• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

MrPanic

You're almost done.

Ok, that's good, I'll go grind a bit and finish this game finally. Any recommended character setups? I'm rocking
Fiora/Dunban/Shulk
atm but it feels a bit too glass canon for me, especially since
Fiora tends to take the aggro away from Dunban when I control her.

Also, is there a way to tell if a enemy has spike damage beforehand? Me suiciding on spike damage is becoming a issue especially when playing
Fiora

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The anti Sharla sentiment has actually gone too far. The notion that if you're using her in a normal playthrough at all that 'you're doing it wrong' is so far from the truth. I like to encourage people to give every character a shot, switch up the controlled character, etc, but there are way too many "the sooner you can get rid of Sharla, the better" posts.

TheMoon

The anti Sharla sentiment has actually gone too far. The notion that if you're using her in a normal playthrough at all that 'you're doing it wrong' is so far from the truth. I like to encourage people to give every character a shot, switch up the controlled character, etc, but there are way too many "the sooner you can get rid of Sharla, the better" posts.

I think people say it more to encourage changing her out instead of keeping her on as a security blanket because you've grown accustomed to her healing arts.

jgwhiteus

Ok, that's good, I'll go grind a bit and finish this game finally. Any recommended character setups? I'm rocking
Fiora/Dunban/Shulk
atm but it feels a bit too glass canon for me, especially since
Fiora tends to take the aggro away from Dunban when I control her.

Also, is there a way to tell if a enemy has spike damage beforehand? Me suiciding on spike damage is becoming a issue especially when playing
Fiora

I don't know if there's an indication of spike damage except to look up the monster beforehand (usually uniques); I could be mistaken, but I think the only way to deal with spike damage is to either have specific resist / spike gems, or to have Shulk in the lead so he can use Purge continuously (which is what I did).

Grinding near the endgame shouldn't take too long, since there are a lot of areas with monsters that are 3-5 levels higher so you can still hit them - I think if you're in the 70's that you can start off with the Gogols / Windy Cave monsters on Bionis Leg (who are around 76-80, I think), then move to Satorl Marsh or Eryth Sea (which has monsters going up to 90). Though really level 76-80 is more than fine for the endgame, if I recall.

Almost any endgame setup is fine; personally, I mainly had Shulk in the lead with Reyn tanking (I realize Dunban is also a popular tank, but I never built him sufficiently to hold aggro), with Riki as healer / support / DoT. This switched to Melia lead / Riki support / Sharla healer for really high-level uniques I needed to beat for sidequests.

MrPanic

Done, finally finished the game. Actually had to put Sharla in my team at the final boss because I just couldn't keep my team alive for long enough, my highest level was 77 and I really couldn't be bothered with farming so I'm glad her healing was enough to turn the favor on my side. That was a interesting ending, glad I finally bothered to finish the game.

Now I'm finally ready for X, I'm really feeling it.

depward

Been trying to get this completed before X. Don't think it'll happen. Just hit 31 hours in the
snowy area

I haven't done ANYTHING in regards to crafting gems.

Should I...?

Aside from some kinda difficult boss fights here and there, been having a lot of fun with this!

Xbro

Been trying to get this completed before X. Don't think it'll happen. Just hit 31 hours in the
snowy area

I haven't done ANYTHING in regards to crafting gems.

Should I...?

Aside from some kinda difficult boss fights here and there, been having a lot of fun with this!

You can go the entire game without worrying about gems, but they are very useful once you figure them out.

depward

I'm 48 hours in and absolutely not playing this game right.

I'm currently level 68 and am in
Agniratha

I have some dumb questions:
  • Should I be teleporting back to areas to see if new quests are opening up?
  • Ever so often, when I get a resource, I'll have someone from the party be like, "Oh, such-and-such wanted these back in (location)!" But I'll go and won't find the individual to "give" the items to?
  • Difficulty has certainly increased lately. I just read about a Monado art -
    Monado Armor
    - I guess this is something I should look to obtain?
  • My main party has been Shulk + Reyn + Riki. We're doing OK. Assuming party line-up can be dynamic and there isn't a true "best party to roll with"

REALLY liking this and actually has been an RPG that has held my interest!

Xbro

I'm 48 hours in and absolutely not playing this game right.

I'm currently level 68 and am in
Agniratha

I have some dumb questions:
  • Should I be teleporting back to areas to see if new quests are opening up?
  • Ever so often, when I get a resource, I'll have someone from the party be like, "Oh, such-and-such wanted these back in (location)!" But I'll go and won't find the individual to "give" the items to?
  • Difficulty has certainly increased lately. I just read about a Monado art -
    Monado Armor
    - I guess this is something I should look to obtain?
  • My main party has been Shulk + Reyn + Riki. We're doing OK. Assuming party line-up can be dynamic and there isn't a true "best party to roll with"

REALLY liking this and actually has been an RPG that has held my interest!

1 - A lot of quests will end soon, so if you plan to do them, do it now.
2 - You shouldn't have to worry about those unless you find them in a quest specifically. For now just don't sell them.
3 - Monado Armor can be found by doing a quest on the Fallen Arm. There's also another art that is quest based called Monado Eater. Here. Neither of these links have spoilers.
4 - There is no true best party. Each party has it's own advantages. I'd recommend getting good at Melia though.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Should I be teleporting back to areas to see if new quests are opening up?

Some new quests open over time in previous towns for various reasons - sometimes it's just because of story progression, but for others it's because you've gained sufficient affinity within a particular town, or you've met certain NPCs, or you've completed particular sidequests.

depward

Beat it!

Glorious game. I haven't actually beat an RPG - outside of child of light - since... Shadow Hearts Covenant? So feels great to finish another.

Recommend to all N3DS owners if they like RPGs. Great battle system, interesting story, great characters and music.

Currently stuck at the
Telethia-Lorithia
Bossfight.
This is getting really annoying. I just want to finish the game to clear space on my Wii U hard drive...
I have been grinding for hours (my party is lvl 73), tried different party constellations and still fail every single time.
On top of that you have to deal with rubbish partner AI and huge performance issues. Holy shit at those framerate drops...

My go-to party set up: Shulk, RIki, Reyn

TheMoon

Currently stuck at the
Telethia-Lorithia
Bossfight.
This is getting really annoying. I just want to finish the game to clear space on my Wii U hard drive...
I have been grinding for hours (my party is lvl 73), tried different party constellations and still fail every single time.
On top of that you have to deal with rubbish partner AI and huge performance issues. Holy shit at those framerate drops...

My go-to party set up: Shulk, RIki, Reyn

Use the party commands.

https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/gameslist/manuals/Wii_Xenoblade.pdf
page 3
same controls on N3DS obv.

Didn't even know there were more commands other than the "focus attack" one....55 hours in! lol

Anyway, I've just beaten this boss and at the end it was pretty easy. First, I tried following some of your advices and used Melia but she was too weak. My solution was to simply exchange Reyn with Dunban.

My party was: Shulk (lvl 73; main), Riki (lvl 73) and Dunban (lvl 72)

Beat her on my first try with this combo. So freaking glad I'm done with this boss fight.

I really hope the next dungeon is the final one.

Tom_Cody

Final boss question:

I've been stuck on Zanza's second form for 2 hours. God this is painful. I just want to win the game. Ugh. It really sucks that I can't leave this area. I'm force to either brute force my way through or go back to my save file and try to level up and/or get more arts, etc.

My party is at level 77/78. That should be ok, right?

Any tips/tactics would be greatly appreciated. I'm no expert at the combat system and I think I'm fundamentally misunderstanding something about the way combat works in the game. About half of his attacks one-shot my characters and I can't figure out how to nullify them once presented with visions.

Again, I'm no expert, and I would appreciate advise even if it is remedial.

