• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is my Steam account disabled?

Echoes

and the answer is: http://support.steampowered.com/cgi...php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=368&l=english

surprisingly, I did NOT do any fucking thing that listed in that page, I just spent 100 bucks in the last week purchasing games from their Steam and TADAAAAA my account is suspended.

Give me a reason for not hating Valve, I'm through with them and screw their stupid Box. Oh, that's not trolling, that's what happens when they eat your money.

steamdisabled.gif

Echoes

I already did, and waiting for their response. but I did read elsewhere that "we will not re-activate the account".

I was going to buy the Box on my 360 today, even though I got the PC version, just to show my support. I'm glad I didn't.

tanod

when is my burrito
Do you have or have you ever been in contact with a PS3? If so, BE WEARY for the Gabepocalypse is coming!

Yeah, my account got disabled for no reason as well. Good thing I picked up Orange Box on the 360! I'm not gonna even bother with Steam anymore if they are going to ban my account for no fucking reason.

Citizenship said:
hmmm, what?
Basically there used to be (could still, I finally got a decent job and can pay for stuff now) where there was an exploit. The exploit would use a modified steam client to fake that you bought games. Then you could download the games straight from steam. Even if the account had zero games on it. They patched steam and have a better verification process now. I'd assume with all things in that sort of scene that they evolved and are still that way. I won't name the clients and won't go into any more detail. And yes, I own all those games now since then.

AdmiralViscen said:
So if they ban you, you lose your games and they keep your money? That's awesome.
I would think they only suspend/ban you on a critical reason or breaking the ToS. Otherwise valve would have more problems up the wazoo to sort out.

AdmiralViscen said:
So if they ban you, you lose your games and they keep your money? That's awesome.

Well, even a lot of disc based games you only buy a liscense. When you violate the the terms they could take your game from you, but that's just not practical.

It's just they have full control now over whether you have access. We never really 'own' these games :(

But yeah, check the official forums. I think something like this has happened before.

Echoes

Zapperkhan said:
Basically there used to be (could still, I finally got a decent job and can pay for stuff now) where there was an exploit. The exploit would use a modified steam client to fake that you bought games. Then you could download the games straight from steam. Even if the account had zero games on it. They patched steam and have a better verification process now. I'd assume with all things in that sort of scene that they evolved and are still that way. I won't name the clients and won't go into any more detail. And yes, I own all those games now since then.

but I never did such things :'|

I'm pretty sad about it. I'm not a hardcore PC gamer, but Steam encouraged me into playing PC games and even appreciate them (CoH, for instance). I was planning to buy a decent controller and a good nVidia card today, I was really hyped to play some PC awesomeness. hell, yesterday I purchased Titan Quest and I haven't even seen what it looks like.

I'm just fucking pissed off.

Citizenship said:
but I never did such things :'|

I'm pretty sad about it. I'm not a hardcore PC gamer, but Steam encouraged me into playing PC games and even appreciate them (CoH, for instance). I was planning to buy a decent controller and a good nVidia card today, I was really hyped to play some PC awesomeness. hell, yesterday I purchased Titan Quest and I didn't even seen what it looks like.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609382

Others have had a problem as well. Send in a ticket is the best you can do. Customer support is what companies set up for situations like this. Did your email have a message regarding the ban?

Coen

f_elz said:
btw:
Coen .... do tell

Playing Portal last night, I got messaged by some account called 'Steam Support' telling me 'multiple IPs were using my account' and asked me to 'confirm my login and password in the chatscreen'. Obviously, it was a fake account. Funny thing was that it asked for my login right underneath Valve's warning that I should never give away my login on a chat.

Google

Citizenship said:

It sucks, and I'd be pissed too, but fuck up's happen, and in the grand scale, not being able to play a couple of games you've just purchased over the weekend isn't too big of a deal.

Follow up with your original e-mail (do they have a phone number) and hopefully you'll get it all sorted come monday.

Maybe they'll be nice and throw in Spider Solitaire or something?

M3wThr33

Banned
Steam-Support can be borderline retarded.

I asked them to change my username because when I made my account, it SUGGESTED to use my email address, so I did. Unfortunately I don't use that email address anymore, so I asked to change it. They suggested making a new account.
I don't think they fully understand that there are purchases tied to these things.

dfyb

Banned
didn't read the thread, but did you double check to see if the payment actually went through (check your credit card online)?

Gnar Kill

I have the same problem, never done anything to warrant any banning, yet my account is disabled. I tried to contact them, but am still waiting on a response. Awesome.

Gnar Kill said:
I have the same problem, never done anything to warrant any banning, yet my account is disabled. I tried to contact them, but am still waiting on a response. Awesome.
Don't stop at one email keep pressing them, their costumer support is kinda bad when I had a problem with Jagged Alliance it took me three emails for them to offer the choice of having the money returned to.

Miburou

Man, games on physical media is still the way to go, IMO. No DRM issues (at least on consoles), no chances of all your games suddenly "disappearing", and the added bonus of being to sell your game when you no longer need them.

Salmonax

OP, please update when you hear from Valve. As a pretty serious Steam user, I'm curious as to how quickly they resolve critical issues like this.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, I buy all of my Valve games at retail (got the Orange Box today), though I think that doesn't make too much of a difference. At this point, with the more modern Valve releases, don't they require activation via Steam in order to be playable, regardless?

That said, I've been a Steam member since 2004, and literally had it uninstalled for almost 3 years of that time. I recently downloaded it and accessed my account, for the first time in ages, and was rather surprised to see all of my earlier activations still valid and readily downloadable. I've since picked up a few more games (all at retail) and have added them without issues.

It's been a uniquely smooth experience. I did, however, change my password immediately after resurrecting my account. Just in case.

I'd definitely be interested in hearing any updates on your case, and this kind of thing is always a concern.

Google

Mejilan said:
I'd definitely be interested in hearing any updates on your case, and this kind of thing is always a concern.

To give you an opposite spin.

I've had my Steam account for 6 months, spent around $300 on various games, and never, ever had a problem.

I've had it running on my work PC, home PC, and my laptop, and everything has been fine. I've deleted, re-installed, deleted again, a number of the games, and they are all still available...

So yeah - they are pretty perfect in my eyes.

Salmonax

Google said:
I've had my Steam account for 6 months, spent around $300 on various games, and never, ever had a problem.
Likewise, only I've had it since the beta in 2003. It's been nothing but good to me, although I'd love to be able to change my login ID someday.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Credit Card issue perhaps? Maybe someone else was using your account? I've had steam from launch day and I've never had an issue.

Top Bottom