• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

On a completely different note. Snakeman stage is insane. It's almost busted.

So busted that I'm not really having trouble screwing over Kid Cobra on it in grand prix. If you are on the spiny thing and pinning them back, not even the over the top AI can get around it.

please understand

Cush

DrDogg, would love to see some of these fights uploaded to YouTube. Any possibility of that for us non-ARMS owners? I know you've uploaded some videos before.

I should record these matches, but it looked like you air dodged after I Rush attacked through your punch. You shouldn't have had time to do that from that range.

No that was planned, I screwed up the aim for my grab, causing me to miss instead of having it interrupted and leading into you hitting me with the rush

Meanwhile please record these fights! They're intense and people seem interested to see what high skill gameplay is like

Sorry for the perfect, Dogg

I wouldn't be surprised if Kid Cobra's stage was by a guest designer Masahiro Sakurai
"I thought to myself, how can I bring my smash bros experience to ARMS? and then it hit me like a charged up megawatt, a stage with a central mechanic that completely overrides the core mechanics in favour of shenanigans!"

I've got all the inside scoops.

DrDogg

DrDogg, would love to see some of these fights uploaded to YouTube. Any possibility of that for us non-ARMS owners? I know you've uploaded some videos before.

There's nothing to see at the moment. It's just me testing things. Basically spamming attacks at certain points to see what hits. So far basically nothing.

No that was planned, I screwed up the aim for my grab, causing me to miss instead of having it interrupted and leading into you hitting me with the rush

Meanwhile please record these fights! They're intense and people seem interested to see what high skill gameplay is like

But the rush missed. Or is that what you're saying? I'm confused.

There's nothing to see at the moment. It's just me testing things. Basically spamming attacks at certain points to see what hits. So far basically nothing.

But the rush missed. Or is that what you're saying? I'm confused.

It missed me but you recalculated your aim after my grab failed and hit me when I hit the ground. Had my grab "landed" or more accurately had been deflected, I would've kept air dashing around

DrDogg

It missed me but you recalculated your aim after my grab failed and hit me when I hit the ground. Had my grab "landed" or more accurately had been deflected, I would've kept air dashing around

Yeah but it shouldn't have missed in the first place. Against anyone other than Ribbon Girl that would've been guaranteed. I don't recall your air movements before the Rush, but at that range you shouldn't have had time to evade.

Yeah but it shouldn't have missed in the first place. Against anyone other than Ribbon Girl that would've been guaranteed. I don't recall your air movements before the Rush, but at that range you shouldn't have had time to evade.

The puddle + dash + air dodge is a beautiful thing

Ouch, that was bad all around for me, don't particularly enjoy Ninja College, maybe I should ban it next round?

Biske

Lol reading your guy's back and forth reminds me why I don't like competitive games. I hate having to think of all that shit to really compete.

Bring on Splatoon 2

DrDogg

The puddle + dash + air dodge is a beautiful thing

Ouch, that was bad all around for me, don't particularly enjoy Ninja College, maybe I should ban it next round?

But see that's what isn't making sense. It wasn't all those Helix evasion tools that enabled you to dodge the Rush. You were in the air attacking me, so the puddle had nothing to do with it. I interrupted your attack with a Rush, so dash had nothing to do with it. You air dodged away in a time frame that no other character can. You should've been stuck in the recovery of your attack and unable to air dodge.

Ninja college again, great

Dogg, when Helix lands he automatically goes into a puddle, maybe that's why

His animation while air dodging also has him shape shifting

Can confirm super close is no good

But see that's what isn't making sense. It wasn't all those Helix evasion tools that enabled you to dodge the Rush. You were in the air attacking me, so the puddle had nothing to do with it. I interrupted your attack with a Rush, so dash had nothing to do with it. You air dodged away in a time frame that no other character can. You should've been stuck in the recovery of your attack and unable to air dodge.

SalvaPot

Ninjara at level 4 proved to be my "Git Gud or get out" opponent on the Grand Prix, took me an hour but finally beat him. Everything else after felt much easier.

You said it yourself, you interrupted the attack allowing me to dash AGAIN

Every attack interrupted is an opportunity to air dash

I was too much in the center to do anything, I did it but to no avail

DrDogg

You said it yourself, you interrupted the attack allowing me to dash AGAIN

Every attack interrupted is an opportunity to air dash

If I interrupt your attack it resets air movement. This is correct. But at the range I was at no other character would've had time to air dodge before the Rush hit.

Bah, beating you with double lights doesn't feel like a win... >_>

If I interrupt your attack it resets air movement. This is correct. But at the range I was at no other character would've had time to air dodge before the Rush hit.

Bah, beating you with double lights doesn't feel like a win... >_>

It's all about the angle, his air dash seems to be really evasive. Plus we seem to have proven it's not lag because at a much tighter angle me doing that didn't do anything but kill me anyway

It was brief but I can confirm I dashed away

ASIS

ARMS > Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

There, I said it. I really hope this turns into a franchise where they iron out the game and flesh out the mechanics more. I love pretty much everything about its presentation though. Such a superb little fighting game this is.

Speely

Banned

There, I said it. I really hope this turns into a franchise where they iron out the game and flesh out the mechanics more. I love pretty much everything about its presentation though. Such a superb little fighting game this is.

It really is phenomenal, especially once you start "getting it."

I wouldn't go that far now :p

ASIS

It really is phenomenal, especially once you start "getting it."

I had the "aha" moment during the testpunch. But I still suck :p.

I'm improving though!

I wouldn't go that far now :p

I'm dead serious. Something about connecting the punches feels very satisfying. I was doing some lab work when the thought hit me, I am enjoying this game way more than Mario Kart 8. Yes MK8 is a more refined, complete experience. But this feels so fresh and innovative and intense that I really do prefer it.

DrDogg

It's all about the angle, his air dash seems to be really evasive. Plus we seem to have proven it's not lag because at a much tighter angle me doing that didn't do anything but kill me anyway

It was brief but I can confirm I dashed away

Yeah you dashed, but that's the thing. It shouldn't be about how evasive he is. You should not have any time to do that. With any other character it is *not possible* to recover that quickly.

Also, I have a lot of lag with Lobo. Not sure if he's outside of the US or now.

Speely

Banned
I had the "aha" moment during the testpunch. But I still suck :p.

I'm improving though!

Hah same. I am actually pretty bad at fighting games, but I have been able to hold my own in ARMS a bit... but ONLY a bit. Properly good players walk all over me still, but I do ok against randos.

Biske

Holy shit, nice! My medium timer max is 4 haha.

It was a thing of beauty, I was hitting every target and extra timer and prize package right away, if you are clearing away the targets in a good clip it seems to pump out those prizes.

The little minigame for unlocking arms, aka: skillshot without all the bullshit, is pretty dang fun in its own simplistic way.

Just did the 100 coin option for the first time and left with 8 arms which I think is a decent haul.

Yeah you dashed, but that's the thing. It shouldn't be about how evasive he is. You should not have any time to do that. With any other character it is *not possible* to recover that quickly.

Also, I have a lot of lag with Lobo. Not sure if he's outside of the US or now.

Then maybe he is broken? And yeah I got lag with him too

Speely

Banned
It was a thing of beauty, I was hitting every target and extra timer and prize package right away, if you are clearing away the targets in a good clip it seems to pump out those prizes.

Good to know. I have been bad about hitting the extra targets (in the background.) Will adjust and git gud ;)

The little minigame for unlocking arms, aka: skillshot without all the bullshit, is pretty dang fun in its own simplistic way.

Just did the 100 coin option for the first time and left with 8 arms which I think is a decent haul.
I'd recommend saving up for 200. I'm not particularly great at it and I got EDIT:19.

DrDogg

Okay for real this is weird, it seems with double light arms and a rush I still lose to heavy arms

When you activate Rush, whoever hits first wins. Weight doesn't seem to matter after limited testing.

Also, you are canceling Twintelle's slow down. Your attacks go right through it after not even half the time it's supposed to last. And I'm not letting go of the button.

When you activate Rush, whoever hits first wins. Weight doesn't seem to matter after limited testing.

Also, you are canceling Twintelle's slow down. Your attacks go right through it after not even half the time it's supposed to last. And I'm not letting go of the button.

My guess is the popper is just that fast, it's not just you but all Twintelle's I've played go down because of them, especially if they curve

Gartooth

Yeah Kid Cobra's stage is the worst. It looked so fun in the pre-release footage but because you are moving and jumping so much it becomes a lucky hit fest. It's kind of weird too since it feels like the only stage with an intrusive gimmick.

Mechanica continues to be my favorite character in the roster although I am warming up to Kid Cobra and Master Mummy more. Her dash glide feels sooo good even though it probably isn't as effective at high levels of play.

Top Bottom