• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade coming to the U.S. via Gamestop Exclusive (also avail on Nintendo.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadbeat

Banned
Since most people that wanted the game just imported it the NA sales will be really low. NoA will use this as an excuse to not import anything else.

Just buy it from NoE and let NoA burn. Dont give them anything.

ultron87

Any word on if this is just an import or an actual US release. I recall EB doing the same thing years back with Shenmue 2 for Dreamcast if I'm not mistaken it was the European version.

I can't really imagine Gamestop selling a game in stores that doesn't play in a US Wii without tinkering.

MarkusRJR

Ummm... what? I'm super excited... but seriously what the fuck?

Nintendo could have been put in a good light if they announced this back when everyone was all up in arms about it. Everyone was super pissed with them about the lack of Wii games, the 3DS launch, etc. and they could have just announced this and it would have pleased some of the angry fans. But of course it makes more sense to wait half a year while NoA becomes a laughing stock in the gaming community and THEN announce it. NoA is truly the worst.

If this is a fake then heads will roll.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
LOL I just ordered the import yesterday. Classic timing

HURRY UP AND IMPORT MOTHER 3!

I hope you Americalanders enjoy the game! It's easiest one of the best RPGs I've played in my entire gaming career. Of course, that's if this is real.

Effect

Since most people that wanted the game just imported it the NA sales will be really low. NoA will use this as an excuse to not import anything else.

Hard to say how many imported. I doubt it was a significant amount to be honest. You also have to factor in how many people that would buy a game just by looking at it in the store. I'm sure there are people that simply couldn't be bothered to import either.

Phenomic

I now regret buying the PAL version. :(

Why? You got to play it half a year early and you have a copy that will probably be worth more in the long run. I'm just torn if I should sell my copy and get an American version or something. I mean I assume it's the PAL version with the region protection cut out. I doubt they did a complete re-voice of the game.

Also, I wonder what this means for Last Story and Pandora's Tower. (Obviously any of this only applies if this ends up being true.)

alf717

I can't really imagine Gamestop selling a game in stores that doesn't play in a US Wii without tinkering.

Ah yes yes good point. Still the Shenmue 2 from EB game did come with a "boot" disc". Either way this is interesting and of course good news.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Fuck, I want this game but I don't like this trend. We've gone from horrible exclusive pre-order content to now exclusive whole games? What's next, Xbox Infinity Gamestop exclusive?
A retailer exclusive might have been the only way this game was going to be released, I'm sorry but that's the reality of it.

Orayn

4puz1.jpg

THANK YOU BASED WHATEVER!

Luigiv

The game is terrible why would anybody want to buy it? Reggie should cancel this.

Really? Let me check what you wrote in your review then, I want to hear more...

A deep breath of fresh air for an arguably stagnant genre, Xenoblade Chronicles is essential gaming for anybody with a flavour for role playing. It represents the absolute best of what traditional Japanese RPGs could be, and triumphantly what Japanese RPGs should be. 9.5/10
link

... Wow you really ripped into it, that sounds terrible. :(

Guess you're right, Reggies lost it. I can't believe he's asking NA gamers to waste their money on this shit.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...

Those two statements make no sense together.

"Hey, person who wants games localized in your region: Low sales for this will probably result in less games being localized in your region.

So you should probably not support it."

creid

I'm so goddamned excited. Haven't gotten to play my import copy yet, so I will probably wait for this.

Also, question to those who imported the game: Would you buy the US version just to support it?
Absolutely. Might even buy a copy for every Wii owner I know.

From my experience, retailer exclusive games are a result of very low sales expectations. In exchange for the game being retailer exclusive, the retailer will do some extra marketing to boost sales a bit. Off the top of my head:

- Eggs of Steel from Atlus, GS exclusive
- Chibi Robo DS, Walmart exclusive
- some 3rd-party sequel on a Nintendo system that is escaping me for the moment = Mega Man Star Force Dragon (thanks to EvilMario for jogging my memory)
- Chulip

Xenoblade's sales expectations really shouldn't be so low, but this is the Wii in mid-2012.

FreeMufasa

This might be for the best actually. Individually, NA and EU sales (for these type of games) must be low. But when added together it should be pretty decent. Atleast in that case, we'll always have games published in one English region for the rest to import.

TunaLover

I hope it's not so hard to get once launched, It's really nice that I will able to play it on WiiU, I really don't care if this have the british dubs.

Why? You got to play it half a year early and you have a copy that will probably be worth more in the long run. I'm just torn if I should sell my copy and get an American version or something. I mean I assume it's the PAL version with the region protection cut out. I doubt they did a complete re-voice of the game.

Also, I wonder what this means for Last Story and Pandora's Tower. (Obviously any of this only applies if this ends up being true.)

They'll be cancelled after Xenoblade bombas due to everyone who wanted it already having imported it.

Yes Boss!

Hard to say how many imported. I doubt it was a significant amount to be honest. You also have to factor in how many people that would buy a game just by looking at it in the store. I'm sure there are people that simply couldn't be bothered to import either.
This is true.

I buy pretty much every Nintendo release but I still have not gotten the import Xenoblade. Would much rather have an official NA release.

daebo

If true, awesome news.

I literally was looking at the mod page yesterday looking how to hack the Wii so I could import this. Now, if true, I don't have to mess with any of that and just buy it Day 1.

creid

I would think that if NOA was doing a Shenmue II-esque situation and selling the Euro version along with some region block-avoiding method, they wouldn't be waiting until 4 months from now to release it. Software sales ain't gonna be getting any better.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Reality Check: The amount of people that imported is a very, very, very small number in the grand scheme of things.

thefro

Good news for sure.

Of course I'll have to pay more to Gamestop than I did to ASDA for my import copy + free shipping, but that's the goofiness of exchange rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom