• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every button feels much better too, baxy, lr, dpad, even the slide pad.

Does the 3D have a narrower sweet spot?

Less give for the user, before distortion appears? Does the screen have as much crosstalk/ghosting? (where images seem double, or out of sync when the slider is up?)

It's the discussion of the 3D that interests me most, I usually will play my 3DS at 3/4 up or full 3D. If it seems easier to lose the seet spot, or ghosting/double images are more pronounced, then color me disappointed.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't kept up with the XL in a couple of weeks. Has there been any information about the units with the yellow screen tint? Is it a defect, glue that hasn't dried yet, etc?

Image reference
84b834b8.jpg

O0PI

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Haven't kept up with the XL in a couple of weeks. Has there been any information about the units with the yellow screen tint? Is it a defect, glue that hasn't dried yet, etc?

Image reference
They all have a warmer screen than the 3DS.

It has been mentioned a million times.

AJSousuke

They all have a warmer screen than the 3DS.

It has been mentioned a million times.

That doesn't seems warmer, it looks completely yellowish :(

mine og has a red tint, but it is not as strong the tint in that pictures.

perorist: if mine was like that, i would have returned it right away.

Far as the scratches are concerned, it shouldn't be happening at ALL after Nintendo full knew about the issue, which is why they even implemented those rubber feet on the XL to adress this particular issue!

However, they somehow forgot to actually play test this thing or to consider that people will put it into pockets...

Yes we do live in an era where hardware defects can happen, but quality overall is degrading rapidly with more mass production and cheaper parts and this is accepted generally, but in this case we are not talking about the odd outlier, the one in a million that has a certain problem, we are talking about a whole bunch of people here with the exact same issue!

Remember the Xbox 360 fiasco where people were making the same apologies? Yeah.. i myself had to send in 3 units and i personally knew 3 out of 4 people that owned one of my friends that had their's RROD to them as well. It's then you know that something is off, let's hope this thing here won't get that much out of hand though.

So far i'm good but i will make sure i won't put it into my pockets!

optimiss

I've yet to see a single person post pictures of a 3DS XL with actual scratches. There are 2 pics floating around showing a series of small dots on the screen. Is that considered scratches? How are those being made? Is it possible little pieces of sand or dust are getting in there and being compressed by the 2 screens to make the indentations? I don't see how the little dots could be made any other way considering the screen is smooth, and the edge of the bottom screen is smooth.

Any ideas? Any pics? Are we damn sure those dots weren't always there? Could it be a screen manufacturing defect? Has anyone tried removing the dots with a solvent? I know I have gotten similar dots on the glass screen of my phone that no amount of dry rubbing would remove but came right off when a liquid was used. I think there has to be more to this story...

I've yet to see a single person post pictures of a 3DS XL with actual scratches. There are 2 pics floating around showing a series of small dots on the screen. Is that considered scratches? How are those being made? Is it possible little pieces of sand or dust are getting in there and being compressed by the 2 screens to make the indentations? I don't see how the little dots could be made any other way considering the screen is smooth, and the edge of the bottom screen is smooth.

Any ideas? Any pics? Are we damn sure those dots weren't always there? Could it be a screen manufacturing defect? Has anyone tried removing the dots with a solvent? I know I have gotten similar dots on the glass screen of my phone that no amount of dry rubbing would remove but came right off when a liquid was used. I think there has to be more to this story...

I havent seen real pics yet either, mysterious

Does the 3D have a narrower sweet spot?

Less give for the user, before distortion appears? Does the screen have as much crosstalk/ghosting? (where images seem double, or out of sync when the slider is up?)

It's the discussion of the 3D that interests me most, I usually will play my 3DS at 3/4 up or full 3D. If it seems easier to lose the seet spot, or ghosting/double images are more pronounced, then color me disappointed.
I find it easier to hit the sweet spot, maybe due to size or maybe I'm imagining things. It certainly isn't worse, that's for sure. I've encountered less ghosting (tried with Pilotwings which is notorious for ghosting, at least for me) but mileage may vary and also depend on whether my eyes are tired from work. I usually play 3D on full.

Image reference
Screens are warmer. Bottom image reference has power saving enabled, in that case a white screen will look yellowish. Even at the risk of sounding like a broken record: I like the warmer screens better.

Just don't deny the serious hardware faults with the 3DS. Because I never had a hinge break, I don't deny the serious flaw of DSi systems. You might have been lucky with your 3DS and scratches, but it doesn't mean it's not a significant issue. You don't even need to experience a scratch to look at a 3DS and realise how terrible the clam shell design is with the lifted border around the touch screen.
OG 3DS was prone to scratch and you could easily see that, no denying there. 3DS XL has space between both screens, you can see it when looking at the side of the unit. Been carrying it around in my pocket since launch with screen protectors (makes scratches more apparent and the machine more prone to scratching - less space between). So far no signs of scratches for what it's worth.

They shouldn't have ditched Nintendonium.

This thing was a tank.
Mine is still trucking along.

muu

I asked a couple pages ago how people that supposedly got scratches were handling their system and got no response. From the looks of the design it seems improbable to me, really, that scratches can start occurring unless they were really rough-handling the thing. Would be nice if the folks that are having problems can chime in though, instead of just going absolute apeshit over Nintendo Fail.

Jeff-DSA

The dang thing releases while I'm up in Alaska. I really wanted to have one for the trip (lots of driving around while we're up there), but I guess I'll get down with it when I get back home. Maybe they'll have one in Kenai or Soldotna or something.

optimiss

Would be nice if the folks that are having problems can chime in though, instead of just going absolute apeshit over Nintendo Fail.

Totally. In issues like this it is always hard to tell how rampant the issue really is because the people who are most vocal are the ones with defective hardware. People with good hardware have no reason to post.

AngryMoth

First experience with a 3DS and not enjoying the 3D really, very distracting as it takes a lot of concentration just to keep the system in the right place to maintain the effect. Also feel like its giving me headaches, and when its actually working it usually feels just weird and jarring as opposed to providing a convincing 3d effect (my main complain against all forms of 3d though). I've started to just turn it off now.

Aside from that though I'm happy with the system, it feels very well designed ergonomically. Enjoying Mario and Zelda, and really appreciate the big screen.

Link83

I asked a couple pages ago how people that supposedly got scratches were handling their system and got no response. From the looks of the design it seems improbable to me, really, that scratches can start occurring unless they were really rough-handling the thing. Would be nice if the folks that are having problems can chime in though, instead of just going absolute apeshit over Nintendo Fail.
I can say that in my experience the 'dots' (Not really the same as the original 3DS's scratches, but still permanent) were present from brand new, I didnt do anything at all to cause them - as soon as I opened the system they were there.

However I imagine it would not be too difficult to make them appear by just applying a small amount of pressure to the top of the system, since thats all it took to make the screens touch on my unit.

Jeff-DSA

First experience with a 3DS and not enjoying the 3D really, very distracting as it takes a lot of concentration just to keep the system in the right place to maintain the effect. Also feel like its giving me headaches, and when its actually working it usually feels just weird and jarring as opposed to providing a convincing 3d effect (my main complain against all forms of 3d though). I've started to just turn it off now.

Aside from that though I'm happy with the system, it feels very well designed ergonomically. Enjoying Mario and Zelda, and really appreciate the big screen.

You get good at putting the machine in the sweet spot for the 3D. The first week is kind of an adjustment period, but over time you'll just snap right into the proper zone each time. Even with that, I prefer to use it very little.

I find it easier to hit the sweet spot, maybe due to size or maybe I'm imagining things. It certainly isn't worse, that's for sure. I've encountered less ghosting (tried with Pilotwings which is notorious for ghosting, at least for me) but mileage may vary and also depend on whether my eyes are tired from work. I usually play 3D on full.

Screens are warmer. Bottom image reference has power saving enabled, in that case a white screen will look yellowish. Even at the risk of sounding like a broken record: I like the warmer screens better.

OG 3DS was prone to scratch and you could easily see that, no denying there. 3DS XL has space between both screens, you can see it when looking at the side of the unit. Been carrying it around in my pocket since launch with screen protectors (makes scratches more apparent and the machine more prone to scratching - less space between). So far no signs of scratches for what it's worth.

Mine is still trucking along.

If its easier to hit/find the sweet spot (music to my ears and 20/20 eyesight), is it also easier to lose the sweet spot/narrower margin room?

^_^

Tia though :)

Damnit..just noticed a stuck/dead pixel in the middel of the screen. Wasn't there when I bought it, but suddenly appeared. Can't unsee it :/
What's Nintendo's policy on this?

Sorry to quote myself here, but I called Nintendo today and the were very kind. I can send it back and will receive a new 3DS XL. Great customerservice!!!

Esque7

1. The phat screen was rubbish, so the XL should at least look better, but might be a little smaller?

2. No. On the menus etc it can be noticeable, but in games I've not noticed it

3. No, they look FANTASTIC. Replayed some mario land 3D last night and it's glorious.

Confused by the scratching stories. Didn't the 3DS start with smudges and then progressively get worse? This seems to come on faster. It is silly that Nintendo didn't ship with a foam sheet between the screens. They could have gone further and had long raised edges either side of the top screen,not just a couple of small squashy bumps

Those of you doing DIY solutions, I guess you could out slightly larger sticky pads replacing the current ones, or put a few down either side of the top screen?

Thanks for the reply. Also, does Newegg take trade-ins? If not I'll wait for deals at retail stores.

What's the point of making a PORTABLE handheld with a clamshell design if you can't safely put it in your pocket without worrying that simply by doing that you're risking destroying your screens?
I'm not blaming the victims if that's what you think, I was just trying to find out if that really is the cause of the scratches or if they can happen from general use.

People probably don't realize how much force they generate when they walk but even if they were squeezing their 3DSes between their thighs Nintendo should have made sure that something like friction scratches weren't possible.

King_Moc

Banned
I'm finding that the sweetspot appears to be much narrower. When you tilt the 3DS slighlty, you'll see a kind of black wave go across the screen as the LCD barrier starts blocking out the wrong pixels. That seems to be much more noticeable on the XL. Also, pixel separation is very present in 3D mode, but only half as much in 2D mode. I find that games in 3D really do look very pixelly, and the lack of AA that goes along with it does not help. 2D mode is great though, as the green is extremely vibrant. I also noticed while playing Theatrhythym that there seems to be quite a bit of friction on the touch screen when using the stylus. Still very pixelly though. Strangely, i'm finding that the lower screen looks better in all respects, when on the original 3DS, i found the low DPS to be very offputting and cheap looking. If you prefer playing in 3D, i'd suggest trying one out before making a purchase. For 2D, it's probably a no brainer, unless you really, really hate the low DPI.

Misterhbk

Kingdom Hearts 3D, Radiant Historia, Final Fantasy IV, Dragon Quest IX, and Golden Sun: Dark Dawn all just came in the mail today. The wait to get started on these games is going to be cruel punishment for the next few weeks =(

So today I discovered my favourite XL feature (aside from DEM SCREENS of course) which is the new position the screen locks into.
When on a train journey earlier this screen position combined with the very effective lack of reflection / glare on the new screens made this a joy to use outside.
Yes the 3DS. A joy to use. Outside.
Can't quite believe it myself either.

Oh! There's no longer a secret 'ultra-bright' mode when you play whilst using an AC adapter :'(

MarkusRJR

So today I discovered my favourite XL feature (aside from DEM SCREENS of course) which is the new position the screen locks into.
When on a train journey earlier this screen position combined with the very effective lack of reflection / glare on the new screens made this a joy to use outside.
Yes the 3DS. A joy to use. Outside.
Can't quite believe it myself either.

Oh! There's no longer a secret 'ultra-bright' mode when you play whilst using an AC adapter :'(
...What? Explain please.

liger05

I THINK the shipping label is prepaid (by Nintendo). At least, I don't remember paying anything when I sent my 3DS in.

When you go to the post office you just need to get a proof of postage as yes the shipping has already been paid by nintendo.

WowBaby

I've always wondered how this stuff works, do you have to pay for packaging and shipping?

No, they pay for everything. They sent me the shipping box too on a Wii repair and even replaced a broken lid that covered the controller ports which wasn't part of the repair request.

urfe

I'm confused about something.

With my 3DS, carrying it around with me leaves MARKS on it. These marks can be wiped off. However, I've heard that if you ignore these marks, then after time, they will become scratches. I screen my screens weekly, and have no problem.

Are people saying with the XL, that after a week they didn't get MARKS, but SCRATCHES? This would make the XL inferior to the 3DS.

So people getting scratches: are they marks or scratches? What kind of situation was the XL in to get these scratches?

I don't want to upgrade my faulty 3DS for a faulty 3DS XL, so I'm really curious. If it's looking equally faulty, then I'll keep my 3DS and save for a Vita.

You'd hope the 3DS XL would be less prone to screen problems but there's still only a finite amount of clearance so if you get enough crap in there it's going to catch and cause friction.

My 3DS XL was literally defective out of the box (faulty speakers) and my replacement hasn't arrived yet. Very frustrating.

I'm not blaming the victims if that's what you think, I was just trying to find out if that really is the cause of the scratches or if they can happen from general use.

People probably don't realize how much force they generate when they walk but even if they were squeezing their 3DSes between their thighs Nintendo should have made sure that something like friction scratches weren't possible.

Didn't mean to imply that you were blaming the user. But we definitely have people in the thread who are blaming the consumer for using it as it was designed.

So people getting scratches: are they marks or scratches? What kind of situation was the XL in to get these scratches?

The people that have the issue indicated that they're scratches. They can't be removed by wiping them with a cloth.

Gunsmithx

Any places in the US offering trade-in deals for the 3DS to 3DSXL?

I called my local Gamestop but the clerk didn't understand what I was asking.

don't think anything has been announced yet but I figure we'll hear something in the next week or so as it's almost launch time. I"m curious what kind of trade in offered people will give, esp. since I want to transfer my 3ds too.

tpax

Banned
Got my XL yesterday directly with SM3DL, didn't had a 3DS before. I am so impressed by that thing, right at the moment I can't imagine playing something else than a 3DS XL, hadn't had so much fun in years.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Got my XL yesterday directly with SM3DL, didn't had a 3DS before. I am so impressed by that thing, right at the moment I can't imagine playing something else than a 3DS XL, hadn't had so much fun in years.
Mario Land is awesome, first Mario I've enjoyed so much since SMB3.

Get Mario Kart on the XL, it's surprisingly super impressive graphically and the online code is almost perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom