• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Demo Impressions

Grinchy

Banned
Ok, didn't realize that I wasn't the only one who couldn't get into a game. I'll go back and play the challenges then. The driving felt really nice when it was just me on the map.

ElRenoRaven

David telling an asshole off who came late and got shitty about wanting an answer to a question already answered. Goddamn David I love how you aren't afraid to lay into stupid people.

Question...how do you use: -

1. Remote bomb
2. Ricochet
3. Sniper missile

And how do i change my lock-on to another target? I hate those Talons flying above. Can I shoot upwards with the machine gun (L2)?

Acrylic7

was the reason behind the "Matchmaking Error" thing ever announced?

This is worse than the KZ3 beta :(
and that's hard to do. Really want to play other people.

Dibbz

was the reason behind the "Matchmaking Error" thing ever announced?

This is worse than the KZ3 beta :(
and that's hard to do. Really want to play other people.

They're working on a fix. Might be in the next few days.

Also it's just heard about the delay in Europe. Fuck man this blows. March 1st now is it?

Duffyside

Banned
Holy crap. They just described one of the hardest trophies ever:

Fire a freeze missile at someone that is already frozen so it bounces back, hits you for 1HP damage, and kills you.

Not hard at all if you can earn it in a custom match with friends. Can you? This is the only way I platinumed Red Faction: Guerrilla.

First impression?

AHH! So many controls!

But after a while you get used to it. I haven't had the chance to play much of it yet, nor online, but I guess it's pretty cool. Though I was getting my ass kicked severely by the AI for the 8 or so goes I had it at.

The graphics aren't amazing, but they're good for what's needed, plus it runs pretty much silky smooth which is always great for these sort of games.

Dibbz

hey guys im back on

tumblr_ldpn1sdwRg1qayzvw.jpg

Hi2u

Banned
I would get this game but I really don't like the person behind it. Also this needed to be multiplatform. Is it really gonna sell? Most people these days are the CoD crowd and don't even know what Twisted Metal is.

AwShucks

Who is everyone using that finds the AI hard? I didn't play much, but picked the Ghostbuster car and it seems to remedy these issues.

Mr Grimm. Which makes sense but he's always been my favorite vehicle and in TM Black and I can handle AI with ease. The issues with me are two fold, the Mr Grimm controls in TM Black are more like Crimson Viper in NuTM. So partly control issue and just needing to figure out the intricacies of each vehicle. Other issue is that his special doesn't fire instantly. Take a bit of getting used, especially since I've played Black for a billion hours.

Lingitiz

I would get this game but I really don't like the person behind it. Also this needed to be multiplatform. Is it really gonna sell? Most people these days are the CoD crowd and don't even know what Twisted Metal is.

1. David Jaffe is a bit hot headed at times but he is really passionate about what he does, which is more than you can say for most devs.

2. Sony owns the IP.

I'm still not digging the controls. Race Controls are more to my speed, but they're still cumbersome. It feels to me like they just mapped buttons because they were there and not because it's elegant design.

Ideally I'd prefer:

L2 brake.
Hold L2 to reverse.
L2x2 Reverse Turbo.
R2 to accelerate.
R2x2 Turbo (as it is now)

I am trying to think of how to handle the E Brake. I was thinking the War/Starhawk control method handles it perfectly by pressing gas and brake at the same time and cutting your wheel. Although with what I proposed above, I'm not sure if that would further complicate matters. Or just put E Brake on R3, not exactly elegant.

This would then free up L1/R1 for main and secondary weapons.

Move weapon cycling to the D-Pad L/R.

Put the ram move on D-Pad Up while boosting.

Press D-Pad down to fire backward.

Face symbol buttons could then be mapped to handle the special moves (freeze/mine/shield/I forget the fourth).

I want to like this game, but the controls are really pissing me off. :\

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The irony here is that TM was basically the original dudebro game. And I mean that in the best possible way.

people should just answer to your post with another post of yours:
This is such a stupid post and a reason to not buy a game. You must miss out on a lot of great games then.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Yeah I'm rusty as fuck >_<

I was like why am I not moving... pressing R2 over and over, then realize it's []

Wasted all my ammo lol

I'm pedigreed into the R2 = Accelerate, L2 = Reverse, [] = Handbrake, X = Turbo, /\ = View, O = Look Back, for the racing genre

This is like Uncharted all over again, usually [] = Reload, but R2 is reload in that one, most shooter [] = Reload, R3 Melee, takes me a few minutes/hours for my brain to convert to Uncharted Style, then back to say a COD style lol

Also gonna harp on the goddamn to many buttons, good lord, this will take an investment of time to get all the cobwebs/kinks out, practice will be necessary

Only got into 2 deathmatches, had a blast, LOL'ed hard when a semi rammed the ever living shit out of a heli going for a health pick up, I was like good god, Massacred

Araxen

Banned
I'm still not digging the controls. Race Controls are more to my speed, but they're still cumbersome. It feels to me like they just mapped buttons because they were there and not because it's elegant design.

Ideally I'd prefer:

L2 brake.
Hold L2 to reverse.
L2x2 Reverse Turbo.
R2 to accelerate.

I am trying to think of how to handle the E Brake. I was thinking the War/Starhawk control method handles it perfectly by pressing gas and brake at the same time and cutting your wheel. Although with what I proposed above, I'm not sure if that would further complicate matters. Or just put E Brake on R3, not exactly elegant.

Face symbol buttons could then be mapped to handle the special moves (freeze/mine/shield/I forget the fourth).

I hear you man. The controls are just brutal for me too. I can't get into the game because of it. Why there aren't customizable controls in this game is retarded.

Hi2u

Banned
The irony here is that TM was basically the original dudebro game. And I mean that in the best possible way.

I liked TMB it looked great too at 60fps. I used to play split screen. I just don't know if there's a market for car combat now though, mostly because of CoD. I don't see it making npd's for example. Most ps3 only titles never seem to sell as well as they hoped, which is why I was saying it should be multi (but in this case it can't).

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Yeah I'm rusty as fuck >_<

I was like why am I not moving... pressing R2 over and over, then realize it's []

Wasted all my ammo lol

I'm pedigreed into the R2 = Accelerate, L2 = Reverse, [] = Handbrake, X = Turbo, /\ = View, O = Look Back, for the racing genre

This is like Uncharted all over again, usually [] = Reload, but R2 is reload in that one, most shooter [] = Reload, R3 Melee, takes me a few hours for the brain to convert to Uncharted Style, then back to say a COD style lol

Also gonna harp on the goddamn to many buttons, good lord, this will take an investment of time to get all the cobwebs/kinks out, practice will be necessary

Only got into 2 deathmatches, had a blast, LOL'ed hard when a semi rammed the ever living shit out of a heli going for a health pick up, I was like good god, Massacred

switch to racing style controls in the options

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Damn should have checked =/

I was trying to re-learn it, but the f'n genre has brainwashed me into it

Once the servers stabilize, hopefully I can try out the different options

Can't believe as earlier post pointed out no custom option for the button situation... come on!

Ideally I'd prefer:

L2 brake.
Hold L2 to reverse.
L2x2 Reverse Turbo.
R2 to accelerate.

This is exactly what I thought when I first saw the mapping and played a couple games. It just doesn't seem natural. I'll switch over to racing and see if that seems any better.

RagnarokX

Damn should have checked =/

I was trying to re-learn it, but the f'n genre has brainwashed me into it

Once the servers stabilize, hopefully I can try out the different options

Can't believe as earlier post pointed out no custom option for the button situation... come on!

do it in single player practice. I prefer default, though

Alex

I still can't try online, lame! I'll try again once they've done that upcoming PSN maintenance or whatever

Perhaps it's because I played the older games but I really enjoy the Square to accelerate and Cross for E brake, and it's easy since your thumb goes over both buttons. It may not conform to modern game designs but it feels soooooo right.

Flunkie

Banned
Keep having multiplayer sessions dropped or can't join games.. but what I've played so far is fantastic. So excited that TM is back. I suck so bad, but I enjoy it casually.

Question: will the final game have 4-player splitscreen with bots and/or online?

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
ps. so glad you are digging it! THANKS FROM ALL OF US! :)

Hey Jaffe, I'm really loving the demo - congrats! Can't wait to pick it up on the 14th.

Have to admit that early on I was disappointed to hear about so many characters being removed from single player. I'm one of those guys that does enjoy story in games, and honestly Twisted Metal was one of the only games that offer that type of character selection where I wanted to play through and see how things worked out for all of them. That being said, I'm really interested to see how things turned out with the increased focus on less characters and the new intertwined stories.

I'm also thought it was curious how you described the vehicles as characters. When I was playing MP last night, it dawned on me that the one thing that felt off was the lack of those really unique audio queues that each vehicle had when firing their special weapon. If the vehicles are thought of as characters on their own, it'd be great to get some of those back. I can still remember pretty much all of them from TM1 and 2, and it was helpful in combat as well when you'd hear them go off and immediately know who was nearby.

Quick question: Is "Droptest - I'll Start a War" in the full soundtrack? It was badass in one of the early trailers!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I liked TMB it looked great too at 60fps. I used to play split screen. I just don't know if there's a market for car combat now though, mostly because of CoD. I don't see it making npd's for example. Most ps3 only titles never seem to sell as well as they hoped, which is why I was saying it should be multi (but in this case it can't).
That's a valid concern, but TM is an important historic franchise for Sony. LTD sales are in the 6+ million range. Big names can still sell in declining genres. Civilization, Starcraft and Final Fantasy are good examples.

So I think TM can still top 1 mil, but I wouldn't say that about just any car combat title.

Dresden

Love the sense of scale, the speed, and the destruction but holy fucksnipes do I hate the controls. Will the game ever have customizable setups? Or am I missing something in the options?

Top Bottom