• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

TheMoon

x3dotbanner8cu8m.jpg

xenobox3dkykwt.png

%%
PLEASE BE MINDFUL OF SPOILERS! Don't spoil events for newcomers, please, despite the game being almost five years old. Thanks!
%%

xgeneral1dudx.png

Original game developed by: MonolithSoft
Port developed by: Monster Games
Published by: Nintendo
Platform: New Nintendo 3DS
Release Dates: April 2, 2015 (JP, EU, AU) / April 10, 2015 (NA)
Genre: RPG
StreetPass: Yes
amiibo: Yes (Shulk)
eShop download file size in blocks: 29,500 blocks (3776MB / 3.7GB) [= you need a card bigger than the default 4GB!]
Dual Audio: No, the Western versions only have English language audio and the JP version is Japanese-only. No text-language options in-game either (defaults to the system language setting).
------------------------------------------------------------- NOW IT'S REYN TIME! -------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If you want to learn about the game's story/characters/mechanics, I suggest checking out the previous OTs for the Wii original, that I linked up there under those box arts! They got everything you need to know covered. This OT is specifically about the New Nintendo 3DS version's differences along with a general celebration of this modern classic. So enjoy the ride. But let's not lose our heads though!
------------------------------------------------------------- NOW IT'S REYN TIME! -------------------------------------------------------------
xfaq37sl3.png

So how is the port? Does it rurn well?
Yes, don't worry about framerates. If you've watched a trailer with stuttering, that was the video. It runs about as well as the Wii original, even better (!) in some infamous cases. The only difference is the lower resolution. Some people say the stereoscopic 3D doesn't add much but I guess that'll be up to you in the end.​
What's new?
Shulk amiibo support, a 3D model viewer and a soundtrack jukebox feature. You can use the Shulk amiibo (once per day) to unlock models and songs in Collection Mode to view/listen to. The jukebox also allows you to keep listening while the N3DS is in sleep mode (sadly it only works with the currently selected song, you can't create a playlist). StreetPass gives you tokens, just like scanning an amiibo does. They are used for the unlocks. You can also cash in some Play Coins to get tokens.​
What's different?
Essentially nothing. The game is uncompromised in gameplay terms. The only notable difference is the absence of the Japanese audio due to space limitations. You'll have to make do with the brilliant English voice work in the Western versions. And since this is based around the Classic Controller layout, you don't have the option of selecting Arts while moving the character around like when using the Wii Remote & Nunchuk.

***UPDATE***
As has just been discovered by ntower.de (and relayed via GoNintendo), an annoying gameplay bug from the Wii game has been fixed in the N3DS version.
ntower.de said:
It’s about the bug that made your characters weaker than their status screen showed. Your characters have an auto-attack, which ranges between two fixed points. For example, using made-up stats: Say Shulk's has an auto-attack power of 1200-1600 points, at least the status screen says that. But the bug didn’t make it possible to deal more damage than 1299, because it always just took the minimal possible damage and added 99 points to it. It was never possible to deal 1600 in that situation, only with critical attacks and special attacks. Not even gems worked.
The 3DS version has remedied this issue, making it possible to deal out somewhere within the full range of your character's abilities. This means you could use your auto attack and hit 1600 points, 1200 points or anywhere inbetween in our hypothetical example.
So how does this Collection Mode work exactly?
Collection Mode lets you unlock music and models with tokens. These tokens are attainable through StreetPass (2 tokens), tagging your Shulk amiibo once per day (3 tokens) or trading in five Play Coins (1 token). Turning the game on for the first time grants you 10 tokens to do with as you please, by the way.

So after you got yourself some tokens, you got a choice to either spend one token for a random unlock (which might include one that you already have unlocked) or three tokens at once which guarantees you a new unlock. Initially, only 6 songs and 6 models are available but you make more of them available by progressing through the game.​
Can I import my save from the Wii game somehow?
No. Wizardry such as this is sadly not possible. So no straight jumping into New Game Plus for you. Or me.​
Does it have multiple save slots?
Yes, it does indeed! It has three save slots. Just like the original game on Wii.​
Why is this not on Wii U in HD?
Because they wanted to bring it to a handheld and make it portable. That's it. Please refrain from port begging. We've had enough of that leading up to release. Also read this, where they explain more about the port.​
Why should I buy/play this then?
Because it's one of the best games of the last generation. That you can now play on-the-go! Freaking Xenoblade in your pocket! Tell your friends! (and get hype for Xenoblade X!)​
Wait what, Europe gets a special black case?
Yup, Europe gets a black case and a black platform banner. Australia gets the same black platform banner but sadly has to live with the standard white case since AU uses the same slim cases as North America and Japan which both get Xenoblade 3D in standard white cases and white platform banners.
Mine arrived this morning :)
h221Giwl.jpg
Does the cartridge look any different?
No. Same ol' white/grey-ish cart. Here's a pic:
jrqywkql.jpg

Pretty much the same as before D:
beginnerwqxqb.png

Play as everyone!
You might be fooled into thinking it's perfectly normal to just play Shulk throughout the whole game because he has the Monado and stuff but you'd be, for one, wrong and also deprive yourself of some of the pretty cool variety, depth and fun of the combat system and especially the affinity system. So, switch out your party members and especially your party leaders you play as everyone and get to know everyone's Arts and what they're good at.​
Affinity! It's important!
This connects to the "play as everyone" part. Affinity between party members is built-up by fighting together (and also while completing quests). This means your two active party members will build affinity with you, the party leader. This means you're encourage to try all the different character combinations so everyone builds up affinity with everyone else. And if you know you're about to finish a sidequest and need to build affinity between certain characters, make sure to add them to the party in the needed configuration. It's all about dem <3​
Look at the menu, there is a Tutorials screen, use it!
This might be one of the most helpful menus nobody uses. The Tutorials section is home to all those pop-up tutorial windows you encounter during the game. And not just the ones the game shows you automatically, it has additional ones, as well. They are very detailed and have pictures! They're ideal to freshen up your knowledge about a certain mechanic you forgot about or to read up on how exactly a certain character's Arts worked, for example. Seriously, check this area every now and then. Something might have been added that you missed or forgot about.​
There is fast travel, I hope you know this!
You can travel to any landmark you have discovered at any time (and if you select "Area Map" you can also travel TO any region FROM any region, not just within the current map region). Someone mentioned this is a common thing people miss early on so ...no excuses now! lol​
Sidequests. Accept them all, don't obsess over them.
Basically this:
Advice:
Accept every sidequest you come across. Don't go out of your way to complete any of them. Just complete whatever comes naturally through exploration and the main story. That's enough EXP and rewards to keep you ahead of the curve.
Talk to people!
Think of this as a huge version of Majora's Mask. NPCs have schedules (though far less complex) and everything is on a 24h clock (ofc. without an end point). It will prove useful to walk through towns in the morning, afternoon, evening and at night to check for different NPCs who might have something worthwhile to say (=sidequest). Generally, talk to everyone who has a proper name multiple times. Some quests only open up once you built up more affinity with an area by doing the menial tasks, such as the basic "kill 4 of this monster type" quests.​
The Collectopedia, be aware of it, use it!
Under the "Items" menu, the option Collectopedia is a screen you should go back to on the regular as you pick up stuff and kill enemies in new areas. You have to manually "donate" one of the items that it's asking for, it doesn't fill out by itself. Completing a category nets you a (relatively) high level gem and completing a whole page (there is a whole page for every zone) is rewarded with new gear. Since people hate menus, I wager this is extremely easy to miss for many of you.
It's this screen here:
ags58.jpg
Selling/Not Selling Materials
One of the first things the game suggests to you upon entering Colony 9 is selling the stuff you just picked up. Don't. You don't need to do that at all, plus it will interfere with your early Collectopedia progress. You'll hardly ever be strapped for cash and your inventory is huge (though sadly not infinite). Only sell materials when you really need some cash to buy some new Art Books or something. Make sure to not sell quest-related ones (marked with an "!" or rare materials which are marked with a shiny symbol. And always check your Collectopedia before selling anything. You might have just picked up a material that you needed to fill that last spot on the current page.
Here's a list of materials that are OK to sell.
alvis.exe made a list of materials needed for quests.
Skill Trees/Skill Links
Don't overlook this. It unlocks after a while and lets you link certain character-specific passive skills together for enhanced effects. You'll use your Affinity Coins here so go for those perfect (B) prompts and make some <3 <3 <3.​
Gem Crafting
Note: You don't need to read or understand this before you start playing or even within the first few hours. Get to know the other stuff first since this isn't available to you right out the gate anyway.
Gem Crafting isn't super well explained in the game but it's really important for late-game awesomeness and getting the most out of your characters. Here is a handy guide that explains how everything works together. It's a highly recommended read.

And I guess I missed this, so go ahead and check it out, too!
Not even going to rep Man God's Godly Guide to Gem Crafting? Come on now. :p
xscreenshiu4j.png

2729003-3ds_xenobladeh2ph8.png
2738245-31-lgn5titv2u2z.jpg

2738232-18-wve2taju5u8r.jpg
2738225-11-6dckyg7l3uwf.jpg

2738234-20-hbqegvbqxu38.jpg
2738212-03-ukwz30oq5uhl.jpg

2738251-37-epm7ugkdwro4.jpg
2738244-30-gvrvf7gcwosi.jpg

2738254-40-3p7wwrrv2q7p.jpg
2738247-33-amqf3gw9hray.jpg

xextrawwu0n.png

amiibo
Shulk's amiibo is compatible with the game. You can scan it to get three tokens to cash in for a chance to unlock new models for the 3D model viewer or new music for the soundtrack playlist.
ci16_n3ds_xenobladechsqutk.jpg
HOME Menu theme
Europe-only: If you purchase Xenoblade Chronicles 3D from Nintendo eShop before 9th April 2015, you will receive a download code for a HOME Menu theme. The download code will be displayed on your receipt, and the HOME Menu theme can be used on all Nintendo 3DS family systems.
ci7_n3ds_xenobladechrrnu2x.jpg

The theme is also available to buy on the Japanese theme shop.

And this theme can be bought by anyone in PAL regions and Japan:
oxysbh.JPG

Australia/New Zealand retail:
NintendoAUNZ said:

And they're both also available for purchase on the North American theme shop:
Cover Plates
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D is getting matching cover plates for New Nintendo 3DS in Japan (No. 059), Australia and Europe (No. 025). By now, you'll have a hard time finding them, though. But you could still get lucky on launch day.
coverplatesx3dymuux.jpg

Specifically for Australia:
NintendoAUNZ said:
These #Xenoblade Chronicles 3D Cover Plates will be available exclusively at @EBGamesAus in limited quantities on 2/4
https://twitter.com/NintendoAUNZ/status/571225754224222208/photo/1
B-1mzAIW0AIMz79.jpg:orig

xiadysuf.png

------------------------------------------------------------ NOW IT'S REYN TIME! ------------------------------------------------------------
Iwata Asks: Xenoblade Chronicles 3D​
------------------------------------------------------------ NOW IT'S REYN TIME! ------------------------------------------------------------
We want to make a JRPG masterpiece: http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/xenoblade-chronicles-3d/0/0
Iwata Asks: Xenoblade Chronicles Wii​
Vol. 1 - The Music: http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/xenoblade/0/0

Vol. 2 - The Story: http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/xenoblade/1/0

Vol. 3 - The Development Process: http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/xenoblade/2/0

Iwata Asks: In Conversation with Tetsuya Takahashi and Hironobu Sakaguchi:
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-Ask...Years/1-Reunion-After-Eight-Years-211179.html

xlinksiss9d.png

Official NA Website
Official JP Website
Official UK Website
NintendoLife interview with Hiro Yamada (Nintendo SPD) about porting the game to N3DS (Recommended!)
GameSpot interview with people from Monster Games and Nintendo SPD and Takahashi himself. Also highly recommended.
Full recording of the Japanese NicoNico stream with Takahashi and Yokota:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TbTQXZla2A
xmusici1ump.png

Official Nintendo uploads of ACE performing songs live from the Xenoblade 3D NicoNico stream:

Big shoutout to L~A for initially recording and uploading these right away on Saturday, too!
http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/xenoblade-chronicles-soundtrack-live-recordings-official/

Smooth McGroove doing Gaur Plains

Hit up your preferred online store (amazon, play-asia, yesasia, etc) to grab a copy of the 4-Disc Original Soundtrack to Xenoblade. Seriously, it's worth it.

http://vgmdb.net/album/18946

Overside

Banned
I urge all returning players to briefly Google Gottfreid Leibniz's the monadology, and the 'monad' in Gnostic and Pythagorean religion, as well as the Monad in functional computer programming.

Things will take on a different light.

Holy shit didn't realize this game was tomorro-

oh. Not in the US. Well I hope the rest of you guys enjoy it with your cool themes and faceplates. I'm still excited to get my hands on it again because Xenoblade is fantastic.

El Odio

Banned
Nice OT! I've been itching to replay this in anticipation for X but lent my copy out almost a year ago and they're still not done with it. This game might be what causes me to jump on the New 3DS bandwagon. Love to have this game on the go, it's one of mhy favorites from last gen.

Crossing fingers for a Xenoblade Edition New 3DS announcement for North America tommorow in the Direct.

It's the closest thing to Monado faceplates for us Yanks :(

Ath

Fingers crossed my copy will be arriving today. Even though I put 140 hours into the Wii version when it came out, I'm still itching to get back in and replay on the go. Xenoblade is simply one of my favourite games of all time. People playing it for the first time are in for a treat.

FryHole

Oh god, just noticed those beautiful spoilers dotted like confetti through the OT, nice work.

Really looking forward to this, now I'm not hogging the TV when I play I can get stuck in to some of the meatier side quests. I never did find out what that shady bunch in colony 9 were up to.

Resilient

Holy shit at that title!!!

Game of last gen for me...I fkn said it. Can't wait to replay. Against all odds...we choose to fight!

Dr. Buni

That is one dumb title.

Anyways, for first timers: Enjoy the best game Nintendo produced since Majora's Mask in 2000.

I finished Bloodborne yesterday just in time to play Xenoblade 3D.

Good lord, those jaggies.

Cinematics are fine, with a good 3D effect, but the gameplay... It hurts.

SalvaPot

As a fool I forgot to preorder this and I am in a family trip, hopefully the game has enough copies for me when I come back.

AdanVC

OT Looks ace!! Tons of useful links and information! I need to read some of those Iwata Asks. I've never read that with the creator of Final Fantasy omfg. Too bad I don't have a New 3DS... yet. Probably gonna get it during summer :D

Thoraxes

This will be the third time I play it too!

Once on Wii, once using Dolphin, and now once on n3DS.

Still can't believe i'll have such a massive open game right in my pocket. Kinda amazing when you think about it.

Ertai

Great OT and title, amazingly done. My copy should arrive tomorrow, if nothing goes wrong.

I've been looking for a pre order of the Xenoblade coverplate but couldn't find anything here (Netherlands) so i'll have to take my chances walking into stores

lol I'm loving the thread title.

I hope I can get my hands on a Shulk Amiibo soon. I want my New 3DS XL to inform me that he's really feeling it when I place the figure on the bottom screen.

Crayolan

I won't be doing a second playthrough myself, but for newcomers, don't try to go out of your way to do every sidequest unless you're an insane super hyper ultra completionist or you want to burn yourself out really quickly. Just accept any sidequests you see in your path and a good chunk of them will end up being completed passively as you progress through the story and explore.

Bardiche

Good OT and title!

Always wanted to play this when it was out on the Wii but now the perfect opportunity has presented itself. Now, I'll just have to wait until April 10th :/.

ZeroX03

Banned
This is the power of a great NeoGAF OT.

Fantastic work. My copy should be here tomorrow morning so there's my portable fix for the next few days weeks months. Two things I mentioned in the review thread:

1. If you're a newcomer, make sure to learn characters other than Shulk! The game is a lot more interesting when you take the effort to learn all the different characters. You'll be grateful in the late game.

2. Please refrain from Wii U HD port begging. Fucking please.

El Odio

Banned
I think I might add some brief newbie tips later today.
Given how often it comes up in unnoticed mechanics threads point out quick travel would probably be a must.
Took me until about Satorl Marsh to realize it was an option...

Renewed

Can't wait to play this again!

I really hope that NA is getting the Xenoblade theme too, because I need to have a mismatch going with my MHn3DS.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Sorry, it didn't come up clearly from the OP...what time it is, after all?

I am really looking forward to this, never played it on my wii. I was going to buy this many times on the Wii but something always cropped up, hopefully my copy arrive this morning so I can get stuck in as early as possible.

JimPanzer

got my copy. I'm a huge JRPG fan, but never got around playing this game. Going in nearly blind. Hope you guys are right about the quality of the game.

Dominator

Never played one second or even seen any gameplay of this game, so this will be my first time going through. Completely blind, so I'm sure it'll be interesting lol

I don't know I stayed away for so long, but I only saw the debut trailer for this 3DS version and I was half paying attention.

Hyped. Had a Wii copy sitting around for ages but just never got around to it. This is the perfect excuse; I need a good commute game right now.

oatmeal

Banned
Is this a game suitable for short sessions? I keep my 3ds by my bed but don't really play it for extended periods.

So, odds that the theme is put up for sale?

I don't want to preorder this, $60 is too much for a (inferior) port, even if it is one of my all time favourites.

Fuck it I'll order it online even though it comes out in mere hours. They better send me my theme code.

Golnei

Is this a game suitable for short sessions? I keep my 3ds by my bed but don't really play it for extended periods.

To an extent, definitely. It'll be a little difficult to play it in 15-minute bursts, but half-to-one hour sessions fit comfortably enough with how the game's structured.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I can sub to this topic and maybe answer some questions for first time players, even though in don't intend to pick up this version myself.

Planning a replay before too long. Possibly a let's play.

Really looking forward to playing this as I missed it the first time round. Problem is I have Bloodborne, Ground Zeroes and Majora's Mask to finish first.

Top Bottom