• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orcs Must Die! 2 |OT| WHY IS THERE NO OT FOR THIS?

Therion

Oh wow, it looks like they deleted all the cheaters from the leaderboards. I am now ranked #2 on The Edge. That is pretty cool.

Edit: Damn, also #2 on the second level. Awesome.

Ceebs

I have not really played since the patch. Kinda bummed all my scores are lower than they should be due to that Grinder bug.

Therion

how were people even cheating???
I don't think the steam leaderboards do anything to verify scores on the server side, so spoofing a game, using a hacked client, or with a memory editor are the ways people submit fake scores to most games.

The people who had fake scores removed were also banned from future postings to the leaderboards, but I'm already seeing new fakes popping up. Hopefully Robot can keep up with them a bit better than they did before.

ZenaxPure

Alienware skin is a tad disappointing, mostly because on the War Mage it's a skin for his miner outfit... which I absolutely hate :p. Always thought the outfit made him look really bulky for no reason. Either way, still cool to have it!

I've been trying to finish up achievements in the game lately. Just got 5 skulls on Crunch, only the final level to go (which is easy, but I have problems beating the timer). It's pretty funny how absolutely easy Crunch is when you have access to every trap (worth owning) and are all fully upgraded. The last break before the final waves was hilarious, had almost 15k coins to spend thanks to the coin trinket. Some of the waves in Crunch are long enough to use that trinket twice.

I am thinking about playing through the game as the Sorceress soon since out of my almost 40 hours I have not even touched her once. Man, <3 this game so much, so much replayability. Up there for my GOTY so far easily.

Caerith

So, Twisted Halls. It's really a shame that you can't use barricades on the lower level here, like to force the kobold/elemental door to go through the narrow tunnel and all the way around instead. Am I missing something? I'd really like to route the waves through the narrow tunnel of grinders.

And, you know, I'm still pretty early-ish in the game, still struggling with War Mage difficulty, but wouldn't mind trying some co-op. Add me if you'd like, I'll be going back through this thread to add people once I reach Nightmare and feel semi-confident in my skills.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/caerith

Tar, you guys. Holy crap. Should've used it sooner.

So, Twisted Halls. It's really a shame that you can't use barricades on the lower level here, like to force the kobold/elemental door to go through the narrow tunnel and all the way around instead. Am I missing something? I'd really like to route the waves through the narrow tunnel of grinders.

"I could use barricades to make the enemy take the longer path, oh whoops they got destroyed and are useless." is something I said in every other level.

Twisted Halls especially man. Routing the enemy makes way too much sense.

Caerith

"I could use barricades to make the enemy take the longer path, oh whoops they got destroyed and are useless." is something I said in every other level.

Twisted Halls especially man. Routing the enemy makes way too much sense.
It actually makes sense now that I think about it. Orcs don't change destinations, right? If you routed one door, they'd have to go all around the circle. If you routed a second door, those barricades would be in the way of the orcs coming from the first door, and your first barricades would be in the way of the orcs coming from the second door. You can route any *one* door in Twisted Halls, and all the rest you gotta deal with regularly. So either you can make one sweet-ass killbox for both doors of orcs walking in the same area at the same time, or you can slow down some kobolds and elementals.

It actually makes sense now that I think about it. Orcs don't change destinations, right? If you routed one door, they'd have to go all around the circle. If you routed a second door, those barricades would be in the way of the orcs coming from the first door, and your first barricades would be in the way of the orcs coming from the second door. You can route any *one* door in Twisted Halls, and all the rest you gotta deal with regularly. So either you can make one sweet-ass killbox for both doors of orcs walking in the same area at the same time, or you can slow down some kobolds and elementals.

Yeah, I did that. Half the orcs took the longer path, other half went to attack the barricades.

Sciz

It actually makes sense now that I think about it. Orcs don't change destinations, right?

Right. It doesn't matter if there's still an accessible rift, if you seal off the one they want to get to, they will beat a path there.

Best trap in the last game, best trap in this one. The upgrade to make it persist is especially amazing.

ZenaxPure

Yeah, I don't think it's possible to reroute the elemental door to go into the tunnel on twisted halls, the only effective barricade use I've found there is blocking the nearby underpass which forces at least 3 of the doors to pass through the opposite (of barricaded side) side of the map which makes for a very easy choke point. As for the lone door I just put brimstone everywhere and that usually gets everything, if not I walk over and take care of what's left on my own.

Only problem with that is it's fairly slow. When I did it I only got 4 skulls, missed the time one by like 3 minutes. Probably going to ditch the barricades and put tons of brimstone on both sides and call it a day.

Caerith

Yeah, I don't think it's possible to reroute the elemental door to go into the tunnel on twisted halls, the only effective barricade use I've found there is blocking the nearby underpass which forces at least 3 of the doors to pass through the opposite (of barricaded side) side of the map which makes for a very easy choke point. As for the lone door I just put brimstone everywhere and that usually gets everything, if not I walk over and take care of what's left on my own.

Only problem with that is it's fairly slow. When I did it I only got 4 skulls, missed the time one by like 3 minutes. Probably going to ditch the barricades and put tons of brimstone on both sides and call it a day.
You can reroute one elemental door, but there's really no sense in that: kobolds are harmless with brimstone or grinders up, and elementals are so slow that you really are going to miss the par if you're waiting for an earth lord in the tunnel. You get far more bang for your buck by routing both sets of orcs into a singular killbox which tends to actually be pretty buggy currently.

KarmaCow

The Bone Amulet is so good. The primary attack does good damage and knocks back smaller enemies. The secondary is good for being a not quite effective decoy. There were many times in my 5 skull clean up on War Mage that a the Bone Golem delayed and grouped enemies for my archers.

I just finished up 5 skulling the maps on War Mage and I'm kinda worried about Nightmare. I want to do it solo but it seems like a lot of the maps are really designed around having a person cover the other path.

Also does anyone find it pretty lame that there are next to no graphical options? The first game was the same and I'm not having trouble running it but I thought there would be more for a PC only sequel.

Sciz

I just finished up 5 skulling the maps on War Mage and I'm kinda worried about Nightmare. I want to do it solo but it seems like a lot of the maps are really designed around having a person cover the other path.

There's a lot of running back and forth involved. Some maps you can reroute one set of orcs into your killbox for the other set, other times you just have to build one path into a corridor of death early on and handle the other one manually until you get the cash. They're all possible, though.

I will be adding you on Steam.

I need more co-op partners anyway.

edit: Finished five-skulling all the story and classic maps on Nightmare. Not much harder than clearing them at all, really. Now to clean up Endless. And then finally try the sorceress.

Therion

Weekly Challenges Start This Friday
Robot Entertainment has announced a new Weekly Challenge game mode will begin to test War Mages’ abilities later this week! Beginning this Friday and refreshing every Friday following, Orcs Must Die! 2 will issue a brand new challenge to players. Each challenge is playable in single-player or co-op and features a specific level, character, and trap loadout to master, all pre-defined by Robot Entertainment’s design team. Players will be challenged to defend the rifts in new and exciting ways, rethinking all of their tried and true methods of slaying orcs. Every Friday, a new Weekly Challenge will be issued. This Friday, August 17th, select the current challenge from the game mode menu and battle for supremacy on customized single-player and co-op Weekly Challenge leaderboards!
Sounds pretty cool, though I'm not nearly ready for it. Haven't had a chance to play much lately, so I still haven't touched the sorceress, or even started nightmare with the war mage yet.

Sciz

Best trap in the last game, best trap in this one. The upgrade to make it persist is especially amazing.

Going back to the "tar is awesome" talk, I cleared nightmare as the sorceress a little bit ago. Totally doable, but boy oh boy did I ever miss tar. The acid traps are amazing and the polymorph ring is just astonishingly powerful, but losing tar still threw me for a loop. A bunch of strategies just don't work without it, and ice traps aren't really a substitute.

Therion

New patch today:
Weekly challenge support added. Challenges begin on Friday 8-17-2012!
Various ongoing adjustments to trap grids.
Controller support added to the menus (cursor speed in menus is determined by the windows mouse speed settings)
The "My Stuff" page in the Spellbook is now sortable.
Network fix for a very rare case where units stop moving on the client.
Story dialogs no longer play during Endless Mode.
Fix for "No gore" option. Now you will not see blood if you have this option turned on.
Guardian kills now count as trap kills.
Auto-backup of your profile added.
Polymorph ring probability adjustments.
Fixed gore for grinder traps.
Units affected by the Spore Trap should no longer trigger sounds from the level (“They are on the stairs!”, etc).
Fixed skull rewards at the 200000, 300000, etc milestones.
Fix for the corrupted UI borders along left and top of screen.
Fixed a bug that caused Shaman-revived units to not be affected by Physics traps.
Bile bats can no longer shoot through Boulder Chutes
Fixed a bug that allowed skull farming with a "retry" of levels.
Sorceress' sceptre fizzling is now fully fixeed.
Void wall potions and coins fade after 2 minutes. This prevents a crash that would occur when there were dozens of them present in a level.

This is what they posted in regards to the weekly event starting Friday:
Hey folks! This Fiday we're going to start issuing Weekly Challenges in OMD2! Every Friday you'll find a new challenge listed under the Game Mode drop-down. You'll have pre-defined combination of a character, a level, and traps/spells/weapons. They can be played in SP or Co-Op, and each weekly challenge will have it's own set of custom leaderboards. You've got 7 days to get to the top!

We've got a TON of great ideas planned for weekly challenges already, but we'd love to hear some of yours! If you think you've got a great idea for a weekly challenge, post it in here and we'll look them over. If they test well inside the Robot Factory, we may use your idea!

So tell us what you think:

Level:
Character:
Loadout:

Some notes - The way it works with traps and such is that you have a specific set available in the spellbook that we define (including their upgrades). You have to choose from what's available. In Co-Op, it works the same, but you'll still both only have the same types of traps to choose from (but you may not each get them all, given the 6-per character limit)

The OMD 2 thread is a dilapidated cemetary? Really, are people not aware of how incredible entertaining the series is?

Maybe for once we are just too busy playing games instead of talking about them XD

Therion

The OMD 2 thread is a dilapidated cemetary? Really, are people not aware of how incredible entertaining the series is?

Maybe for once we are just too busy playing games instead of talking about them XD
I'm too busy to play much of anything, but when I get time, this is the game I turn to. Has anybody tried the weekly challenge? I didn't get to spend much time with it, but it certainly is challenging to get a decent score on.

Sciz

I'm too busy to play much of anything, but when I get time, this is the game I turn to. Has anybody tried the weekly challenge? I didn't get to spend much time with it, but it certainly is challenging to get a decent score on.

Gave it a shot, got 85k or so. Hopefully later challenges are somewhat more interesting, like having to use steam traps and boulder chutes effectively or some such.

This week's Challenge was a borefest lol. Still funny to see them being flipped to the other track only to get hit by mine cart. Did it solo and coop :3

Also did coop for the story and classic maps, still got Finale and a few others to 5 skulls on warmage. Thanks Kuro!

Volcynika

Was doing Caldera endless with m y brother, and was a few enemies from finishing the 50th wave......and we lost. Two hours of work gone! :(

Though our computers started getting a bit stuttery on the later waves, might not attempt it again if it has issues.

Volcynika

Apparently there's DLC out now, some new traps, new weapons, new elementals, and more endless maps.

I got the DLC. The maps seem neat, but only did one run. The water elementals are a paiiiiiiiin when they get to Water Lords. I think the portal traps in the DLC are super helpful, helped greatly with me and my brother doing endless on Crossifre (at least I think it's one of the traps included).

Fortunately got all the achievements, hoorays!

S0qzu.jpg

Amzin

Has anyone had problems with co-op disconnects? My wife and I are playing co-op in the same room on same router, and get random disconnects not too infrequently now. Got 2 today out of like 4 attempts. On the Steam forums someone had the same problem and doing verify integrity fixed it for him, but for us it just always gives the 1 file needs to be redownloaded error, even if I run the verify integrity again without running the game, so it's clearly not actually downloaded/fixing the problem file.

I can't post on the steam forums because apparently I didn't have a forum account so have to wait -_-

Ceebs

Decided I wanted some more of this so my co-op buddy and I picked up the new DLC (mainly because she would not shut up about The Tower). The new sapper guy is the most annoying enemy in the game. New maps were pretty easy though. I got my 4 bucks out of it though. Still my GOTY

I'm thinking of picking this up on the current GMG sale, but I'd rather play it solo as I'm not interested in co-op. Is it still worth a purchase, as from a couple of reviews I've read it appears to have been designed with co-op in mind and solo is a bit of a bitch?

Torraz

Played the first few levels and it's pretty fun.

My biggest grievance is that I haven't had one of those meatgrinder levesl yet where there is only one path for all the creeps to take. I hope there are some of those nature in the game.

Ken

So this game is on sale on Steam right now, and I was wondering if anything carries over to OMD2 if you own OMD1? If not I'll just get OMD2.

Top Bottom