reach the second phase of the Erchius Horror the game freezes and crash what I find strange is the fact that I was able to beat it during the beta.

I log into the server and all bookmarks/teleport spots are gone. gonna dig up gaf world coords and check if it's fine

edit:
GAFWorld is there, but i think what happens is that the game boots you back to your ship because the teleport landing site is bad. It was 1 block too low and you'd warp in stuck unless you jump out. Now if you're stuck it just boots you back to your ship. I checked my homeworld and it's fine. So basically make sure you make the landing site block perfect else you're screwed.

So does the game now work fine on a MacBook? My gt650m had trouble reaching 30+Fps while the first alpha ran fine on an 2009macbook without dedicated gpu.

VandalD

When I logged on, I was on the planet, but I had to rebookmark the teleporter. I removed the blocks that should've been blocking the teleport down. I remember getting stuck there and having to jump out too. Maybe it'll work now.

Has the fossil minigame been making the game crash for anyone else? And when I restart the game, my fossil brush is used up, but I don't get the fossil.

Vex_

Banned
Just cheesed though the first boss using the admin privilegies to dig around the boss and reaching the room. >.>

On other news I just found a cool Avian airship parked at a Jungle planet.

Holy fuck! That's sick!

See? I like this about sb more then terraria. There are more prebuilt structures to find. So it seems like there was civilization before you got there.

Sick sick sick. I love airships!

docbon

rip gaf planet.

checked both the teleports and they seemed clear. when i warped to ship and came back, I couldn't land on the surface anymore.

edit: huh. worked the third time i tried. weird.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I log into the server and all bookmarks/teleport spots are gone. gonna dig up gaf world coords and check if it's fine

edit:
GAFWorld is there, but i think what happens is that the game boots you back to your ship because the teleport landing site is bad. It was 1 block too low and you'd warp in stuck unless you jump out. Now if you're stuck it just boots you back to your ship. I checked my homeworld and it's fine. So basically make sure you make the landing site block perfect else you're screwed.

When I logged on, I was on the planet, but I had to rebookmark the teleporter. I removed the blocks that should've been blocking the teleport down. I remember getting stuck there and having to jump out too. Maybe it'll work now.

Soooo...

Did some bastard troll the teleporter area?

First I couldn't even play the game, then they updated and I could finally play. Collect all the shards (or whatever) and make it to the place I'm suppose to deliver them to, click on the thing, game crashes. Gotta wait for the next update. (On MAC fyi)

VandalD

Soooo...

Did some bastard troll the teleporter area?
No, but before, I remember having to jump out of the one block higher part of the ground where you teleport in. When I logged in, already on the planet, I removed those blocks. Now the entire beam-down area is flat. If people still can't beam down to the planet, maybe it's some sort of latency issue.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Ah ok... first sign of any BS happening, let me know. Some of you may already know my level of tolerance for trolls on the server.

In weapon related news... found an Evil Eye, a remote detonated grenade launcher, and a shotgun that has a secondary firing ability to shoot a small ball that breaks into shrapnel.

Evil Eye is awesome... shoots out eyeball pellets, and secondary ability is... well... you make it stare at things, and they go boom (or at least, suffer damage).

Retro

I'm not sure if it's trolling. Looking at the screenshot I took earlier and the live server, there's blocks removed near the beam-down location. They've been there since the first night, but for whatever reason people got stuck in them tonight. I'll leave the bricks out (they were mostly aesthetic anyway) and see how it goes.

There's an admin command to reset the respawn point if it happens again.

I'm not even checking GAF world until I'm reasonably late game. I want to discover all I can by myself, including items, bricks and so on.

I am building a big farm building on the left.

I guess you have to water the lower tiers manually? My orchard is pretty long but it rains all the time in my home planet so I barely have to water them.

So how did you guys decide which planet you wanted to make your colony on? I'm thinking about getting a Forest settlement... But it needs to be one where the background is actually tall with trees. I think those exist.

I just picked my starter planet and spawn point. Which might have been a bad idea as it's a trench between two mountains and every time I want to expand I have to dig for ages just to get the floor level.

Retro

Vastly expanded the storage area, eventually we'll have to sort it all out.
Added a proper bridge heading west.
Made it easier to get around by extending the Teleport Tower upwards.
All the crafting is set up and organized above the storage space.

Still want to have a farm area (probably on the west side, something small), museum (east side), move the arcade to the west side of the elevators and expand it a bit.

Top Bottom