• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cabin in The Woods - April 13th - Best horror film in years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Zombie

and I have no clue why this is labeled horror(you know, scary stuff is supposed to happen)

If that was a requirement to put a movie into the "horror" genre, I don't think most horror movies from recent years would belong to the genre. "Cabin in the wood" is basically a slasher. The only thing that different it from other slasher movies is that it is aware of all the cliches it is using. If you remove underground lab scenes from the first 2/3 of the movie you're left with an ordinary teen slasher made by the book.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Watched it earlier this week because of the hype (and GAF hype) and really didnt enjoy it that much.

I got what they were trying to do with the film but I just thought it was handled the wrong way. Bad pacing, empty dialogue and the film even falling into some of the tropes and memes it tries to destroy. It wasn't that entertaining at all.

Still interesting though.

I spent far too long trying to make this:
iXhUg1p9yjAJL.gif

Huge file though but whatever, I'm a gif noob so it'll probably take me another hour just to get the file size right.

Dude! Thanks! I just remembered to check back on this! Way better! :D

Almost everyone I knew recommend it to me very highly.

It didn't feel like it delivered on either the horror or comedy aspect. It was neither scary, atmospheric, or funny. It wasn't enjoyable like an Evil Dead or Dead Alive. It was just annoying, throwaway characters.

I did not enjoy it at all.

Except
Hemsworth's death.
That shit was hilarious.

Finally saw this last night. I wasn't expecting to "get" the movie completely, since I'm not very well-versed in horror tropes, but I fucking loved it and understood it 100%. The filmmakers' exasperation with the genre comes across beautifully, but it also never feels pretentious or over-concerned. Probably my second favorite movie this year, after Moonrise Kingdom.

coldvein

Banned
Finally saw this last night. I wasn't expecting to "get" the movie completely, since I'm not very well-versed in horror tropes, but I fucking loved it and understood it 100%. The filmmakers' exasperation with the genre comes across beautifully, but it also never feels pretentious or over-concerned. Probably my second favorite movie this year, after Moonrise Kingdom.

now that i think of it, cabin and moonrise kingdom are probably my top 2 also. then maybe the master.

Finally got around to watching it. A fun film, with an interesting premise. I think it either needed to be more serious or more silly. Seemed to not quite work for me with the actual plot. But fun none the less.

Watched last night, same feelings. I was sort of disappointed it wasn't actually scary at all. It was fun for sure, just not what I expected which left mixed feelings.

now that i think of it, cabin and moonrise kingdom are probably my top 2 also. then maybe the master.

I'm expecting my list to look a bit different once I've seen this fall's crop of movies (still haven't seen Looper or The Master :/), but maybe not.

Didn't feel like a horror movie to me. And the ending was stupid. I guess I was expecting something different, had I gone into it knowing the premise maybe I'd have enjoyed it more, but as a horror? Not good.

Yeah, I don't really view it as a horror movie.

Now that Whedon and Goddard have given their critique of the genre, I'm interested in seeing what their ideal horror movie would look like. I suppose that's hard to imagine, since Whedon's works are mostly built around tearing down existing conventions and Goddard wrote Cloverfield, but still.

Almost everyone I knew recommend it to me very highly.

It didn't feel like it delivered on either the horror or comedy aspect. It was neither scary, atmospheric, or funny. It wasn't enjoyable like an Evil Dead or Dead Alive. It was just annoying, throwaway characters.

I did not enjoy it at all.

Except
Hemsworth's death.
That shit was hilarious.

I'm no longer visiting you at Cons.

Prepare for war.

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
I just finished it. Bought it on a whim yesterday. I liked it. I didn't buy it expecting a masterpiece. I bought it for entertainment and it was entertaining. Now I want to watch Cube again.

Finally saw this movie after reading a lot of positive reviews and............. what the cheesy hell did I just watch?

I get the premise, but the characters sucked outside of the stoner, the pacing was mediocre, and I have no clue why this is labeled horror(you know, scary stuff is supposed to happen). Extremely disappointed in what I thought was going to be a very interesting movie, at least from reviews.

I wonder if you liked the stoner the most because he was the
only one not influenced to become more like the cliched characters they needed to be for the sacrifice?

Watched it earlier this week because of the hype (and GAF hype) and really didnt enjoy it that much.

I got what they were trying to do with the film but I just thought it was handled the wrong way. Bad pacing, empty dialogue and the film even falling into some of the tropes and memes it tries to destroy. It wasn't that entertaining at all.

Still interesting though.

I am 99% sure most of these were intentional. Any examples you remember from the film? Just curious.

VALIS

Finally got around to watching it. A fun film, with an interesting premise. I think it either needed to be more serious or more silly. Seemed to not quite work for me with the actual plot. But fun none the less.

Saw it yesterday, pretty much the same opinion. Fun. I enjoyed it. Quite a few notches below the great work of art some are calling it, but still, it was OK, better than your average Hollywood film.

Fuck this film for explaining EVERYTHING like I'm a moron.

It's not trying to be vague. That was one of the points of the film. It wouldn't make sense if everything was mysterious. It was a deconstruction of the horror genre in a humorous light.

It's not bad writing just because it doesn't follow convention.

Had fun with this.
Went into it only knowing three things: #1. Thor is in it. #2. Joss Whedon had something to do with it. #3. Cool/strange poster for it.

Really liked the idea and the end was highly entertaining.

The Merman part with "Oh you gotta be kidding me" had me laughing my ass off.

I hope they release all of the creature designs for viewing pleasure somehow/someway. :D

Finally got around to watching it this weekend. Overall I think I liked it, but it could've been better. The comedy works really well, fun dialogue, but the horror feels lacking. Yes there's plenty of gore, but the actual monsters and kills just seem dull. Also the ending felt bloated and without focus.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Always happy to see this thread bumped!

For those who've just seen this and enjoyed it, check out this bigass link-filled post I made after watching it and spending the next day on TVTropes. Depending on your level of genre-attunement you might get a lot out of it as I did. :)

Gomu Gomu

Just finished watching it. First of all I would like to thanks to the OP for the heads up:
avoid ANYTHING media related for the film before seeing it
I avoided every thing related to the movie since the I knew about it from this thread. So I came into it not sure what to expect. But goddamn did it leave satisfied. It was a super fun ride from start to finish. The premise was fucking brilliant.

jasonng

I just finished it. Bought it on a whim yesterday. I liked it. I didn't buy it expecting a masterpiece. I bought it for entertainment and it was entertaining. Now I want to watch Cube again.

Just finished watching it and I feel the same way. Cube was such a great movie.

Gaf definitely overhyped this one. It masks itself as a dumb teen horror movie then it becomes something more but it never gets there. It was a fun ride nonetheless.

Kuroyume

Banned
Really damn good movie. Reminds me of Drag Me to Hell in that it has its creepy moments but also comedic parts.
I thought the idea of these departments drugging people, monitoring them, treating them like lab rats, and betting on how they would die was disturbing/creepy.
That was offset by the comedy in the control center.
Favorite part in the movie was when the chick started to scream while in the elevator and that huge ass fucking spider was right next to her.
If only she knew.... Terrifying. I wish some of the monsters didn't look as goofy, but I guess that was kind of the point.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finally got around to seeing it. Absolutely loved it, and possibly my favourite film of 2012.

I mean, it's just so ludicrously self aware and deliberate with every character trope, scene, shot, and line of dialogue that it really is the perfect "love/hate letter" to the horror/slasher genre. It's smart in how deliberately stupid it is, and was clearly made by people who knew exactly what they were doing.

Man, just watched this tonight, so fucking good. Didn't expect that at all.

Kinda didn't like the ending, though. Well, I liked the ending, I just didn't like
Marty "surviving" so to speak.

One thought I had is once we got to see all those
creatures in the elevators, is how awesome it would have been if ANY others would have been picked besides.... zombies, again. So many great monsters/characters there.

Also, it seems like they've blocked themselves out of being able to do a
sequel, but I really hope we get a sequel that's a prequel. Maybe set in the 70's or something.

Man, just watched this tonight, so fucking good. Didn't expect that at all.

Kinda didn't like the ending, though. Well, I liked the ending, I just didn't like
Marty "surviving" so to speak.

One thought I had is once we got to see all those
creatures in the elevators, is how awesome it would have been if ANY others would have been picked besides.... zombies, again. So many great monsters/characters there.

Also, it seems like they've blocked themselves out of being able to do a
sequel, but I really hope we get a sequel that's a prequel. Maybe set in the 70's or something.

There are two possible stories I want if there is another one:

1:
How did they capture and contain all the monsters.

2:
Show that one year where it almost failed. They mentioned it a few times.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

1:

2:

That second one would probably be heartbreaking. But I'd watch the hell out of it

Melchiah

1:

2:

I like the latter, as it implies that
all the characters will be killed
, which is always a good thing in horror movies, even if they're more comedies than horror.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom