• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fromsoftware's new project teased (Shadows Die Twice)

Masagiwa

I wonder if we'll get more details at PSX.

Maybe we really don't know.

We got some confirmation on twitter that information about the game will come within a year from a former SIE employee who worked on promotion and marketing for Bloodborne. He is now working at Fromsoftware. In the japanese tweet he explained that the we would not have to wait 12 months for new information.

dQ4QBWX.jpg
QuOMb5c.jpg

With the drum beat and what looks like calligraphy, this doesn't seem like Bloodborne to me. Seems more like a feudal Japan martial arts / ninja / samurai type dark fantasy.

Zurick

Banned
Is no one stating that the weapon/device on top of the parchment is made of bone? That's more Bloodborne than Tenchu. What if it's a combination of both Feudal Japan and Souls like?

Pejo

Is no one stating that the weapon/device on top of the parchment is made of bone? That's more Bloodborne than Tenchu. What if it's a combination of both Feudal Japan and Souls like?

I was thinking that maybe one of the ninjas modified their own body to have a built in grappling hook/rope thing for moving around or strangling people.

Either way, I think this is either going to be Eastern Souls (spin off) or Tenchu, but I'm excited no matter what it is.

xviper

why some people want Bloodborne 2 ?? did these people start the series with Bloodborne ??

to those who started since Demon's souls like me back in 2009, do you want another soulsborne game ?? personally i'm completely done with the series, i can't play anymore

in a course of 7 years they released 5 soulsborne games, that's too much, they need to relax, Dark souls 3 was a lazy, uninspired, boring, repetitive piece of shit, and that is because of the rush in releasing it, the series needs to rest

Fromsoftware, please bring back Tenchu and our boy, Rikimaru

masterkajo

Since I don't own a ps4 and Bloodborne alone was not enough for me to buy one, I want this to be what Dark Souls was to Demon's Souls.

Sony must be really nice if they let From do that twice.

Sony has no say in the matter.

I was thinking that maybe one of the ninjas modified their own body to have a built in grappling hook/rope thing for moving around or strangling people.

Either way, I think this is either going to be Eastern Souls (spin off) or Tenchu, but I'm excited no matter what it is.

I thought maybe it was part of a body as well.

autoduelist

why some people want Bloodborne 2 ?? did these people start the series with Bloodborne ??

to those who started since Demon's souls like me back in 2009, do you want another soulsborne game ?? personally i'm completely done with the series, i can't play anymore

in a course of 7 years they released 5 soulsborne games, that's too much, they need to relax, Dark souls 3 was a lazy, uninspired, boring, repetitive piece of shit, and that is because of the rush in releasing it, the series needs to rest

Fromsoftware, please bring back Tenchu and our boy, Rikimaru

Because not everyone agrees with you? I've plat'd all of them but DS3 [which will happen soon], and played them since PS3.

I'm perfectly happy with another one from -any- series [Demon's 2, Dark 4, BB2]. I'd also love a remaster of Demon's. I'm really not concerned that -you- couldn't play another one, there are plenty who could.

Hissing Sid

PleasebemorebloodbornePleasebemorebloodbornePleasebemorebloodbornePleasebemorebloodbornePleasebemorebloodbornePleasebemorebloodbornePleasebemorebloodbornePleasebemorebloodbornePleasebemorebloodbornePleasebemorebloodbornePleasebemorebloodbornePleasebemorebloodbornePleasebemorebloodbornePleasebemorebloodbornePleasebemorebloodbornePleasebemorebloodbornePleasebemorebloodbornePleasebemorebloodbornePleasebemorebloodborne

Please?

Dargor

Sony has no say in the matter.

Of course they have. At the time it was something everybody asked why sony didn't sue From for Dark Souls.

Even if their relationship is great, with From making them games all the time, I doubt Sony would let it slide once again.

But in the end, we don't even know what this game is, just hoping its something good.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
The only thing that keeps the dream alive is that the font is strikingly close to Bloodborne font. I've examined the font of the tooltips during loading screens closely and the resemblance is there to a point of being literally the same. (the d's for example)

If it's not BB2, it would be a spiritual successor that is Japanese themed rather than Western/European. So font and Bloody Bone Twisting is all I can rely on for the time being.

The last thing I'd want to ask is if the name is a Working Title or Project name or is it truly the name of the game?
There is no Project before the main name, so perhaps that too would give it away?

I'm about as curious about this as I was after watching the first Death Stranding Trailer.

The only thing that keeps the dream alive is that the font is strikingly close to Bloodborne font. I've examined the font of the tooltips during loading screens closely and the resemblance is there to a point of being literally the same. (the d's for example)

If it's not BB2, it would be a spiritual successor that is Japanese themed rather than Western/European. So font and Bloody Bone Twisting is all I can rely on for the time being.

The last thing I'd want to ask is if the name is a Working Title or Project name or is it truly the name of the game?
There is no Project before the main name, so perhaps that too would give it away?

I'm about as curious about this as I was after watching the first Death Stranding Trailer.

Probably only a phrase, but it's from Tenchu, the exact phrase. Also, there's a kunai attached further going with the idea that this is Tenchu's grappling hook:

TenchuKunai-1024x434.png

Either way, it's not going to be Bloodborne 2 based on this teaser.

Shifty

The hype train is already rolling. We'll be seeing wild claims of a Tenchuborne crossover title before this thread runs its course, mark my words.

I'm super down for a new Tenchu game.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
The hype train is already rolling. We'll be seeing wild claims of Japanborne before this thread runs its course, mark my words.

I'd be down for Japanborne.

Probably only a phrase, but it's from Tenchu, the exact phrase. Also, there's a kunai attached further going with the idea that this is Tenchu's grappling hook:

If they go for the grotesque and nightmarish, I don't care what it is. From has proven to be masters of enemy and boss creation. Some of the most unique designs in the industry, imho.

I want Bloodborne 2 as well but seriously a Tenchu game by current From is even more of a dream game IMO. I think some are underrated how fucking awesome it would be.

Sanador

It sure looks like Bloodborne to me. I am hyped, and will be looking for more info later tonight. PSX Presentation is at 11:00PM Eastern

Of course they have. At the time it was something everybody asked why sony didn't sue From for Dark Souls.

Even if their relationship is great, with From making them games all the time, I doubt Sony would let it slide once again.

But in the end, we don't even know what this game is, just hoping its something good.

Let what slide? A game with the name Souls in it with similar playstyle? None of the same characters, different plot, all new assets. The engine is free use. Legally Sony wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Financially, Sony is smart enough not to try and squash a close partners chance at profit. This is FROM/Miyazaki's vision.

I need this at 60fps on the PS4Pro with 4K support.

Good luck with that CPU.30fps , 4K CB maybe, actually likely 1800 CB.

LordOfChaos

Tried to kill my hype because a lot of this says not Bloodborne, but...Stretching here:

In the old Hunters DLC, there was a hunter in the dungeons that was from an Eastern land. His name was Yamamura and you could get his set from his corpse, the clothes were unique as it was Oriental themed.

This coupled with the fact that we are getting the comic, an expansion to the card game, a new statue, and the recently found fire giant making bloodborne pop up in the news and minds of gamers again, makes my hype train hard to stop.

The events of Bloodborne as seen in other cities and nations would be super interesting.

Jingo

The asian beats are killing the dream, strike that off and it looks like a bloodborne teaser, either way their next game looks like...a dark rpg?

I mean no matter what it turns out to be, at their current level of mastery I'm fucking excited for whatever.

Could also be another option and be a new IP spiritual successor of sorts to Tenchu and their accumulated Souls chops all combined which I think is quite likely. It sure looks once again quite grimy and dingy based on this. Not many studios can dish that feel and look out with the severity of From, so I'm all for it.

Mathrin

I mean no matter what it turns out to be, at their current level of mastery I'm fucking excited for whatever.

Could also be another option and be a new IP spiritual successor of sorts to Tenchu and their accumulated Souls chops all combined which I think is quite likely. It sure looks once again quite grimy and dingy based on this. Not many studios can dish that feel and look out with the severity of From, so I'm all for it.

"Nioh? thats a nice idea. Let the masters do this."

Toni

Still adamant that this is Bloodborne 2.

No Tenchu game has featured weapons made out out Beast bones and excess of blood lol.

Bloodborne is synonymous with Trick weapons that are made out of beast arms, bones and teeths and blood. Especially in The Old Hunters Dlc.

I am fucking ready for Bloodborne 2. All aboard the HYPE train

Still adamant that this is Bloodborne 2.

No Tenchu game has featured weapons made out out Beast bones and excess of blood lol.

Bloodborne is synonymous with Trick weapons that are made out of beast arms, bones and teeths and blood. Especially in The Old Hunters Dlc.

I am fucking ready for Bloodborne 2. All aboard the HYPE train

Company owns Tenchu, uses Tenchu phrase as one of most prominent aspects of teaser video, shows what can creatively be construed as grappling hook with kunai attached, uses Japanese Folk styled music, shows parchment with Japanese writing in background.

I'm really not sure how many more details you'd need in this video to point towards this most likely being related to Tenchu in some capacity. I'm not saying it will be "TENCHU FUCKING 4" or something, but neither will it be "BLOODBORNE TWO". I mean From literally said there are not even any plans for a sequel and that they're done with that right now.

Unless Bloodborne 2 does a 180 for some baffling reason and goes full Japan despite being a game that was basically 100% European Gothic worship, I just don't see it. By all means get hyped as fuck for Bloodborne 2, I just don't think this is it man.

Toni

Company owns Tenchu, uses Tenchu phrase as one of most prominent aspects of teaser video, shows what can creatively be construed as grappling hook with kunai attached, uses Japanese Folk styled music, shows parchment with Japanese writing in background.

I'm really not sure how many more details you'd need in this video to point towards this most likely being related to Tenchu in some capacity. I'm not saying it will be "TENCHU FUCKING 4" or something, but neither will it be "BLOODBORNE TWO". I mean From literally said there are not even any plans for a sequel and that they're done with that right now.

Unless Bloodborne 2 does a 180 for some baffling reason and goes full Japan despite being a game that was basically 100% European Gothic worship, I just don't see it. By all means get hyped as fuck for Bloodborne 2, I just don't think this is it man.

The last Tenchu game flopped pretty hard on Xbox 360. Tenchu as a household game isnt what it used to.

And Bloodborne is a brand new exclusive game that is a big deal because it did commercially well in just 1 platform, for a first installment. It sold 3 million copies to date on the first go. In this industry, Its suicide to start a huge multi-millions budget game in 1 platform.

Bloodborne Its a developers dream come true. And the envy of many devs who opted to do the same thing and failed. When you sell extremely well by limiting yourself to one platform plus are under contract, but turns out your project was hugely successful, all bets are off.

Miyazaki broke the mold and has a big exclusive game he can go back to that has an audience while also pursuing other multiplatform projects that are also expected to do well because it is open to sell well with extra audiences. IT would be nuts not to build up on where you left off that made you millions. Plain and simple.

Bloodborne 2 makes all more sense in the world than a Tenchu game, that as a brand, everybody has forgotten about. It would take more money to commercially push a Tenchu game than just releasing Bloodborne 2 for the wolves to eat it all up and rake in the millions. If this isnt Bloodborne 2, then either a spin-off or something that links it to Bloodborne will most likely be what comes out of it. Everybody and their mom wants another Bloodborne. Its very easy money being left on the table.

Toni

Miyazaki was spotted at the Awards

ENpJyRD.png

He's most likely at LA to unveil Bloodborne 2 on PSX baby.

Its happening.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I think Sony allowed Death Stranding to be shown at the Gamesawards because they were guaranteed bigger coverage (Kojima. Come on!) but only allowed From to 'tease' because they knew 'Playstation fans' would be more appreciative of the franchise. I really think this is Bloodborne 2 and the best place to show actually gameplay (Please make this so) would be at a Playstation event.

The last Tenchu game flopped pretty hard on Xbox 360. Tenchu as a household game isnt what it used to.

And Bloodborne is a brand new exclusive game that is a big deal because it did commercially well in just 1 platform, for a first installment. It sold 3 million copies to date on the first go. In this industry, Its suicide to start a huge multi-millions budget game in 1 platform.

Bloodborne Its a developers dream come true. And the envy of many devs who opted to do the same thing and failed. When you sell extremely well by limiting yourself to one platform plus are under contract, but turns out your project was hugely successful, all bets are off.

Miyazaki broke the mold and has a big exclusive game he can go back to that has an audience while also pursuing other multiplatform projects that are also expected to do well because it is open to sell well with extra audiences. IT would be nuts not to build up on where you left off that made you millions. Plain and simple.

Bloodborne 2 makes all more sense in the world than a Tenchu game, that as a brand, everybody has forgotten about. It would take more money to commercially push a Tenchu game than just releasing Bloodborne 2 for the wolves to eat it all up and rake in the millions. If this isnt Bloodborne 2, then either a spin-off or something that links it to Bloodborne will most likely be what comes out of it. Everybody and their mom wants another Bloodborne. Its very easy money being left on the table.

People have forgotten Tenchu? I would argue the opposite. There have been endless calls on this very forum for the return of the series. Tenchu 1-3 are widely regarded as classic PlayStation games that people have sunk thousands of hours into. The series certainly needs a massive overhaul but there is a deep fondness for the series, particularly the first Tenchu which was released months before MGS1 and became the de facto stealth game on the platform.

Pantz

Would there be any chance that FromSoftware would work on a new Shadow Warrior game? Probably a dumb question...

- Shadow Warrior does have Shadow in the name.

- Some of the weapons in Shadow Warrior are made with bones.

- It's Ninja themed, and has more fitting blood and gore.

- There's a Shadow Warrior book with the tag line: "You Only Die Twice".
I5n2hFu.jpg

Yeah a long-shot I know, but it fits better than Tenchu or Bloodborne.
(Don't take this seriously)

SaberEdge

Just talked about this with someone else, my speculation-money is on Tenchu. A reboot/sequel/whatever.

1. "Shadows Die Twice." is a direct quote from Tenchu 3 apparently.
2. Musical cue is Japanese Folk inspired
3. Background parchment has Japanese writing
4. The rope within that device within this context can allude to the grappling hook that's a staple mechanic of the series.

None of these obviously occur in a Souls/Bloodborne setting and From has already stated that there are no plans for either series as of a year to 6 months ago. This is certainly not Bloodborne 2, no reason to believe that I think.

From Soft is at top creative force right now and I firmly believe if this is indeed Tenchu, they'll knock it out of the park and finally make that series' premise shine.

I agree with everything you said here. I was saying a lot of the same things earlier on and I can't believe some people think it is Bloodborne 2. All evidence points to it being a new Tenchu game or possibly a new IP with a similar feudal Japan setting.

Personally, as much as I love the SoulsBorne games I'm ready for a return of Tenchu. We haven't had one for many years and it has so much potential. I think From Software is the perfect one to pull it off too. I want to see a hardcore, challenging and deep stealth action Tenchu game. It would be amazing.

Dargor

Let what slide? A game with the name Souls in it with similar playstyle? None of the same characters, different plot, all new assets. The engine is free use. Legally Sony wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Financially, Sony is smart enough not to try and squash a close partners chance at profit. This is FROM/Miyazaki's vision.

I disagree completely with your assessment of the situation. It was an easy case to bring to court, the similarities were more than just looks and playstyle, the entire premise was the same. Buts its like I said, we don't know what this game right now is, so this conversation is only in the realm of ifs, it ain't going nowhere, lets just agree to disagree.

g11

Man this thread is hilarious. For my money, if it's Bloodborne 2, awesome. If it's a new Tenchu, awesome. If it's new IP, awesome.

Sweetloaf

There's blood in the video along with the word twice.

No further analysis needed, Bloodborne 2 is my guess!

Just hoping it's an open world with towers and loot crates.

g11

Yup i feel exactly the same (including if it's another one of their old IPs).

Yeah, I would be as well but to be totally honest, I'm not super well versed on FromSoft pre-Demon's Souls. I know of a number of their previous titles (King's Field, Armored Core & Otogi), but I don't remember playing any except a demo of Ninja Blade which at the time I wrote off as just a Ninja Gaiden ripoff. I was a huge fan of the original two Tenchu games, but checked out on the series well before FromSoft's Tenchu game.

Top Bottom