• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirokazu

Old but in pretty good nick bed and wardrobes amd not even charities will take em. They appear to only want like new furniture.
Charities are super picky about what they'll take, and it really surprised and disappointed me. We had a bunch of ex-commercial mattresses that we wanted to get rid of. They were all in good, usable condition. We called up two charities, one of them came and picked through all of them and only took one or two that were free from any visual blemishes - basically, the ones that looked like they could pass off as new.

I mean, I don't mean to put down people in need of charity, but when my family was trying to get by back in the day, we'd pick up furniture that people threw out on the curb. We thought giving away mattresses that were in pretty great shape to charity would really help some folks out.

Needless to say, we ended up putting them on Gumtree instead and people gladly snapped them up in an instant. It was literally a race to see who picked them up first. The lesson is, charities kinda suck at this and we'll just give them away on Gumtree in future. The charity probably took the few they did to sell at their thrift stores rather than distribute them to people in need, which is what I thought they did.

Charities are super picky about what they'll take, and it really surprised and disappointed me. We had a bunch of ex-commercial mattresses that we wanted to get rid of. They were all in good, usable condition. We called up two charities, one of them came and picked through all of them and only took one or two that were free from any visual blemishes - basically, the ones that looked like they could pass off as new.

I mean, I don't mean to put down people in need of charity, but when my family was trying to get by back in the day, we'd pick up furniture that people threw out on the curb. We thought giving away mattresses that were in pretty great shape to charity would really help some folks out.

Needless to say, we ended up putting them on Gumtree instead and people gladly snapped them up in an instant. It was literally a race to see who picked them up first. The lesson is, charities kinda suck at this and we'll just give them away on Gumtree in future. The charity probably took the few they did to sell at their thrift stores rather than distribute them to people in need, which is what I thought they did.
The way charities operate, money is way more useful than tangible goods. It's the same reasoning behind why we don't operate on a barter economy anymore - if you end up with something large and inconvenient that nobody in your network wants or needs, you still need to spend resources moving, storing and preserving it.

When your aim is to help people in need, tangible goods can actually get in the way and make your operation hugely inefficient. Donating tinned food to flood victims may make you feel good, but then the Red Cross has the problem of how to get the food from where you are over to their distribution centres and thence to the affected area. It's a much better use of their time to just buy food in bulk from local suppliers and only worry about the logistics of getting it where it needs to go.

Gumtree, on the other hand, is infrastructure built around just the idea of moving stuff around. They don't need to help anyone, so they get good at doing what they do.

Just wanna say if you wanna get rid of old towels, pillow cases (without ridiculous amount of headsweat) and sheets are very useful to animal charities. We go through them like crazy at my shelter.

Mattresses, doonas and pillows are probably the only things we really turn away.

Quasar

Yeah. After my original post I put the bed on gumtree and within 10 minutes I had bites and now I have several full blown offers to take it off my hands.

Certainly I understand the issue of charities getting stuck with donations they cannot get rid of, or stuff of such poor quality its only tip worthy, but still only accepting like new items seems to be going a bit far.

Quasar

Just wanna say if you wanna get rid of old towels, pillow cases (without ridiculous amount of headsweat) and sheets are very useful to animal charities. We go through them like crazy at my shelter.

Mattresses, doonas and pillows are probably the only things we really turn away.

Its funny...St Vinnies when I rang them, would not take the bed base, but were happy to look at a mattress if not torn. I sort of expected the opposite, with them uninterested in used mattresses but would be interested in a bed base.

rrvv

So i will be going to Melbourne and Perth next month for 6-8 days or so

Question is. I don't what to do there @_@

Do you guys have some recommendations on activities what to do there. Or place to visit.

My preference
1) somethign that unique to that region. Like Sydney opera house. I don't particularly like beach though but you can recommend it if it exceptional.
2) something majority of tourist doesn't know. hidden gem that local only know.

Thanks in advance

Kritz

Banned
I'll prob buy tickets soon. I actually don't really even care for PAX, but GCAP last year was awesome, and I kinda just like an excuse to go to a Big Thing and spend a week in melb.

last year i went with a close friend and it was pretty chill.

(also hi ausgaf)

Recreat3

Anyone else here with st george bank and receive an email stating that you have been rewarded with 10% off your online gaming purchases? I just got $4.49 back haha

Going to take my son to one of the days and have the whole family in town for the weekend at PAX which will be interesting. Son is old enough now to drink it all in. I'm pretty eh on PAX now aside from the social aspect, great to meet a lot of developers. Who knows, I might actually be doing media stuff for PressStart at it, not sure. Will be a great breather from my shit work life at least!

If I had the coin I'd probably just go to RTX next year. Sounded awesome and was much more focused on that social aspect.

Dmax3901

By the by, if anyone feels that new story I posted is worth a new thread, please feel free. I can't do it cause of the self-promotion rules on gaf.

However will I play this video game that I can purchase from digital distribution. Somebody please, think of the children.

Why the hell do we even have an R classification?

It's complicated.
The R rating was a step in the right direction but even the classification board are ham strung to a certain degree. They are bound by the guidelines agreed upon. The newer rating system allows more flexibility but still has its pitfalls, especially for indie developers who don't know what to watch out for.

If this was a big publisher I'm sure they'd get through with an R fine. The little local publisher will go back to the dev, make a few tweaks, resubmit with some differing descriptions of events and will get an R. It's an easy system to game, for better or worse.

KrisB

Anyone else here with st george bank and receive an email stating that you have been rewarded with 10% off your online gaming purchases? I just got $4.49 back haha

That must explain the random credit I noticed in my account the other day haha.
Was $7ish and had the description as St George.

Milijango

NieR Automata completely out of stock at JB (not even listed online) and $100 at EB.

Fuck.

Damn. I got my copy at launch, but how many stock issues have there been this year?

No one should have to pay $100 for a video game (though it looks like we might be out of luck with Persona).

Damn. I got my copy at launch, but how many stock issues have there been this year?

No one should have to pay $100 for a video game (though it looks like we might be out of luck with Persona).

Speaking of Persona, we have no choice but to get the steelbook version at launch? I really like the standard cover art :(

Do Steelbook copies ever come with the standard cover alongside the steelbook? EB has this as the image for it:

218427_packshot_l04.jpg

Surely it'll get restocked, right?

For sure, I'm almost done with Zelda though and wanted to drive straight into it.

Speaking of Persona, we have no choice but to get the steelbook version at launch? I really like the standard cover art :(

Do Steelbook copies ever come with the standard cover alongside the steelbook? EB has this as the image for it:

One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 for PS4 had the standard case included with the steel book.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same situation!

MoonGred

Does a normal amazon account work with amazon.co.jp? For some reason mine won't let me login to the Japanese one, all other countries are fine.

Does anyone use Get Gaming? It is like a gamefly or dvds-in-the-post ye olde Netflix for $35 a month for 2 games at a time (with more you want sent when you send one or both back). Or $25 a month for one game at a time. http://www.getgaming.com.au/rental_plans_pricing

I don't know if it would be good like for its turn-around time for getting another game or the condition of the games and the supply they have for niche games. Or any mistakes to avoid. Or if there is a better competitor.

Does anyone use Get Gaming? It is like a gamefly or dvds-in-the-post ye olde Netflix for $35 a month for 2 games at a time (with more you want sent when you send one or both back). Or $25 a month for one game at a time. http://www.getgaming.com.au/rental_plans_pricing

I don't know if it would be good like for its turn-around time for getting another game or the condition of the games and the supply they have for niche games. Or any mistakes to avoid. Or if there is a better competitor.

I used to use it, had no problems. The disks always worked, it was pretty easy to get new releases. It was a bit cheaper then, $27.95 for two at a time. Someone new seems to own it now as it's based in SA not Melbourne, or was it Sydney, and with Australia Posts new go slow campaign there might be a lot of downtime with only 1 game at a time.

You used to be able to mark that you've sent the old game back so they would send a new one immediately.

Bit expensive for someone like me who takes ages to get through games.

Back in MYYYYY day we had video rental stores where you could get a game for $3 a week. We also walked uphill in the snow both ways to school.

Back in MYYYYY day we had video rental stores where you could get a game for $3 a week. We also walked uphill in the snow both ways to school.

True, used to rent new games at $10 for 3 nights but sadly all those rental stores seem to have gone out of business.

True, used to rent new games at $10 for 3 nights but sadly all those rental stores seem to have gone out of business.

My local Blockbuster is still hanging on, been a while since I've been there though. It used to be $14.95 for 3 days and $17.95 for new stuff. The place has downsized a few times, first they cut it in half and a Asian takeaway took over and not long after the front half became a frozen yougurt/icecream place. It'll probably be a gym next week with one copy of the weeks releases hidden under the counter.

My local Blockbuster is still hanging on, been a while since I've been there though. It used to be $14.95 for 3 days and $17.95 for new stuff. The place has downsized a few times, first they cut it in half and a Asian takeaway took over and not long after the front half became a frozen yougurt/icecream place. It'll probably be a gym next week with one copy of the weeks releases hidden under the counter.

The same thing happened to the video ezy (or blockbuster?) near my house lol. Asian takeaway

Jintor

i think i'm done with link's myth: breathing wild for a while, fought the big boss, climbed a tall thing, had enough open world for a while. amazing game, i'll probably never touch a generic ubi open world forever now

what's the cheapest i can buy nier for pc

I used to use it, had no problems. The disks always worked, it was pretty easy to get new releases. It was a bit cheaper then, $27.95 for two at a time. Someone new seems to own it now as it's based in SA not Melbourne, or was it Sydney, and with Australia Posts new go slow campaign there might be a lot of downtime with only 1 game at a time.

You used to be able to mark that you've sent the old game back so they would send a new one immediately.
Thanks, I'll probably try it out soon. Not for all games but shorter games or riskier purchases.

Growing up in the '90s, my parents always said it was too expensive to rent games. I don't know how true that was.

tried to appeal to others in other sections and other forums but so far no luck

looking to get ahold of a US copy of UMSVC3 for PS4 or perhaps some other region if the comics in english? tho having problems locating any sites that stock it outside of ebay and one of the sites i linked to in a diffrent thread is out of stock - would be intresting to see a Press start article on this Rep :p guess AU and EU wont be getting it but asia/japan and the US are ... ,

also looking at getting this Drive for my PS4 - tho im unsure of the drives speed cant be as slow as those enterprise drives that seagate pumped out at consumer level prices a few years back ( tho iv not used em)

trying to figure out if i should be picking up a bare drive or going with a diffrent brand not big on seagate drives but iv heard its WD that are cheaping out with there drives ....

but yea trying to figure out a Cost break down - theres an idea for an Article Rep :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom