• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

GrumpyAlien said:
VideogamePigsTomba2-620x.jpg

Oh yeah! A Tomba 3 would be cool for XBLA/PSN!

Looking for a game that was kinda like a RTS but it wasn't. I think it was on Old Nes or Genesis. You went around in the game collecting gold and you would use that gold to buy more guys to follow you around and help you fight all of the monsters that were around.

Things I remember

-Collecting gold, caves, ogres, big armies of men following me around when I moved, big armies of enemies attacking me.

:( please somebody help me find this game, i've been looking for a decade and I'm only 22.

That Singer Guy... said:
Looking for a game that was kinda like a RTS but it wasn't. I think it was on Old Nes or Genesis. You went around in the game collecting gold and you would use that gold to buy more guys to follow you around and help you fight all of the monsters that were around.

Things I remember

-Collecting gold, caves, ogres, big armies of men following me around when I moved, big armies of enemies attacking me.

:( please somebody help me find this game, i've been looking for a decade and I'm only 22.

When I read this, the first thought that came to mind was, "Hey, that sounds just like King's Bounty which I'm playing now. I know it was based on a previous King's Bounty game."

King's Bounty: the Conqueror's Quest came out for Genesis. Could this be the one?

Tunavi

Banned
someguyinahat said:
That game is Sammy's Science House. (They STILL have it in schools and kids play it to this day.)

There are indeed other games in the same universe. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Bailey's Book House.

Edit: Oh yeah and Millie's Math House.

Yes!!! Thank you

RustyO

Calavera520 said:
Does anyone remember a turn based overhead dogfighting game from the 90s? the backdrop was clouds and you'd navigate fighters (i think ww2 era) on the screen. Steambirds is very similar to it but I want to find the original.

Was going to say The Ancient Art of War in the Skies but having just given Steambirds a quick whirl, it's a bit different.

AAWS was (if I recall correctly) a lot more stratergy on the map, then dogfights/bombing runs when conflicts occured.

Grakl

Help me GAF, been wondering what this game is for years.

Console: Sega Genesis

It's an arcade beat-em-up similar to Final Fight. It can be two player, and the characters are red and blue. They can hit each other, I believe. The first level takes place on a space ship.

Any help?

I have two that I have wanted to remember for years and years but I can't. I'll try to be as specific as I can.

1. either a nes or genesis games, cant really remember, leaning on nes.
You run into the screen and have to jump over pits on a lunar-esque or weird dreamscape like map that rolls backwards in semi-3d?? Your in outer space maybe, I loved it soo much I've been trying to remember it for years. You had to time jump else fall into said pits, which happened constantly. I remember it being as addictive as the surfing mode in that olympics game for nes which I also cant remember the name of, lol.

2. The other was a space shooter where you flew around in 2d environments which reminded me of the special level in the original sonic the hedgehog, it rotated around and had a huge overmap ala Zelda. This game might have been an Atari game, but Im leaning on either genesis or nes once again. I remember getting such a high score in it, and my friend wouldn't check out my score, so I accidentally moved really fast, and hit this glass door pane with my hand when I turned. I had 7 stitches and still have the scar.

Good luck!

scorpscarx said:
You run into the screen and have to jump over pits on a lunar-esque or weird dreamscape like map that rolls backwards in semi-3d?? Your in outer space maybe, I loved it soo much I've been trying to remember it for years. You had to time jump else fall into said pits, which happened constantly. I remember it being as addictive as the surfing mode in that olympics game for nes which I also cant remember the name of, lol.

3D World Runner

Grakl said:
Help me GAF, been wondering what this game is for years.

Console: Sega Genesis

It's an arcade beat-em-up similar to Final Fight. It can be two player, and the characters are red and blue. They can hit each other, I believe. The first level takes place on a space ship.

Any help?

battle toad vs double dragon
captain america and the avengers?

Bulk_Rate

Ducky_McGee said:
That's it!

I had the original 3DO version, played the shit out of it. Got to the mission where you fight Chaos Marines, at which point my 3DO internal memory got corrupted.

Never went back...

Space A Cobra said:
3D World Runner

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..."are. The North American release, which was the first Square game to reach American shores, was published by Acclaim Entertainment, Inc. for the Nintendo Entertainment System.'

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Bringing this here, didn't realize this thread before.

When I was younger I would play a handful of games on my friends computer. I never can remember what the names were or what they were about, but I remember some minor details.

1. The one that's most clear was a medical game. You were a doctor or nurse (I assume), and you would have to cure diseases and fix problems. It was basically point and click from what I remember. I remember you had to basically zap the diseases and all that stuff, and on top of it you could wander the hospital, even walk outside.

2. Strange game where you played in a future society (Maybe?). I remember it was point and click... you could lay in some sort of chamber and kind of travel or sleep. You could answer the phone or listen to it or something. I don't remember much else, except that I think the guy on the front was in some sort of metal suit, mostly forget though.

The medical game is not life and death.

When I was younger I would play a handful of games on my friends computer.

Can you remember what kind of computer it was, or the approximate time frame? It will help narrow the search, especially if it's particularly old or non-PC.

scorpscarx said:

T&C Surf Designs (NES) or California Games (NES)?

2. The other was a space shooter where you flew around in 2d environments which reminded me of the special level in the original sonic the hedgehog, it rotated around and had a huge overmap ala Zelda. This game might have been an Atari game, but Im leaning on either genesis or nes once again. I remember getting such a high score in it, and my friend wouldn't check out my score, so I accidentally moved really fast, and hit this glass door pane with my hand when I turned. I had 7 stitches and still have the scar.

The Guardian Legend? (NES)

Night_Trekker said:
T&C Surf Designs (NES) or California Games (NES)?

The Guardian Legend? (NES)

Yeah it was California games, that one was pretty easy.

No it wasn't that game, it was spaceship only, and it wasn't on rails moving forward(up) the screen. You could freely move around the 2d corridors. That game does look awesome though.

Platy

scorpscarx said:

If it was on genesis it is probably something along the lines of Panorama Cotton or Space Harrier, the last one the wikipedia article says it has an atari version .... but none you control an actual spaceship (and i don't remember an overmap...)

msdstc said:
Bringing this here, didn't realize this thread before.

When I was younger I would play a handful of games on my friends computer. I never can remember what the names were or what they were about, but I remember some minor details.

1. The one that's most clear was a medical game. You were a doctor or nurse (I assume), and you would have to cure diseases and fix problems. It was basically point and click from what I remember. I remember you had to basically zap the diseases and all that stuff, and on top of it you could wander the hospital, even walk outside.

2. Strange game where you played in a future society (Maybe?). I remember it was point and click... you could lay in some sort of chamber and kind of travel or sleep. You could answer the phone or listen to it or something. I don't remember much else, except that I think the guy on the front was in some sort of metal suit, mostly forget though.

The medical game is not life and death.

Was it The Journeyman Project Turbo? It came pre-loaded on Packard-Bell PCs back in the mid-90s...total nostalgia rush for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1OAcXgAhjM

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
A27 Tawpgun said:
Both of these were for the N64.

One of them was a game where you used what seemed like construction vehicles and you would roll around the city causing absolute mayhem. I remember I loved being able to go wherever I wanted and stuff. They almost looked like toys since the camera was kind of top down but not really. More like a far out third person view.

The second was a star wars game, and I remember I was in some snow facility, and there were those big ass yeti things (forgot what they're called) and you could release them and such. Reason I remember this game was because when you released them they would chase you everywhere and it was the scariest thing ever at the time.
First one is Blast Corps. Dunno about the second one.

MisterNoisy

scorpscarx said:

Good luck!

Vanguard?

aechris

I hope someone's got this on their iPhone. There was a puzzle game I played where you need to connect numbers with a line that matches the number of blocks between them. Like if there's a 6, you need to connect it to another similarily-colored 6 with 4 squares between them. When you finish it makes a picture.

There's a couple of DS games where you do the same, but the one I'm thinking of is for iPhone/iPad and has a scientist/travel motif.

Any ideas?

protonion

aechris said:
I hope someone's got this on their iPhone. There was a puzzle game I played where you need to connect numbers with a line that matches the number of blocks between them. Like if there's a 6, you need to connect it to another similarily-colored 6 with 4 squares between them. When you finish it makes a picture.

There's a couple of DS games where you do the same, but the one I'm thinking of is for iPhone/iPad and has a scientist/travel motif.

Any ideas?

Piczle Lines

Path Pix is even better imo.

abracadaver said:
who can tell me what game this is:

half-life-2-exploding209qu.jpg

its from a scene in Dr House

Metal Gear Raiden.

you know, it says the goddamn name of the game in the url for crying out loud

Stealth edit 2: and i own half life 2 in orange box damnit i dont recall that shit

webrunner

abracadaver said:
who can tell me what game this is:

half-life-2-exploding209qu.jpg

its from a scene in Dr House

It's a fake game that they keep bringing up on the show: one episode was about the developers of the game getting sick, and they re-use the cg from that episode whenever they want to show a video game.

Sethos

Banned
Played this awesome game on mah' Amiga 1200, sidescrolling helicopter game where you'd rescue PoWs and just blow stuff up. ( Vague memory, yes ). And the game would freeze if you overdid the fire attacks the helicopter had ... Oh those days.

abracadaver

webrunner said:
It's a fake game that they keep bringing up on the show: one episode was about the developers of the game getting sick, and they re-use the cg from that episode whenever they want to show a video game.

thanks, thought it was a real game

Sethos said:
Played this awesome game on mah' Amiga 1200, sidescrolling helicopter game where you'd rescue PoWs and just blow stuff up. ( Vague memory, yes ). And the game would freeze if you overdid the fire attacks the helicopter had ... Oh those days.

Sounds like Choplifter

protonion

Sethos said:

Apocalypse?
Apocalypse_1.png

galvatron

scorpscarx said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_Force or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_Force_II?

Brapscallion

Neo Member
I can't find the answer to this anywhere, but I'd LOVE to know.

It was a 4-player arcade brawler I played in the 90's. It was similar to Golden Axe in setting, but the players could transform into different animals, I remember a bear and a cheetah. The cheetah could do a move where he zipped across the screen I think. I NEED to know the name of this game, as I remember it to be fantastic! Please help!

Brapscallion said:

It was a 4-player arcade brawler I played in the 90's. It was similar to Golden Axe in setting, but the players could transform into different animals, I remember a bear and a cheetah. The cheetah could do a move where he zipped across the screen I think. I NEED to know the name of this game, as I remember it to be fantastic! Please help!

Metamorphic Force?

stuminus3

Brapscallion said:

Metamorphic Force?

EDIT: holy shit how could I be 10 whole minutes late? :lol

I have a game that I went through some hard thinking to figure out and I finally remembered it but I kind of want to see if someone from gaf could help me if I didn't remember.

So here it goes I'm typing this as I would if I couldn't remember.

Side scrolling game for NES
You can be either a helicopter or a jeep
The jeep can jump
I remember it being pretty difficult
The background of the first level is blue
The stages have bosses at the end
I used to call it GI Joe

$200

Banned
180PIFanStyleMuntz.jpg

Ever seen something like this in a game?

I'm looking for this old adventure game on DOS and the only thing I can remember is a scene with an elevator with this thing above it.

DeadTrees

VivaciousSoul said:
Side scrolling game for NES
You can be either a helicopter or a jeep
The jeep can jump
I remember it being pretty difficult
The background of the first level is blue
The stages have bosses at the end
I used to call it GI Joe
Silkworm.

$200 said:
180PIFanStyleMuntz.jpg

I'm looking for this old adventure game on DOS and the only thing I can remember is a scene with an elevator with this thing above it.

I'm not quite sure, but let's try and jog your memory.

Was the game in EGA or VGA, or earlier than that?

Was the game set in the early 20th century?

Did the game have a scene with a hotel in it?

$200

Banned
someguyinahat said:
I'm not quite sure, but let's try and jog your memory.

Was the game in EGA or VGA, or earlier than that?

Was the game set in the early 20th century?

Did the game have a scene with a hotel in it?

No idea about any of these :(

The game was on a 5.25" and I played it in around 1992~1993.

There's also this sewage or sort which you can get flushed away in.

I saw this game in an issue of Nintendo Power. It had an anime influence on its character design, and I believe a girl with green hair. It had vehicles (?). And I believe it took place in a bunch of caves, or a lot of it was underground. It was a sidescrolling game too.

GrumpyAlien said:
I saw this game in an issue of Nintendo Power. It had an anime influence on its character design, and I believe a girl with green hair. It had vehicles (?). And I believe it took place in a bunch of caves, or a lot of it was underground. It was a sidescrolling game too.

That sounds like WURM: Journey to the Center of the Earth

RoryDropkick said:
That sounds like WURM: Journey to the Center of the Earth

After a quick google of the name, I can confirm that is exactly what it is. Thanks.

I am now really curious to try it out. I don't think I have thought about the game since the 90's when I was holding the magazine. Also seeing someone asking about "Silkworm" a few posts back made my memory of the game come to me, probably because of the "worm" part of that name and the vehicles as well. All of a sudden I remembered this really awesome looking game I hadn't thought of in 20 years.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
GAF. Plz help me find this game. I rented it for a weekend and liked what I played. Would love to check it out again.

The game is for the PsOne, is a first person Fanstasy Medieval RPG that takes place in an Island. You begin in the sea or the beach. There's a giant Squid blocking a Cave in one part of the Island. I also remember that one of the recurrent enemies were walking carnivore plants.

Lonely1 said:
GAF. Plz help me find this game. I rented it for a weekend and liked what I played. Would love to check it out again.

The game is for the PsOne, is a first person Fanstasy Medieval RPG that takes place in an Island. You begin in the sea or the beach. There's a giant Squid blocking a Cave in one part of the Island. I also remember that one of the recurrent enemies were walking carnivore plants.
King's Field?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OD5RHphNGM

vulva

$200 said:
180PIFanStyleMuntz.jpg

you say it was a DOS game, but I also remember that being in Ghoul School on the NES

Top Bottom