• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game And Service Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The old Vita thread, included everything but the kitchen sink, but was just fine the way it was.

I only had to go to one thread for any Vita-related information, and, on top of that, it was the only safe-haven from the anti Vita trolls that are allowed to stalk freely within all other mildly Vita-related threads on GAF.

Dumb, dumb dumb...

That's the bummer about it for me. I don't mind having to go to many posts instead of one (though having one is obviously easier). It's just been a fact of life on these forums that every single Vita thread besides the megathread was absolutely overrun by trolls. Someone makes a thread announcing a game and then it's 20 posts of "doesn't matter anyway the vita is dead." I don't care if people think that, but reading it 20 times per page starts to drive ya effin mad, ya know? The megathread was filled with people who liked the vita - that's why it was so popular.

If the plan is create more strife on the boards than this decision will certainly do that. And I know the people who enjoy the vita aren't alone in this type of stuff. iOS threads other than their megathread are filled with "lol buttons." Wii-U threads are filled with "lol 6 year old hardware." The megathreads popped up to get away from that nonsense. If you're going to get rid of the megathreads than I humbly propose you crack down on that stuff as well.

Kazerei

Banned
Okay, I found Nirolak's post.

Can this thread just be the "Vita Game Reviews/Recommendations/Condemnations Thread"? Because I don't really see the point in having a PSN thread and a game review thread, when all Vita games are on PSN.

Maybe the OP could have a list of links to all the game OTs, as well as an upcoming games list.

zroid

Banned
Kass's weekly updates should just be the "PSN" threads. And stuff about the "service" might as well go in the hardware thread, imo, it's similar enough.

This should be the in-depth recommendation/reviews thread.

UberTag

Maybe the OP could have a list to all the game OTs, as well as an upcoming games list.
I have no qualms about prettying up the OP or even having it hijacked for a better one. There was that Vita release thread with lots of juicy screenshots, for instance.
I just threw the thread together with the generic release calendar for expediency's sake.

Toki767

Okay, I found Nirolak's post.

Can this thread just be the "Vita Game Reviews/Recommendations/Condemnations Thread"? Because I don't really see the point in having a PSN thread and a game review thread, when all Vita games are on PSN.

Maybe the OP could have a list to all the game OTs, as well as an upcoming games list.
I think they want a thread strictly for people to give reviews instead of them being buried inside threads where people get hyped about upcoming games.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Kass's weekly updates should just be the "PSN" threads. And stuff about the "service" might as well go in the hardware thread, imo, it's similar enough.

This should be the in-depth recommendation/reviews thread.
Not thanks. Watch the 3DS thread drop off the page by next week. Solely comparing/posting reviews isn't the kind of discussion I'm interested in.

I like the iOS and XBLA threads. Which where the same as the Vita thread.

I think they want a thread strictly for people to give reviews instead of them being buried inside threads where people get hyped about upcoming games.

But even then Niro's post said that these reviews should be in-depth. Which leads me to think that the thread would not support discussion.

Not thanks. Watch the 3DS thread drop off the page by next week. Solely comparing/posting reviews isn't the kind of discussion I'm interested in.

My point exactly.

Kazerei

Banned
I have no qualms about prettying up the OP or even having it hijacked for a better one. There was that Vita release thread with lots of juicy screenshots, for instance.
I just threw the thread together with the generic release calendar for expediency's sake.

It's understandable. Do what you like with the OP, we'll just keep discussing nothingness :p

I don't really know what the best way to organize the threads are, but I wouldn't mind if this thread covered past and future games. 'Cause next month, there'll be hardly any future games to talk about ... lol.

Skyzard

Banned
^ For the new thread: hoping to be preoccupied with NFSMW, AC and probably SFxT and SMB for a while. S&S:RT after that, then Sly Cooper (who is pretty awesome in that beta btw (well, I love his stealth walk!))...SS...Killzone Mercs..Tearaway and if Sega is willing JSR -__- Those Oddworld games were looking pretty good too but let's wait to see what else is coming (probably GR2..) but I'm really hoping for a superhero type game..

Most of the games I buy are really replayable and in a month or so I'll be able to have a much better circulation of vita games.

[wishful thinking]I know we're getting a decent amount of racing stuff already and could do with some other genres...but I'd love a full on motorstorm down the line too. Tony Hawk..or better :p SSX. GTA down the line... [/try not to get too excited]

I like the iOS and XBLA threads. Which where the same as the Vita thread.

We still could do with a thread like that. Once we have some great review posts..if we start it now and leave it bare and it will be trolled..

I suggest we just go on treated this as a slightly more strict vita thread and see how it goes. There's not point going on about it tbh.

Carl

Someone make a forum entirely for Vitabros.

Anyway, what were we talking about before we were so rudely interrupted by a locked thread and all of this confusing bullshit?

Skyzard

Banned
6a00d83452033569e20120a5c8e0d3970c-800wi

;) (vita thread in bottom right corner) ..well, it doesn't seem so bad but I guess this is still adjustment, but maybe not (Carl's point).

Carl

why all these new vita threads?? what happened to the usual thread?

Not allowed one thread for everything now.

So instead we have one for hardware (which no one will use) and one for games (which will turn into a thread for everything)

Are we going to make a review thread btw? I'd be interested in writing a couple of short reviews, it would be good practise for me.

Skyzard

Banned
Are we going to make a review thread btw? I'd be interested in writing a couple of short reviews, it would be good practise for me.

I think we should, but the op should take a lot of work to maintain....might need a good system for posting the reviews and links to them as well. Might get trolled if we post another thread now as well with all these new threads which would be bad since it should be a good go-to thread... Especially if it's not a proper one.

metalshade

What happened to our thread bros? I think the mods saw how happy we all were in our safe haven, and decided they had to stage an intervention. "Hey, those guys are loving their Vitas, we had best do something to break it up, everyone knows the Vita is dead, they just havent caught on yet, we have got to save them from themselves!"
*sigh*
I better make this on topic, I am really interested in playing nfs mw and wrc on my Vita, even thoigh I havent played a racing game for the last 7 years or so. The Vita has me trying out things I would never normally be intersted in, even if its just to see them on this lovely screen (oh wait, does that comment belong in the Vita hardware thread, I cant tell.)
Seriously though, I want my tag to read "never knowingly on topic."
*grumpy*

VanWinkle

I just don't like this whole multiple threads thing. We won't have our whole VitaGAF community coming to every single one of them, and it's just breaking up and fragmenting the community that's built up over the past 8 or so months. It's frustrating.

Oh, and I'm excited for NFS MW and AC3L.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The Mods wanted random info to be easier to use, it seems.

So having 6 (exaggeration?) threads for everything Vita, while being a mess, will achieve that.

For example, even if the Hardware thread only gets used for the random question of "What's the best grip?" or "What memory card should I use?", it'll still be easier to find all the relevant info on a page or 3 of that thread, rather than the 200+ pages of the old Super Vitabros Brawl thread.

I'm just glad there is still a way to make an "umbrella" thread, instead of having to make a "LTTP" for every random Vita game you MIGHT wanna talk about, or needing to make a thread for every Vita-compatable PSN game that releases (HAY GUYS! LETS TALK ABOUT THE NEW BREAKQUEST! -dead in 4 post-)

Pinky Spots still makes me want a Technic Beat Vita, btw. I seem to enjoy Arika's random games (like getting to play Jewelry Master Twinkle on XBLIG!)... wonder if they're working on ANYTHING Vita?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I think we should, but the op should take a lot of work to maintain....
Just create uniform hash tags for games and users and make people search it that way.

#LittleBigPlanetVita #AssassinsCreedLiberation

Slap one above your review. Done.

Skyzard

Banned
^ wouldn't they have to search through each page ? the post aren't displayed all that nicely through the search feature either..

Hmmm. What would need to be in the OP do you think?

I'm not sure...but something like organising (and maintaining) a list of the games alphabetically and formatting it to have space for links to reviews for the game. Someone in the 3DS thread mentioned something about having +/- which links to the review (depending if it was generally positive or negative). Although might be better to just give a number out of 5 or something or actually just link to the reviews might be smart. Can do it by name...but will be a bit hard to imagine and sort out without many example posts...

I can imagine there won't be a review for every game etc. But you know, it might be ok to be displayed like that - people see a game in the list which is missing a review and write one up..? It will be a long list though..and end up more for reference then inspiration.. + or / or - might not be a bad idea or a uniform rank scheme which may be slightly more useful. You'd go down the list and spot where a game has like a whole bunch of 4 or 5*

Carl

I better make this on topic, I am really interested in playing nfs mw and wrc on my Vita, even thoigh I havent played a racing game for the last 7 years or so. The Vita has me trying out things I would never normally be intersted in, even if its just to see them on this lovely screen (oh wait, does that comment belong in the Vita hardware thread, I cant tell.)

Same here really. Not a fan of racing games but really looking forward to NFS :)

For example, even if the Hardware thread only gets used for the random question of "What's the best grip?" or "What memory card should I use?", it'll still be easier to find all the relevant info on a page or 3 of that thread, rather than the 200+ pages of the old Super Vitabros Brawl thread.

Except no one will do that. If they see this thread near the top they'll just ask here. Especially if they're new members.

I'm not sure...but something like organising (and maintaining) a list of the games alphabetically and formatting it to have space for links to reviews for the game. Someone in the 3DS thread mentioned something about having +/- which links to the review (depending if it was generally positive or negative). Although might be better to just give a number out of 5 or something or actually just link to the reviews might be smart. Can do it by name...but will be a bit hard to imagine and sort out without many example posts...

I can imagine there won't be a review for every game etc. But you know, it might be ok like that - people see a missing review and write one up?

Ya that sounds like a hell of a lot of work. I feel like it may may be better to have a google doc database or something similar linked in the OP, and the thread creator simply adds posted reviews to the relevant game.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Except no one will do that. If they see this thread near the top they'll just ask here. Especially if they're new members.

Mods seem to think they will!

Remember, I LIKE the Megathread idea, so I agree. But one has to figure out the best way to deal and work within the boundaries and situations given to them, in times like this.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Almost every single Vita game thread is filled with...nothing but discussion about the game, so I don't get why the insulated Vita community thread would be insulted by that.

Every single thread about the harsh reality of Sony's plight about the system (Overly optimistic quotes by Sony spokespeople, any thread related to the terrible outlook of the Vita thread) is in fact full of posts upon posts either joking or deadly serious about how messed up this situation is. Overly defensive people will see a post talking about no games when they simply mean no major system sellers or no games when someone was talking about the summer drought of Vita releases.

Skyzard

Banned
Ya that sounds like a hell of a lot of work. I feel like it may may be better to have a google doc database or something similar linked in the OP, and the thread creator simply adds posted reviews to the relevant game.

It won't be too bad, just needs to be a little organised.. but the maintenance may end up being a bit of work yeah.. google doc database sounds good but i'm not sure for the formatting etc..might look messy and hard to read. Would be easier for people to update though..true..not sure really, decent idea yeah.

People will probably just ask here and not want to read anything too detailed in an old thread though as it's not like there aren't reviews out there for the games..

where'd that jet set radio date come from? (October 30th?)

Where? edit - oh yeah in the OP. :S

Yeah this is really lame and now news is going to be everywhere, there's going to be a thread for everything, and while I understand they want people to not have to sift through pages upon pages I just think they're jealous of how active the Vita community is :p Now we'll have to make an OT for every Vita game ever made.

You could say the same with the gay thread and other community "megathreads" but nope... :/

Hey now, don't say mean things about us gays ;p

My knowledge in that case is that it's a goodwill gesture on behalf of the mods to show they are kind to communities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom