• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Virtual Console Details

Eric C

NINTENDO IS CHEATING!

you can't do that!

you can't allow a 30cent game to chart! Ballon Fight is now #4 on all time charts
LLShC.gif

cheating!

If Ballon Fight can chart at #4.

Super Metroid better be #1 in May.

evanmisha

This doesn't read like a "trial" or rental to me.

It seems, it's basically a 30 day sale price.

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/downloads/virtual-console/

After specified promotional period, each game will be made available in the Nintendo eShop at regular price. Wii U owners who have purchased the game(s) during the promotional period will not need to purchase the game(s) again at the regular price. Games purchased during this promotional period are eligible for 2 points in the Deluxe Digital Program. Point value subject to change.

The price for each title will return to its normal price after the campaign distribution period is over. After that time, if you already own the Wii Virtual Console version, you will be able to purchase the game at the reduced price. If you do not own the Wii version, you can purchase the game at the normal eShop price. So I hope you will try out these games during the campaign period to see if you might be interested in buying a particular game.

Uh... I can't tell, either way.

EDIT: OH. It's like, if you DIDN'T already pick it up during the trial period, you'll have to get it at the regular or reduced price. At best, the name 'Trial Campaign' is unfortunate.

Eusis

NINTENDO IS CHEATING!

you can't do that!

you can't allow a 30cent game to chart! Ballon Fight is now #4 on all time charts
LLShC.gif

cheating!
Given the price that actually looks pretty poor for the game.

And while they should allow more flexible pricing on VC games, I don't thing it's right to compare the likes of iOS ports. The pricing scheme there seems completely thrown off in a way that really may not be viable for most companies, the nature of software means you COULD get away with charging next to nothing and not have to worry about at least production costs, and more importantly if a game's really good then it doesn't matter that it's lower end. Granted, I'd take something like Angry Birds over Balloon Flight if the latter weren't cheaper this time, but I'd prefer something like LttP on the SNES at 8 over GTA at 5 on iOS, plus there's something to be said about fitting the platform you're on, and GTA wants way too many buttons for me to be comfortable playing on iOS (nevermind that despite technically being supported it won't work on my aging iPod Touch).

netBuff

NINTENDO IS CHEATING!

you can't do that!

LLShC.gif

cheating!

The cheap price would mean its chances of selling well are much better than more expensive games - Balloon Fight is more of an impulse purchase. It's also new, the default view is biased towards recent "best sellers". But over here, Balloon Fight isn't to be seen anywhere in any of the Top 20 of best selling games lists: Hopefully, this means few people are interested in poor 50Hz versions.

serplux

Given the price that actually looks pretty poor for the game.

And while they should allow more flexible pricing on VC games, I don't thing it's right to compare the likes of iOS ports. The pricing scheme there seems completely thrown off in a way that really may not be viable for most companies, the nature of software means you COULD get away with charging next to nothing and not have to worry about at least production costs, and more importantly if a game's really good then it doesn't matter that it's lower end. Granted, I'd take something like Angry Birds over Balloon Flight if the latter weren't cheaper this time, but I'd prefer something like LttP on the SNES at 8 over GTA at 5 on iOS, plus there's something to be said about fitting the platform you're on, and GTA wants way too many buttons for me to be comfortable playing on iOS (nevermind that despite technically being supported it won't work on my aging iPod Touch).

I heard somewhere that the charts are organized by how much revenue a title has pulled it, not the amount of downloads it has, so Balloon Fight is a win for Nintendo. Nintendo also does flexible prices for its GB/GBC games on the 3DS, so I think it's just a legacy thing. GBA games will likely be the same way.

Eusis

I heard somewhere that the charts are organized by how much revenue a title has pulled it, not the amount of downloads it has, so Balloon Fight is a win for Nintendo. Nintendo also does flexible prices for its GB/GBC games on the 3DS, so I think it's just a legacy thing. GBA games will likely be the same way.
Ah, so it is like Steam apparently is. Yeah, that must be nearly every Wii U owner that follows the news enough.

I want to know who in their right mind thought that buying a Virtual Console game on the Wii entitled them to own the game in perpetuity and gave them the right the transfer it to any new console from Nintendo for the history of ever for free.

I mean, really? Really? You thought that? I know Sony is allowing whichever PSOne games they deem worthy to be played on the Vita if you bought it on PS3/PSP but I think Sony's position with the Vita is a bit *unique* given that there aren't many good games out and there are even fewer on the horizon.

Of course I'd love for moving a VC game from Wii to Wii U to be free, but to be sad/mad/pissy about paying a dollar to transfer? Nah.

They "allow" it because IT'S THE SAME FUCKING GAME. It's the same disc image. It's literally the same file stored on the same server.

If you buy FFVII through the vita, you are not buying a vita version of the game. You are buying the ps1 version of FFVII. If you buy FFVII through a psp, you are not buying a psp version of the game. You are buying the ps1 version of FFVII. If you buy FVII through a ps3, you are not buying a ps3 version of the game. You are buying the ps1 version of FFVII. If you buy SMB through a wii u, you are not buying a wii u version of SMB. You are buying the NES version of SMB.

Eric C

The price for each title will return to its normal price after the campaign distribution period is over. After that time, if you already own the Wii Virtual Console version, you will be able to purchase the game at the reduced price. If you do not own the Wii version, you can purchase the game at the normal eShop price. So I hope you will try out these games during the campaign period to see if you might be interested in buying a particular game.
Uh... I can't tell, either way.
That ^ is not anywhere on this page.
http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/downloads/virtual-console/
The red bold stuff is on that page though.

Is the above quote just a quick translation of what Iwata said? Maybe something didn't get translated correctly?

EDIT: OH. It's like, if you DIDN'T already pick it up during the trial period, you'll have to get it at the regular or reduced price. At best, the name 'Trial Campaign' is unfortunate.

It's like Nintendo is afraid to use the word "sale" in association with their 1st party games or something.

So instead of calling it a sale they came up with this weird "Trial Campaign" thing and confused the fuck out of everybody.

Def Jukie

So, is the emulator they are using essentially the same as the original Wii Virtual Console? I'm curious if anyone has done any sort of in depth comparison on Balloon Fight. Some people seem to be claiming the image is kind of blurry. I don't remember there being any filters on the Wii Virtual Console (besides TG16 games). Everything always looked really crisp to me even on an HDTV.

I wouldn't mind paying a nominal fee for the upgrade to play on the pad, miiverse, etc. if I didn't have to transfer all my VC games over to the Wii U. I still have all my Virtual Console games on my old Wii hooked up to an old SDTV through component. I think I may just leave them where they are at because they look great on there. I know this isn't going to be an issue for most people but I really like keeping an old TV for retro games. I'm assuming once you move an existing purchase to the eshop the one in the Wii shop will cease to exist and that you will have to have moved your games over to the Wii U to begin with. I hope I'm wrong but I know I'm not.

zroid

Banned
It's like Nintendo is afraid to use the word "sale" in association with their 1st party games or something.

So instead of calling it a sale they came up with this weird "Trial Campaign" thing and confused the fuck out of everybody.

"Trial Campaign" doesn't refer to the discounts, but the opportunity to "try" the Wii U Virtual Console before it goes officially live later this year.

Here's the page where the blurb is located: http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/downloads/virtual-console/

JLUdRPN.png

It was presented slightly confusingly in the Nintendo Direct, but it's crystal clear now.

evanmisha

"Trial Campaign" doesn't refer to the discounts, but the opportunity to "try" the Wii U Virtual Console before it goes officially live later this year.

Here's the page where that blurb is located: http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/downloads/virtual-console/

It was presented slightly confusingly in the Nintendo Direct, but it's crystal clear now.

Nintendo really likes making me feel stupid. Like, I don't know the secret handshake or something.

Pociask

Here's the page where that blurb is located: http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/downloads/virtual-console/

Except the discounted games continue into August, and the Virtual Console is supposed to go live in the Spring.

Nintendo just messed up the messaging, there's no consistent idea behind it. Iwata is clearly referring to a trial period - try it, then buy it! It's called Trial Campaign. The fine print, though, also clearly says it's a discounted game - a one game a month sale to promote the service, before and after it launches. There's no logic connecting those two things.

The word used in the Japanese presentation was 体験 (taiken), which is usually used as "demo." I absolutely thought these were going to be 30-day demos. In hindsight, they're trying to say you can try out the Wii U Virtual Console service with the special promotional rate so you'll be enticed to become a regular customer at full price.

alf717

Does the eShop hold onto your CC info? Also where would be a good place to pick up the eShop cards? I'm guessing the old Nintendo points card doesn't work the same as eShop cards? Kind want to pick up Balloon Fight.

zroid

Banned
Except the discounted games continue into August, and the Virtual Console is supposed to go live in the Spring.

Nintendo just messed up the messaging, there's no consistent idea behind it. Iwata is clearly referring to a trial period - try it, then buy it! It's called Trial Campaign. The fine print, though, also clearly says it's a discounted game - a one game a month sale to promote the service, before and after it launches. There's no logic connecting those two things.

It's okay, we all know it's a little confusing, including me. There's no need to have this argument.

You can define the word "trial" however you want -- try out VC games for cheap, try them before the service goes live, etc. -- either way the games are yours to keep, this we now know.

Does the eShop hold onto your CC info? Also where would be a good place to pick up the eShop cards? I'm guessing the old Nintendo points card doesn't work the same as eShop cards? Kind want to pick up Balloon Fight.

You can choose whether or not you want it to hold onto your CC info. Best buy, Gamestop, places like that are generally good for getting eShop cards.

alf717

You can choose whether or not you want it to hold onto your CC info. Best buy, Gamestop, places like that are generally good for getting eShop cards.

Thank you. Haven't used the Wii U much but the recent Nintendo Direct has me pumped for what is coming down the road for the console.

Eusis

It probably cost them more to run $.30 on my credit card lol
I felt bad enough about that I got $10 credit for that reason.

... And the fact I wanted to be sure it went through, and because I'd either get a game with that cash or grab the others for 30 cents as they pop up. I figure at least F-Zero will be on that.

Josh7289

They "allow" it because IT'S THE SAME FUCKING GAME. It's the same disc image. It's literally the same file stored on the same server.

If you buy FFVII through the vita, you are not buying a vita version of the game. You are buying the ps1 version of FFVII. If you buy FFVII through a psp, you are not buying a psp version of the game. You are buying the ps1 version of FFVII. If you buy FVII through a ps3, you are not buying a ps3 version of the game. You are buying the ps1 version of FFVII. If you buy SMB through a wii u, you are not buying a wii u version of SMB. You are buying the NES version of SMB.

Wait, no you're not. If you bought Super Mario Bros. on the Wii Virtual Console, you bought a Wii version of Super Mario Bros. It's an emulator written for NES games presumably with hacks for Super Mario Bros. bundled with a Super Mario Bros. ROM and also set up to output as best as possible on a Wii. That's the software you bought.

That's why a hypothetical Wii U Virtual Console version of SMB would technically be a different piece of software; it would be a different emulator that can run on Wii U with different output settings, etc.

You're right that FFVII on PSN is the same between PS3, PSP, and Vita. It literally is the same disc image on each platform, and the emulators that can run that disc image on each system are built-into the system (I THINK). But it's not so with the Wii and Wii U; the software to run the game images (ROMs) are bundled with and tuned specifically for those images on that specific platform (either Wii or Wii U), for each and every Virtual Console game.

VanWinkle

Wait, no you're not. If you buy Super Mario Bros. on the Wii Virtual Console, you bought a Wii version of Super Mario Bros. It's an emulator written for NES games presumably with hacks for Super Mario Bros. bundled with a Super Mario Bros. ROM and also set up to output as best as possible on a Wii. That's the software you bought.

That's why a Wii U Virtual Console version of SMB is technically a different game; it would be a different emulator that can run on Wii U with different output settings, etc.

PSP has its own PS1 emulator, PS3 has its own PS1 emulator, and Vita has its own PS1 emulator, yet nobody expects them to each cost their own amount.

Wait, no you're not. If you bought Super Mario Bros. on the Wii Virtual Console, you bought a Wii version of Super Mario Bros. It's an emulator written for NES games presumably with hacks for Super Mario Bros. bundled with a Super Mario Bros. ROM and also set up to output as best as possible on a Wii. That's the software you bought.

That's why a hypothetical Wii U Virtual Console version of SMB would technically be a different piece of software; it would be a different emulator that can run on Wii U with different output settings, etc.

You're right that FFVII on PSN is the same between PS3, PSP, and Vita. It literally is the same disc image on each platform, and the emulators that can run that disc image on each system are built-into the system (I THINK). But it's not so with the Wii and Wii U; the software to run the game images (ROMs) are bundled with and tuned specifically for those images on that specific platform (either Wii or Wii U), for each and every Virtual Console game.

So we have to pay extra because Nintendo is too incompetent to figure out universal emulators of 20+ year old pieces of hardware?

Morts

Until you realise price is what people are willing to pay for a product and there are people who are willing to pay for these NES games.

Who says people are willing to pay it? We have no idea what Virtual Console sales are like. If it was a huge moneymaker it would've been better supported throughout the Wii's life cycle and it would've been on Wii U at launch.

Who says people are willing to pay it? We have no idea what Virtual Console sales are like. If it was a huge moneymaker it would've been better supported throughout the Wii's life cycle and it would've been on Wii U at launch.

Given that Nintendo has kept this pricing from the Wii to the 3DS and now the Wii U, it should be safe to say that people are willing to pay it.

Roo

This is what I've been thinkin
is it safe to use your CC on the eShop?
I mean... after Sony and Microsoft's hack fiasco I'm a little worried about my info lol

I have never used a CC in a Nintendo platform before so I'm not sure how reliable their security system is :p

Eusis

So we have to pay extra because Nintendo is too incompetent to figure out universal emulators of 20+ year old pieces of hardware?
I actually wonder if it's that they're too ANAL, I seem to recall reading about near perfect compatibility for WAD injectors on NES/SNES games. In fact I do wonder if the Spring update implants the emulator on a system level with these being stopgap measures.

alf717

I guess the $1 thing is OK... But the fact that games will trickle out like the Wii doesn't have me thrilled. A ROM is a ROM so I feel you are really only buying an updated emulator. I still kind of feel that this doesn't bode well for future Nintendo consoles.

Josh7289

Yes. But even if they had universal emulators on Wii and Wii U, I could still see a justification for charging a small amount to move ROMs purchased on Wii to Wii U, since they would have had to develop a new universal emulator for Wii U and that costs money. That Sony isn't charging extra for the development of separate universal emulators on PS3, PSP, and Vita is really a gesture of goodwill on their part.

But also, when the Wii VC game was purchased, it was only ever a purchase for a Wii VC game. It was never a license to that game on every future platform Nintendo would ever release. At least the amount they are charging to upgrade to the Wii U version of a Wii VC game is relatively small.

Anyway, it's just capitalism. And again what Sony is doing is not the capitalistic thing to do, but more so just a nice way to reward their customers (though they may also have calculated that that reward is worth more than any potential backlash for charging extra for each universal emulator).

zroid

Banned
$10 minimum. Annoyingly. Otherwise I would've gone for $5.

Yikes, really? I'm pretty sure it's $5 on 3DS. Why would they change it. :S

is it safe to use your CC on the eShop?
I mean... after Sony and Microsoft's hack fiasco I'm a little worried about my info lol

I have never used a CC in a Nintendo platform before so I'm not sure how reliable their security system is :p

It's safe. Your cc is stored ON the console, and it's also password protected in case someone steals it or whatever.

VanWinkle

Right, because those emulators are all built-into the systems, right?

I don't know, because not every game on the store is compatible on the Vita store. They have to ensure that it works on it, which may or may not involve actually doing work (I don't know). Are you saying that Wii U is essentially porting these games to the Wii U and it's not emulating them?

Yes. But even if they had universal emulators on Wii and Wii U, I could still see a justification for charging a small amount to move ROMs purchased on Wii to Wii U, since they would have had to develop a new universal emulator for Wii U and that costs money. That Sony isn't charging extra for the development of separate universal emulators on PS3, PSP, and Vita is really a gesture of goodwill on their part.

No it isn't. It's a gesture of not being dumb fucking idiots like nintendo. Nintendo is the only company practicing this kind of fuckery towards its customers. Nobody else does it. They're the exception, not Sony.

Those universal emulators are just features of those consoles, which are already paid for upon purchase obviously. Kind of like how gamepad streaming is a feature of the wii u that you just paid $300 for. Actually it's the main feature.

Anyway, it's just capitalism. And again what Sony is doing is not the capitalistic thing to do, but more so just a nice way to reward their customers (though they may also have calculated that that reward is worth more than any potential backlash for charging extra for each universal emulator).

Oh really? Are you implying that Nintendo has generated more revenue through VC than Sony has through ps1/ps2/psp classics?

You think the ROM is any different between any of these so called "versions" of SMB? They aren't. Only thing different is the packaged emulator. It is absolutely no different than the FFVII comparison, only that Sony runs the ISO through a system wide ps1 emulator instead of making an emulator for each separate game. And that's a detail that makes absolutely no difference for the end user, so using the "but each game has its own emulator!" excuse as justification for charging again is pretty damn weak.

It's hard to come up with a truly precise analogy that matches this case. It's kind of a unique circumstance. It's not that Nintendo is charging extra to play your digital games on your new Nintendo system, it's that they're charging extra to play your digital games with new features that are exclusive to that system and (presumably) non-trivial to implement, since it's not done at the OS level.

On the one hand, I see the rationale that Nintendo wants to recoup some of the cost of implementing that functionality, which, if I'm understanding this right, has to be done to each title individually.

On the other, it does feel like a tax on BC, which feels like gouging. Rightly or wrongly, there seems to be an expectation that digital purchases should carry over to subsequent generations.

The only similar instance I can think of in recent times is how Steam owners of Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath got the HD upgrade for free when it was finally released. And sure, from a consumer standpoint, it's cool when that happens. But I'm not sure it's reasonable in general to expect publishers to add additional functionality to existing games far after they're released at no additional cost.

It's a mistake to say that Nintendo is alone in this because we don't know how Sony and MS will handle their digital purchases for next gen. They might do something similar to recoup the cost of however they add BC (if they do at all).

We know how digital purchases are handled by Sony, you can play your digital PS1 games on 3 devices and your digital PSP games on 2 devices. I think it's safe to say that if PS4 can play PS3 games, then you will not be charged an extra fee to play them.

Eusis

Eh, it's pretty much the same as sticking a quarter into an arcade machine to play something while waiting. Problem is it's on our home console, not something that'll just be there while at a diner or laundromat. Plus it satisfies the part of me that just wants to see how VC games work on the Wii U, F-Zero will be the game I want to really get, as well the rest other than Donkey Kong (unify and let me use my "complete" DK on Wii U!)

Drago

Balloon Fight is excellent for 30¢ (or free if you're a 3DS ambassador).

I would never, NEVER pay $5 for it though.

HeySeuss

Does anybody know when transferring you Wii VC to the WiiU, is it all or nothing? Or can you choose which games you want to import over? I'm wondering because I have all of the 30 cent games on my Wii and want to leave them there and buy them on WiiU and pay the 2.10 for all of them but I want to pull the other games.

evanmisha

As great and confusing as the sale is, and as irritating as the reduced price is (to some people), my favourite part of this news is easily the makeshift 'Occupy Balloon Fight' going on at Miiverse by Mother fans.

Cjkorea

It's all or nothing. Lost winds doesn't transfer though. Or you could do a nand backup first.

As for regretting the 30 cents purchase... Keep playing. The game is tough and rewarding. Maybe you quit because you died over and over and became frustrated. It's 30 cents.

Oh really? Are you implying that Nintendo has generated more revenue through VC than Sony has through ps1/ps2/psp classics?
Well, we don't know for sure but they most likely have. More titles, more platforms and generally higher pricepoints, plus Wii VC got off to an insane start (over 10m games sold it's first year). Do you have any reason to believe otherwise?

Eusis

I can't imagine "regretting" paying 30 cents for pretty much anything.
Well, there's spending money on a card perhaps just to get the game, if that's the only way you intend to get eShop stuff that's going to leave an annoyingly odd amount, but then going to cents is going to cause that anyway, and a single "needed funds" purchase should wipe that out.

Terrell

Cool, I can play GBA games that I passed on because I don't buy handhelds. SWEET. All that's missing now is DS Virtual Console and I'm set to go.

So no N64 support? Or did I miss that.

Seems like it's temporarily out of the picture. But given how utterly small the N64 selection was in the first place, I'm not surprised they're focusing on the NES and SNES library first.

Of course they're going to be ROMs. All of that stuff will be emulator side. Charging people again is ridiculous.

They're ROMs wrapped in individually-written emulation. Which will all need a re-write. Be happy it's not more they're asking for, there's lots of software companies that charge more for less manpower.

On the other, it does feel like a tax on BC, which feels like gouging. Rightly or wrongly, there seems to be an expectation that digital purchases should carry over to subsequent generations.

They did. It's called Wii Mode. And nothing's stopping someone from not upgrading.

I just can't believe people think off-screen play and gamepad support justifies an extra fee. That's what the Wii U does. That's its big thing. It has a screen that you use to interact with everything; why WOULDN'T it have off-screen play? I understand that those who only use Nintendo systems may not get this, but the rest of us are used to our digital games transferring to other systems and used with their respective controllers for no extra cost.

They do. Wii Remotes, which are required for any multiplayer game, allow you to play these games with controllers meant to be used with the system.

Comparing this to the PS3's use of "respective controllers" is hilarious when you consider that the PlayStation controller essentially hasn't changed. AT ALL.

And off-TV play is easy to implement in games that aren't already a finished product. But you can't just flip a bloody switch and expect perfect compatibility, there IS work involved. And much like off-TV play likely has to be tweaked for each game that implements it at the raw code level, so too would the emulators that are piping an emulated product to another screen wirelessly.

The day that Sony implements a glitch-free emulation solution, then we have a right to criticize Nintendo's approach. Until then, it's a choice for the sake of usability over ease of implementation. From a user standpoint, it surprises me that you're railing so hard against the former and not the latter, since only the former serves benefit to you as a consumer.

Top Bottom