• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound |OT| Boundless...

Took a little action shot. Love this sword.

CZvUdf5.png

Retro

Humble beginnings so far, but how do I find more cotton plant s3eds? Can it be synthesised? I only have one plant and it does not produce seeds!

Yeah, it's really frustrating that plants don't have at least a chance to drop a seed when you harvest them. The only way that I know of to get more seeds is to look for more in the wild.

Sarcasm

Think I am going to stop doing the MQ. Its not very interesting. I also can't get use to the floaty sucky platforming for that Arsa guy lol. He three shots me too. I forgot what gear I have but I got the gear that takes almost durasteel I think.

Also really bored of playing SB to be honest. It isn't as engaging as Terraria.

Also exploring isn't getting me any good weapons. I been going around on dangerous planets..

OmegaDL50

So where are Human and Novakid settlements?

I am trying to get at least one of each of the seven races as crew members of my ship. I am currently doing the Avian main quest and I did enough quests to get two Avians as crew members but don't want the Human captain (me) to be completely surrounded by an entire Avian crew.

So I want to try and fill the rest of my ranks with one member of each race each to have some diversity going on.

Spyware

Yay, thanks for posting more screens :D So fun to see.

Yeah, it's really frustrating that plants don't have at least a chance to drop a seed when you harvest them. The only way that I know of to get more seeds is to look for more in the wild.
Yep.
I got two from my starting planet on my current character. Focused on planting them immediately to get the most out of them. When I got the ability to go to other planets I chose the other "starter" planet in my systenm and found 6 more seeds. Low risk and small planet so it's pretty quick to run around it once to look for them.

Taffer

I don't think GAFworld was attacked, I lost all my online bookmarks and my singleplayer homeworld was doing the invalid beamdown position loop thing since the patch yesterday.

So where are Human and Novakid settlements?

I'm not certain but I don't think Novakids have any settlements. You can buy Saloon furniture at the Frogg shop to bait Novakids into becoming your tenants though.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't there admin power to make an area where you can use blocks or mine?

I was on a server that had that for there hub.

There are generators that can be installed to protect stuff from being destroyed. I dont think Retro wants to install those yet because he's not done building.

Venfayth

What's the best way to get crew members?

Are those buffalo things hard to raise? I kinda want to make an animal farm but does it require maintenance or anything?

OmegaDL50

I want a Animal crops mod.

If one doesn't exist, can someone please direct me to one.

You can Raise Chickens from Hen Eggs and they also produce Eggs, but you can't put these Eggs into a Incubator create another Hen Egg to spawn more Chickens to do Poultry production? What...

What if I wanted to do Fluffalo raising and have them birth a random Fluffalo Egg and also kill any excess Fluffalo for a Meat farming.

Is this not possible? I hope such a mod exists.

What's the best way to get crew members?
Do the random quests in settlements.

Do enough of them and some times the Quest giver will ask to join your crew.

Also sort of quest giver will likely determine the kind of job they have as a crew member.

Town Guards for example have a chance to become Soldiers. I got a Tailor and Mechanic currently on my ship.

Each Crew member title has a special task.

Tailors can change your entire crew uniform to your current armor. And the Mechanic periodically permanently raises your Ships max fuel capacity by 100 beyond the starting cap of 1000.

I don't know what the other crew members do, but the info can be found on the wiki.

What a fuuny thing, while I was exploring the system where I am I found another starter planet, like same monsters, a mine with core fragments, etc. I also found an Avian Temple on other planet and they wrecked me.

docbon

Do the random quests in settlements.

Do enough of them and some times the Quest giver will ask to join your crew.

Also sort of quest giver will likely determine the kind of job they have as a crew member.

Town Guards for example have a chance to become Soldiers. I got a Tailor and Mechanic currently on my ship.

Each Crew member title has a special task.

Tailors can change your entire crew uniform to your current armor. And the Mechanic periodically permanently raises your Ships max fuel capacity by 100 beyond the starting cap of 1000.

I don't know what the other crew members do, but the info can be found on the wiki.

I noticed the colonists that you build settlements for can also give out quests, and be recruited.

blarg. So i've been having the bug where after collecting all the shards and trying to activate the console the game crashes. Someone on the starbound forums said he could do it on a sever but not in an offline game.

Nope it still crashed for me. Hopefully this didn't break the Gaf server.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I enjoy this game a lot, but I can't help but think of Terraria when I play it.

The worlds here just feel so meaningless compared to exploring the planet in Terraria. I never feel attached to a single location. Maybe the spaceship thing is not for me.

d00d3n

Are you sure about that? I am pretty sure that I got an extra seed when I harvested one of my cotton plants. It only happened once though (I think I have harvested 50 cotton plants in my field in total).

Truant

I need a good podcast game to last me until NMS comes out. Is this decent? Never tried Terraria, but I loved Minecraft back in the day.

Sarcasm

The only way that farms/moth traps/etc grow is if you are in that area right? Or can I host a local server that loads everything even when I am not playing?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
The only way that farms/moth traps/etc grow is if you are in that area right? Or can I host a local server that loads everything even when I am not playing?

I don't know if its a glitch, but in my SP game, I have 9 moth traps setup, and the damn things are guaranteed to be filled up as long as i'm more than 1 minute off the planet.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I set myself up a little underground-ish cabin east of the spawn point. Gotta find more stuff to decorate it with though, but at least I have my dope treasure map.

Mr Git

Also made a thing east of GafCity. I still haven't come across a complete Glitch castle to disassemble but when I do I'll be able to properly furnish it. Thought it would make a nice band hall.

Just found a ridiculously large castle and looted it a lot - so GafKeep is now more furnished.

Aselith

Man, this game has some really fundamental playability problems such enemies that charge at you at max speed and really doesn't have the control to deal with that and the stupid delay when you switch an item until you can actual use said item.

They should probably just rename the "Blink Strike" ability to "Good Luck With That."

Got to the guys with the full screen blink on the lava planet...aight? Guess that's a thing

Then there's the backpack light that you can't actually equip because by the time you tech up to it you have to wear EPP on every planet you'd want to go to.

WaterAstro

Man, this game has some really fundamental playability problems such enemies that charge at you at max speed and really doesn't have the control to deal with that and the stupid delay when you switch an item until you can actual use said item.

They should probably just rename the "Blink Strike" ability to "Good Luck With That."

Got to the guys with the full screen blink on the lava planet...aight? Guess that's a thing

Then there's the backpack light that you can't actually equip because by the time you tech up to it you have to wear EPP on every planet you'd want to go to.

Blink strike moves you where you aim if I remember correctly. It deals massive damage to everything around you, so it's perfect if you're getting humped. I would recommend another secondary though. Spears are so good.

And EPP's have a light augment if you want light, though I do think that light is absolutely necessary making every other augment. Even when going underwater with the breathing augment, you wish you had the light augment as well.

Aselith

Blink strike moves you where you aim if I remember correctly. It deals massive damage to everything around you, so it's perfect if you're getting humped. I would recommend another secondary though. Spears are so good.

And EPP's have a light augment if you want light, though I do think that light is absolutely necessary making every other augment. Even when going underwater with the breathing augment, you wish you had the light augment as well.

Incorrect, the Blink Strike does damage where you blink from so you have to use basically when something is charging you but it also randomly doesn't work oftentimes. And massive damage means you still have to use it three times and it uses all of your energy to use it once so you WILL get fucked in the ass if they charge you after you blink. AND there's a nice chunky delay on it before you actually blink so having something charge you and having to blink right when they get to you makes it quite iffy since they can charge at different speeds.

And then if you can't use the Xenon and EPP at the same time what is the point of the Xenon? Light augment or no that is just fucking poorly thought out.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

There's an add-on light module for EPP.

And before anyone says "But those stupid add-ons are hard to find." You can buy the light module later on in the game.

---
BTW, in case people are trying to go the not expensive route when trying to upgrade your ship (aka, trying to get 2 crew members to join to rank up your license)...

-Gain crew members from doing quests for an individual NPC multiple times. (random chance they'll want to join)
-Hire the penguins.

And something I've only just found out...
-NPC quests where you're tasked to kill a target. Try and not have an itchy trigger finger. SOME enemy targets, when health is low enough, will actually surrender (you'll know when they stop trying to attack you and start begging for their lives). Talk to them, and you might be able to get a crew member.

Sad thing is I've had 1 or 2 targets surrender to me before, but I killed them without actually trying to talk to them. I only managed it this last time because I accidentally hit the button to talk when I was standing next to them.

Oh, and the quest is still considered successful if they just surrender. Go talk to the NPC who gave you the quest to complete it.

WaterAstro

Incorrect, the Blink Strike does damage where you blink from so you have to use basically when something is charging you but it also randomly doesn't work oftentimes. And massive damage means you still have to use it three times and it uses all of your energy to use it once so you WILL get fucked in the ass if they charge you after you blink. AND there's a nice chunky delay on it before you actually blink so having something charge you and having to blink right when they get to you makes it quite iffy since they can charge at different speeds.

And then if you can't use the Xenon and EPP at the same time what is the point of the Xenon? Light augment or no that is just fucking poorly thought out.

Uh that's what I said. Deals damage to everything around you. When I used it in tier 2-3, I just bait things in and one shot them. It's not great, but I like the damage.

Xenon and the light lamp are just tools from old versions. They just kept it in for cosmetics, I guess.

Aselith

Uh that's what I said. Deals damage to everything around you. When I used it in tier 2-3, I just bait things in and one shot them. It's not great, but I like the damage.

Xenon and the light lamp are just tools from old versions. They just kept it in for cosmetics, I guess.

I meant you were in correct in saying it does damage where you aim.

WaterAstro

I meant you were in correct in saying it does damage where you aim.

Oh wait, maybe I'm incorrect. Maybe I'm thinking of another move. I had a secondary skill where I blinked, and the location I blinked from had exploded. I dunno, didn't use it too much.

I hope they add a second slot for EPP because light is a necessity, not an option like all the other augments.

Top Bottom