• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Team ICO Collection (ICO and SotC HD ports) Coming March/April 2011

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Oh I see it's a joke.

Not really. You don't realise how cool it would be to point the sword in the direction you need to go.

Sly Collection is already dabbling with 3D, I don't see why this can't. Fuck, give us a 60fps 2D mode while we're at it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
luka said:
Don't be so dense. 24fps film stock that is basically the same shit they've been using since the dawn of film was an economic descision, not a fucking artistic choice. James Cameron himself said that 24fps stock is a "curse" and he wants to push for 48 as standard.
I know all that. I just like the look. 48FPS would be godsend for 3D movies though, and I was not surprised Cameron is pushing for that.

More on topic, I've played extensively with all kinds of settings of Ico in the PCSX2 emulator. I cannot underline enough how wrong it feels looking at that game running at 60FPS. It ends up feeling like it tries to look more realistic, when everything about it resonates that it's not supposed to look realistic. Very much like watching that smeary frame interpolation in movies where you just know that it looks wrong. I much preferred playing it at 50FPS for example, that tiny bit of judder added to it, rather than subtracted, and it looked just fine at original 30 too.

I was more OK with 60fps in SotC as that game has user controllable camera after all, but I settled with 50FPS there too with the emulator.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Not really. You don't realise how cool it would be to point the sword in the direction you need to go.

Thinking stuff like this is cool is the reason why you got picked on in middle school.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Teknoman said:
Do you realize what kind of an effect that game would have on your brain?
I am still caught up at the legal nightmare it would be for the two to make a game together with each subsidize owned by direct competitors.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I expect 60 from SOTC simply because it's already capped to that on PS2 (in very limited scenes, it actually goes up to 60, a lot like Infamous).

ICO would probably require reworking things, so it's more questionable whether they'll bother (but who knows).

ScOULaris

I wouldn't mind seeing SotC running at 60, because it did indeed run at 60 fps at times in the original PS2 version.

Ico, however, should still run at a locked 30. The comparison to watching a film that was shot at 24 in 120hz mode on an HD TV is apt. It just looks weird, and it actually makes the viewing experience worse.

When I saw Peter Jackson's King Kong in theaters, I though it had some of the most impressive, believable CGI to date. When I saw it running on a 120hz TV in Best Buy, with all of the interpolated frames, it made it look like a videogame cutscene.

Now, that's not exactly the case with making a game run at a higher FPS, because it's not artificially filling in missing frames. But for a game like Ico, that extra "smoothness" can make it look more "gamey" than originally intended. Essentially, I am trying to say that 30 FPS retains a certain filmic quality that our brains are used to because we have been watching movies at 24 FPS for so long.

modulaire

ScOULaris said:
I wouldn't mind seeing SotC running at 60, because it did indeed run at 60 fps at times in the original PS2 version.

Ico, however, should still run at a locked 30. The comparison to watching a film that was shot at 24 in 120hz mode on an HD TV is apt. It just looks weird, and it actually makes the viewing experience worse.

When I saw Peter Jackson's King Kong in theaters, I though it had some of the most impressive, believable CGI to date. When I saw it running on a 120hz TV in Best Buy, with all of the interpolated frames, it made it look like a videogame cutscene.

Now, that's not exactly the case with making a game run at a higher FPS, because it's not artificially filling in missing frames. But for a game like Ico, that extra "smoothness" can make it look more "gamey" than originally intended. Essentially, I am trying to say that 30 FPS retains a certain filmic quality that our brains are used to because we have been watching movies at 24 FPS for so long.

to achieve the filmic quality you want they need to add motion blur.

Benedict

Let's try this...
http://images.webhallen.com/product/114561/large

large

Webhallen is one of Swedens largest web retailers
Webhallen.com

StuBurns

Banned
Almost horrible enough to be believable. I had to import the Asian GoW Collection just to not offend my eyes quite so badly.

Suzzopher

StuBurns said:
Almost horrible enough to be believable. I had to import the Asian GoW Collection just to not offend my eyes quite so badly.

What was the Asian one like?

At least it's not the terrible American ICO art:lol

bridegur

The box art isn't that important to me, but there's got to be a better way to present it. Why not make it tasteful and use a sticker to help idiots figure out what it is?

BeeDog

oracrest said:
this can't be the real cover. Ico Ico Shadow of the Colossus Shadow of the Colossus.

It was the same with the God of War Collection. The above cover, while ugly, looks surprisingly legit.

StuBurns

Banned
oracrest said:
this can't be the real cover. Ico Ico Shadow of the Colossus Shadow of the Colossus.
GOW_Collection.jpg

This says God of War, then you see the names on the covers, then you get it written again below.

Nothing is too stupid, everything is permitted.

Danne-Danger said:
Eeeh I wouldn't put too much stock in that. They've listed several "rumored" games that never came to be before, not sure if they've done mock-ups like that in the past though.
Just to reinforce, here's 2 Days to Vegas, with boxart (though not as elaborate, made a long time ago) ready for pre-order: http://www.webhallen.com/spel/playstation_3/43536-2_days_to_vegas

That's just the first I could find due to the site giving me trouble while browsing, but if you go through their "upcoming" ("Kommande") section you might find some similar stuff.

Teknoman said:
Do you realize what kind of an effect that game would have on your brain?
I am prepared to sacrifice myself for the good of humankind.

Also, on that cover: did we get a god of war collection cover along with the announcement, or did it come at a later date?

BeeDog

Danne-Danger said:
Just to reinforce, here's 2 Days to Vegas, with boxart (though not as elaborate, made a long time ago) ready for pre-order: http://www.webhallen.com/spel/playstation_3/43536-2_days_to_vegas

That's just the first I could find due to the site giving me trouble while browsing, but if you go through their "upcoming" ("Kommande") section you might find some similar stuff.

But that's a fugly and obvious mock-up. You gotta admit the above cover seems plausible enough. :p It's not simply a reskin of the GoW Collection cover, there are enough differences that makes it very plausible.

BeeDog said:
But that's a fugly and obvious mock-up. You gotta admit the above cover seems plausible enough. :p It's not simply a reskin of the GoW Collection cover, there are enough differences that makes it very plausible.
Yeah I'm not denying that it could be real, but they might also have picked up some photoshop skills™ between then and now is all I'm saying. I just doubt they have a "scoop" on this one.

StuBurns

Banned
I've been wondering what the ultimate product would be called, we call it the Team ICO collection, but that doesn't really make sense to most people, it's a specific team within a studio, and the name is a direct reference to one game but not the other. I was hoping for "The Ueda Collection", I can't believe they're going to call it "Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection", it's a stupid title.

jett

D-Member
It's the exact same terrible template as the GOW collection. I'm almost convinced it's real, and final confirmation of the ports.

Top Bottom