• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void |OT| My Life For Aiur

Maddrical

with Kerrigan's attitude of "RARRR HATE MENGSK REVENGE" becoming grating at times, but I like the actual game design surrounding HotS much better.

That was my biggest issue with HotS, the story of the entire expansion is basically summed up with those 4 words. Still loved the missions and everything else to do with the campaign, just thought the story was a bit shallow. Kerrigan was also incredibly OP, that ability that spawned a small army of units was just insane.

My LotV CE is in the mail! Should get it by next week. Pretty excited. I'm also a Protoss guy so I've been waiting for this campaign for a loooooong time.

Syf

Banned
Started getting into SC2 with the Starter Edition partying with my friend recently but I've been itching to play it by myself.

Should I pick up Legacy of the Void and wait for a sale for the other campaigns? I played half of the Terran campaign close to release on my brother's copy and it was pretty good.
The complete collection is only $20 more than LotV base version, that might be the best value if you intend to play all the campaigns. But if you just want to play the multiplayer stuff for now then yeah LotV is the way to go.

The complete collection is only $20 more than LotV base version, that might be the best value if you intend to play all the campaigns. But if you just want to play the multiplayer stuff for now then yeah LotV is the way to go.

WoL and HotS are regularly on sale for $20 each. Happens extremely often and you can probably find them for that price somewhere on Black Friday.

Syf

Banned
WoL and HotS are regularly on sale for $20 each. Happens extremely often and you can probably find them for that price somewhere on Black Friday.
They're regular price $20 each now, and it works out to $10 each (+ the $39 for LotV) if you go with the complete collection.

problem is canadian dollars, I can't really afford paying $80 for the complete collection, but I can get LoTV for $40 on cdkeys.com

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So far Kerrigan and her Zerg underlings are nowhere near as endearing, with Kerrigan's attitude of "RARRR HATE MENGSK REVENGE" becoming grating at times.

You're basically touching upon why people hate the story of HOTS. In Starcraft 1, Kerrigan was a master manipulator. She was "Queen Bitch of the Universe" to quote the game directly. She orchestrated plots to take advantage of basically everyone and then once her goals were achieved she betrayed them all. She ends up killing several major characters including a Protoss named Fenix (see my avatar) who was basically the most badass Protoss this series has ever seen. When she kills Fenix, Raynor says "I'm going to be the man who kills you one day."

And in SC2, instead of killing her... yeah...

Sibylus

Banned
Becoming a Chris Metzen is one of my more pronounced aspiring writer fears: turning into an author who can no longer handle the darkness in the world or even in my own stories, and making a childish fairytale mockery of them as a result.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Becoming a Chris Metzen is one of my more pronounced aspiring writer fears: turning into a author who can no longer handle the darkness in the world or even in my own stories, and making a childish fairytale mockery of them as a result.

I still remember how freaking saturday-morning-cartoon Azmodan became.

"You'll never get past my army here!"

"Okay, so you got past my army there. But HERE you'll be stopped."

"You went through those guys too! But this is where the line is drawn!"

"Okay, so you blew through that one as well! But you'll never get to me!"

"You got to me! This is the part where I kill you!"

*Azmodan dies*

It wasn't a Kerrigan clone. I thought it was an implant that was given to her when she was a ghost to control her. Which was fucking stupid because why didn't he used it earlier in the Brood Wars.
I think
it's a clone, it even had barcode on the forehead. And Kerrigan was an ex-Confederacy Ghost, why would she be in Mengsk's tank?
problem is canadian dollars, I can't really afford paying $80 for the complete collection, but I can get LoTV for $40 on cdkeys.com
Couldn't you switch store region in battle.net client and buy from the US?

I think
it's a clone, it even had barcode on the forehead. And Kerrigan was an ex-Confederacy Ghost, why would she be in Mengsk's tank?

Couldn't you switch store region in battle.net client and buy from the US?

I'm buying from the US

$60 USD is $80 CAD. Our dollar is terrible.

peakish

The story isn't nearly as bad as media makes it out to be. I've read the complaints in this thread and they all seem to be related to the tonal shift from SC1 -> SC2. Never played SC1, so maybe ignorance is bliss in this case. It is a fun romp through space with obvious plot macguffins created to fit gameplay mechanics, but they end up telling an interesting enough story so it doesn't really matter.
It's not just the tonal shift. You can write a great cheesy story, like Beyond Good & Evil. The writing itself is the big issue with SC2's story and why so many can't connect with it.

