• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at new Conan (Schwarzenegger: "My bod laughs at your bod.")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daigoro

sounds like there are about a total of 2-3 people in this thread who have actually read any of Howard's Conan stories.

yeesh.

Salazar

Daigoro said:
sounds like there are about a total of 2-3 people in this thread who have actually read any of Howard's Conan stories.

yeesh.

You do have to persist in order to moderate the instinctive impression that they are just homoerotic juvenilia. They are more than that, but I can well understand the folks who get off at that station.

glaurung

That Hawaiian bloke looks stupid and in no way the bad-ass that Conan is supposed to be.

This movie better have the best camera and action in the world, otherwise this is straight to video crap.

And since this movie pretty much killed the Sonya movie with Rose and she is in this one. And she better have a nice cleavage.

Or else...

Does Robert E. Howard remind anyone else of a chubbier Christian Bale? I think it's the brows.

RobertEHoward.jpg

christian_bale.jpg

Then again Bale is already James Brolin.

imgJames%20Brolin3.jpg

I guess what i'm trying to say is.... Bale should have been Conan.

Banned
Loxley said:
Jesus, Conan must have really been a "You had to be there" movie. I really don't understand the love for it outside of the nostalgia factor for an entering-his-prime Arnold, it's not like it's an untouchable masterpiece of film-making.

Not to mention it's barely a Conan movie at all given how far it departed from the source material, outside of a few subtle references to Robert E. Howard's stories, the sequel was even worse (the Conan equivalent of Schumacher's Batman & Robin in my opinion).

They're likely to stick much closer to the source material this time around, or at the very least draw inspiration from the outstanding Kurt Busiek Dark Horse comic adaption. I'm actually interested in the film, and hey, Ron Perlman is playing Corin (Conan's dad).
I think a lot of the people who will critique the direction this film takes don't give a fuck( or even know) any of the old Ron Howard stories.

yacobod

Banned
this conan does not know what is best in life

this conan probably thinks its the open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair.

Problem with the agile original Conan, it's just another generic fantasy character archetype. Arnold Conan style created something bad ass that set it apart from your usual heroic fantasy character we have seen over and over again.

No one will care about this new conan, they want Arnold like Conan that so many fell in love with.

Aske

Salazar said:
You do have to persist in order to moderate the instinctive impression that they are just homoerotic juvenilia. They are more than that, but I can well understand the folks who get off at that station.

Depends which story you read first. Anyone curious should check out 'The Tower of the Elephant'. Utter madness. Weird fiction at its best.

I always preferred Howard's other grim dispatcher of bloody justice, Solomon Kane. He's like a proto Batman. Anyone know why the SK movie isn't getting a proper release in NA? I think it came out in Europe a few months ago, and from the handful of reviews I've skimmed through it sounds fantastic.

yacobod

Banned
Aske said:
I always preferred Howard's other grim dispatcher of bloody justice, Solomon Kane. He's like a proto Batman. Anyone know why the SK movie isn't getting a proper release in NA? I think it came out in Europe a few months ago, and from the handful of reviews I've skimmed through it sounds fantastic.

ya i was hoping for the SK movie to get a wide release in the US, but its not looking likely now, james purefoy is a bad ass, was hoping this could be a break for him

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
The reboot by Millenium Pictures focuses on a younger Conan and his wild barbarian ways

wasn't the original movie about his younger days as well?

MaxSteel

sparky2112 said:
Amazing in an absolutely craptastic way. They were abysmal. There is nowhere to go but up for Conan on film. Not that this time around WILL go up...

get outta here. conan the barbarian is "craptastic"? the second one, yes. the first one's brilliant.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Better, but I still get the Hercules/Xena vibe from those pics and that is not good. I hope new Red Sonja movie at least rocks.

Bearthgar

Banned
He's big enough and should be athletic enough, but he does look a lot more like a model than a big lifter. All the original artwork was more focused on big legs and big core, as opposed to big shoulders/chest.

They just need to make him dirtier. Conan was never clean, always covered with dirt and blood.

It'll be interesting to see if they incorporate any of the cosmic horror elements into this version.

Conan the Barbarian and its sequel, Conan the Destroyer. The latter drew more inspiration from the Howard novels than the original, and was less serious in tone; it didn't perform as well at the box office, however. You could also consider Red Sonja an unofficial sequel, as it was made by the same guys and features Schwarzenegger in a Conan-alike role; that movie bombed hard.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
If this isn't rated R, I'm not even going to bother. The world is ready for a balls-out blood and breasts epic, anything less will do about as well as the Prince of Persia movie. This film needs Conan barrel-rolling bitches into fireplaces, punching camels, massacring massive cannibal orgies, and decapitating his foes and throwing their heads down the temple steps in front of their stunned followers.

Duki

Banned
people actually give a shit about this character as he was before the arnie movie?

who cares what howard said.

GhaleonEB

Spire said:
If this isn't rated R, I'm not even going to bother. The world is ready for a balls-out blood and breasts epic, anything less will do about as well as the Prince of Persia movie. This film needs Conan barrel-rolling bitches into fireplaces, punching camels, massacring massive cannibal orgies, and decapitating his foes and throwing their heads down the temple steps in front of their stunned followers.
I am quoting this because it is true, every word. There's no point in the reboot otherwise.

This needs to be more Barbarian than Destroyer.

Salazar

Duki said:
people actually give a shit about this character as he was before the arnie movie?

who cares what howard said.

You can think something this childish, and yet be able to type it ?

Kifimbo

I really need to see Conan The Barbarian again. Saw it dozens of time when I was a kid, clearly remember the story, but I'm sure I missed tons of details. Plus I didn't understand Englsih back then, so I only listened to it in French (dubbed).

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I own both Conans on DVD so i laugh at this reboot.
Theres only one Conan and thats Arnold.

mjc

Arnold was good, but far too roided out. Pretty much anyone who says that he was/is the embodiment of Conan has never read the stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom