• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 comes out on PC in 1 month from today, how many are still excited?

Yea lets also compare PUBG to Path of Exile because you loot in both games AND they're both on the same platform (Steam).

And you fail to realize why I'm so adamant on Destiny 2 being barred from Battle.Net in the first place. I don't want Battle.Net to become the next Steam or Origin. It has existed as a Blizzard community first, a digital sales platform second.

Strakt

And you fail to realize why I'm so adamant on Destiny 2 being barred from Battle.Net in the first place. I don't want Battle.Net to become the next Steam or Origin. It has existed as a Blizzard community first, a digital sales platform second.

Well once again I think Destiny 2 is a GOOD game and fits in perfectly with the other games so I think it belongs on battle.net. I've played almost every blizzard game as well. As for any future games, can't really comment on that as it hasn't happened yet.

Razgreez

I do wonder how it will fair with so little content compared to most other looters. There's very little carrot on its stick

Well once again I think Destiny 2 is a GOOD game and fits in perfectly with the other games so I think it belongs on battle.net. As for any future games, can't really comment on that as it hasn't happened yet.

And I think that Destiny 2 is a medicore game in its current incarnation and will set up a bad precedent/open the floodgates for Activsion to shove more mediocre titles into Blizzard's client thus diluting the platform from what it once was.

Battle.Net has remained a Blizzard community ever since 1996. It has persisted like that even with the Activsion merger of 2008. That's 9 years of remaining in its original form since Activision, 2 decades since inception. Destiny 2 threatens that community if it does poorly, and so far due to my own personal experience in beta and seeing how its turning out via videos/threads/etc. I'm not having high hopes for it. It's good to remain on topic isn't it?

Strakt

And I think that Destiny 2 is a medicore game in its current incarnation and will set up a bad precedent/open the floodgates for Activsion to shove more mediocre titles into Blizzard's client thus diluting the platform from what it once was.

Battle.Net has remained a Blizzard communtiy ever since 1996. It has persisted like that even with the Activsion Merger of 2008. That's 9 years of remaining in its original form.

Guess you gotta adapt to change :)

I'm surprised it's taken Acti this long to put games in there tbh

dengatron

if blizzard didn't want destiny 2 on their platform, they'd likely have the clout to say put that shit on steam. blizzards platform is a much better platform for destiny in regards to patch/content delivery and visibility to the types of people more likely to engage in destiny's gameplay loop. it also doesn't hurt that blizzard is probably going to make megabank off of d2. the majority of people i know buying it cashed in gold for bnet balance to buy d2, and if you can buy silver(d2's microtransaction currency) with bnet balance, people will blow massive gold loads on that too.

Guess you gotta adapt to change :)

I'm surprised it's taken them this long tbh

Don't fix what isn't broken. It speaks of the dedication Blizzard has to its community, or what it once had. Whether or not it was Activision forcing Blizzard, Blizzard liking Bungie alot, or a mixture of both, is left unsaid atm. Point is Battle.Net has been healthy for years upon years and is better left alone like that. Destiny 2 with its shoddy game design and implementation threatens that.

if blizzard didn't want destiny 2 on their platform, they'd likely have the clout to say put that shit on steam. blizzards platform is a much better platform for destiny in regards to patch/content delivery and visibility to the types of people more likely to engage in destiny's gameplay loop. it also doesn't hurt that blizzard is probably going to make megabank off of d2. the majority of people i know buying it cashed in gold for bnet balance to buy d2, and if you can buy silver(d2's microtransaction currency) with bnet balance, people will blow massive gold loads on that too.

Patch/content delivery in what precedent? Having a delayed launch from the console version? Lack of dedicated servers?

Mifec

I lost any and all interest, the gap between the pc beta and release was just too big and couldn't hold my attention. That and the shaders thing and in general content that I'd exhaust pretty fast don't really appeal to me. Not to mention their multiplayer is pretty ass compared to something like CS:GO, DOTA which appeal to me so I'd never touch it anyway and that instantly cuts off a huge chunk of the game for me.

Maybe when it's 20 bucks on cdkeys in a few months.

Because it's being put up against Blizzard titles by being on the Battle.Net client. I wouldn't have issue with the game if it were up to Blizzard quality, but let's see we have

- Peer to Peer connection/lack of dedicated servers
- Mediocre MMO content
- Medicore loothunting content
- What is the story/narrative again?
- Decline of sales from its predecessor
- Horrid cosmetic microtransactions

So not Blizzard quality, yet its being part of the Blizzard roster by virtue on being on Blizzard's game client. But we have gunplay, which I'll admit Bungie knows gunplay. Why wasn't it a pure FPS again?

Activision and Bungie are using existing Battle.net infrastructure to handle the game. It makes sense to leverage existing network assets from their sister company Blizzard to help operate Destiny 2.

From what I played of the Destiny 2 open beta, I have no problems with it being listed next to Diablo III and that sort of thing.

You're going to be super mad if Call of Duty comes to Battle.net in the future too.

Activision and Bungie are using existing Battle.net infrastructure to handle the game. It makes sense to leverage existing network assets from their sister company Blizzard to help operate Destiny 2.

You're going to be super mad if Call of Duty comes to Battle.net in the future too.

Well yeah, that's kind of my point. I don't want Battle.Net to be Activision's version of Steam/Origin. And it's why I want Destiny 2 to be a better game before being hosted on Battle.Net so that scenario of CoD and other mass-produced titles won't be shoved onto the platform.

Strakt

Don't fix what isn't broken. It speaks of the dedication Blizzard has to its community, or what it once had. Whether or not it was Activision forcing Blizzard, Blizzard liking Bungie alot, or a mixture of both, is left unsaid atm. Point is Battle.Net has been healthy for years upon years and is better left along like that. Destiny 2 with its shoddy game design and implementation threatens that.

It doesn't threaten anything though because at the end of the day its just a launcher. It only seems to be threatening your idea of "every game on battle.net is perfect with no flaws"

Bold One

Double dipping next year, for PC bros, any ideas where to start putting together relatively cheap pc parts for a decent rig?

Price range 700 Brexits

ZOONAMI

Since i caved and got it for the pro I don’t think I’m going to double dip. I don’t care enough to have to go through the entire campaign again. If they sell a level 20 250 PL upgrade for like $5 I’d be maybe more likely to double dip.

dengatron

Patch/content delivery in what precedent? Having a delayed launch from the console version? Lack of dedicated servers?

??? it's actual patch delivery system. the live updating play while you download streaming content delivery system that battle.net has integrated into all of it's games flawlessly. the fuck do dedicated servers have to do with that?

It doesn't threaten anything though because at the end of the day its just a launcher. It only seems to be threatening your idea of "every game on battle.net is perfect with no flaws"

I never said that. It's threatening my "idea" of changing the community I spent a good decade and half with into some storefront against Steam and Origin with a bunch of titles shoved into it.

??? it's actual patch delivery system. the live updating play while you download streaming content delivery system that battle.net has integrated into all of it's games flawlessly. the fuck do dedicated servers have to do with that?

Prioritization? Mechanical incompetency? Because a PC playerbase with a objectively better-playing game wants to be behind console updates.

I got the PS4 version and have been enjoying it, but I think I’m gonna feel satisfied and get my fill of the current run of content by the time the PC version comes out, and the notion of getting the enhanced visual fidelity and higher framerate isn’t enough to motivate me to work through it again.

I originally planned to double dip and even had the PC version preordered on Battle.net, but I’ve gotten it refunded and have decided I’m probably just gonna sit Destiny 2 out until next content wave, then just pick back up on PS4.

After playing the PC beta, I tried the console version thanks to a buddy of mine, and it really doesn’t hold a candle to the PC version. My buddy and I are holding out for the PC version, and I’m stoked.

Considering Diablo III is on Battle.net, such an idea would be utterly hilarious to even consider.

Battle.net was always under-utilized as a platform for only Blizzard games. Seeing Activision leveraging this asset to help make sure something like Destiny 2 has a smooth PC launch and lifetime seems like a pretty damn good idea to me. Especially since Battle.net also has anti-cheat protections and that sort of thing in place.

Aomber

I'm gonna be honest, the Angry Joe review turned me off of it, at least at the full $60 price tag. Plus I still have a lot of Borderlands 2 to play, I'd be playing D2 solo anyway and Borderlands 2 for me personally seems like the better game.

So what, are my points irrelevant? Do you feel that my points I put out are wrong? If so, I'm here to be enlightened.

Edit: Let me get my full argument here, as I admit I'm getting a bit heated myself. I want the franchise of Destiny to do good to be put alongside Blizzard games. I'm adamant against Destiny 2 (and the franchise so far by relation) because what I've seen/played is mediocrity and nothing what I expect of a game on the Battle.Net client. Either the game needs to get its shit together or stay off Battle.Net entirely. Again, Destiny 2 being a mediocre game on Battle.Net sets precedent for other mediocre games from Activision being shoved into it as well.
I understand your point but there's literally no reason to discuss this. Activision and Blizzard are the same company, if Activision wants their game on bnet they're gonna do that. Not saying Activision is the greatest company but it's as much their platform as it is Blizzard's at this point.

I was going to hold off for PC, but I have so many more friends playing on PS4 that I caved and got it there. I was still thinking about potentially selling that copy and going with PC once it's out, but I don't see myself redoing everything.

I know it's because each platform wants you to buy currency from them, but still, it's a real shame you can't sync characters across platforms. I'd almost certainly wind up buying and playing both on PS4 and PC that way.

Strakt

Considering Diablo III is on Battle.net, such an idea would be utterly hilarious to even consider.

Battle.net was always under-utilized as a platform for only Blizzard games. Seeing Activision leveraging this asset to help make sure something like Destiny 2 has a smooth PC launch and lifetime seems like a pretty damn good idea to me. Especially since Battle.net also has anti-cheat protections and that sort of thing in place.

Agreed. Not only will it help bring more players to Destiny from other games on battle.net, but it'll bring Destiny fans to try out some of Blizzard's other games (especially the free ones). Its a win win for everyone.

dengatron

Prioritization? Mechanical incompetency? Because a PC playerbase with a objectively better-playing game wants to be behind console updates.

either you're just being intentionally obtuse or you're missing the point. i'm talking about the way battle.net delivers patches to its users. that has literally nothing to do with dedicated servers or WHEN a platform gets patches compared to it's counterparts. destiny 2 dlc is confirmed to come to all platforms at the same time, btw. the only real question is if the first dlc will be day and date. have you kept up with the game at all?

JayBabay

So I couldn't help not being there on the launch on PS4 and now I'm at 298. So, I'm less excited about the PC version at this point but considering I have a good PC there's still something to look forward to besides the controls, which are the biggest reason.

Underutilized sure (original Battle.net is far superior still), compared to other digital platforms? Still better. Neither Steam or Origin (last I checked) allowed me to communicate seamlessly with friends in-game across all franchises (even Diablo 3 with its shit chat system).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
very -- I'm playing on PS4 and would so so so much prefer this with a mouse and keybaord

Underutilized sure (original Battle.net is far superior still), compared to other digital platforms? Still better. Neither Steam or Origin (last I checked) allowed me to communicate seamlessly with friends in-game across all franchises (even Diablo 3 with its shit chat system).

Wut

Steam Overlay has let you open and talk to your Steam friends in every game on Steam for many years now. Try hitting Alt-Tab next time you're in a game.

Wut

Steam Overlay has let you open and talk to your Steam friends in every game on Steam for many years now. Try hitting Alt-Tab next time you're in a game.

??? I said seamlessly. In WoW I don't have to halt the gameplay to chat with people. I can just do it via built-in channels. Same for SC2, Overwatch, D3, etc.

Tell your mastering skills of playing and chatting at the same time.

Lol, I can totes keep up top 5 DPS while chatting with friends about random shit mid-raid. No but seriously, yeah its a trivial feature, but I use it so often it becomes a good feature, despite its simplicity.

Edit: I play Shadow Priest, gotta keep Voidform up while chatting people at the same time. Extra challenge.

mrqs

After playing around 10 hours on PS4, I'm not going to get on PC anymore. And I was pretty hyped a few months ago.

Destiny 2 is recycled, is more of the same with slight tweaks. For me, it lost it inspiring heart, they embraced the loot madness and forgot to really show what Bungie can do.

Destiny 1 was one of the most disappointing games of the generation. Destiny 2 is a gigantic disappointment as a sequel.

Might you be having fun? Sure. But I need more than that. I don't see the effort on their part, I see just a money grabbing game that was rushed out of the door without earning it's "2" on the name.

Sarcasm

Lol, I can totes keep up top 5 DPS while chatting with friends about random shit mid-raid. No but seriously, yeah its a trivial feature, but I use it so often it becomes a good feature, despite its simplicity.

Edit: I play Shadow Priest, gotta keep Voidform up while chatting people at the same time. Extra challenge.

Yep. Overlay is pretty simple too.

So is voice.

sirap

I was hyped for the sequel but now that I've seen what it has to offer I think I'll pass on the game. Might buy it on sale/when the expansions hit.

I'll play AssCreed Origins instead. At least the PC version isn't delayed.

Yep. Overlay is pretty simple too.

So is voice.

Agreed. Battle.Net is executed better, even if its just a simple implementation. Aside from chat, there's the benefit of having the digital platforms UI being simplified in showing relevant information rather than bloated with multiple headers and menus. Both have their benefits because both are different platforms serving different purposes.

It's a better game to play with friends, but you can do every piece of content solo especially since they added a matchmaking system for all end game content. If you want to progress to Prestige (hardest difficulty) modes, then you'll probably have to use one of those LFG sites.

FWIW, I have been enjoying the game a lot playing alone and didn't feel like I wasted my money or anything. :)

I had fun playing Diablo 3 and it's expansions and all Borderlands games without friends or other people, so take my opinion with a shitload of salt if you're not like me. :p

I played DIablo 3 and Borderlands alone. If they're any indication of how would I enjoy Destiny 2, I think I can deal with that.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Thankfully they let me cancel my PC preorder. I was going to double dip but after playing D2 I really learned you have to play this with others or its a really meh game.

It definitely is a game where grouping is required to fully enjoy the game.

Once I got over that hurdle though, it's amazing...best community there is IMO.

Personally, I'm still pumped for the D2 PC release, as long as they don't touch the controller aim assist, I'll double dip (I only play on my couch with controller for Destiny as is my way).

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'll be getting on PC for sure. bought it on PS4.

i wasn't gonna double dip but couldn't wait. so i'm using the PS4 as a warm up and to get used to how everything works so that when PC launches I can hit the ground running. there are some things i'll be doing differently this time around.

PC will be my main platform. well, ideally, it'd be my only platform as i don't wanna go back to PS4 but if player count is really bad then i might go back to PS4 but hopefully it has a healthy player base.

Moderately. I watch some of the PvP streamers and that aspect looks pretty fun.

I expect I'll get my monies worth one way or the other...I think. Not sure. I look forward to asking D2GAF's opinion in a few weeks. That'll be a pretty good indicator of what the general mood is like a month+ in. If people aren't feeling it anymore or are down, I'll get a refund. Too many games to play to play something drab.

Top Bottom