Fun games, though.

I'm buying from the US

$60 USD is $80 CAD. Our dollar is terrible.
Ah I see. I still couldn't forgive Blizzard for selling WoL for 65 USD in Taiwan, then turn it into region locked version with only Mandadrin audio (the voice acting was horrible) and reduced the price to half within a year. I made an American account after that.

So the campaign rocks. Excellently produced missions. Just a tonne of fun. I thought it started off super easy (playing on normal) but there was a genuine challenge in the later missions. I found myself saving every two seconds on the last mission in the main story and also got overrun so many times. It was fun as hell and reminded me why I love this series in terms of pure gameplay so much. It's just enjoyable and fun. The game also felt like "In Utter Darkness - the game" and that was my favourite mission from WoL.

The story was just "okay". Some of the cinematic moments were great and the moment to moment plot progression was enjoyable with all of the out of nowhere twists and so on - it's just that I finished the main story feeling like I'd absorbed a mediocre and predictable story in terms of the overriding narrative arc. It lacked a wow moment and any degree of substance towards the end. It just goes where you think it's going to go and ends predictably. Overall the main story is merely passable as opposed to the compelling dark science fiction that the series first introduced in SC1.

Fuck those epilogue missions though. You're all posting about the difficulty spike and you're totally right. I just about handled the first one with patience, grinding and by basically constructing a mass army of fully upgraded void rays and using shield over charge to succeed but then the game
throws you straight in to playing as Terran out of nowhere and I was so surprised after playing twenty missions as Protoss for the last two nights my first thought was what the fuck do I do here? Tried teching straight up to Battlecruisers without defending and that turned out to be the worst choice in the universe because I failed the mission in about five minutes.

I want to keep playing since there's only two missions left but I'm not really enjoying the epilogue. They're cool missions in terms of the maps, atmosphere and visuals and I'm curious to see where the bizarre epilogue plot is going but the difficulty is just ridiculous. I'll probably give it a break for now and return to it tomorrow night freshly recharged to finish the epilogue just so I can see the rest of the game. However ridiculous the true ending sounds like it's going to be I still want to see it.

The epilogue is disappointing me so far though. During the main story I felt compelled to keep playing because I was having so much fun but the combination of the story heading in what looks like a ridiculous direction in tandem with some badly designed missions that feel near impossible in terms of difficulty - to be honest it just made want to rage quit.

It's a good game but it really does feel like it falls off a cliff once you beat the main Protoss campaign.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm still at mission 17, but let me ask this - the mission list in the archive shows that there are 19 missions. Are the epilogue missions not included in that count?

Moff

I'm still at mission 17, but let me ask this - the mission list in the archive shows that there are 19 missions. Are the epilogue missions not included in that count?
that is my guess, because the prologue missions are not in there either

how many epilogue missions are there?

I think I'm almost done with the main campaign now, and I have to say that I'd probably rate the quality of this campaign above HotS but below WoL. Having fun with it, either way.

The story is so cheesy though, it's time for Metzen to either find new inspiration as a writer or step down and let new blood breathe life into the company's storytelling department.

dkoy

Are there any plans for more co-op maps? I get my shit pushed in by literally everybody in multiplayer so I've taken to retreating to the confines of co-op mode.

Moff

wow, looks like I dodged a bullet with the spoiler on the last page.
it's really difficult sometimes on GAF. I got spoiled that
fenix would appear in the campaign.
I reached that point yesterday and honestly would have loved to know my reaction to that, but because of the spoiler I saw it coming miles away, not cool. People don't get banned for it either, so I guess I am gonna stay out of this topic until I am done with the campaign, and since I am addicted to co-op, this might take a while.

No one plays sc2 for the story, but I'd still like to exerience this whacky shit without spoilers.

Are there any plans for more co-op maps? I get my shit pushed in by literally everybody in multiplayer so I've taken to retreating to the confines of co-op mode.

I really hope they expand it, not only more characters and maps, but more randomization. a random race as enemy is a good start, but I'd love it objectives would not always appear in the same order. that would make co-op much less predictable and a lot better. I would also love some kind of ranking system that motives you to play a character after you reached the max level.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
No one plays sc2 for the story, but I'd still like to exerience this whacky shit without spoilers.

I really hope they expand it, not only more characters and maps, but more randomization. a random race as enemy is a good start, but I'd love it objectives would not always appear in the same order. that would make co-op much less predictable and a lot better. I would also love some kind of ranking system that motives you to play a character after you reached the max level.

I do ._. I like it from the cringe stuff to the scifi bullshit :D

I really like the whole spider-man joke in the game.

question I'm at
temple of ascension
how much do I have left? okay found it. 9/19

Just beat the final mission (after switching it to casual) and then the epilogue missions (also on casual). My biggest issue with the campaign is when they just sped up the multiplayer early game, but you barely start with any workers in basically every mission and spend the first 5 minutes just setting up your infrastructure. Story wise (for campaign and epilogue),
When I finished the epilogue I already forgot the cinematic from the end of the campaign without going into deeper thought. The final mission of the campaign story wise is such a weak way to go out. The last two missions should have been switched, where you first free all of the Protoss and then destroy Amon's physical form. For the epilogue I'm ok with how the story went but Kerrigan's Xel'naga model is awful. I know a lot of people will be pissed with finding out Tassadar was a Xel'naga the whole time, but it's whatever for me. The shot of Raynor going away with Kerrigan is fine with me, although I have no idea why he'd never be seen again.

that is my guess, because the prologue missions are not in there either

how many epilogue missions are there?

Three. (Not a story spoiler)
You play as Protoss in the first mission, Terran in the second and Zerg in the 3rd. All core units from single player are available for Terran but the types for Protoss and Zerg seem set as various ones (Sentinel Zealots, Blink Stalkers, instant 3 Zerglings, etc). Also 3 races also have automated gas geysers.

Moonlight

Banned
Finished the main campaign. As far as the story goes, it's... meh. It's not as bad as HotS or WoL. No one has a remote amount of dimension to them, and the plot beats just feel like you're constantly just going through the motions. But that's StarCraft 2 for you! Artanis barely resembles his iteration in BW, but it's really not as offensive as the treatment that Kerrigan and Raynor got in their campaigns, so it's not really a huge deal. Side characters were mostly pretty boring (especially everyone in the Solar Core), but hey, Alarak is probably the best character in SC2 at this point.

Tal'darim are still stupid and 2edgy as fuck, though.

Bigger spoilers:

Amon is straight up the worst villain that Blizzard has ever made, though. Dude is a joke, and not even one I can laugh at. He's not even a physical presence in the plot for 99% of it - just a scary voice that possesses people sometimes. He does basically nothing personally to stop you (warping around constantly and all the resistance you find is usually just the armies that were already there), and the penultimate mission is just about crushing him before he even gets a chance to spawn. Just flaccid as hell. I don't care who he is, and I don't care about what he plans on doing. Just a bad character. Bad villain. Very bad.

Oh, and last mission is by far the easiest one of its' type I've played though.
On Normal, at least. Just set up a huge turret + Khaydarin blockade at every entrance with tons of shield batteries and didn't even need to worry about anything other than the occasional ship assault after that. Just amassed a fleet of Void Rays and Carriers to babysit occasionally. Pretty much just spent the mission waiting for it to end.

Also, it's essentially identical in concept to the end of the BW Protoss campaign, lol. WC3: Reign of Chaos still has by far the best and most challenging iteration of this sort of mission.

If this were the actual, legitimate end of StarCraft 2, I would probably be pretty disappointed, but not really surprised. It's very safe. Pretty rote. But at least it keeps its' head above the water in a way that WoL and HotS just could not manage to do to save their lives.

...so of course, it's time for the epilogue. Can't... wait.

Oh, but mission-wise the game's been okay to great, for the most part. I kinda feel like a lot of the gimmicks are too soft, though. There's nothing as insane as trying to move away from a fire wall advancing across the entire map, and while I didn't need anything that extreme, a lot of the time the mission concept isn't really something you need to think about when planning.

FluxWaveZ

I'm done.
phoenix-emo.gif

It's done; it's over.

Not satisfied with reducing Kerrigan—my favorite SC character and one of my favorite characters of all time—to a shell of her former StarCraft self, the SCII saga needed to completely shit on her to really tell me that they just don't give a crap. Like... what? What the hell did I just watch in the epilogue? Is this supposed to be a joke, or is it a "fuck you" to the people who had been complaining about SC2's story this whole time?

StarCraft literally became a love story. Like, we've known this for years, but really think about that.

I'm not even one who had been waiting for a conclusion to Brood War for the number of years others did. I only got into this series in early 2011. But I'm still so dumbfounded and disappointed that this is what I had to look forward to, after thoroughly enjoying the story of SC and BW.

And this time, I can't even say that the gameplay of the campaign redeemed it for me, because it was the most boring of the three, for me.

They pulled a Mass Effect 3, so I congratulate them on that, because shitting on the story of a series to that extent takes some real effort to do. It's like they looked up to it, too, because there was a clear point where they could have just hit "stop" before the epilogue and it would have been a boring/bad ending, but completely in line with what anyone would have expected up to that point. But nope, they had to pull off what they did, for whatever reason. I'll have to look back and see if this game has its own Marauder Shields.

At least unlike Mass Effect 3, I can find it in me to completely disassociate SC + Brood War from SC2. Maybe I'll start thinking of all this as a "what-if" story that didn't happen, and I'll just go back and play the older games again.

Altima

Characters in this game has no more than one dimension.

Everything go according to the plan.
No one lying.
Zeratul death is only thing that surprise me but the story turn bland and boring after that.
His death is also not epic enough.
Boring villain. While hijacking the Khala is very interesting action we got spoiled about that long time ago.
Expected Void + Khala power to show up but that does not even happen.
Epilogue is totally bullshit.....

It is a totally disappointment for me.

Now I'm worry about Warcraft movie. I have no idea how can they come up with this story for the end of Starcraft and no idea how can people in Blizzard agree to put this quality of story to sell.

Mission is pretty much the same but I like that we can change unit factions at anytime.

Pooya

Finished it on Hard. In the end if they kept Kerrigan like she was in the original and didn't invent this new bad guy out of nowhere the games would be way better, just whatever other story that didn't involve that would be very acceptable imo.
It's like Queen of Blades killed Fenix my dear friend, now I'm just going to ally with her, this EASILY, Artanis is just so pure, kind and all that. and Kerrigan might as well be a different character in SCII
It's so convenient.
The game was so fun though, I'm going to work on those achievements sometime. Really enjoyed it.

I haven't touched the coop missions yet, that's next. I'm afraid of playing ladder, I'm going to get rekt after all this time of not playing.

1337Sauce

Compiled all of the in-game cinematics, conversations and some gameplay battles into one super long "movie"!

Just thought that I would throw a link here for anybody interested in watching...of course there are SPOILERS. Personally, I quite enjoyed the campaign, and while there definitely are some weak points (terrible character development being my main complaint), I still thought that it ended up being pretty epic. The game did a good job at conveying the sense of scale that the story was aiming for, with some of those last couple missions really keeping me on the edge of my seat.

Overall, good job Blizzard. Maybe one day far into the future we will get an SC3?

Legacy of the Void The Movie: https://youtu.be/h0eLMbSsI8g

Tiamant

Co-op missions are ok but they get old very fast. Just a few upgrades more until I can manage Brutal and then what?

I'm thinking about getting the game.

Since I only play on my PS4 at the moment and don't own a dedicated gaming PC - How would this run on a Macbook Pro 15" without a dedicated GPU (Intel Iris Pro integrated)? Can't find any benchmarks. HotS did run fine back in the days. Is LotV more demanding?

Thanks in advance.

Pooya

I'm thinking about getting the game.

Since I only play on my PS4 at the moment and don't own a dedicated gaming PC - How would this run on a Macbook Pro 15" without a dedicated GPU (Intel Iris Pro integrated)? Can't find any benchmarks. HotS did run fine back in the days. Is LotV more demanding?

Thanks in advance.

It is more demanding, but it will be playable still. The game's performance on OSX has always been pretty bad, drop everything to low and it will run on anything.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
LAN party at my house tomorrow! Cant believe 12 years later I can still get the same people together for a starcraft lan party

This is the best post in the entire thread

I love dedication and enthusiasm like this. I did the same for HotS launch, it was one of the most memorable things I've ever arranged.

Fliesen

i wasn't able to finish the last epilogue mission yesterday, so i had to do it today, after work.

wtf @ that final scene :D

off to another playthrough on hard, for the mastery achievements.

Werd

Co-op gets more fun as you unlock the OP abilities, enjoying it quite a bit now. Zagara and DT woman are fun. Although hard is easy at just level 3-5, so it seems like there will be no end-game challenge with brutal giving it a pretty limited lifespan as it's own mode. Good feature though.

Also did about a third of the game on Brutal and partially on hard to get the mastery achievements, obviously a lot more engaging than coasting no normal. Still feels a bit repetitive of the other games at this point, but remains some of my favorite gameplay around.

I'm waiting on seeing some early tournaments to get a better idea of the correct compositions before giving 1v1 another shot.

Kiro

Co-op gets more fun as you unlock the OP abilities, enjoying it quite a bit now. Zagara and DT woman are fun. Although hard is easy at just level 3-5, so it seems like there will be no end-game challenge with brutal giving it a pretty limited lifespan as it's own mode. Good feature though.

Also did about a third of the game on Brutal and partially on hard to get the mastery achievements, obviously a lot more engaging than coasting no normal. Still feels a bit repetitive of the other games at this point, but remains some of my favorite gameplay around.

I'm waiting on seeing some early tournaments to get a better idea of the correct compositions before giving 1v1 another shot.

Did you get the mastery achievement for the penultimate mission? If so, how? I can't do it for the life of me.

Jinaar

SC2 is a hard game to get friends into. I've had curious friends look at a 1v1 match and once they see the APM and base babysitting they literally look this -

tumblr_n0jw5r44Qh1qjanq7o1_250.gif

If there was a multiplayer league that was filled with people like that, I would play SC2 against others. My APM in single player might hit the 0.5/sec range. Slow and steady wins the race.....

Deadstar

So I hope the story goes in a better direction but it seems like the main antagonists in each campaign are a rival faction. Raynor -> Mengsk, Kerrigan --> Primal Zerg, Protoss --> Amon. I hope there is more character interaction between Tassadar and Raynor and Kerrigan. I'm still early so I guess maybe that is coming.

I'm liking the coop missions but I hope they add a lot more because six doesn't feel like a lot.

If there was a multiplayer league that was filled with people like that, I would play SC2 against others. My APM in single player might hit the 0.5/sec range. Slow and steady wins the race.....

It's one of the reasons why I really really really like Grey Goo and wish it was penetrating the RTS market better than it currently is. It's the complete opposite of all the micro and APM and base baby sitting that SC2 has devolved into.

An unfortunate side effect of the emphasis on micro and spell casting units is that yes, it makes SC2 as an e-sport much more entertaining to watch but it really shuts out casual gamers. And all the focus on micro results in unit balancing devolving into hard countering against other units so the unique traits and distinctness of each races' play style suffers as a result.

Grey Goo is a breath of fresh air in that regard, because it looks at SC2 and has moved in the opposite direction. I wish more people played it.

Deadstar

It's one of the reasons why I really really really like Grey Goo and wish it was penetrating the RTS market better than it currently is. It's the complete opposite of all the micro and APM and base baby sitting that SC2 has devolved into.

An unfortunate side effect of the emphasis on micro and spell casting units is that yes, it makes SC2 as an e-sport much more entertaining to watch but it really shuts out casual gamers. And all the focus on micro results in unit balancing devolving into hard countering against other units so the unique traits and distinctness of each races' play style suffers as a result.

Grey Goo is a breath of fresh air in that regard, because it looks at SC2 and has moved in the opposite direction. I wish more people played it.

This is one of the things that annoys me the most about starcraft. They went waaaay too far with catering to esports. It shuts out the 95% of people who can't play at that level. I wish the game was balanced more for normal people. Clicking a million times a minute is not fun.

This is one of the things that annoys me the most about starcraft. They went waaaay too far with catering to esports. It shuts out the 95% of people who can't play at that level. I wish the game was balanced more for normal people. Clicking a million times a minute is not fun.

It's ironic that the game's design and micro intensiveness is catered towards e-sports but the e-sport community has largely left SC2 for mobas and the remaining community, at least in NA, isn't really enough to support the game and there is such a huuuge wall between SC2 and new players that it's totally fucked the game over.

It has no longevity now. I look at current games being played on LOTV on Battle.net and it's always hovering around 13,000 games. And that's it. Game's dead.

Top Bottom