• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition Thread!

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Phew, what a game!

The shooting range is hilariously easy with the Wii Remote.

I've filled an entire row in the first shooting range, can I not get anymore caps till the next one? I don't want to move on when I could be getting more caps!

cvxfreak

McBacon said:
Phew, what a game!

I've filled an entire row in the first shooting range, can I not get anymore caps till the next one? I don't want to move on when I could be getting more caps!

Yeah, I believe you get certain caps at each location.

Linkhero1

McBacon said:
Phew, what a game!

I actually filled all of the rows in thanks to the wiimote

Mmmm! Picked this up for 25$ even though I own and have played through the GC maybe 2-3 times.

Still completly worth it. Awesome game.

Does any one know where the rest of the shooting galleries are? I wanna make sure i get all the bottle caps.

Tab0203

The stock changes the sensitivity/deadzone of the pointer.

The handgun has a smaller deadzone than the Wii Play shooting demo. The TMP cursor is almost Elebits-like with no deadzone at all. Once you attache the stock, there is a bigger deadzone making it smooth.

Jokeropia

^
Yes. All the extras in both the GC and PS2 versions are included.
Lavpa Jasai said:
Does any one know where the rest of the shooting galleries are? I wanna make sure i get all the bottle caps.
Don't worry, they show up as blue dots on the map.

Jokeropia said:
^
Yes. All the extras in both the GC and PS2 versions are included.
Don't worry, they show up as blue dots on the map.

Haha unfortunately for me every time ive played ive never once looked at the map.

Jokeropia

Lavpa Jasai said:
Haha unfortunately for me every time ive played ive never once looked at the map.
Really? I do it religiously almost all the time to make sure I don't miss anything, or I at least did during my first few playthroughs.

itxaka

Defeatist
well, that´s the 6th time i complete resident evil 4 (4 on GC, 1 on PS2 and now 1 on wii) and i´m still all in love with it.

I´m looking to finish it for the second time on wii :D

This game is all sweetness

Chao

4uugoeo.jpg

Still today, those puddles are SO awesome. When I saw them the first time I was like "What the fuck, is that a photo? OMG no, it moves!".
Everytime I get to that section of the game I spent minutes just looking at that water, shooting at it and and stepping in it.

There you have next-gen! Capgod>>>> U

Obaid

Banned
one question:

is RE4 in your eyes more horror or more strategie game? I mean i feel no fear while playing the game but i always know how many bullets i have and count the number of shots i need for every enemy and sometimes i think up to a min about which weapon would fit best in this situation. Sometimes i even wish i could do more Metal gear like stuff in RE :lol what do you think?

Tenbatsu

Chao said:
4uugoeo.jpg

Still today, those puddles are SO awesome. When I saw them the first time I was like "What the fuck, is that a photo? OMG no, it moves!".
Everytime I get to that section of the game I spent minutes just looking at that water, shooting at it and and stepping in it.

There you have next-gen! Capgod>>>> U

The 2 fire at the entrance when fighting Krauser luks very nice 2!

Seriously, I think this game shld b the benchmark for Wii titles graphics, if not beta s the hardware is beta than gamecube. Enough of those crappy graphics from lazy developers.

I must say, this game looks pretty bad on my HDTV. I'll have to hook the Wii up to the SDTV if I want my eyes to remain intact while playing. Still one of my favourites though, I played the GC version non-stop until I finished it.

Tenbatsu

Obaid said:
one question:

is RE4 in your eyes more horror or more strategie game? I mean i feel no fear while playing the game but i always know how many bullets i have and count the number of shots i need for every enemy and sometimes i think up to a min about which weapon would fit best in this situation. Sometimes i even wish i could do more Metal gear like stuff in RE :lol what do you think?

I only feels the chill during the early portion of the game s ur inventory stock is quite low, which wil force u to do wateva necessary to stay alive. At the later part Leon became a killin machine. Still prefer Outbreak series though.

