• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

So I finally opened my copy and played this after having received my New Nintendo 3DS a few days back. It looks good on the 3DS screen. I don't have any complaints and I'm playing it with the 3D on for a different experience. The controls aren't as comfortable as using the Wii Classic Controller Pro, unfortunately, but it suffices. My biggest complain is the lack of Japanese voice acting. I played through the Wii version in Japanese and I'm already missing the voices. Because of that, I'm not sure if I want to play through this version if I do a replay. Part of me wants to just to unlock the collection stuff, which is cool. But perhaps the best way to replay would be via the Wii U virtual console version. Then again, I'm not sure if I'll even have the time since Fatal Frame is almost due and Xenoblade X is coming up in early December.

Lombax

Banned
Started planing this on the train this morning. I am really looking forward to curling up with a good RPG for autumn / winter.

Started playing this today. I rarely play jrpg's (the last one I played, liked and finished was Chrono Trigger) so I hope this one is kinda newbie friendly. The battle system hasn't really clicked with me yet, but maybe it will later.

Hollycat

So, I was looking at the 3d in monster hunter 4 and thought it was incredible, I was wondering how the 3d in Xenoblade 3d compares?

I'm on the fence about getting it because it doesnt look like it plays like normal rpgs.

Dingens

So, I was looking at the 3d in monster hunter 4 and thought it was incredible, I was wondering how the 3d in Xenoblade 3d compares?

I'm on the fence about getting it because it doesnt look like it plays like normal rpgs.

It's got pretty damn good 3D.

3d as in stereoscopic 3d? because there is hardly any...

what do you mean with "normal rpgs"? seemed pretty normal to me...

Goddamn Riki's English voice is aggravating. Thankfully, he isn't in a lot of scenes.

he'll grow on you ower time. because hero-pon very cool

Hollycat

3d as in stereoscopic 3d? because there is hardly any...

what do you mean with "normal rpgs"? seemed pretty normal to me...

l

I'm not even sure what I mean by normal. I'm used to KH, FF, and Western RPG's. I've only watched a few vids of xenoblade and it looked different(?) Maybe I should have watched more.

And I hope I'm misunderstanding on the 3d. Because the MH4U 3d is so incredible. I'd buy that but I know I don't like monster hunter gameplay so I thought I'd give xenoblade a chance.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I love Xenoblade, but the 3D in the 3DS version is barely noticeable. It's basically a single layer and doesn't come across as well done, or impressive at all.

Wasn't a huge fan of the 3D at all. I only really liked this port because it was on handheld. I've had issues with 3D on both my old XL and my "new" XL. Probably because the resolution is so low and the screen is so big.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Seconding the user who had 3D on full blast the whole time; both playthroughs for me.

It adds some small depth to the actual game graphics, about as much as Smash 3DS outside of that game's trophies really. However, the HUD and subtitles being in front is the only use of really aggressive 3D ala what was all the rage in 2011 though.

You should definitely buy Xenoblade, better to enjoy an amazing game with shallow 3D than try to enjoy Monster Hunter which you don't like.

Dingens

I'm not even sure what I mean by normal. I'm used to KH, FF, and Western RPG's. I've only watched a few vids of xenoblade and it looked different(?) Maybe I should have watched more.

And I hope I'm misunderstanding on the 3d. Because the MH4U 3d is so incredible. I'd buy that but I know I don't like monster hunter gameplay so I thought I'd give xenoblade a chance.

Videos aren't a good indicator imo, as gameplay tends to look way more complicated than it actually is. when I say gameplay, I ofc refer to battles primarily. Granted some people beat the whole game without really getting into the battle systems, but those who do will have a blast. But don't be discouraged if it doesn't click for you the first 10 to 20 hours. the game is quite overwhelming initially, so give it (and yourself) some time to get used to it.

[...]
You should definitely buy Xenoblade, better to enjoy an amazing game with shallow 3D than try to enjoy Monster Hunter which you don't like.

nothing to add (although you should also get MH4G because it's amazing)

Hollycat

Whelp. Ordered my copy, and the USPS delivered it to the wrong address. Poop.

Sorry. Double post. Throw the pillows of anger at me.

Firemind

Ugh, leveling up affinities between characters is soooooo pedestrian. I don't really want to change parties every time I complete quests and the unique on one of Eryth Sea's islands is level 80 something. D:

And raising the affinity of towns to get fourth skill trees D:

On a more positive note, Melia kicks ass! Now to get Starlight Kick and falcon kick dem fools.

Hollycat

I got my copy. I have to say I'm disappointed with the graphics so far, and the 3d, but its giving me a ff12 esque feeling, which is good since that's my favorite ff.

cyba89

So I had this game since New 3DS-launch, but took some bigger breaks inbetween. Decided to try to finish this until the WiiU game comes out in 2 weeks.

I'm 50 hours in (at Lvl 68) and currently at
the Gadolt fight in Agniratha where he calls those Shield reinforcements.
Totally hit a wall there. Manage to control the battle pretty good but his
Laser Bullet
move always wipes at least one member of my party. Shulks Monado Shield skill doesn't seem to help much. I'm using Shulk, Sharla and Reyn.

TheMoon

So I had this game since New 3DS-launch, but took some bigger breaks inbetween. Decided to try to finish this until the WiiU game comes out in 2 weeks.

I'm 50 hours in (at Lvl 68) and currently at
the Gadolt fight in Agniratha where he calls those Shield reinforcements.
Totally hit a wall there. Manage to control the battle pretty good but his
Laser Bullet
move always wipes at least one member of my party. Shulks Monado Shield skill doesn't seem to help much. I'm using Shulk, Sharla and Reyn.

I don't remember a concrete strategy for him but the no.1 tip is still: get rid of Sharla :)

You think you need her to heal but you don't. Or is she
mandatory in that battle?

Yeah, I am at the stage of needing to go back and finish this off now.

I hate hitting walls in RPGs because you need to relearn all the mechanics again. I wish the game would recognize you haven't played in a while and offer up a quick tutorial.

TheMoon

Yeah, I am at the stage of needing to go back and finish this off now.

I hate hitting walls in RPGs because you need to relearn all the mechanics again. I wish the game would recognize you haven't played in a while and offer up a quick tutorial.

The quick tutorial is you going into the tutorial screen and reading all the exact tutorial things that taught you those mechanics in the first place. :) It's very convenient.

cyba89

I don't remember a concrete strategy for him but the no.1 tip is still: get rid of Sharla :)

She's not mandatory
but I tried different combinations and I definitely need her to heal.
Managed to beat him now with additional HP+ chrystals so my party members did not die during his strong
Laser Bullet
attack. I also ignored the Monado Shield art because it did not really help much and used the Monado Buster art instead. It still was a close and long fight.

Thankfully the
Egil fight
after that was easier.

Dingens

just a heads up: if you continue with your shulk-reyn-sharla party, you'll hit an even thicker wall really soon...
you may wanna get used to riki and melia in the mean time.

The thing about Sharla is that having her in the party drops your damage dramatically, which means battles take longer, which means you take more damage, which means you need to heal more.

quite the noob trap there, I think people value her healing more than they should because she's the 3rd party member that joins, if she swapped places with any future party member people probably wouldn't rely on her as a crutch so much

(especially because everyone's favorite Heropon typically provides enough healing!)

Firemind

The thing about Sharla is that having her in the party drops your damage dramatically, which means battles take longer, which means you take more damage, which means you need to heal more.

quite the noob trap there, I think people value her healing more than they should because she's the 3rd party member that joins, if she swapped places with any future party member people probably wouldn't rely on her as a crutch so much

(especially because everyone's favorite Heropon typically provides enough healing!)
Blasphemy. Don't listen to these people. I killed the lvl. 100+ uniques with Sharla.

The argument about not doing enough damage is sound though and for that you should absolutely ditch Reyn. He's a pain in the arse. Dunban is twice the man Reyn is.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The way to fix Sharla is that her overheating should dramatically increase her dps but lock out all skills for a few minutes. Or hell, even have the cooldown animation but end it with a massive energy attack.

Friends: I have wanted to play Xenoblade for a really long time. But I know I will prefer to play an RPG on a handheld, and I have intended to play the 3DS version since it became an option.

But, outside of GAF, I see a lot of people insisting it should be played on a Wii U. Then people post screens from Dolphin as evidence, which is obviously misleading.

What does GAF think? Is the best way to play on the 3DS or the Wii version on a Wii U?

TheMoon

Friends: I have wanted to play Xenoblade for a really long time. But I know I will prefer to play an RPG on a handheld, and I have intended to play the 3DS version since it became an option.

But, outside of GAF, I see a lot of people insisting it should be played on a Wii U. Then people post screens from Dolphin as evidence, which is obviously misleading.

What does GAF think? Is the best way to play on the 3DS or the Wii version on a Wii U?

Honestly, it doesn't matter. It's the same excellent game on both systems. The Wii version is simply a little easier on the eyes since it's not crammed onto a tiny screen. If you prefer to play on portables, by all means, get Xenoblade 3D. You don't miss out on anything noteworthy either way (as long as you play the game somewhere).

Honestly, it doesn't matter. It's the same excellent game on both systems. The Wii version is simply a little easier on the eyes since it's not crammed onto a tiny screen. If you prefer to play on portables, by all means, get Xenoblade 3D. You don't miss out on anything noteworthy either way (as long as you play the game somewhere).

This is pretty much what I was hoping to hear. Which is good.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Personally, I feel Dolphin's the best way to go if you have a rig to push it at higher resolutions with the HD texture pack.

But if you prefer playing RPGs on a portable, the 3DS version is perfectly fine.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Dolphin is the 'best' version. If you're more likely to enjoy it on 3DS though, or have more time to play it, the version is fine. I've had multiple friends that have only played through Xenoblade because it was on 3DS. They just don't have time to sit down in front of their TVs for an 80 hour game these days.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Dolphin is the 'best' version. If you're more likely to enjoy it on 3DS though, or have more time to play it, the version is fine. I've had multiple friends that have only played through Xenoblade because it was on 3DS. They just don't have time to sit down in front of their TVs for an 80 hour game these days.

I should try streaming Dolphin to my Surface Pro 4 one of these days and see how it goes.

cyba89

I'm now
inside the Bionis after the game throws a ton of story developments at you
. I guess I'm close to the end now (although you never know with this game). I gave your advices a try and decided to use Riki instead of Sharla. Works good so far.

I'm now
inside the Bionis after the game throws a ton of story developments at you
. I guess I'm close to the end now (although you never know with this game). I gave your advices a try and decided to use Riki instead of Sharla. Works good so far.

Unless you're tackling superbosses or extra hard bosses (like Mordred) or something specific, anyone is better than Sharla most of the time. She's good, but you don't need a dedicated healer, and there are lots of healing options that don't use up a character position, as well as just taking the option to end the fight quickly and recover health in-between fights. Sharla usually makes battles longer than they need to be. So it helped you in that one fight you were struggling with, but otherwise she isn't generally needed.

cyba89

I'm now at the
Dragon King on Prison Island.
I'm a bit underleveled right now so I will do a bit of grinding first.
Let's see if I can finish the game this weekend.

Game has been a blast so far and I'm very curious how the story ends.

Dingens

I'm now at the

most people would advice you to be around level
by that point.
is still very doable, but everything below that might be a bit tough for a first timer.

also be ready for that ending...
you won't be

also congrats on beating
lorithia
!

cyba89

After almost 70 hours I finished this game.
Great ending to a great journey.

I'm super excited for Xeno Chronicles X now.

lol. Put the game down in early May after getting stuck. Pick it up today and get past the part I was stuck at in five minutes.

Fucking JRPGs. This always happens.

Sagitario

I started this two days ago and I can't stop playing (I'm progressing really slowly, though). Love the exploration! I'm about to reach Raguel Lake.

Quick question: which arts and skill I should be leveling up/focus on?
I don't want to waste it on useless (or not very helpful) arts.

Dingens

I started this two days ago and I can't stop playing (I'm progressing really slowly, though). Love the exploration! I'm about to reach Raguel Lake.

Quick question: which arts and skill I should be leveling up/focus on?
I don't want to waste it on useless (or not very helpful) arts.

In the beginning... topple and break arts. but after that, go with whatever you like
there are hardly any useless arts.

In the beginning... topple and break arts. but after that, go with whatever you like
there are hardly any useless arts.

This is good advice.

Also, don't neglect things like Light Heal. They make ditching Sharla as soon as you get a 4th member possible (which you should do, btw). And in this game, things that will increase agility are almost always better than increasing defense, when you can't do both.

Other than that, do what pleases you. You can reorganize at any point anyways. The less-than-helpful Arts will become apparent to you over time.

Sagitario

Thanks for the advice, guys!
Break, topple, Light Heal and agility. Got it!

So, Sharla isn't good? I just got the 4th party member (I love that accent ❤) and I put Sharla on reserve, but in this new area (the Bionis' waist, Satorl Marsh) I'm kinda missing the healer.

TheMoon

So, Sharla isn't good? I just got the 4th party member (I love that accent ❤) and I put Sharla on reserve, but in this new area (the Bionis' waist, Satorl Marsh) I'm kinda missing the healer.

You don't need her to heal. Riki has heal arts, too and otherwise you can just substitute healing for higher dmg output from other characters.

MrPanic

I'm now at the

I'm in the same area right now (though not at that boss yet), is this the last area of the game? I was a bit underleveled for the area and basically quit the game at that point, but now that XCX is almost among us I kinda want to finish the game if it's not to much work.

TheMoon

I'm in the same area right now (though not at that boss yet), is this the last area of the game? I was a bit underleveled for the area and basically quit the game at that point, but now that XCX is almost among us I kinda want to finish the game if it's not to much work.

You're almost done.

jgwhiteus

I like Sharla, though towards the end-game she wasn't in my "main party" (I used RIki for healing). But I found her essential for certain types of battles - mainly against higher-level monsters (10+ levels above the party) that couldn't be hit by regular attacks and required an ether-based party of Melia, Riki and Sharla. In those battles Sharla was necessary to keep everyone alive for the long haul while Melia's and RIki's DoT attacks took effect.

That's one of the things I like about Xenoblade's characters - they all have their different strengths, and if you want to fight everything out there you'll probably end up using all of them in different capacities (e.g. I didn't use Riki that much my first time around, but in my second playthrough I found him invaluable for treasure hunting, both in fighting higher-level monsters and in increasing rare loot drop rates).

Top Bottom