• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legendary Shipping Meltdowns (SPOILERS)

Ray Down

Banned
Nah really people me x tashigi has to happen

Zolo might have an issue with that.

Problem is, as far as I'm aware, Ichigo didn't show any romantic feeling for Inoue. Same with Rukia.

You know what? Kubo should have gone with Tatsuki. Better pairing than Ichiruki or Ichihime.

Ichigo is such a nothing character it doesn't matter, Orihime did. Rukia never had feelings for Ichigo that way,

What?

Hinata earned that victory; her intervention in the Pein Arc was so damn beautiful.

She's literally the only one who loved and respected Naruto at the academy from Day 1.

She was the only reason I even bothered to watch Naruto: The Last Movie because it gave closure to her character arc.
Hinata took her ass beating like a true soldier, Sakura cried on top of a fucking rock.

Ichigo is such a nothing character it doesn't matter, Orihime did. Rukia never had feelings for Ichigo that way,

Nailed it on the head, though back when Ichigo had a semblance of a personality back in the first two arcs, he did always act nicer to Orihime than he did to anyone else and got more flustered around her too.

Hell, if memory serves me right, there was an anime convention a few years back (like 2010-2011, I think) where they got both the Japanese seiyu and English dub VAs for Ichigo together for a special panel and the two were asked by the fans who they thought Ichigo's love interest was- They both answered Orihime.

LotusHD

Banned
Zolo might have an issue with that.

I still remember that one video that made the good point of how compared to his contemporaries in Naruto and Luffy, Ichigo didn't have much, if any, long-term goals. It was always just protect, protect, protect, always reacting to whatever was going on around him.

Problem is, as far as I'm aware, Ichigo didn't show any romantic feeling for Inoue. Same with Rukia.

You know what? Kubo should have gone with Tatsuki. Better pairing than Ichiruki or Ichihime.

Why was he depressed when he found out she was kidnapped? He ended up deciding to go rescue her by himself (Orihime was the one that encouraged Ichigo to go rescue Rukia)

Also, why did he swear to protect her?

Why was he so affected by Orihime being scared of him using his Hollow powers during his fight with Grimmjow? After she pleaded for him to not get hurt anymore his resolve returned.

White may have been the one to rescue Ichigo from Ulquiorra but it was still his desire to protect Orihime that kept him going.

Ginjo noted that his training was going better after he brought Orihime to heal him.

Ichigo also comforts her in the final arc when they realize that Uryu was with the enemy.

His reaction to Urahara's dress was also pretty telling.

Why would Tatsuki do that? She was the one that was encouraging Orihime to go after him.

PSA

Can't Fear Your Own World Part 2 releases in 2 days, Part 1 gave a lot of information so everyone should look forward to it!

Nailed it on the head, though back when Ichigo had a semblance of a personality back in the first two arcs, he did always act nicer to Orihime than he did to anyone else.

Hell, if memory serves me right, there was an anime convention a few years back (like 2010-2011, I think) where they got both the Japanese seiyu and English dub VAs for Ichigo together for a special panel and the two were asked by the fans who they thought Ichigo's love interest was- They both answered Orihime.

I did though get a kick that Ichigo's Japanese seiyuu before he said that about Ichigo's love interest was "For me, it's Rangiku...".

Kinyou

I have to wonder if some shippers are just masochists in disguise, by shipping stuff that's just incredibly unlikely to happen

LddXnTi.jpg

Those characters literally never met.

Beth Cyra

I have to wonder if some shippers are just masochists in disguise, by shipping stuff that's just incredibly unlikely to happen

Those characters literally never met.
Lol well I suppose that plays into it a bit plus it's just fun to imagine the personality clashes and what it would be like if they felt attraction.

I still remember suggesting Mai and Shizuru from Mai Hime, even paid to have fan fiction written.....Man ShizNat fans got PISSED, like death threat level stuff.

Are shippers usually for homosexual pairings? Is it just for fun or because like, I guess they don't feel that there are enough homosexual couples in media. Cause I kinda get that-- but Jack pairing with Johnny Bravo kinda defeats the whole purpose...

Linkark07

Banned
Why was he depressed when he found out she was kidnapped? He ended up deciding to go rescue her by himself (Orihime was the one that encouraged Ichigo to go rescue Rukia)

Why was he so affected by Orihime being scared of him using his Hollow powers during his fight with Grimmjow? After she pleaded for him to not get hurt anymore his resolve returned.

White may have been the one to rescue Ichigo from Ulquiorra but it was still his desire to protect Orihime that kept him going.

Ginjo noted that his training was going better after he brought Orihime to heal him.

Ichigo also comforts her in the final arc when they realize that Uryu was with the enemy.

Why would Tatsuki do that? She was the one that was encouraging Orihime to go after him.

PSA

Can't Fear Your Own World Part 2 releases in 2 days, Part 1 gave a lot of information so everyone should look forward to it!

You have a very good memory, because I don't remember those small details. I'm honest, not being snarky.

That said, Ichigo says he will protect everyone. And if memory serves me well, he also got depressed when Rukia was jailed in SS and Byakuya defeated him.

One thing we can all agree though, was that Rukia and Renji was stupid. That really came out of nowhere.

Edit: how were the shipping wars when Code Geass was airing? Since it is returning, it will most likely bring them back full force.

aly

Either way even if Ichihime happened it's still pretty shit tier.

Yep. It would've been the case no matter the pairing. Ichihime, Ichigo/Rukia, Urryu/ Orihime. People should've realized there was no way to be happy either way.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Are shippers usually for homosexual pairings? Is it just for fun or because like, I guess they don't feel that there are enough homosexual couples in media. Cause I kinda get that-- but Jack pairing with Johnny Bravo kinda defeats the whole purpose...

It's really for any reason under the sun, particularly in terms of being invested in a character/story.

LotusHD

Banned
You have a very good memory, because I don't remember those small details. I'm honest, not being snarky.

That said, Ichigo says he will protect everyone. And if memory serves me well, he also got depressed when Rukia was jailed in SS and Byakuya defeated him.

One thing we can all agree though, was that Rukia and Renji was stupid. That really came out of nowhere.

Not really. I mean, I didn't care whether it happened or not, but I'm pretty sure I recall Renji looking like he had a crush on her, and their banter/rapport in hindsight makes it rather believable.

Beth Cyra

Hell nah.

MASSIVE ship groups and melt downs for straight stuff.

Bo/Dyson from Lost Girls
Korra/Mako from Legend of Korra
Naruto/Sakura
Himeko/Souma from Kannazuki No Miko

So it goes all across types and genders.

Linkark07

Banned
Not really. I mean, I didn't care whether it happened or not, but I'm pretty sure I recall Renji looking like he had a crush on her, and their banter/rapport in hindsight makes it rather believable.

Always saw them as childhood friends who loved each other as siblings.

In addition to the above, as mentioned earlier in this topic, the couple that the term "shipping" was created for in the first place was Mulder/Scully.

Yep. It would've been the case no matter the pairing. Ichihime, Ichigo/Rukia, Urryu/ Orihime. People should've realized there was no way to be happy either way.

Yup.

The only real satisfaction I got from seeing IchiHime end up as canon was knowing that I'd been reading the manga right the whole time. Used to get a fair amount of shit from some of the more crazed IR shippers on the Internet for being "delusional" and "missing Kubo-sensei's grand masterplan" and all that.

Ray Down

Banned

Though Renji actually getting anywhere is unbelievable.

Never got that impression tbh

Same. It was pretty clear that the primary romances in Bleach were IchiHime and RenRuki to me, regardless of whatever "quality" the writing was.

This guy.

Flash_Sentry's_human_counterpart_EG.png

The MLP fandom hated him so much. No idea if they still do.

A bit, but every appearance he's had since then has turned him into a running joke.

These days, the MLP fandom has a hate boner for Twilight's new flame, Timber Spruce...

latest

Edit: how were the shipping wars when Code Geass was airing? Since it is returning, it will most likely bring them back full force.
I didn't think Renji/Rukia came out of nowhere. There whole thing was that they were childhood friends that were separated because she got adopted into a noble family. Rukia noted that she thought that Renji had a crush on her because he would always mess with her whenever they would pass each other in the Academy.

Renji's storyline was rising in the ranks until he was worthy enough to be with Rukia. In the chapter 205.6 (parallels chapter 1) when he received his promotion to Lieutenant, his friends say that he can finally talk to Rukia after 40 years now that they're practically equals.

This guy.

Flash_Sentry's_human_counterpart_EG.png

The MLP fandom hated him so much. No idea if they still do.

I made a big post about Flash Sentry a bit earlier.

As for Timber Spruce, I haven't seen any hate for him. Or love. Or like. People seem to just ignore him.

Time to bring some My Little Pony into this! 2013 was a time of great conflict for the fandom. Not only did the season 3 finale somewhat randomly introduce changes to the main character, Twilight Sparkle, but it was discovered that there was going to be a spinoff movie about an alternate dimension where the ponies are humans attending high school, Equestria Girls. People thought this was a terrible idea.

Character models from Equestria Girls were leaked well before we got any real information about the story, and among them was a douchey looking guy with a guitar. That character was Flash Sentry (nicknamed Brad before his real name was revealed), and people immediately recognized that he was meant to be a love interest for Twilight. People were upset about this not just because Twilight is usually shipped with, well, everyone else, but also because this seemed like a terrible way to introduce a canon love interest. Was it really going to be some random high schooler with a guitar? This was just another thing to pile onto all the drama of the year.

When the movie came it, it was clear that Flash really was intended to be her love interest--they even had the built in couple name FlashLight. The funny thing is, it seemed like the writer went out of her way to do the bare minimum of this: Twilight and Flash barely interacted, Twilight kept putting the story ahead of him, and when Twilight went back to her home dimension in the end, she didn't even say goodbye to him! In general, Flash was barely a character in the movie. In the second movie, they interacted even less, though they did hint at their romance more strongly with a near kiss and such.

However, come the third and fourth movie, and Twilight and Flash are never seen together. Flash has progressed into purely being a joke character, asking the others about Twilight only to be told she's too busy to see him, and he's even explicitly told to move on. He tries hitting on the Twilight from the human dimension (nicknamed SciTwi), only to be shut down. He tries going back to his old girlfriend Sunset Shimmer, only to be shut down. And whenever this happens, comedic background character Derpy appears to give him a supportive pat on the shoulder.

The show crew is well aware that no one likes Flash. They've even stated that an unanimated scene from the 100th episode, "Slice of Life", involved the pony version of Flash complaining to another character that he tries everything he can, but no one likes him, only for that character to walk away. It's amazing how far this potential love interest has fallen. But as one of those people who didn't want Flash anywhere near Twilight, I'm perfectly fine with how things turned out.

Oddly enough, the fourth Equestria Girls movie introduced a love interest for SciTwi, and he even explicitly started dating her, and no one seems to care. But no one seems particularly interested either; the vast majority of SciTwi shipping still involves pairing her up with Sunset Shimmer. A big part of it is that SciTwi is a different character than the pony Twilight, even if they are alternate dimension versions of each other, so it's not like "our" Twilight is being paired up with someone.

As for shipping wars, I oddly can't think of anything big enough to bleed out of whatever corner of the Internet the rabid shippers hang out in. There are certain pairs that are absolutely forbidden to break, but oddly enough, they are just background characters: Lyra X Bon Bon and Octavia X Vinyl Scratch, off the top of my head. Besides those, the allowable pairings have huge variety. Perhaps that's the reason why there isn't much fighting: if there were fewer, then rivalries would consolidate, but with so many, you just have to accept it.

jrush64

Banned

PSA

That doesn't mean he was interested in Orihime. You could say the same things for Rukia and even more. Ichigo x Orihime like Renji x Rukia came out nowhere and was just convenient. Just because they were childhood friends does not mean there was anything there. There was no buildup or anything like that at all.

The manga shouldnt have ended with any BS pairings imo.

Voror

Man it's been a while and I remember them getting kind of intense, but never on the level seen with stuff like Bleach or Naruto. Pretty much all the pairings were involved with Lelouch with a couple others. I'd say they all got stuff you could cite as evidence of it occurring in the story where it would make sense, but the show never fully committed on any of them or how he actually felt.

I'm sort of dreading the return of that. My hopes are that they just make it clear what the situation is early on and just develop whatever it is in conjunction with the main plot.

Alternately, have it so that all parties have moved on into new relationships.

I made a big post about Flash Sentry a bit earlier.

As for Timber Spruce, I haven't seen any hate for him. Or love. Or like. People seem to just ignore him.

Dang, I skimmed the thread for any mention of him, but I must have missed your post. You did a much better job than I did.

Season 3 is where I stopped paying attention to that fandom at all. Too much drama. I've enjoyed the show a lot more as a casual thing to sometimes watch with friends.

Razmos

It's the latter. Lack of actual gay couples in media make us seek them out wherever we can. Obsessive shipping is often a side effect of this.

Ray Down

Banned
Man it's been a while and I remember them getting kind of intense, but never on the level seen with stuff like Bleach or Naruto. Pretty much all the pairings were involved with Lelouch with a couple others. I'd say they all got stuff you could cite as evidence of it occurring in the story where it would make sense, but the show never fully committed on any of them or how he actually felt.

I'm sort of dreading the return of that. My hopes are that they just make it clear what the situation is early on and just develop whatever it is in conjunction with the main plot.

Alternately, have it so that all parties have moved on into new relationships.

You know that ain't going to happen lol.

At least one ship for Lelouch is over leaving like only 3 left.

It is Suzaku.

Most likely it is C.C.
I don't see Lelouche and Suzaku the same way I see Athrun and Kira. Athrun is Kira's life mate meanwhile I think Athrun pretty much plays for both teams while being in an exclusive bi, poly relationship with Kira. Lacus is nothing but a beard.

Linkark07

Banned
I don't see Lelouche and Suzaku the same way I see Athrun and Kira. Athrun is Kira's life mate meanwhile I think Athrun pretty much plays for both teams while being in an exclusive bi, poly relationship with Kira. Lacus is nothing but a beard.

Nah, was just kidding. Doubt Suzaku will hook with anyone after what happened to Euphie.

Remembered another meltdown: The World God Only Knows ending. Man, that was brutal when the fanbase knew Keima picked Chihiro. Everybody lost their mind.

Ray Down

Banned
Nah, was just kidding. Doubt Suzaku will hook with anyone after what happened to Euphie.

Remembered another meltdown: The World God Only Knows ending. Man, that was brutal when the fanbase knew Keima picked Chihiro. Everybody lost their mind.

Maybe he will fuck her older sis.

Top Bottom