Aske

I finally tried out this game last night. Having played it to death on the PS2 I wasn't desperate to pick it up again, but better graphics and Wii control curiosity swayed me.

The controls rock. Hard. I'm renting the game, but I'd buy it again just for the pointer aiming. Much more immersive than using analogue, and even the waggle-reload and knife slashes feel fantastic. However, the graphics were a punch in the gut. I'm playing on an HDTV, but it handles SD gaming very well - every other Wii game besides Zelda has looked great. RE4 is a jaggy mess; so much so that it's a major barrier to my enjoyment of the game. And unlike Zelda, switching the Wii to 480i doesn't help mute the aliasing. I'm currently just past the farm, so I've yet to see the improved GC graphic effects. No puddles thusfar. But everything else looks much the same as PS2 version. Granted I'm not doing a side-by-side comparison, but given the hardware limitations I'm really appreciating how impressive that port was.

After about 90 minutes of play, I'm already convinced that the Wii edition is the definitive version of the game; and more importantly, I'm more sold on the Wii remote than ever. I can certainly live with last gen visuals if I'm experiencing this additional layer of interactivity - it's just a shame that Nintendo didn't give us a few more options to lubricate the handful of games with exceptionally jaggy graphics. The game is a great rental, but I'm sad to say the aliasing alone dissuades me from a purchase. RE4 PS2 looks amazing on my PS3. Not because of the upscaling - TV does an excellent job of that - but the smoothing is everything. I've yet to find a PS2 game in my library that doesn't look fantastic on my display after getting this treatment. It'd be useful if Nintendo could introduce a smoothing option for those of us who prefer to use it with HD displays. While I doubt it'll appear in a firmware update, I'm sure we'll see it with the inevitable HD-friendly revision of the hardware. That's when I'll truly fall in love with RE4 again.

Tab0203

Transparent wings and a cute face.

4ktmp12.jpg

6he2zvk.jpg

The ps2 version does not look the same.

I posted ps2 - gc pics two years ago in a comparison thread at beyond3d. (I used a gamecube video someone posted here and a ps2 video from Dot50Cal's site) The reaction at the lava room was: "It's like night and day!"

They cut many polygons, took out the lighting, downgraded texture resolution, particle and water effects, upgraded loading time (even switching weapons takes longer) and fucked up the sound quality for whatever reason. Not enough space due to the fmv-cutscenes? Also, framerate problems.

edit:

Tenbatsu said:
The 2 fire at the entrance when fighting Krauser luks very nice 2!

I'm reposting this because I also forgot the burning donkey kong barrels:

"The fire/particle effects (thanks to the programmers) are still some of the best in any game.

Random flame patterns (the torches in chapter 2.1), illuminated haze/fog around the fire at night , 6 or more different kinds of torches, oil-lamps, candles, chandelier, burning cabin, burning cop on a stake, campfire, fireplace/fireside, laser, incendiary granades, flamethrower (dragon) and lava.
I forgot the burning arrows, catapult fireballs and fire-eater ganados."

cvxfreak

Yeah, if the Wii controls aren't to your liking (the vast minority of Wii Edition owners) then certainly having all the PS2 extras with the GC quality visuals (and close to it for the PS2 extras) and audio would clinch it, especially at this price.

Lobster

Banned
Upto that big statue of that little midget guy..keep forgetting his name..Salazar??

Once again..out of ammo..way to go me :\

Amazing game so far..those chainsaw guys..damn em to hell..I really thought I'd be finished with them.

Just some impressions.

-Luis' death was weird..Leon screamed for him when he knew him for like..dunno an hour?
-LOL WHAT ASHLEE BOOB JIGGLE
-Midget Guys right hand part was freaky..just had to use a bazooka on him when he was covered in nitrogen..just felt right...I kind of wanted to go for a Terminator approach (as if that would work..)
-Its always great to have Ashlee of your back.
-LOL WHAT ASHLEE BOOB JIGGLE
-Mine cart sequence (getting sacrifice for Lion) was pretty cool especially making that final leap. Ducking and having the chainsaw guy killed by the low entry was pretty awesome.
-Shooting peeps while they're in mid-air is pretty cool.

I got one question too..

See these things that say "something can be inserted" or "used to be in something"...well something like that...do I really need them? I want to sell them :(

Taurus

Lobster said:
I got one question too..

See these things that say "something can be inserted" or "used to be in something"...well something like that...do I really need them? I want to sell them :(
You'll get better price for those things if you have the jewels/rubys inserted in them. It's like 5k with no jewels inserted, 10k with 1-2 inserted, 30k with all 3 inserted. Or something like that, can't remember precisely.

Lobster

Banned
Taurus said:
You'll get better price for those things if you have the jewels/rubys inserted in them. It's like 5k with no jewels inserted, 10k with 1-2 inserted, 30k with all 3 inserted. Or something like that, can't remember precisely.

Oh ok..so I don't need them..thats good..was holding on to them just incase..Didn't want to screw up the game.

hirokazu

Lobster said:
-Luis' death was weird..Leon screamed for him when he knew him for like..dunno an hour?

C'mon! Luis is way awesome!

Scrubking said:
Are you saying there is or there isn't? I've haven't paid too much attention, but I didn't see any jiggling when I played.

There is a fair amount of jiggle, but you usually won't notice unless you look for it. I only found out after someone linked to a video here.

evil ways

I already have the PS2 and GC versions, but would you say this is really worth buying a third time? I'm dying to try the Wii controls and $25 doesn't sound so bad especially since I only paid $18 for the PS2 version. Still.......with MP3 coming out soon, I'm not sure.

HugBasket

Banned
evil ways said:
I already have the PS2 and GC versions, but would you say this is really worth buying a third time? I'm dying to try the Wii controls and $25 doesn't sound so bad especially since I only paid $18 for the PS2 version. Still.......with MP3 coming out soon, I'm not sure.

If you have ever aimed using the GC or PS2 controllers in RE4 then the Wii version is a must.

0 HP

can you really hook a gcn controller up to the wii edition and play traditionally? i remember hearing you could when this game was first announced, but ever since it came out i haven't heard anything. id like to get rid of my ps2 edition for this one, but im not a gambling man.

0 HP said:
can you really hook a gcn controller up to the wii edition and play traditionally? i remember hearing you could when this game was first announced, but ever since it came out i haven't heard anything. id like to get rid of my ps2 edition for this one, but im not a gambling man.

Sure can.

Lobster

Banned
Just watched Saddler take away Ashlee from me which is great in my books. That whole bulldozer sequence was pretty cool but I found myself running out of bullets fast.

I can't believe I missed out on this game for a whole generation. This is the certain definition of awesome. If this game had multiplayer it would kick ass so much.

At the moment im fumbling with the idea to buy a magnum or not..I probably won't but the fire power is insanely high.

I was kind of dissapointed that when I used the infrared scope on Ashlee nothing really interesting showed up...I was hoping that bug thing would show.

Tenbatsu

cvxfreak said:
Supports the Classic Controller, too, and that's what the QTE buttons appear as on the screen.

Wii Remote controls are superior still.

QTE first appeared on SEGA Dreamcast Shenmue right if I remember correctly? Tats why wen RE4 announced QTE bak then I tot CAPCOM was copying ideas. Pls correct me if I m wrong.

Tenbatsu said:
QTE first appeared on SEGA Dreamcast Shenmue right if I remember correctly? Tats why wen RE4 announced QTE bak then I tot CAPCOM was copying ideas. Pls correct me if I m wrong.
What does that have to do with anything?

Who cares where the idea comes from as long as it's integrated well.

Damn... I need to buy this. I keep forgetting how great that game looks, thanks for the pics Tab. Best fire and water I've seen in 3D ever.

Tenbatsu

Thunder Monkey said:
What does that have to do with anything?

Who cares where the idea comes from as long as it's integrated well.

Damn... I need to buy this. I keep forgetting how great that game looks, thanks for the pics Tab. Best fire and water I've seen in 3D ever.

RE4 integrated it well, but Shenmue integreted it better in my opinion.

RE:4 did it much better. In Shenmue it was a lazy way to be cinematic without having to worry about making it fun. In RE:4 it stopped you from ignoring the game at any point during it's duration.

Tenbatsu said:
RE4 integrated it well, but Shenmue integreted it better.
I'm also a Shenmue lover, but believe me when I say RE4 did it better.

To be honest it's the best integration aside from God of War with QTE's. Sega pioneered it, but it wasn't as cohesive as it has been in other games.

gray_fox224

Scalpel Knight said:
I must say, this game looks pretty bad on my HDTV. I'll have to hook the Wii up to the SDTV if I want my eyes to remain intact while playing. Still one of my favourites though, I played the GC version non-stop until I finished it.

same here, I play it on a SD instead of my Sammy

Thunder Monkey said:
I'm also a Shenmue lover, but believe me when I say RE4 did it better.

To be honest it's the best integration aside from God of War with QTE's. Sega pioneered it, but it wasn't as cohesive as it has been in other games.

GoW's QTE implementation felt off because I'm in an action game - I want to kill enemies using the combos I built up, not mash a button at a certain point to see a cinematic attack play out.

Lobster

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:

I agree. Game looks amazing and should be the third party graphical benchmark for 07. I especially loved the sewers, the atmosphere is pulled off really well thanks to the awesome graphics.

Pureauthor said:
GoW's QTE implementation felt off because I'm in an action game - I want to kill enemies using the combos I built up, not mash a button at a certain point to see a cinematic attack play out.
Ehhh, for the most part it's still the best way of making a set of actions that otherwise would have been a cutscene playable in some form.

It's got it's uses, big bosses and over the top fighting that can't be pulled off in the standard game seems welcome to me, fights against the little guys it doesn't make sense.

Lobster said:
I agree. Game looks amazing and should be the third party graphical benchmark for 07. I especially loved the sewers, the atmosphere is pulled off really well thanks to the awesome graphics.
For the Wii it should have been the standard off the bat, but instead early GCN level seems to be all we get... well not all, for their foibles both Sonic and Monkey Ball look very good.

Lobster said:

The fire effects are still some of the best going around.

The particles, bump mapping and character models are also fantastic.

Tab0203

Alkaliine said:
The particles, bump mapping and character models are also fantastic.
But it's subtle, intelligent use of bump mapping and shader-like effects. Only boss characters and a few wet walls.

Don't forget soft-/self-shadowing (all realtime cutscenes. Soft shadows in many gameplay scenes (the Krauser QTEs area, the room with a fan where light is shining through, the room before the Krauser QTE fight), motion blur, depth of field (final intro scene: car drives away from the camera) and even per pixel lighting (posted at beyond3d, iirc. The puddle/water reflections? I could be wrong).

They should licence and/or develop more games with this engine.
Making it a benchmark for all 3rd parties is a little unfair imho.
Capcom Studio 4 had over four years to code those little pikmin TEVs into doing what we see in RE4. Lots of talent, time and money.

Thunder Monkey said:
You're welcome. In case you missed the earlier sets:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7163638&postcount=1942
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7170159&postcount=1957
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7220014&postcount=2035

Thunder Monkey said:
well not all, for their foibles both Sonic and Monkey Ball look very good.
Elebits looks pretty good for a launch window game.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6780093&postcount=221

hirokazu

Tab0203 said:
They should licence and/or develop more games with this engine.
Making it a benchmark for all 3rd parties is a little unfair imho.
Capcom Studio 4 had over four years to code those little pikmin TEVs into doing what we see in RE4. Lots of talent, time and money.

Well from the looks of it (mainly from the identical dithered look lol), Umbrella Chronicles uses the RE4 engine, so rejoice! :)

Top Bottom