• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story |OT| They rebel - SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

horkrux

It's not because they showed how Anakin became Vader.. but rather how. Literally everything here in bold was executed horribly. From the beginning to the end of the PT, there is an incredibly short list of things that were actually executed well. Which locations interested you?

You didn't like Coruscant? The green plains of Naboo with its underwater peope?

Which characters? What politics? I still don't fucking understand the opening crawl of TPM. Are you sure you're not just saying "because these things were included they were good"? Because that's sure what it sounds like to me. The PT, for me, is a solid case of "this shit sounds great in theory" but when it comes to execution, from the script to the end product onscreen, those three movies do very little right. You're actually telling me that you enjoyed Hayden Christensen's portrayal of Anakin? And his transformation into Vader?

What do you mean, 'what politics'? The whole setup in Ep1 is part of Sidious's scheme to become chancellor and culminates in him gaining the power to finally get rid of the Jedi in Ep3. It's not particularly well executed (meaning: they would have had to show even more of it), but it's good enough.
I could throw this right back and say that what you're saying sounds more like you didn't understand what was going on and are disappointed about Vader. I didn't take much issue with Anakin. His acting is certainly far from great, but enough to make me care about the character. For the record I also liked the light sabre fights, the way they handled Jedi and Sith, the space fights, the visuals, the music, the podracing in Ep1 etc. etc.

I seriously doubt it's a generational thing. I grew up with the OT and I saw The Phantom Menace in theaters when I was 11 years old. I came out almost in tears because of how bad the film was. I was crushed.

Jesus.. well in that case I can understand your frustration with the PT. I saw Ep2 in cinemas when I was that age and I enjoyed it.

And for the record, I know (in person) MORE people who enjoyed TFA who were not SW fans before than HC or even casual fans. So again, I really don't think there's much merit to "you just like these films because of nostalgia" argument.

Why, of course. If you're not into SW, everything in TFA is new for you. That means you can enjoy ANH 2.0 without even thinking about it. People also hate politics in these movies, so it makes sense that the absolute zero politics in Ep7 would work out exceptionally well, while leaving me utterly confused about why things started out the way they did. It also pretty likely you're going to hate Jar Jar as an adult and General Grievous is also catering more to young boys. The CGI looking hella dated. A lot of stuff that doesn't really work anymore for everyone else.

deim0s

I can't remember if it was specified that those were the only plans for the Death Star anywhere ever or if the Empire had a copy uploaded elsewhere.

Or maybe the Empire just had a really good memory and were able to recreate it in 2 years.

Two years?

I dunno where i read it, iirc there are like 5 years between ANH and RotJ.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Two years?

I dunno where i read it, iirc there are like 5 years between ANH and RotJ.

Empire is three years after Hope, Jedi is one year after Empire. So around four years.

...which makes not very much sense considering Empire ends with the gang literally preparing to go to Tatooine to rescue Han. Guess they got distracted or something?

I can't remember if it was specified that those were the only plans for the Death Star anywhere ever or if the Empire had a copy uploaded elsewhere.

Or maybe the Empire just had a really good memory and were able to recreate it in 2 years.

I thought the reason they had to break into that place was because it was the only place they kept the plans.

WedgeX

Banned
Empire is three years after Hope, Jedi is one year after Empire. So around four years.

...which makes not very much sense considering Empire ends with the gang literally preparing to go to Tatooine to rescue Han. Guess they got distracted or something?

You think its easy to just waltz right in to Jabba's palace and not get eaten by a Rancor?

SpaceWolf

Banned
You think its easy to just waltz right in to Jabba's palace and not get eaten by a Rancor?

I like to think that they actually mounted hundreds of rescue plans to rescue Han, each more spectacular than the last yet still getting constantly foiled by an increasingly exasperated Jabba. C3-90 pretending to deliver a pizza before attempting to sneak Han out of the building, the gang stowing away in a wooden horse that got wheeled up to the front entrance of the palace, Lando dressing up as a belly-dancer in an attempt to lure away Jabba's attention...the possibilities are endless.

Cheebo

Banned

Jedi is 6 months after Empire.

ANH takes place in 0 BBY.
ESB takes place in 3 ABY (3 ABY but technically 3.5 ABY).
ROTJ takes place in 4 ABY.

I like to think that they actually mounted hundreds of rescue plans to rescue Han, each more spectacular than the last yet still getting constantly foiled by an increasingly exasperated Jabba. C3-90 pretending to deliver a pizza before attempting to sneak Han out of the building, the gang stowing away in a wooden horse that got wheeled up to the front entrance of the palace, Lando dressing up as a belly-dancer in an attempt to lure away Jabba's attention...the possibilities are endless.

Missed opportunity by Robot Chicken not doing something along these lines for 10 minutes.

WedgeX

Banned

New idea for the next Star Wars offshoot film.

Jocund

I mean, Luke had lost his hand and his lightsaber, the whole team was shook from losing Han and barely escaping from Bespin, and I'll bet it took some planning to track down Han and come up with Leia's fake identity and whatnot. I do think the crawl implies that the mission at the start of Jedi isn't their first rescue attempt, just the one that actually worked, so you're right.

I mean, Luke had lost his hand and his lightsaber, the whole team was shook from losing Han and barely escaping from Bespin, and I'll bet it took some planning to track down Han and come up with Leia's fake identity and whatnot. I do think the crawl implies that the mission at the start of Jedi isn't their first rescue attempt, just the one that actually worked, so you're right.

That and I'm sure Lando couldn't just get a job in a week :lol

Surfinn

You didn't like Coruscant? The green plains of Naboo with its underwater peope?

No.. should I have? What was memorable about it or Naboo? What scenes really strike you as innovative or noteworthy? Naboo was terrible and the CGI in all of these scenes looks like shit now. Gungans were a mistake. Naboo is one of those places I actively try to forget was put into the Star Wars universe, actually. What was striking about the "green plains of Naboo"? Where there was a boring green field and horrifically animated CGI war sequences. Sure, there is some interesting and original design and artwork behind the making of these films but what ended up on screen was ruined in execution. There's a HUGE difference between artwork/conceptual design and the end product.

What do you mean, 'what politics'? The whole setup in Ep1 is part of Sidious's scheme to become chancellor and culminates in him gaining the power to finally get rid of the Jedi in Ep3. It's not particularly well executed (meaning: they would have had to show even more of it), but it's good enough.

I mean.. what politics were noteworthy or interesting? It's like you're not reading my posts. You said all of that stuff was interesting but I can't remember any politics that struck me as engaging or actively deepening/enriching the storytelling process of these films. The point I was trying to make about the opening crawl is that withing the first two sentences, the audience is fucking lost in boredom. Literally the second sentence is "The taxation of trade routes to outlying star systems is in dispute". The problem isn't necessarily that the film's plot is incomprehensible, it's that it's so goddamn boring that we don't care enough to bear through the plot. Star Wars works as a simple, easily followed adventure and the opening is far too heavily invested in politics that most people don't care about. These plot points could work if they were insignificant details that were passed around in dialogue between two characters in the film but instead it's the second fucking sentence in the plot outline of the beginning of Star Wars.
I could throw this right back and say that what you're saying sounds more like you didn't understand what was going on and are disappointed about Vader. I didn't take much issue with Anakin. His acting is certainly far from great, but enough to make me care about the character. For the record I also liked the light sabre fights, the way they handled Jedi and Sith, the space fights, the visuals, the music, the podracing in Ep1 etc. etc.

Already answered the "not understanding" in my post above. Yes, you're goddamn right I'm disappointed in Vader, that's the whole point. Hayden sucked as Anakin, and regardless of how bad the writing was, he made it worse because of being indisputably miscast. Had there been a decent actor in his position, we would at least have an Ewan situation where he salvaged some of the dialogue and writing and fans eventually wanted to see more of him. Who wants to see more of Hayden Christensen?

What did Hayden do to make you care about Anakin?

Sure, Like I said, there's positives sprinkled in the PT, but are you really trying to argue that its weaknesses don't greatly overshadow its strengths? That was my original point. I think it's pretty easy to say R1 and TFA do a much better job of giving fans things to enjoy opposed to things they don't.

Jesus.. well in that case I can understand your frustration with the PT. I saw Ep2 in cinemas when I was that age and I enjoyed it.

Lol, you're acting as if I'm the only one who was surprised at how bad the film was. There are numerous others who could recognize its shitty quality before it was even released (in the trailers) but still wanted to give it a chance and came out hating it. My opinion was not an outlier.

Why, of course. If you're not into SW, everything in TFA is new for you. That means you can enjoy ANH 2.0 without even thinking about it. People also hate politics in these movies, so it makes sense that the absolute zero politics in Ep7 would work out exceptionally well, while leaving me utterly confused about why things started out the way they did. It also pretty likely you're going to hate Jar Jar as an adult and General Grievous is also catering more to young boys. The CGI looking hella dated. A lot of stuff that doesn't really work anymore for everyone else.

ANH 2.0. Got it, you're able to recognize surface familiarity.

People don't necessarily hate politics in film, they just hate it in adventure movies, where it has no place being a driving factor in the story. Makes sense to me.

I hate to break it to you but Jar Jar is generally hated by everyone. Do you see any of his toys sold anymore? The fan reception was so awful that he was actively pushed out of the PT. And how much was he in the Clone Wars? It's not just adults.

Your "good enough" standards seem incredibly low; "it didn't really work, but that's fine" is a bizarre standard to set for satisfaction.

Isn't that eerily similar to one of clone war episodes, which is canon! They performed as clowns/performers to divert attention or something.

My biggest issue with the PT is the overwhelming beating you over the head of that underlying darkness within Anakin. It gives the PT movies such a overbearingly dark and dull tone. Outside of TPM, Hayden Anakin constantly plays the role in such a scowlingly rebellious way that you never like or sympathize with him. Any moments lightheartedness are acted/directed so poorly and moments where you're supposed to see that darkness bubble to the surface is so overplayed. The villains are so poor too. You're never rooting for Anakin because he's up against such a poorly defined foe. So all you're left with is wondering when he's gonna go full evil. And when he does, the character arc never convinces you that he would become the commanding Vader you see in Rogue One/OT. I know there's a huge chunk of time between the PT and the OT for him to get comfortable in his new role as Sith lord, but it requires so much filling in the blanks. This is a guy who never even liked the Light Side cause the Jedi Council are pricks. Why would he ever be seduced back to the lightside if he viewed it as a stifling relationship?

Wasn't that the Jedi padawans acting as an acrobat troupe? I think I remember that.

Yep.

latest

rokkerkory

So I saw it again (2nd time) last night. Man, o man... so much better the second time around (first was pretty good but left me perplexed). So I searched my feelings a bit more this time around.

The dialogue and even characters are better the second time around because I was paying attention to the acting rather than just being in awe (that there was another SW movie). Jyn is awesome. Her seen where she is listening to her dad's hologram truly showed how talented she is, without saying a word.

Cassian is really good as well and had 2 strong scenes. K2 is almost on golden rod's level and his ending was great. Rest of the characters needed to do what they had to, add to the story.

The action is > TFA and space fight is the best in SW ever. I really really like this movie, it's the adult SW we needed. I loved how everyone dies. I am almost scared to like this more than TFA.

Def gonna get this in 4k BR. <3

I'd love to hear more Shore in blockbuster films. And John Powell (although he's largely been taking a self-imposed break).

Shore's not interested in doing more straight-up blockbusters. He's always been more into doing thrillers and dramas. It's a shame he doesn't do more blockbusters, but hey good on him for not wanting to conform his style with the way current mainstream film music is.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So I saw it again (2nd time) last night. Man, o man... so much better the second time around (first was pretty good but left me perplexed). So I searched my feelings a bit more this time around.

The dialogue and even characters are better the second time around because I was paying attention to the acting rather than just being in awe (that there was another SW movie). Jyn is awesome. Her seen where she is listening to her dad's hologram truly showed how talented she is, without saying a word.

Cassian is really good as well and had 2 strong scenes. K2 is almost on golden rod's level and his ending was great. Rest of the characters needed to do what they had to, add to the story.

The action is > TFA and space fight is the best in SW ever. I really really like this movie, it's the adult SW we needed. I loved how everyone dies. I am almost scared to like this more than TFA.

I just took the kids to see this and I might agree, At least better than its been in years.

This was a great movie, emotional, funny lines. Some wtf moments. Totally caught off guard with them all dying at the end. And seeing Vader fight? He is the definition of bad ass. Whoever was playing him had his walk from earlier SW films down.

For a min I thought Jyn was gonna be a young Leia. Nice surprise to see Leia at the end.

And is it just me or did one of those bad guys look like Snoke? I cant remember his name right now...

LogicStep

I really liked it. Liked it way more than TFA.

Kaze Kyou

They had a ton of kick ass moments! More than Cassian. And their fates wasn't a negative at all since all of them died. Only 1 that really makes sense is your first point.

That's fair enough. I'm more than open to discussion about the amount of "kick-ass" moments they had and fates (personally I loved that no one survived - it showed the desperation of their situation), but my father unfortunately didn't get that same sense of pride that Mexican father felt seeing Diego Luna as the main male lead.

That said, baby steps. For me, I loved Jiang Wen and Donnie Yen's inclusion (Asian male representation FTW) but for my father, growing up in a generation where Asian male characters never survived and were always made fun of, it was the same thing over again.

I just realized that Jyn was killed by the weapon her father created.

Fuck that's depressing.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised Galen was killed by the Rebels in the end too. I expected Krennic would be choked to death by Vader but being killed by his own weapon was a lot better.

horkrux

No.. should I have? What was memorable about it or Naboo? What scenes really strike you as innovative or noteworthy? Naboo was terrible and the CGI in all of these scenes looks like shit now. Gungans were a mistake. Naboo is one of those places I actively try to forget was put into the Star Wars universe, actually. What was striking about the "green plains of Naboo"? Where there was a boring green field and horrifically animated CGI war sequences. Sure, there is some interesting and original design and artwork behind the making of these films but what ended up on screen was ruined in execution. There's a HUGE difference between artwork/conceptual design and the end product.

I liked the architecture, the aforementioned green plains. We've largely only seen hostile environments in Star Wars, so this served as the perfect contrast to this. It also didn't look as familiar as Endor. I just think it's a beautiful setting. I'm not talking about artworks here - I haven't even seen those.
I liked the battle scenes, the podracing, the scene with Anakin before Council, the scenes with Padme and Anakin (with the queen in disguise). But you sure make me think a lot about the movie I like the least out of all the PT ;)

I mean.. what politics were noteworthy or interesting? It's like you're not reading my posts. You said all of that stuff was interesting but I can't remember any politics that struck me as engaging or actively deepening/enriching the storytelling process of these films.

Yeah, sorry, I read your posting wrong here. I liked the scenes with the Senate, because they gave the background that was only brushed over in like one scene in ANH. Palpatine acting as the guy with only the best interests in mind is something I liked about them specifically or his struggle with the Jedi later on.

The point I was trying to make about the opening crawl is that withing the first two sentences, the audience is fucking lost in boredom. Literally the second sentence is "The taxation of trade routes to outlying star systems is in dispute". The problem isn't necessarily that the film's plot is incomprehensible, it's that it's so goddamn boring that we don't care enough to bear through the plot. Star Wars works as a simple, easily followed adventure and the opening is far too heavily invested in politics that most people don't care about. These plot points could work if they were insignificant details that were passed around in dialogue between two characters in the film but instead it's the second fucking sentence in the plot outline of the beginning of Star Wars.

I don't know why you would place such a huge emphasis on the opening crawl. The movie starts with them trying to negotiate with the Trade Federation, which quickly descends into sliced metal, blaster shots and explosions.
Even if your imaginary 'audience' was bored by the opening crawl, the first scenes should wake them up..

What did Hayden do to make you care about Anakin?

The fuck do I know? :D
His portrayal was immature, maybe I liked that.

Sure, Like I said, there's positives sprinkled in the PT, but are you really trying to argue that its weaknesses don't greatly overshadow its strengths? That was my original point. I think it's pretty easy to say R1 and TFA do a much better job of giving fans things to enjoy opposed to things they don't.

No. They catered to what I would mostly want out of a new SW movie, which TFA and R1 largely did not.
I'm absolutely willing to admit that TFA works out better simply as a movie if you leave out the SW part and ignore the contrieved story. In general the acting is better, there is no CGI to be unsure of and they focused on easily enjoyable adventure. But retreading an already told story in such minute manner and so unconvincingly without brining something new to the formula is what ultimately kills it for me. R1 didn't even have characters I cared about, let alone something to spark my interest with the things it does to shake up the formula. Until they went to Scarif.

Lol, you're acting as if I'm the only one who was surprised at how bad the film was. There are numerous others who could recognize its shitty quality before it was even released (in the trailers) but still wanted to give it a chance and came out hating it. My opinion was not an outlier.

lol, no I'm not. I'm just legit shocked that you almost had to cry over it as an 11-year-old. If the first movie managed to disappoint you so deeply, then of course I can see why you hate it so much. But let's not pretend that the movies left their young audience largely in tears. Ep1 received mixed critical reception, but I don't know about the audience. I was a fucking 8-year-old at the time.

ANH 2.0. Got it, you're able to recognize surface familiarity.

'Surface familiarity'... all right..if we started listing the familiarities it would smell more like 'carbon copy'.

People don't necessarily hate politics in film, they just hate it in adventure movies, where it has no place being a driving factor in the story. Makes sense to me.

I think the SW universe has the potential for more. But clearly, this is not wanted. I get that. It can't have both for whatever reason.

I hate to break it to you but Jar Jar is generally hated by everyone. Do you see any of his toys sold anymore? The fan reception was so awful that he was actively pushed out of the PT. And how much was he in the Clone Wars? It's not just adults.

You know, I was half expecting this so I wanted to put in something like 'inb4 Jar Jar is hated by everyone.' Why would they still make toys about Jar Jar. He was just there for goofy and extremely childish humor.

Your "good enough" standards seem incredibly low; "it didn't really work, but that's fine" is a bizarre standard to set for satisfaction.

I said there wasn't enough of it, so it didn't have the impact and depth it should have had. Your answer to this is to remove it, which I don't agree with.

jrush64

Banned
This movie was like a million times better than the Force Awakens which was just meh. I actually preferred all the characters in this one and was sad that they were all offed.

Kathian

Banned
You know one thing that's nagging me. The Vader scene in the hall. It was really poorly conceived. They needed the plans to get through but its literally about a minute before this fool realises he can throw them through meanwhile Vader hardly seems to care or react to the fact they are clearly falling out of his grasp.

ExVicis

This movie was like a million times better than the Force Awakens which was just meh. I actually preferred all the characters in this one and was sad that they were all offed.

Finn was easily better than every character in Rogue One, so I completely disagree with you.

99Luffy

Banned
You know one thing that's nagging me. The Vader scene in the hall. It was really poorly conceived. They needed the plans to get through but its literally about a minute before this fool realises he can throw them through meanwhile Vader hardly seems to care or react to the fact they are clearly falling out of his grasp.
Well I dont think vader knew that guy specifically had the disk. Not sure how he would.

As for the guy well Vader was right behind him. At that moment his priority is getting the door open to save his life, not the disk.

ExVicis

Well I dont think vader knew that guy specifically had the disk. Not sure how he would.
It's pretty much established already that Vader can sense things through the Force and can even see fears or hints of thoughts people have. He could easily have figured out the soldier was afraid of not passing the disk if for some reason he didn't see that Rebel soldier clearly had a disk in his hand.

mrkgoo

It's pretty much established already that Vader can sense things through the Force and can even see fears or hints of thoughts people have. He could easily have figured out the soldier was afraid of not passing the disk if for some reason he didn't see that Rebel soldier clearly had a disk in his hand.
Why do people need to question what happens? It worked. Maybe Vader could have done what you said. Maybe he couldn't. Maybe he just didn't.

It's just a story. We don't need every little details justified to an exacting measure. Take it at face value and just what happened. It's a fantasy story.

It wasn't so bad that it was unbelievable even for a Star Wars movie.

The Force and its use is always being ratcheted up and down in the films according the needs of the story. Just go with it.

For example, Vader cannot sense his own kids. Or retrieve the Death Star plans. Honestly, he may not even particularly care. Even in New Hope he shows a bit of a disdain for the Death Star.

Then in empire all it takes for a commander to tell him yeh rebel are on both and immediately he knows.

ExVicis

Why do people need to question what happens? It worked. Maybe Vader could have done what you said. Maybe he couldn't. Maybe he just didn't.

It's just a story. We don't need every little details justified to an exacting measure. Take it at face value and just what happened. It's a fantasy story.
I'm not particularly bothered by it, and it's really low on the totem pole of problems I found in the movie but I will say I remember in my head thinking "Why don't you just pass the goddamn disk through the space between the wall and the door?" when the scene happened in the movie.

In any case, why shouldn't people question what happens? People like to understand the story, is asking questions bad now?

Surfinn

As much as I enjoyed TFA more than R1, I'm really glad to see so many people who enjoyed the film. Even if R1 didn't exactly achieve what it could have, it's exciting to see that Disney are capable of making good spin-off films.

I liked the architecture, the aforementioned green plains. We've largely only seen hostile environments in Star Wars, so this served as the perfect contrast to this. It also didn't look as familiar as Endor. I just think it's a beautiful setting. I'm not talking about artworks here - I haven't even seen those.
I liked the battle scenes, the podracing, the scene with Anakin before Council, the scenes with Padme and Anakin (with the queen in disguise). But you sure make me think a lot about the movie I like the least out of all the PT ;)

That's fine, I can understand recognizing some of the conceptual design behind the films themselves, and some of it is quite good. Lots of it is bad though. Either way, IMO, the horrendously aged CGI drowns out any sign of quality or competence in just about every scene. They really do look worse and worse every year and with every SW release.

I will say that the podracing scenes have held up decently aside from occasional spotty and terrible CGI characters that crop up, and my god the sound design is incredible. The Jedi council stuff had potential to be excellent but is pretty botched because of poor writing. And it's difficult to take any scene seriously with Jake Lloyd. The only almost decent scene he had in the entire film is when he says goodbye to his mother, but he's basically getting fucking carried by the actor who plays Shmi.

Yeah, sorry, I read your posting wrong here. I liked the scenes with the Senate, because they gave the background that was only brushed over in like one scene in ANH. Palpatine acting as the guy with only the best interests in mind is something I liked about them specifically or his struggle with the Jedi later on.

Right, and again, the conception of the idea is fantastic, and Ian kills it as Emperor/Palp (aside from horrible direction in EP3, but that's more Lucas' fault). I do like the idea of Palp slowly taking over and fooling everyone. I wish they would have tied Plagueis into how he was able to deceive the Jedi into failing to sense that he was a Sith lord. The mythology introduced there has incredible potential but we only see it used in a single couple minute scene in EP3 (and again referenced in a line later on). That's a fucking shame.

I don't know why you would place such a huge emphasis on the opening crawl. The movie starts with them trying to negotiate with the Trade Federation, which quickly descends into sliced metal, blaster shots and explosions.
Even if your imaginary 'audience' was bored by the opening crawl, the first scenes should wake them up..

I put emphasis on the opening crawl because it explains to the audience what the fuck is going on. That's the entire point. The action doesn't mean shit if we don't care about the story and who is really enthralled after that introduction to the Star Wars universe? I think you're gravely missing my point.

The fuck do I know? :D
His portrayal was immature, maybe I liked that.

Lol I was hoping you'd explain why you enjoyed his portrayal. Being immature isn't exactly a strength from a writing or acting perspective.

No. They catered to what I would mostly want out of a new SW movie, which TFA and R1 largely did not.
I'm absolutely willing to admit that TFA works out better simply as a movie if you leave out the SW part and ignore the contrieved story. In general the acting is better, there is no CGI to be unsure of and they focused on easily enjoyable adventure. But retreading an already told story in such minute manner and so unconvincingly without brining something new to the formula is what ultimately kills it for me. R1 didn't even have characters I cared about, let alone something to spark my interest with the things it does to shake up the formula. Until they went to Scarif.

'Surface familiarity'... all right..if we started listing the familiarities it would smell more like 'carbon copy'.

Just gunna respond to both these here.

OK.. so you're telling me TFA is a "carbon copy" so let me point out some differences to you you're so eager to glaze over to prove a shoddy point.

New ideas/components to the SW universe:

• Defecting Stormtrooper who wants to do the right thing
  • Force user who struggles with the light side instead of the dark
  • Old nonbeliever who now fully accepts the force and the Jedi as real after decades of reluctance
  • Scavenger who makes a living by collecting scraps to survive, waiting fruitlessly for her family to return (and to discover who she really is)
  • Father who wants to bring his son home and confronts him
  • Father who is murdered trying to do just that
  • Scene that brilliantly contrasts Vader's decision to save Luke at the end of ROTJ (Kylo murdering Han, which is not a "mirror" of Obi-Wan dying in ANH at all)
  • Someone who uses a mask as a literal and figurative way of hiding his weaknesses
  • A character who descends further into darkness instead of ascending out of it
  • The force surrounding objects, direct images of the past, present, and future
  • Using the force to completely suspend living beings and objects
  • Using the force to read people thoughts, and to torture information out of them
  • Awesome imagery of past battles, seamlessly tied into scenes in the film to expand the universe, provide visual information about what may have happened and how it's effected both Jakku and the main protagonist on the planet, which also ties directly into the storyline
  • A storyline that shows the inner workings of the FO and Stormtrooper that uses a likable protagonist to both expand the universe and reveal their evil nature/purpose through his struggle
  • An awesome confrontation/saber battle in a snow setting coupled with lots of character development.
  • Countless instances of visual storytelling and character development that went over 90% of audience's head

Just as a start (the important thing is most of these differences directly relate to the characters and their place in the story). But.. it's just a copy of ANH! Right?! Since.. you know JJ used ANH as a backbone for driving the story forward (as he's said multiple times) it's the same exact movie! I'm incapable of using critical thinking in my SW films.

Now, I'm not pretending like they didn't reuse a lot of things from ANH, but again, those are largely surface criticisms (wow, look, A looks like B!), and lots of those people who are first to cry foul about rehashed material are also the first to check out of a deeper, more analytical conversation in regard to the things TFA does differently (especially with its characters and their interactions) and what it means for the story moving forward..

lol, no I'm not. I'm just legit shocked that you almost had to cry over it as an 11-year-old. If the first movie managed to disappoint you so deeply, then of course I can see why you hate it so much. But let's not pretend that the movies left their young audience largely in tears. Ep1 received mixed critical reception, but I don't know about the audience. I was a fucking 8-year-old at the time.

Jar Jar and Jake Lloyd are enough to even make some children cry, believe it or not. In all seriousness, thinking back, I may have exaggerated "almost in tears", but I was definitely crushed when I walked out. I don't think most of the audiences were on the verge of tears but I do think you need to look into fan reception of TPM. The hype died VERY quickly after release.

Again, you're downplaying the fact that a huge chunk of the audience was dissatisfied with TPM. Probably because you just admitted to not having a single idea of what initial reactions were. Age has nothing to do with that as this info is easily obtainable.

I think the SW universe has the potential for more. But clearly, this is not wanted. I get that. It can't have both for whatever reason.

It certainly does have a lot of potential for politics, just not in main episodes, which are built first and foremost as simple adventures. I think they could totally successfully use spinoffs and novels/comics/other mediums to delve deeper into this.

You know, I was half expecting this so I wanted to put in something like 'inb4 Jar Jar is hated by everyone.' Why would they still make toys about Jar Jar. He was just there for goofy and extremely childish humor.

Lol, what is this? You're totally deluded if you don't think the vast majority of fans dislike Jar Jar Binks. Again, you're lowering your standards by passing him off as "just there for goofy and extremely childish humor". That's acceptable to you? He is what people think of when they imagine TPM (hint: it's not a good thing). It's a running fan joke and has been for a LONG time.

Show me evidence of a significant number of people who enjoy him in the films. Do you think it was by accident he's hardly in EP2/3?

I said there wasn't enough of it, so it didn't have the impact and depth it should have had. Your answer to this is to remove it, which I don't agree with.

I never once said anything along the lines of "my answer is to remove it". Man.. you're really just not reading my posts. I said I don't think it should be a major part of the main films (specifically that it has "no place being a driving factor in the story", but that it can still be included in dialogue), which are adventure movies, and I stand by that. I think that's the general consensus too which is why you saw it almost completely gone in TFA. Back to the basics so we don't get a muddled and contrived introduction and unfocused storyline. Good decision.

ANH did things fucking perfectly. A few lines of dialogue here and there to give the audience important information/a sense of world building then we move on to the meat and potatoes of the story.

mrkgoo

I'm not particularly bothered by it, and it's really low on the totem pole of problems I found in the movie but I will say I remember in my head thinking "Why don't you just pass the goddamn disk through the space between the wall and the door?" when the scene happened in the movie.

In any case, why shouldn't people question what happens? People like to understand the story, is asking questions bad now?

Nah, it's ok to question, it's what these forums are for.

But you know, there's a spectrum. If it's under a particular threshold, I don't even think it's worth commenting, and just go with what the movie presents. If too many things cross the threshold, then it ventures into inconsistent for me too. Vader's hall scene didn't really cross that boundary for me. Passing the data card is the last resort knowing that you are going to die. Which they did do. But honestly, if I were in such a situation, I'd try the door as much as I could first, because you know as soon as you pass the card over, that's it.

Crazyorloco

Star Wars fans are pretty forgiving.

The first hour wasn't so great and I remember thinking to myself "when is something going to make me interested in these characters or film". It was dull and really slow paced. The rest of the film was good. If the whole film was like the last 15 minutes this film would be one of the greatest Star Wars films ever.

I rate it a B -. I do like how this story fits in with all the rest of the movies.
I was ok with everyone dying, which I shouldn't be.

ExVicis

Nah, it's ok to question, it's what these forums are for.

But you know, there's a spectrum. If it's under a particular threshold, I don't even think it's worth commenting, and just go with what the movie presents. If too many things cross the threshold, then it ventures into inconsistent for me too. Vader's hall scene didn't really cross that boundary for me. Passing the data card is the last resort knowing that you are going to die. Which they did do. But honestly, if I were in such a situation, I'd try the door as much as I could first, because you know as soon as you pass the card over, that's it.
Yeah, I mostly agree with that. The Hallway scene is just the most memorable part of the movie I think so I can understand people thinking about the scene a lot and as a result probably picking it apart and finding flaws.

Star Wars fans are pretty forgiving.

The first hour wasn't so great and I remember thinking to myself "when is something going to make me interested in these characters or film". It was dull and really slow paced. The rest of the film was good. If the whole film was like the last 15 minutes this film would be one of the greatest Star Wars films ever.

I rate it a B-. I do like how this story fits in with all the rest of the movies.
I was ok with everyone dying, which I shouldn't be.
I'm not very forgiving, although I still liked it enough to give it a C- or maybe a C.

But yeah I have noticed there's some real glossing over of the movie's flaws while somehow still acknowledging them. Lot of people admit the beginning was boring and yet still think the movie was a great or fantastic movie. I'm not sure how it's a great or fantastic movie if half of it is far from it. Re-watching the movie I find myself really just wishing the movie just dreading seeing the early bits again because it's just not interesting in the slightest and just re-affirms how flawed the movie is until Scarif.

mrkgoo

Yeah, I mostly agree with that. The Hallway scene is just the most memorable part of the movie I think so I can understand people thinking about the scene a lot and as a result probably picking it apart and finding flaws.

I'm not very forgiving, although I still liked it enough to give it a C- or maybe a C.

But yeah I have noticed there's some real glossing over of the movie's flaws while somehow still acknowledging them. Lot of people admit the beginning was boring and yet still think the movie was a great or fantastic movie. I'm not sure how it's a great or fantastic movie if half of it is far from it. Re-watching the movie I find myself really just wishing the movie just dreading seeing the early bits again because it's just not interesting in the slightest and just re-affirms how flawed the movie is until Scarif.

There's also diminishing effect. Like think about how cool a particular scene of any movie is, but having seen it dozens of times, it can wear thin a bit. But take that concept and apply it to "bad" scenes. Watching it a lot can diminish the bad effect.

It's funny, as a Star Wars nut, I find watching a NEW Star Wars film that I'm hyper critical the first time. I'm trying to make sense of the story, the new stuff. but on repeat viewings I tend to find myself in a sort of comfort zone, even if I don't particularly love it.

For the record I saw Rogue One twice, and I loved it.

Surfinn

There's also diminishing effect. Like think about how cool a particular scene of any movie is, but having seen it dozens of times, it can wear thin a bit. But take that concept and apply it to "bad" scenes. Watching it a lot can diminish the bad effect.

It's funny, as a Star Wars nut, I find watching a NEW Star Wars film that I'm hyper critical the first time. I'm trying to make sense of the story, the new stuff. but on repeat viewings I tend to find myself in a sort of comfort zone, even if I don't particularly love it.

For the record I saw Rogue One twice, and I loved it.

That's where I'm at too. It takes me at least two viewings to process a new SW film. I didn't really like TFA the first time I saw it but now I love it. After three viewings, I'm coming around to R1 more but am realizing that it's simply not as good of a film as TFA.

Finally saw this last night and thought it was pretty dull until the final 15 minutes, which also managed to drag a bit whenever the action cut back to the pilot trying to hook up a cable or something.

horkrux

I put emphasis on the opening crawl because it explains to the audience what the fuck is going on. That's the entire point. The action doesn't mean shit if we don't care about the story and who is really enthralled after that introduction to the Star Wars universe? I think you're gravely missing my point.

I still think it's a moot point, since you normally don't get one without the other. The opening crawl is suggesting something boring, which is then immediately put into question by the first scenes. You realize there is more behind all this.

Now, I'm not pretending like they didn't reuse a lot of things from ANH, but again, those are largely surface criticisms (wow, look, A looks like B!), and lots of those people who are first to cry foul about rehashed material are also the first to check out of a deeper, more analytical conversation in regard to the things TFA does differently (especially with its characters and their interactions) and what it means for the story moving forward..

I just wanted to put out something stronger, because you just brushed the similiarities off like that. Of course the movie puts its own spin on things (that's how I perceived it), but completely within the boundaries of a movie it is essentially retelling. The movie is framed in a story with way too many similiarities to even be considered its own:

- the starting point is the same
- the bad guys trying to get their hands on information. Here it is a map to Luke, back then it were the plans of the DS
- said information is passed over to a droid
- the previous carrier of this information is caught
- good guys crashing on a desert planet, home of the main character
- droid somehow finds his way to said MC
- good guys moving around in the Millenium Falcon with Han Solo. Their goal is to find the rebel base
- the rebel base is situated on a lush forest planet
- said planet is in danger of being destroyed by the bad guy's super weapon, if the good guys don't stop it in time
- the way in which Han Solo and Chewbacca are trying to destroy it is awfully similiar to what Obi Wan was doing back then
- Han Solo is miming Obi Wan even further when he also has to confront his son, just like Obi Wan had to confront Darth Vader. The outcome is the same, but the effects are reversed this time.

Now I just focused on the story. The dots here are connected poorly in contrast to how ANH did it, but that's the nature of senseless copy-paste. You could also add the defected storm trooper to the list since Rogue One, which is kinda funny. There are more similiarities of course to fuel the nostalgia, but I think the points above clearly show that you are essentially watching ANH 2.0. The characters are obviously different as you have also pointed out, but I mean they couldn't just straight up copy that.
What however strikes me the most is how one of the most meaningful things they could come up with is that the duel between Kylo and Han was to the benefit of the former this time instead of the later (who was Obi Wan back then). Wow. You call this a brilliant take on a classic scene, while I just add it to a long list of copy-pasted story elements. And quite frankly at that point there is no reason to even look into visual storytelling anymore imo.

We're ultimately looking at this movie from different angles, though, seeing how I was bothered by the similiarities, while you were delighted by the original elements. I'm willing to admit that judging from your list, the movie has a lot more going for it aside from the characters (esp. regarding the Force), but I simply can't look past the contrieved and copied story.

Again, you're downplaying the fact that a huge chunk of the audience was dissatisfied with TPM. Probably because you just admitted to not having a single idea of what initial reactions were. Age has nothing to do with that as this info is easily obtainable.

WHERE. Serious question.

It certainly does have a lot of potential for politics, just not in main episodes, which are built first and foremost as simple adventures. I think they could totally successfully use spinoffs and novels/comics/other mediums to delve deeper into this.

Again, I don't know why this has to be the case. If this is what Lucas wanted to show with the PT, then I guess the PT was the best way to show it, not additional spin-offs.

Lol, what is this? You're totally deluded if you don't think the vast majority of fans dislike Jar Jar Binks. Again, you're lowering your standards by passing him off as "just there for goofy and extremely childish humor". That's acceptable to you? He is what people think of when they imagine TPM (hint: it's not a good thing). It's a running fan joke and has been for a LONG time.

Why are you making such a huge deal of him? All I said was that he was aimed at children and you're presenting yourself and the lack of toys nowadays as evidence, that even children hated him. I KNOW the fans hate him, I never claimed otherwise.

I never once said anything along the lines of "my answer is to remove it". Man.. you're really just not reading my posts. I said I don't think it should be a major part of the main films (specifically that it has "no place being a driving factor in the story", but that it can still be included in dialogue), which are adventure movies, and I stand by that. I think that's the general consensus too which is why you saw it almost completely gone in TFA. Back to the basics so we don't get a muddled and contrived introduction and unfocused storyline. Good decision.

I am reading your posts, but I'm constantly skipping stuff :(

ANH did things fucking perfectly. A few lines of dialogue here and there to give the audience important information/a sense of world building then we move on to the meat and potatoes of the story.

Which worked fine the first time, but I thought it was the right thing to put more focus on this in the PT.

Surfinn

I still think it's a moot point, since you normally don't get one without the other. The opening crawl is suggesting something boring, which is then immediately put into question by the first scenes. You realize there is more behind all this.

How is it a moot point? Are you suggesting that the opening crawl (which outlines the film and where it's going) is irrelevant as long as the action is good? What? If you're relying on action scenes to cover for a contrived opening crawl you know something has gone terribly wrong. That's what the crawl is for.. this is like super basic stuff and it seems like you're just arguing for the sake of argument at this point.

WHERE. Serious question.

Google is your friend.. I just did a search for The Phantom Menace initial reviews and there is a lot of stuff there including critic and fan reactions. Lots are good, yes, but lots are very bad. It got way worse after the film sat in theaters for a few weeks though (after the visual effects splendor washed away).

Again, I don't know why this has to be the case. If this is what Lucas wanted to show with the PT, then I guess the PT was the best way to show it, not additional spin-offs.

Well, considering the PT failed miserably at implementing politics, I'd suggest either trying to incorporate it in a more thoughtful way or just choosing a different type of film/medium in the future.

Why are you making such a huge deal of him? All I said was that he was aimed at children and you're presenting yourself and the lack of toys nowadays as evidence, that even children hated him. I KNOW the fans hate him, I never claimed otherwise.

George Lucas at one point said he is "the key to all this", in regard to the story. You're acting as though he's some background character that appears in a couple scenes for kids. Everyone makes a big deal about him because he's terrible and ruined a huge part of TPM by being a main character.

I have no idea why you seem to think my opinion is in the minority.

Which worked fine the first time, but I thought it was the right thing to put more focus on this in the PT.

Except the politics in the PT were horribly executed and the vast majority of fans didn't enjoy them.

I just wanted to put out something stronger, because you just brushed the similiarities off like that. Of course the movie puts its own spin on things (that's how I perceived it), but completely within the boundaries of a movie it is essentially retelling. The movie is framed in a story with way too many similiarities to even be considered its own:

- the starting point is the same
- the bad guys trying to get their hands on information. Here it is a map to Luke, back then it were the plans of the DS
- said information is passed over to a droid
- the previous carrier of this information is caught
- good guys crashing on a desert planet, home of the main character
- droid somehow finds his way to said MC
- good guys moving around in the Millenium Falcon with Han Solo. Their goal is to find the rebel base
- the rebel base is situated on a lush forest planet
- said planet is in danger of being destroyed by the bad guy's super weapon, if the good guys don't stop it in time
- the way in which Han Solo and Chewbacca are trying to destroy it is awfully similiar to what Obi Wan was doing back then
- Han Solo is miming Obi Wan even further when he also has to confront his son, just like Obi Wan had to confront Darth Vader. The outcome is the same, but the effects are reversed this time.

Now I just focused on the story. The dots here are connected poorly in contrast to how ANH did it, but that's the nature of senseless copy-paste. You could also add the defected storm trooper to the list since Rogue One, which is kinda funny. There are more similiarities of course to fuel the nostalgia, but I think the points above clearly show that you are essentially watching ANH 2.0. The characters are obviously different as you have also pointed out, but I mean they couldn't just straight up copy that.
What however strikes me the most is how one of the most meaningful things they could come up with is that the duel between Kylo and Han was to the benefit of the former this time instead of the later (who was Obi Wan back then). Wow. You call this a brilliant take on a classic scene, while I just add it to a long list of copy-pasted story elements. And quite frankly at that point there is no reason to even look into visual storytelling anymore imo.

We're ultimately looking at this movie from different angles, though, seeing how I was bothered by the similiarities, while you were delighted by the original elements. I'm willing to admit that judging from your list, the movie has a lot more going for it aside from the characters (esp. regarding the Force), but I simply can't look past the contrieved and copied story.

The point I was trying to make is that the vast majority of the differences in the story have to do with deeper and more meaningful components (ie CHARACTERS and where they're going/who they might be in the coming films), which is a hell of a lot more interesting than the way the film looks or the surface similarities between basic plot points (not to say they shouldn't have been more creative visually, which I hope will be rectified in EP8/9). And since you're done reading my posts I'm done wasting my time commenting on this kind of stuff. I literally just explained to you how completely different the Han death scene was from Obi-Wan's (how it's a DIRECT CONTRAST with Vader's decision to save Luke and not a mirror of the confrontation in ANH). It's like I'm talking to a brick wall..

I am reading your posts, but I'm constantly skipping stuff :(

..oh. Now it makes sense. Well I guess I wasted my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom