• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance |OT| of Fate

9qi7I.jpg

Debut Trailer

General Information
Developer: Vince "Twelve" Wesselmann
Publisher: Wadjet Eye Games
Platform: PC
Release date: June 19th 2012
Demo

Purchase
Collector's boxed edition directly from Wadjet Eye Games, comes with Steam key.
Digital version also from Wadjet Eye Games, also comes with Steam key.
GOG, comes with extras such as wallpaper, soundtrack, and more.
Steam

About
When a brilliant particle physicist dies unexpectedly, the race is on to secure his terrible new technology before it falls into the wrong hands. The lives of four playable characters become entangled as they fight against the clock to find the dead scientist’s secret vault.

The suspicions they harbor, the memories they guard, the connections they share - all will converge as these four ordinary people work together to prevent a potentially cataclysmic disaster.

Features
  • Voiceover work featuring fan-favorite Logan Cunningham (Bastion)
  • Four simultaneously playable characters
  • A twisting, riveting storyline influenced by player decisions
  • Long and short term memory system - ask anybody about anything in the game!
  • Over ten hours of gameplay!

Reviews
Adventure Gamers 4 1/2 stars
Indie Game Bundles 9/10
Strategy Informer 7.0/10
The Gaming Fix 8/10
Wot I Think on Rock, Paper, Shotgun.
Giant Bomb Quick Look

Other Stuff
Vince Wesselmann interview
Podcast featuring an interview of Vince Wesselmann (link is a direct download of MP3)
Logan Cunningham interview
The Weekly Geek: Anna From "Resonance"

Will add reviews and probably some screenshots eventually. If anyone else has suggestions feel free to tell me what to add.

Thanks to Relaxed Muscle for subtitle idea.

I just recently played Gemini Rue and it was very totally great.

Blackwell? That one any good also? I kind of love those guys at the moment so more stuff from them would be great.

There's four Blackwell games and I've played the first three which were all good, though on the short side. Haven't played Deception yet, which is the fourth game. I recall reading it's longer.

Didn't know Logan Cunningham was doing voice-work of this, what's his role?

I don't know what character but I read this in the comments section of a Rock, Paper, Shotgun article about him:

Kid does fine. Not as memorable a character as Rucks, but he’s good in the role.

19/06/2012 at 17:07 povu says:

I played the demo, he sounded pretty good there. He used a very similar voice to his Rucks in Bastion which is a little weird at the start, but you get used to it. It’s a good voice and it fits.

I'll add a link to it.

Jasoneyu

Any way to transfer your saves from the demo to the full game. I made some progress of the demo that I do not want to repeat. Is it just as simple as moving the save files over?

Wait...Wadjet...that's the Gemini Rue people?
Wadjet Eye is the publisher for both games (and also supported them during their late production phases), but the authors are different.

I think Resonance is even better than Gemini Rue: the puzzle are more varied and there are some nice surprises here and there. The story is intriguing (even though it has its share of plot holes near the end), while the characters are a little flat and cliché-y but still interesting enough to care about them. It's also a pretty long game (8-10 hours) and it has some replayabilty, thanks to some random elements in puzzles, a maximum score that is virtually impossible to reach during the first walkthrough, more than 25 achievements to get and a commentary mode that would be pretty silly to activate during your first play (it doesn't really spoil the game, but it breaks the flow).

Bebpo

Banned
Can't wait to get home from work and dig into this. Really liked the first 30 mins or so. Voice acting seemed really good.

Plot premise reminds me of Jane Jenson's Dante's Equation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dante's_Equation), which was a story about 4 different people chasing after a mathematical equation that could bring about the end of the world and you have different viewpoints of people after it for different reasons and they cross paths and intertwine.

nice will be a must get since i digged Gemini Rue... although part of why was probably the great cyberpunk/noir atmosphere, but anyways...

The Blackwell games look appealing to me as well, gotta give em a shot!

The Blackwell games look appealing to me as well, gotta give em a shot!

IMO, the Blackwell games are a couple of steps lower than Gemini Rue and Resonance, quality-wise. But there are many that prefer them to Gemini Rue, so I don't know...
I think there is some nice potential in BW games, but they fail to convey it due to some issues in various areas (technical, narrative, puzzles...).

Waiting for Steam to finish downloading so I can play. Before I started the download it showed the size as a little over a gigabyte but the actual download is under 500MB. Odd.

Fjordson

Just found out that the narrator from Bastion plays the detective character in this. That's great, had no idea it was him.

RPGCrazied

No video options at all? Not even change resolution? The demo plays in a box with black boarders, and screen tearing too.

Fjordson

No video options at all? Not even change resolution? The demo plays in a box with black boarders, and screen tearing too.
There are some options, but it's a little thing that you open up separate from the game. I clicked on the demo in my start menu when I first went to try it and within that folder there was a separate item for the options.

Ah man it's all coming together already and I have only just got to the title screen!
Very nicely done so far and the voice work has actually been solid all round, very nice production values all round. Steam has tracked my time and says I have only played 11 minutes, yeah right more like an hour.
Cannot wait to play some more tomorrow.

Yeah, he sounds great.

Has anyone bought this directly from Wadjet Eye's site? And if so, do you get the soundtrack? Would be cool to get it from there since you get a Steam activation key, but I might just go with GOG.com for the OST.

Edit: Another review I just saw = http://gaming.thedigitalfix.com/content/id/965/resonance.html

I bought the digital version off the site and no soundtrack that I saw. I'll add the review in a bit, thanks.

If you're playing through Steam, add -windowed to the launch options. If not on Steam I'm sure it works by adding it to the end of the executable path.

Edit: Nevermind, Fjordson is right about the config tool in the games folder.

Resonance |OT| of Fate

Hah, I like it.

megalowho

Looking forward to seeing how this turned out, doesn't really grab me but always interested in what Wadjet Eye puts out.

Just bought from their site directly, unlocked on Steam no problem but doesn't seem like there's a link to the soundtrack itself, just installation files.

Coop

Played for about two hours and really enjoyed it. But I want to punch whoever designed the
vent dream sequence. yuck, at least i got an achievement.

and yes i know you could have quit at anytime but I wanted to unlock all the dreams

RetroMG

It's funny, a few nights ago I saw this in the point and click thread and thought, "I need to buy this as soon as it comes out," but I just saw the OT and thought, "What the hell is Resonance?"

Anyway, I'm in. My wife loves point and click games and has been itching for a new one for us to play together.

pa22word

I really dug Gemini Rue so I went ahead and picked it up. Played a bit of it, and the dialog/va doesn't seem to be up to the standards Gemini Rue set. Too early to comment on the puzzles or gameplay in general though.

Well I finished it tonight. Despite what Steam says (4.5 hours) it took me a little over 8 hours I'd say. I ended with 335 points out of 340. Overall I really enjoyed it. Interesting story, decent puzzles, the voice acting was fine for the most part but there was some I skipped through because it just wasn't good. I'll play it again to see the other ending and to hear the commentary.

You can't actually change the resolution but you can play it in windowed mode, which is probably the best choice given how large monitors are these days. Go to your Resonance installation folder and run the winsetup.exe. That will let you choose whether to run fullscreen or windowed and the dropdown for graphics filter will let you choose the size of the window.

Well I finished it tonight. Despite what Steam says (4.5 hours) it took me a little over 8 hours I'd say. I ended with 335 points out of 340. Overall I really enjoyed it. Interesting story, decent puzzles, the voice acting was fine for the most part but there was some I skipped through because it just wasn't good. I'll play it again to see the other ending and to hear the commentary.

I don't know where Steam took that estimate; it's really unlikely you'll be able to get to the end in under 6 hours on your first try.

It's not really necessary to replay the game to see the other ending, but since you're going to listen to the commentary, I suppose it doesn't matter. By the way: in the commentary mode there are only bloopers, or there's also a real commentary?

About the plot (end game spoiler!!!):
It's just me, or it's very unlikely that Ed could reach Anna's station in the time between him calling Dr. Morales and the Resonance explosion? Since it's one of the plot's focal points, it just feels odd.

And for those who read or will read the Strategy Informer review (which is pretty spoilerish), don't be misguided by this "That section was incredibly tedious and the second I discovered that I had to skip it (otherwise it just loops) I was out of there in a shot." That's simply not true, since you can get out without skipping it. (And Resonance worse than The Blackwell Deception? I can't say I agree).

I'm really loving this so far. I loved Gemini Rue and I've been looking forward to playing The Shivah and the Blackwell games, but I got the e-mail from Wadjet last night and $10 seemed just right. I've only played up to the late title card so far (Steam says 75 minutes), but I've already seen some excellent puzzles and I really like what I've seen of the story.

I don't know where Steam took that estimate; it's really unlikely you'll be able to get to the end in under 6 hours on your first try.

It's not really necessary to replay the game to see the other ending, but since you're going to listen to the commentary, I suppose it doesn't matter. By the way: in the commentary mode there are only bloopers, or there's also a real commentary?

About the plot (end game spoiler!!!):
It's just me, or it's very unlikely that Ed could reach Anna's station in the time between him calling Dr. Morales and the Resonance explosion? Since it's one of the plot's focal points, it just feels odd.

And for those who read or will read the Strategy Informer review (which is pretty spoilerish), don't be misguided by this "That section was incredibly tedious and the second I discovered that I had to skip it (otherwise it just loops) I was out of there in a shot." That's simply not true, since you can get out without skipping it. (And Resonance worse than The Blackwell Deception? I can't say I agree).

Yeah, I don't know what's going on with Steam's playtime tracking. Most of my games show the wrong amount of time. I noticed for the first part of the game it wasn't even adding time when I'd quit. For the longest time I'd quit out of the game it and stayed at 20 minutes. Oh well.

I want to try and get all the achievements so that's motivation for at least one more playthrough. I just don't know where those other five points could be. I felt like I did everything that could have been done during a particular room.

As for your spoiler:
Do you mean when Ed originally called Morales at the beginning that was supposed to trigger the explosion, yet he was able to make it to the subway almost a half an hour later and then it finally exploded? Yeah, that didn't make sense.

About the Strategy Informer thing,
the dream sequence where you go through the mazes of ventilation shafts wasn't bad one bit
I didn't find that a problem at all. Pretty easy, actually. Plus there's an achievement for going through it fully as well as points. Oh, and I definitely don't agree about Resonance being worse than Blackwell. I'd easily rank it above the Blackwell games. Well, I haven't played Deception yet so I shouldn't comment on that.

I want to try and get all the achievements so that's motivation for at least one more playthrough. I just don't know where those other five points could be. I felt like I did everything that could have been done during a particular room.
There are a couple of optional points
right at the start: if you check the address book in Ed's phone you get 2 point. 1pt if you examine the tape on the ground.
But those are pretty easy to find, so I suppose you got them in your first playthrough.
I wasn't able to get more than 318, but I was playing a review copy and maybe there were some bugs with the counter (when the game gives you two possible solution, I did them both, so I don't think I've missed anything related to the puzzles). I'll check a walkthrough later on.

As for your spoiler:
Do you mean when Ed originally called Morales at the beginning that was supposed to trigger the explosion, yet he was able to make it to the subway almost a half an hour later and then it finally exploded? Yeah, that didn't make sense.
Well...
Ed triggered the device with a message (you can read it if you examine 14A or 14B in the last chapter) that reads something like "detonate in 15 minutes". What's odd is that Ed manages to get in the southwestern part of the city (where Anna lives) in just a few minutes, but if you look at the map, Ed's apartment is pretty far away and there are no train lines getting straight there (you would have to change at the Hospital).

About the Strategy Informer thing,
the dream sequence where you go through the mazes of ventilation shafts wasn't bad one bit
Yeah, I was pointing out that the reviewer says you have to quit that sequence in order to pass it (or it will just loop), which is just not true.

There are a couple of optional points
right at the start: if you check the address book in Ed's phone you get 2 point. 1pt if you examine the tape on the ground.
But those are pretty easy to find, so I suppose you got them in your first playthrough.
I wasn't able to get more than 318, but I was playing a review copy and maybe there were some bugs with the counter (when the game gives you two possible solution, I did them both, so I don't think I've missed anything related to the puzzles). I'll check a walkthrough later on.

Yeah, I found both of those. I may just use a walkthrough during my next time through to insure I don't miss any points.

Well...
Ed triggered the device with a message (you can read it if you examine 14A or 14B in the last chapter) that reads something like "detonate in 15 minutes". What's odd is that Ed manages to get in the southwestern part of the city (where Anna lives) in just a few minutes, but if you look at the map, Ed's apartment is pretty far away and there are no train lines getting straight there (you would have to change at the Hospital).

Maybe a resonance blast propelled him over there. :p

Yeah, I was pointing out that the reviewer says you have to quit that sequence in order to pass it (or it will just loop), which is just not true.

Oh, I see. I figured there were probably points and even an achievement tied to it so I made sure to check every bit of it I could.

Top Bottom