• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Xux

Yesterday a strange glitch happened to me during server-chocking period.

I went into Create a Class and was grated with 17 slots for equipment loadout. 17.

I thought it was something that unlocked for me with ranking, so I didn't actually took any pictures. I made a 17-items classes and went over to join friends. Once I did, my classes went back to usual 10, and I had "17/10" displayed with red lettering.

Strange.

Is it even possible to obtain more slots for equipment then 10 through gameplay?
It's a custom games option. I've been put in Custom Game lobbies every few tries after I could connect to public matches on PS3.

I feel like I have the same ups and downs as I always do with these games. Some pretty shitty games and some really good games. No clue if I'm actually good or if it's a shifting tide of having the lag on my side or getting to complacent with my aim or whatever.

The PS3 version is a disaster and riddled with issues:

-Absolutely disgusting sub-HD resolution. You can't even make player models out and are essentially shooting at blobs.
-Constant freezing
-Lobby won't start games - says it's looking for more players to balance the teams, even though there's a total of 12/12 players...
-Certain modes won't play at all and kick you back to the multiplayer landing screen

Is anyone experiencing these issues on 360 or PC? I checked the official blops 2 forums and find it somewhat hilarious the PS3 board is filled with nothing but topics about issues with the game, while the 360 version doesn't have a single topic on the page about technical issues with the game. There's no fucking way Treyarch did proper QA with the PS3 version.

I found MW3 to be so-so, but Back Ops 2 really makes me appreciate what Infinity Ward (what was left of them) did with the last title. At least both fucking version of the game sported a 1024x600 resolution. Honestly, how in the fuck is this acceptable:

APdcv.jpg

HiiiLife

How do they do it? Lmao. C'mon now Treyarch.

I feel bad for PS3 users. If I'm not enjoying it on Xbox, I can only imagine the frustration you guys are going through.

*bro hug*

My ass hurts for being such a fool each time. I haven't enjoyed a CoD game since MW2. Don't get me wrong. Each game since then has had quite a few fun moments online.. But nothing comparable to back then.

And you know what? I'm gonna get suckered into it next year. AGAIN.

*sigh*

Acinixys

Can I just say if you are running a knife class and I shoot you with a shotty front on, even if it doesn't kill you, you shouldn't be able to just keep sprinting and warp in for a 1hk stab. I got no problems with 'knife' class but it should only 1hk from behind. The game desperately needs to fix the stagger effect from shotguns to stop the knife spam imo.

The 870 needs to be able to override its reload animation. Ive been knifed countless times because you cant shoot while reloading, so i just watch some fool run at me from 1km away with a knife and kill me

HiiiLife

And also what's up with the knife? Either lunge or don't lunge Treyarch. I just love getting screwed over when I try to knife someone, knowing damn well he's in range, only to miss and have him lunge a few feet toward me with his knife.

I feel like I'm the only player affected when 3arc said they toned the knife lunge down. Lol.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
God, it happened again...

I was doing really well and then I got into a game where every time I tried to shoot someone I'd get hit markers and yet the person I was shooting would shrug it off and kill me in one shot. And then the killcams would show I was just standing there. Everyone on the other team had 2 or 3 bars. I had four. The fucking lag compensation is bullshit, I'm fucking pissed.

This this this this fuck this game.

Bwahahahaha!

I thought it was just me! The same thing is happening to me often. I swear I shoot first and then the kill cam makes me look like a effin nooblet.

Good to know it isn't just me, I feel like it is getting worse, what was someone coming around a corner a few seconds faster than what I was seeing is now me standing there looking like I'm twiddling my thumbs and letting people kill me while I stare into the distance.

Whatever lag compensation they have going on behind the scenes is starting to get stupid, I shouldn't be able to feel when I get stuck as host when the lag comp seemingly goes into overdrive.

And also what's up with the knife? Either lunge or don't lunge Treyarch. I just love getting screwed over when I try to knife someone, knowing damn well he's in range, only to miss and have him lunge a few feet toward me with his knife.

I feel like I'm the only player affected when 3arc said they toned the knife lunge down. Lol.

It is pretty annoying, pulling a random percentage out my arse I would say 95% of the time if I try to knife I will some how miss, some times going on multiple stabs in a row, but the other guy will turn around and get me their first time.

Then there's that 5% where I seem to lunge slightly like before and actually hit what I was aiming for, pain in the ass.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com

I feel bad for PS3 users. If I'm not enjoying it on Xbox, I can only imagine the frustration you guys are going through.

*bro hug*

My ass hurts for being such a fool each time. I haven't enjoyed a CoD game since MW2. Don't get me wrong. Each game since then has had quite a few fun moments online.. But nothing comparable to back then.

*sigh*

Not me, though. I mean, I have Black Ops 2 now since Warfighter wasn't that good. But I can tell I'll be playing Black Ops 2 MP, Warfighter MP and most of all BF3 MP. So, I'm good.

For next year, BF4 will be it. I took that route last year with BF3, and things worked out fine. Next year will be BF4 year for me.

Fuck! I've experienced this a ton! I like that they shortened the range, but I've knifed someone countless times for it to not register. Seems like knife is an issue now. I've done it one time with someone turning their back on me. I ran up, knifed, and nothing happened. I just shot the fool instead.

nOoblet16

-Absolutely disgusting sub-HD resolution. You can't even make player models out and are essentially shooting at blobs.
-Constant freezing
-Lobby won't start games - says it's looking for more players to balance the teams, even though there's a total of 12/12 players...
-Certain modes won't play at all and kick you back to the multiplayer landing screen

Is anyone experiencing these issues on 360 or PC? I checked the official blops 2 forums and find it somewhat hilarious the PS3 board is filled with nothing but topics about issues with the game, while the 360 version doesn't have a single topic on the page about technical issues with the game. There's no fucking way Treyarch did proper QA with the PS3 version.

I found MW3 to be so-so, but Back Ops 2 really makes me appreciate what Infinity Ward (what was left of them) did with the last title. At least both fucking version of the game sported a 1024x600 resolution. Honestly, how in the fuck is this acceptable:
Game runs at a higher res than 1024*600 on both consoles.

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
As an Assault run and gunner I find this game incredibly frustrating and inconsistent.

I came off MW3 with a 3.1 k/d and used the TYPE95 (burst) until I unlocked the MK14 (single shot). These guns would kill in about 1-2 bursts and I could handle myself fine running up close. If I missed a shot I'd be screwed but that was the penalty for using an Assault burst.
In Black Ops 2 it seems it takes at least 3 bursts and you can't kill in time before you get taken out by a SMG user. I've tried taking it slow instead of running around but in situations where I look around a corner and a player is rushing, I'll manage to hit him with 2 bursts before he kills me instantly.
It feels pretty inconsistent as sometimes I'd get the kill but I can never be guaranteed.

Playing with a group of friends I don't think I've ever heard as much 'BUT I SHOT HIM!! BS!' over a game.

The other thing is the change to 'Ghost', making it a level 55 unlock. What a dumb design decision to apparently stop campers.
I would use this combined with silencer to run around and flank players. The moment the enemy UAV is inbound I have to stop running and set up somewhere. The enemy would just wait for me to run into them otherwise.
The fact I can't hide from the UAV now is just another factor to why I'm finding the game frustrating.

dark_chris

Gold Member
Been playing story mode. So far, I like. Also, its kinda crazy that
Reznov
has been in every Treyarch Call of Duty game since World at War. I think hes a pretty cool character.

Acinixys

Prestiged my 870; miss the Long Barrell already, lol. QBB's also a pretty sexy gun though it's annoying having to grind for Quickdraw on the LMGs.

Can someone please explain gun prestige to me? Theres a challenge unlock that unlocks when you hit max prestige for a weapon, but ive unlocked EVERYTHING for my 870 (barring the gold camo), and its still locked?

In relation to the UAV rage, i think its a bit OP that it shows the ENTIRE MAP. It should only show 1/4 or 1/2. Even 3/4 would be better than the entire map

Fistwell

Like really man. With all the complains floating around, it's like we're playing a whole different game...
lol yeah. More power to us, we get to have all the fun.

The only maps I'm not too fond of are slum and karma. I don't hate them. I just don't like those two as much as the others.
I don't mind slums so much, although I'm not particularly fond of it either. Karma I kinda don't like if that's the one I think it is (with a nightclub in it, garish, flashy neon colors?).

vaseline filters
Somebody needs to trademark that shit.

NBtoaster

PS3 is 880*720 with post process AA, 360 is apparently 960*720 or the same res but with 2*MSAA....both are higher res than 1024*600. And having a higher vertical res means it's good for detail in distance.

The post processing resembles old vaseline filters that were used in shitty ports before FXAA was invented.

Rainy Dog

I found MW3 to be so-so, but Back Ops 2 really makes me appreciate what Infinity Ward (what was left of them) did with the last title. At least both fucking version of the game sported a 1024x600 resolution.

Trying forcing your PS3 to output 720p in the XMB by unticking 1080i/p. It's not a magical cure, but does eleviate some of the softness caused by the PS3's poor scaling exasperating the blurriness when upscaling to 1080p. Also, decrease the in game brightness setting to correct the gamma.

On the topic of resolution, seems both versions are pretty much on par in that respect according the pixel counters at Beyond3D. So must be the horrible post AA solution/blur filter that they're using which causes the severe softness. Hopefully they can and care enough to try and patch it and/or offer an option to disable AA like BF3 if enough folk complain.

Also explains why the game looks better when output at 720p as the PS3 is then only scaling horizontally...

PS3 is 880*720 with post process AA, 360 is 960*720 with 2*MSAA....both are higher res than 1024*600. And having a higher vertical res means it's good for distance.

According to DF, 360 is 880x720 (PS3 still unknown, I believe) from the E3 version. Their Face Off for BO2 should be available Friday.

Rainy Dog

PS3 is 880*720 with post process AA, 360 is apparently 960*720 or the same res but with 2*MSAA....both are higher res than 1024*600. And having a higher vertical res means it's good for detail in distance.

Or it would be if they didn't force shitty 1080p upscaling and use a terrible blur filter as an substitute for AA.

The IQ of the PS3 MW games at 1024x600 with 2xMSAA is much cleaner and sharper than the PS3 version of BO2.

I love this game so far.my main complaint is that there aren't enough vertical places to snipe from on these maps.other than that that I'm having a wonderful experience on 360

sp3ctr3

Fuck! I've experienced this a ton! I like that they shortened the range, but I've knifed someone countless times for it to not register. Seems like knife is an issue now. I've done it one time with someone turning their back on me. I ran up, knifed, and nothing happened. I just shot the fool instead.

Yeah, the knife range is my only real issue right now. So unreliable...

mxgt

Banned
The fact I can't hide from the UAV now is just another factor to why I'm finding the game frustrating.

How about try using a launcher?

I always carry one and shoot down UAVs as soon as they're up. Very rarely do I get killed before I get the shot off.

Kydd BlaZe

How about try using a launcher?

I always carry one and shoot down UAVs as soon as they're up. Very rarely do I get killed before I get the shot off.
Lol, with the way the UAV's are spammed in this game, it wouldn't matter if you take one out. Another one will be up in the air literally a second later. Half the time I attempt to take them out, there always seems to be at least two up in the air at a time.

I really hate the fact that Ghost is a level 55 unlock. Fucking ridiculous.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Match making was driving me nuts tonight on 360. Why does it put you in custom games when you pick public/core? Is that a bug or is this something normal that I'm not understanding?

Also took forever to find games. I finally had enough and just stopped trying and went to start the campaign.

Kyoufu

Lol, with the way the UAV's are spammed in this game, it wouldn't matter if you take one out. Another one will be up in the air literally a second later. Half the time I attempt to take them out, there always seems to be at least two up in the air at a time.

But it's not. It's available on the default SMG class.

*bro hug*

*sigh*

Why do it to yourself? I tried the first BO and hated it and heard MW3 wad dog shit so I didn't bother. It's funny how the PS3 version of MW2 probably shits on the PS3 versions of BO 1&2 and MW3.

demolitio

I'm a little disappointed at how much faster this is than Black Ops 1 and how useless assault rifles are compared to SMG's that you can fire from the hip and kill them before they get more than 2 shots off thanks to your fire rate. Combine that with the maps that focus on close quarters and not many situations where range is an issue for SMG's and you get a game riddled with MP7's and Kriss's.

I like a lot of things, but I really don't think they thought SMG's through very much. There's always been amazing SMG's in COD games but rifles were still very popular and served a purpose whereas I see more SMG's in BO2 than any other COD yet. It's not just one SMG like the UMP or the AKS-74u, but the class itself.

Exactly why I roll with only a primary instead of carrying a secondary launcher.

This game sounds like a miserable pile of shit; especially the part about Ghost being unlocked at lvl 55, and it also being rendered useless by you having to constantly run around like a fucking idiot for it to work.

Guess I'll buy Halo 4 instead.

Ardenyal

Free xp just dangling in the air like that and people ignore it. It's 175xp total for each downed UAV.

mxgt

Banned

Except this isn't true. I take out an average of 4-5 UAV's a game, if that.

I can't help but laugh at the people that were so reliant on Ghost. I weep for you, truly.

SteveWD40

I'm a little disappointed at how much faster this is than Black Ops 1 and how useless assault rifles are compared to SMG's that you can fire from the hip and kill them before they get more than 2 shots off thanks to your fire rate. Combine that with the maps that focus on close quarters and not many situations where range is an issue for SMG's and you get a game riddled with MP7's and Kriss's.

I like a lot of things, but I really don't think they thought SMG's through very much. There's always been amazing SMG's in COD games but rifles were still very popular and served a purpose whereas I see more SMG's in BO2 than any other COD yet. It's not just one SMG like the UMP or the AKS-74u, but the class itself.

Hell in COD4, my best guns were the RPD, M4A1 and the M14, SMG's were just for certain maps usually.

madmackem

Yup, happens to me aswell.

The most infuriating thing is when someone just pops around a corner and one shots you, all in a fraction of a second. Then on kill cam you see he had ample time to line up the shot, except his position updates maybe once a second so the view just warps around.

My connection, for reference:
2308867258.png

With a connection like that id be super pissed if i was getting lag in any game ever, im pissed i see it with a 80/20 line.

aku:jiki

is it just me or do we have the exact same complaints (by different/the same people) with every new cod release?!
Might be because the last three CoD's have the "new" netcode which fucking sucks and causes these issues? When MW2 came out, there really weren't many complaints until people found the OMA noobtube thing.

jns

With a connection like that id be super pissed if i was getting lag in any game ever, im pissed i see it with a 80/20 line.

download and upload speed aren't the biggest factor when it comes to lag; It's all about the latency between your computer and the server or host. A lower ping is much better to have than faster download and upload speed. Most games use just a fraction of bandwidth for even regular connections so the quality of your connection is much more important. Just fyi.

demolitio

Hell in COD4, my best guns were the RPD, M4A1 and the M14, SMG's were just for certain maps usually.

Exactly. Everyone had their own favorite weapons in that game and SMG's were good in certain roles just like other weapon classes were really good for certain playstyles, but now SMG's are all people need and my friend is loving it. He doesn't use any other gun because he never has to since his MP7 and laser sight own anything in his way without even needing to aim. The only problem area really is a few spots where snipers have the advantage which makes sense, but assault rifles still really serve no purpose since there's no middle ground. Sure, SMG range is lower, but how often are engagements at that range? Almost none. Almost everything is up close and having a gun where you don't even need to aim down sights and you're sure to have the fastest fire rate means an easy win.

As far as weapon balance goes, I rarely get annoyed at these things and akimbo FMG9's have been the only other thing in COD games to annoy me but they knew that was a problem. This basically makes an entire class have no identity at all when assault rifles should be pretty common to see in a match.

I want equal rights for assault rifles. I'm going on a hunger strike for 10 hours because of this shit. Well, that's because I'm going to sleep, but still!

NBtoaster

Some parts of this game are fairly pretty. They opened on a really ugly level, and the voliage is always bad, but the city environments have some good detail. The pc bokeh is really nice.

Top Bottom