Thanks in advance!

TheMoon

Final boss question:

I've been stuck on Zanza's second form for 2 hours. God this is painful. I just want to win the game. Ugh. It really sucks that I can't leave this area. I'm force to either brute force my way through or go back to my save file and try to level up and/or get more arts, etc.

My party is at level 77/78. That should be ok, right?

Any tips/tactics would be greatly appreciated. I'm no expert at the combat system and I think I'm fundamentally misunderstanding something about the way combat works in the game. About half of his attacks one-shot my characters and I can't figure out how to nullify them once presented with visions.

Again, I'm no expert, and I would appreciate advise even if it is remedial.

Thanks in advance!

Two hours? You're still good. Took me five in the Wii version. :D

I "brute forced" it back then by trying a lot of different party configs and trying to build the best possible gem loadouts for them and setting up the arts as best as possible to easily facilitate topples (my go-to strategy), shields and/or heals. I loved and hated it (took until dawn :D).

The good thing for you is that you can just put the N3DS in sleep mode and keep trying later :D

And yes, your level is more than fine. I finished the game at lvl 78, too.

Tom_Cody

Two hours? You're still good. Took me five in the Wii version. :D

I "brute forced" it back then by trying a lot of different party configs and trying to build the best possible gem loadouts for them and setting up the arts as best as possible to easily facilitate topples (my go-to strategy), shields and/or heals. I loved and hated it (took until dawn :D).

The good thing for you is that you can just put the N3DS in sleep mode and keep trying later :D

And yes, your level is more than fine. I finished the game at lvl 78, too.
Now I don't feel as bad, lol.

I actually ended up beating him last night. I would have felt discouraged if I hadn't continued to make progress. I never figure out how to counter/nullify his attacks when presented with visions, so it really just ended up being a matter of mitigating the effects of them: toppling him with Melia so Sharla could heal so I would merely lose a lot of health instead die, or in extreme cases making sure only one character died from his one-shot-kill attacks. I also found that I could physically move my characters out of the way to dodge some of his attacks. Somehow I got 60 hours into the game without realizing this, lol.

At least the ending was worth it. A fantastic display of WTF. I wouldn't have it any other way. Now I need to read up on the ending explanations. This should be fun.

In need of some newbie help. Just started the game and I have been picking up some side quests. Is there anyway to select the side quests so it shows where I need to go on the map?

TheMoon

Ok, so I just need to stumble on them? Also no check ins after I found what Thames asked for right?

Finally would love any protips on how to approach the game. Thanks!

Reading the quest description and cross-referncing with the map usually does the trick.

For tips, read the OP. Specifically the FAQ (starting with the things highlighted in red).

Pogonip

Neo Member
Ok I'm on my first real quest going through the cave system to my destination and getting my ass kicked. Any tips on the combat?

Don't go crazy spamming arts to get a couple extra bits of damage. Use them strategically. Reyn should be drawing aggro and keeping enemies busy, so you can sneak behind the enemy for a Backslash (if playing as Shulk). The Monado Arts (when you get the Monado) recharge based on your auto attacks, so when not using arts, be sure your near the enemy to do damage and fill that meter up.

Damage and Hit Rate (as well as exp gain) are based around Level. Early game some enemies around your level will put up a tough fight, so don't be discouraged if you lose.

Eventually you'll get to the point where the combat system clicks. Switch Shulk out for Reyn at some point when fighting enemies just to get used to what he can do with his Arts.

Hmm, guys I am trying but I can't beat these two robots in the first big mission.

iVeB4WK.jpg

I just get murdered. Focusing on one at a time. Not sure what to do.

TheMoon

Hmm, guys I am trying but I can't beat these two robots in the first big mission.

iVeB4WK.jpg

I just get murdered. Focusing on one at a time. Not sure what to do.

I don't remember what level I was when I got there but 8 just seems low to me. Then again, I thoroughly explored the whole area surrounding Colony 9 and through that probably gained a bit more XP.

I don't think you have any complex arts yet that would let you do fancy things that would need explaining at this point so I don't really know what else to say.

Okay XenoGAF, I need some boss help.

Late game spoilers:

So I'm fighting
Jade Face
and I'm absolutely getting destroyed. I'm two levels higher at level 70 and I'm using Shulk, Melia and Dunban. Every time I kill the two drones, my party is already dead and I die shortly after without having made a dent.

Is there a better party set up for this fight or should I just grind up to like 75 and hope for the best?

DeVeAn

Just stared Wii version, feel like I might enjoy this more on 3DS though. Let's me free up the tv for the wife. Is it worth it?

TheMoon

Just stared Wii version, feel like I might enjoy this more on 3DS though. Let's me free up the tv for the wife. Is it worth it?

Nobody can answer this for you. You already have the game. Is playing it not on the TV worth it to you? You have figure that out yourself^^

Same incredible game either way.

DeVeAn

Nobody can answer this for you. You already have the game. Is playing it not on the TV worth it to you? You have figure that out yourself^^

Same incredible game either way.
Got the 3DS version, it looks worse but not by much. I think it's easier to play on handheld. Going into Wii mode and using the pro is a pain in the ass. Besides that game is prett damn fun. Really sucks that this has not been remastered as just having cleaner visuals would help a lot.

Welp...Because I can't help myself I booted up Dolphin and playing Xenoblade in 4K, hot damn I just ruined the 3DS version after 12 hours in lol. Looks amazing and using a DS4.

Flintty

I recently picked this up (£19.99 at GAME) and after initially struggling with the combat system, I'm loving it! The fact that this big world has been crammed into the 3DS is mind boggling, really really great job - a technical marvel.

My only regret is that I'm playing it on an Ambassador Edition New 3DS. I think it would be much better on an XL as the screen is sometimes too busy, especially with the huge name plates on the monsters.

Megatron

I'm playing through this game for the first time on the 3DS. I'm still very early. Dunbar just joined my party wielding the Monado. We're supposed to be looking for Fiona but I decided to clear the whole village of mechan first since I have this unstoppable god in my party. It's a free source if experience points and items (even if the items are almost exclusively broken part S whatever that is) I hope that when Shulk gets the Monado I will be similarity godlike, but I suspect there will be deuce ex machina shenanigans that will keep that from happening. Enjoying the game so far, and if anyone has any tips for a first-timer, they will be appreciated.

I'd spoiler tag, but honestly, i'm so early, why?

TheMoon

I'm playing through this game for the first time on the 3DS. I'm still very early. Dunbar just joined my party wielding the Monado. We're supposed to be looking for Fiona but I decided to clear the whole village of mechan first since I have this unstoppable god in my party. It's a free source if experience points and items (even if the items are almost exclusively broken part S whatever that is) I hope that when Shulk gets the Monado I will be similarity godlike, but I suspect there will be deuce ex machina shenanigans that will keep that from happening. Enjoying the game so far, and if anyone has any tips for a first-timer, they will be appreciated.

I'd spoiler tag, but honestly, i'm so early, why?

two tips:
a) it's "deus ex" not "deuce" ...you drop a deuce (number two) when going to the bathroom or if your score is tied in a Tennis match :D
b) once you have more characters: switch them out and try playing as everyone. don't cling to Sharla because you think she has to heal.

third bonus tip: read OP, lots of other tips in there :)

Megatron

two tips:
a) it's "deus ex" not "deuce" ...you drop a deuce (number two) when going to the bathroom or if your score is tied in a Tennis match :D
b) once you have more characters: switch them out and try playing as everyone. don't cling to Sharla because you think she has to heal.

third bonus tip: read OP, lots of other tips in there :)

How do my characters stay healed without Sharla? I subbed her out for Dunbar immediately, but put her back when I had trouble with the next boss I faced.

TheMoon

How do my characters stay healed without Sharla? I subbed her out for Dunbar immediately, but put her back when I had trouble with the next boss I faced.

That's more for later in the game. Other characters have healing arts, like Shulk or Riki for example.

DeVeAn

So close to beating this. On the last few bosses. Never thought I would complete this. Great game. Really needs a remaster it needs to be played in high resolution.

BioFan

Subscribing to the thread for when I buy this.

Just owned the 3DS 2 months ago and am amazed to find out the number of amazing Japanese RPGs this system has.

I'm thinking about buying Xenoblade 3d for the regular new 3ds, can you tell me if the font size it's ok? Because for example monster hunter uses a very crappy small font that strain the eyes

TheMoon

I'm thinking about buying Xenoblade 3d for the regular new 3ds, can you tell me if the font size it's ok? Because for example monster hunter uses a very crappy small font that strain the eyes

go on miiverse and open some screenshots. see for yourself if you consider the font "ok" :)

Hey, playing this for the firs time =), thanks for the beginner tips (didn't know about the fast travel), but I only got 1:15hs in the game.

I only have one question: is this a good Xenoblade to start with? will I miss something if I didn't play any other before? I think there is one in psx and one in ps2(or wii) ?

TheMoon

Hey, playing this for the firs time =), thanks for the beginner tips (didn't know about the fast travel), but I only got 1:15hs in the game.

I only have one question: is this a good Xenoblade to start with? will I miss something if I didn't play any other before? I think there is one in psx and one in ps2(or wii) ?

? There is no Xenoblade on PSX or PS2.

Because this is the first Xenoblade game. This is a port of the Wii game. The only other game with the name Xenoblade is Xenoblade X on Wii U and that has absolutely nothing to do with this one, story-wise.

Xenogears and Xenosaga have nothing to do with Xenoblade.

? There is no Xenoblade on PSX or PS2.

Because this is the first Xenoblade game. This is a port of the Wii game. The only other game with the name Xenoblade is Xenoblade X on Wii U and that has absolutely nothing to do with this one, story-wise.

Xenogears and Xenosaga have nothing to do with Xenoblade.

oh, my bad, I was talking about Xenogears, but I guess you reply made it clear that has nothing to do with that one.
Thanks!

Hi guys, I'm stuck with a boss fight in
Bionis hearth, with the telethia
, I know it's a ether fight, because the physics attacks doesn't do any damage and ethers attack do.

I'm lv 73, he is 75, I tried to use Melia, but he kills me so so fast, my usual party is Shurk, Riki and Dunban, but it's a no go for this one I think, any suggestions?

TheMoon

Hi guys, I'm stuck with a boss fight in
Bionis hearth, with the telethia
, I know it's a ether fight, because the physics attacks doesn't do any damage and ethers attack do.

I'm lv 73, he is 75, I tried to use Melia, but he kills me so so fast, my usual party is Shurk, Riki and Dunban, but it's a no go for this one I think, any suggestions?

Are you using the crystals to up your stats? I forgot what they're called. Gems? Have you started crafting the higher level versions?

Are you using the crystals to up your stats? I forgot what they're called. Gems? Have you started crafting the higher level versions?

Not really, I ignored the gem crafting at all.
I only use the ones I got from the collectopedia or enemy drops, but the problem is that this boss has two shields (icons) and is inmune to auto-attacks, I discover that if I destroy 2 of the 4 orbs that spawn, they explode and bring the shields of the boss down, so I can do normal damage to it, but it's going to be a very long battle in that way.

TheMoon

Not really, I ignored the gem crafting at all.
I only use the ones I got from the collectopedia or enemy drops, but the problem is that this boss has two shields (icons) and is inmune to auto-attacks, I discover that if I destroy 2 of the 4 orbs that spawn, they explode and bring the shields of the boss down, so I can do normal damage to it, but it's going to be a very long battle in that way.

After you're done with that battle, get into gem crafting. Stat. lol

Guide linked in the OP.

Top Bottom