• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade coming to the U.S. via Gamestop Exclusive (also avail on Nintendo.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDaravon

Goddamn it, I knew I should have made my wife hold off on importing it. At least she got a million hours out of it and beat it already. But yeah, I wonder what kind of audience is there for this thing at this point. If they had gotten it out when it hit Europe it would have been brilliant.

MechaX

No Steve Blum as Dunban, no sale!
This is only partially a joke. I would actually really like Steve Blum as Dunban if they did an Americanese dub.

Even though there are a few characters that I can see Steve Blum matching pretty well, Dunban's current voice is so perfect that I cannot unhear it no matter how hard I try. "BORN IN A WORLD OF STRIFE..."

Don't forget Troy Baker, Michele Ruff, and

thumbnail.aspx

Blagh.

george_us

It is considering there's been more than a few I'd rank above CT. Nostalgia and such doesn't hold as much weight with me on CT. I love that game like everyone else but it's been surpassed in different ways by other games.
I didn't even play CT for the first time until 2009 and it's the second best RPG I've played this generation below Dark Souls. If Dark Souls hadn't come out then CT would tower over ever RPG I've played this generation.

Orayn

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OPERATION RAINFALL WAS A SUCCESS AFTER ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW! NOA aren't complete shitbags after all! Pigs flying, sky falling, cats and dogs living together!

It might be some bizarro version of the Demon's Souls / Atlus situation where NoA thought it wouldn't sell, so Gamestop volunteered to foot the bill in case of a bomba.

Even though there are a few characters that I can see Steve Blum matching pretty well, Dunban's current voice is so perfect that I cannot unhear it no matter how hard I try. "BORN IN A WORLD OF STRIFE..."

Oh, absolutely. Dunban's VA is easily my favorite of the entire dub.

I wonder if save files will work across regions. Probably not. Good thing I stopped playing months ago because of the pacing issues. I'll probably buy it again, I guess. Good to see this situation resolved in a way that makes everyone (except militant Gamestop-haters) happy.

Also, while they probably won't relocalize it because of cost, I really hope they do. The British dub is not great, and the translation isn't up to Treehouse standards.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Pretty much. Its better to add a few thousand to the euro pool than it be its own region.
I don't think you've been paying much attention to how sales in the videogame industry are read.

The first month or two of sales are all that "count" to most publishers on niche games like this. The only way NoE would take notice of Xenoblade's sales months after release is if there was a spike in demand so large that retail channels of existing copies were drained and they had to do a reprint. Which is totally out of the realm of possibility.

Paracelsus

Goddamn it, I knew I should have made my wife hold off on importing it. At least she got a million hours out of it and beat it already. But yeah, I wonder what kind of audience is there for this thing at this point. If they had gotten it out when it hit Europe it would have been brilliant.

The first quarter of 2012 is a good quarter for homeconsole Jrpg players, there are at least four titles worth checking out, my guess is that NoA tried to capitalize on that effort.

I swear to god if they so much as think of messing with that masterful British dub I am going to fly to the US and punch Reggie in the mouth personally!

I wonder if save files will work across regions. Probably not. Good thing I stopped playing months ago because of the pacing issues. I'll probably buy it again, I guess. Good to see this situation resolved in a way that makes everyone (except militant Gamestop-haters) happy.

Also, while they probably won't relocalize it because of cost, I really hope they do. The British dub is not great, and the translation isn't up to Treehouse standards.

131775505175.gif

ataboada

Still haven't played my Italian copy of the game because I haven't installed the homebrew software on my Wii... ugh.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I'm glad it's coming, but I'm also glad I imported it from the UK so I don't have to give Gamestop any money.
ATTENTION PEOPLE WHO KEEP POSTING DUMB SHIT LIKE THIS.

Buying a NEW GAME at GameStop gives them ALMOST NO MONEY.

This is actually worse than fucking system warrior bullshit.

Nope! It's certainly possible to have all those opinions about Xenoblade. You'd be *wrong* to, of course, but they're not fundamentally invalid.

No, the combat in Xenoblade does not involve mashing buttons. His post was factually incorrect.

What don't you like about it? I thought it was really well done and a refreshing change. The way the characters go about their banter during batlle is great.

Meier

Gamestop wants to make their share.

I seriously doubt Nintendo is selling copies to them at a discount so I don't see how this is relevant to the cost of distribution.

If there is any sort of advertising campaign attached to this, it will do fine. I'm sure that many people who imported it will buy it again too as a showing of support. I know I probably will.

jmdajr

I should give this game more attention....

I feel like I've fallen off the JRPG bus after FF13..

is this like the 2nd coming of Xenogears?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Nope! It's certainly possible to have all those opinions about Xenoblade. You'd be *wrong* to, of course, but they're not fundamentally invalid.

Stating that the combat system is button mashing is invalid. It's like saying Mario 3D Land is a great first person shooter. Your opinion can be wrong when you're stating something as fact that is invariably untrue.

qq more

Indeed. Gamestop advertises their used games for a reason. (And also why they give you little money for trading in games...)

Orayn

Pretty much, yes. I pulled the trigger and imported, and Xenoblade managed to avoid nearly everything I hate about JRPGs and exceed my expectations in a big way.

MechaX

I might be acting entirely as a smart ass at this point, but saying "almost no money" still means that they get some money when people don't want to give GameStop any money.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Indeed. Gamestop advertises their used games for a reason.
Their money comes from selling used game (obviously), accessories, memberships, magazine and strategy guides.

New games get people into their stores to buy that stuff, but they literally make CENTS off of a sale of a new game.

If you don't want to support GameStop, that's FINE. Go in, buy a NEW copy of Xenoblade Chronicles and NOTHING ELSE.

You have bought an awesome game, shown support for core, niche games on Wii and still given GameStop no money.

It's the best traditional RPG since Chrono Trigger. It rubs every single traditional RPG released in the last 16 years and rubs their faces in the dirt.

To say that you yanks are in for a treat is the understatement of the year.

"The best RPG on a console since Chrono Trigger."

That's some mighty big praise.

And worth every single word of it. You guys have no idea...

Phenomic

Is it true this game is getting an American English re-dub?

People just speculating (or wishful thinking) I honestly doubt they would go that far for one retailer. Unless Gamestop really wanted to fit the bill and lost more money than they needed too. There's nothing wrong with the voices as they are now.

Nintendo owns Monolithsoft. Won't be a PS3 game.

Also that was the joke. It's unbelievable that a Nintendo 1st party would end up on a competitors console... let alone released in America.

siaoliao

Neo Member
Great news if true. I'm not sure I'd purchase it since I already imported it, though if it were bundled with the controller I'd be more likely to and just gift the game to someone else.

ultron87

I might be acting entirely as a smart ass at this point, but saying "almost no money" still means that they get some money when people don't want to give GameStop any money.

They get some money that tells that them that there are people interested in buying niche games that haven't been brought over to their region. Theoretically said money could lead to more such games being brought over.

That seems like a good thing to me.

Alex

What mods did you install to eliminate art cool-down and auto attack, I must know

The Cool downs make it less mashy? How so, considering most of em are short duration and you just pop down the list firing off whatever you can. It's fully mindless and in a way that invalidates so much of the rather tedious character management. (they have good ideas for subsystems that make biowares talent trees and bad itemization in latter days look brilliant) They had basic ideas and just didn't follow through, Gem Crafting alone speaks for that

Balance is my one key annoyance in pretty much every piece, they had clearly played MMOs and open world games, knew what they wanted but just didn't have the chops or play testing to temper it. I mean If you even glance at the extra circular elements you become outrageously strong and very little outside of stray gimmicks will require any thought or actual use of its big positioning system which is just depressing. Heck even with an exp removal hack on side quests you still wind up bowling everything over.

I did REALLY like it the first ten hours or so, though, to be fair and I don't hate the game at all I enjoyed it, i think they wouls have a good thing going if they could pull the numbers together and hit whoever handled the quest system and it's UI with a wiffle ball bat. World is pretty, but without the quests, (which are pretty much agony, talking FFXIV quality, decade old clunk) its just wallpaper and an open world is hardly a novelty despite the somewhat confusing gushing about it.

I hope they get to make a 2 and put some lessons into it. Co-op xenobladd 2 on the wii u with tuned up math? That'd be worth the praise.

MechaX

Is it true this game is getting an American English re-dub?

We don't even know if this announcement in of itself is 100% true yet.

But it's possible that it could get a re-dub, but April 2012 would be a pretty quick turnaround for a game that has such a massive amount of voice work as this one (unless NoA has been stealth localizing it all along, which would give rise to the question on why they couldn't have just stated such to eliminate a lot of the Operation Rainfall heat).

kodt

Banned

Well if you want NOA to keep thinking that games like Xenoblade aren't worth releasing in the US then go ahead and "boycot" it. Gamestop is doing just fine, if a few angry nerds on a a gaming forum decide not to shop there it is not going to have any negative effect. Most of the money is going straight to the publisher anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom