• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2009 Awards

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Uncharted 2, no surprise there. Deserving, though. Same as Batman @ 2, but...

DEMON'S FUCKIN SOULS....NUMBER 3? GAF, YOU ARE AWESOME.

Great list overall, I'm a little surprised by how high Dragon Age is, but I bet PC gamers really enjoyed it. Yay @ Killzone as top FPS over MW2, too bad that L4D2 is so low. KZ2 seems to be a very divisive game but this proves that a lot of people enjoyed it, it was my no. 2 behind the lovely Demon's Souls.

AniHawk said:
timetokill: Trine ranked higher than Splosion Man, unless you're not counting Trine as a platformer.

Yeah, I just checked and I had Trine listed as "Action" instead. I definitely should've had it as platformer. I'll update that list.

JWong

Banned
Awesome list.

Uncharted 2 GotY as expected. Awesome.
Demon's Souls > Dragon Age for best RPG. Awesome.
Killzone 2 > MW2 for best FPS. Awesome

Awesome!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I just want to say that for next years voting someone should keep a list of all games released between Jan 01 2010 to whenever voting starts (or probably December 31st 2010). Just makes things easier than trying to remember all the games we played and then vote on that weird 10 point system. :lol

This list is really fantastic. GAF has amazing taste :D

It's always hard to choose your favorite game for the year, but looking through the list it's hard to find stuff that doesn't make sense. It always seems like lists like these tend to favor games that come out later in the year, but there seemed to be a lot of diversity in the release dates for the results, which is great.

TheSeks said:
I just want to say that for next years voting someone should keep a list of all games released between Jan 01 2010 to whenever voting starts (or probably December 31st 2010). Just makes things easier than trying to remember all the games we played and then vote on that weird 10 point system. :lol

I think that it's probably unrealistic to go through and list out every game that is released in a year.. there are a lot more released in a year than the 300 or so that make GAF's end of the year list, after all.

In the future I could see listing out all of the nominated games in the OP and updating it frequently over the course of the voting, but of course not listing the scores they have so as to avoid any impact that might have on the voting.

You know, it probably wouldn't be too hard to develop a site to automatically do some of the dirty work for you. There are plenty around GAF (including myself) who have experience with this sort of thing. :D

It's worth looking in to.

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
You know, it probably wouldn't be too hard to develop a site to automatically do some of the dirty work for you. There are plenty around GAF (including myself) who have experience with this sort of thing. :D

It's worth looking in to.

Yeah, seriously :lol

I know a little bit myself and I might try toying with it, but I think it might be a good idea :D I'll shoot you a PM.

While I would personally have them in a different order, a lot of my favorites were in the top 10. I really need to get NSMB Wii. I really like the "Additional Awards" as well.

I didn't vote because I couldn't sort the games a way I was happy with, but I like the idea of the system (being able to give more than one game the same points). Curious to see if it returns and/or goes under any changes in the future.

AniHawk

I wonder what will take it for 2010. If Zelda, Mario and Metroid all make it we might see a Wii centric top 10. Bayonetta netted some early love here from those who played it in 09. Then of course there are the next main entries in the God of War, Halo, and Gran Turismo series and stuff we don't even know about yet (HL2 Ep3 please oh dear god please)

Ashes

Banned
bayonetta is looking like it can go on my end of year list.... but it may become a devil may cry scenario where twelve months is a long long time.

MvmntInGrn said:
While I would personally have them in a different order, a lot of my favorites were in the top 10. I really need to get NSMB Wii. I really like the "Additional Awards" as well.

I didn't vote because I couldn't sort the games a way I was happy with, but I like the idea of the system (being able to give more than one game the same points). Curious to see if it returns and/or goes under any changes in the future.

Thank you very much! I'm glad you liked the added awards.

I was planning on doing a short postmortem for this year's voting and how the system ended up playing out, as well as some early ideas for modifications that could improve upon it.

AniHawk said:
I wonder what will take it for 2010. If Zelda, Mario and Metroid all make it we might see a Wii centric top 10. Bayonetta netted some early love here from those who played it in 09. Then of course there are the next main entries in the God of War, Halo, and Gran Turismo series.

Bayonetta should do very well, if this year's voting is any indicator. Sin and Punishment could end up doing really well too... had a solid "2" average in this year's voting, ( 2 3's, 5 2's and 2 1's)... which based on this year's results would make it a high-ranking title if it had more voters. With the US population voting I think it could crack the Top 20.

Of course, in the end we know the list will just end up being this:

1. Dudebro
2-300. Not Dudebro

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
AniHawk said:
I wonder what will take it for 2010. If Zelda, Mario and Metroid all make it we might see a Wii centric top 10. Bayonetta netted some early love here from those who played it in 09. Then of course there are the next main entries in the God of War, Halo, and Gran Turismo series.
Bayonetta is cursed by its January release will be forgotten by December. It will be lucky to crack the top 20, which is a shame because it is the best game I have played in a long time. Even the official thread is fairly small compared to other hyped games in recent history.

If Zelda Wii actually makes a 2010 release, then it will probably win GOTY due to everyone being on an euphoric high (and the inevitable hate will come in June 2011, lol) I think Galaxy 2 will suffer some backlash due to it probably playing similarly to the first game (which is not a bad thing!) Metroid Other M is a wild card because we have no fucking clue what the game is even supposed to be like.

AniHawk

Archie said:
Bayonetta is cursed by its January release will be forgotten by December. It will be lucky to crack the top 20, which is a shame because it is the best game I have played in a long time. Even the official thread is fairly small compared to other hyped games in recent history.

I think the biggest thing that hurts Bayonetta is lack of system exclusivity. RE4 is the only multiplatform game to win here.

AniHawk said:
I wonder what will take it for 2010. If Zelda, Mario and Metroid all make it we might see a Wii centric top 10. Bayonetta netted some early love here from those who played it in 09. Then of course there are the next main entries in the God of War, Halo, and Gran Turismo series and stuff we don't even know about yet (HL2 Ep3 please oh dear god please)

I can totally see 3 Wii exclusives and 3 PS3 exclusives in the top 10. That would make for an interesting thread :D .

Edit: Also 2 360 exclusives. Multiplats got no chance next year :lol

dpp

Neo Member
League of Legends an MMO?

I'd add the "Action RPG" category... maybe LoL would better fit there, as well as Demon's Souls and Torchlight for example.

AniHawk said:

Next year multiplats don't stand a chance, things stand to be a bit more even next year with better console exclusive representation from the Wii and 360, but maybe there's a few multiplatform diamonds in the roughs? I realize we have BioShock 2 and FFXIII, but I think in the former's case it may feel stale, and the latter's case will probably be too polarizing. I think it'll take a surprise like Batman to be a serious contender for more multiplats in the GOTY category.

I could see a predictable list filled with Mario, Zelda, God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5, The Last Guardian, Halo Reach, and Mass Effect 2. That's 7 GOTY contenders right there, assuming all release next year. Whereas 2009 had an obvious winner, 2010 could get a bit interesting.

But wishing for Mario, Zelda, and Metroid in the same year is like wishing for Gran Turismo to come out in less than 5 years.

Also, I didn't understand the complaints about the GOTY voting this year. It worked just fine. What people don't understand is that the popular niche games always manage to get representation. Sure, you may not be able to vote for every single one of your favorite games, and you may have to only pick a handful that you want to represent, but other people will vote for it. In other words, just because you're mad that you have to leave one of your favorite games out doesn't mean that it won't round out the year's top games by other posters.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Sin and Punishment: Successor to the Sky is too low. :(

Also, why is it not on the "Rail-Shooter of the Year" list? It's a rail-shooter, too! Hell, it has more points than House of the Dead: Overkill!

S&P2 WAS ROBBED

HUELEN10

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm not even really sure why I bother to vote. I'm like a fucking space alien compared to the consensus.
Did you see my votes? If anyone's the space alien, it's me, yet my vote made a difference!

THAT'S why ya vote!

Regulus Tera said:
Sin and Punishment: Successor to the Sky is too low. :(

Also, why is it not on the "Rail-Shooter of the Year" list? It's a rail-shooter, too! Hell, it has more points than House of the Dead: Overkill!

S&P2 WAS ROBBED
Well, the whole "Wii-exclusive rail-shooter currently only available in Japan, where it sold poorly" pretty much precludes it from being recognized.

I mean, there weren't any Eminem commercials, 50 million dollar ad campaigns, insane #1 NPD and Media Create sales for the next five months, or 40-post BruceLeeRoy threads. Game obviously sucks/is shovelware.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
EmCeeGramr said:
Well, the whole "Wii-exclusive rail-shooter currently only available in Japan, where it sold poorly" pretty much precludes it from being recognized.

I mean, there weren't any Eminem commercials, 50 million dollar ad campaigns, insane #1 NPD and Media Create sales for the next five months, or 40-post BruceLeeRoy threads. Game obviously sucks/is shovelware.

What I mean is that it was put on the Shooter category instead of the Rail Shooter category despite, you know, being on-rails.

It's a third person rail-shooter, but still.

Miburou

- Wow, I contributed half the points Suikoden Tierkreis got! And 9% of the points Silent Hill Shattered Memories got. Considering all the splooging that was going on in the official thread, I'm quite surprised.

- And it seems my 2 points for Ryu ga Gotoku 3 were in vain.

- Bayonetta will be on my list for this year for sure.

- And I don't know if the high ranking of exclusive titles is due to those titles getting more exposure or because people feel ranking a an exclusive higher is sort of a win for their favorite console. Would be interesting to see how RE5 would've fared had it been an exclusive (or at least time exclusive like RE4).

kenta

Has no PEINS
I have to say I was pretty skeptical of the voting process this time, but I like the unique stats and awards you were able to pull out with the data. Great job, thanks for all the hard work!

stupei

Shattered Memories getting 11 points means that at the most only 11 people on GAF have played it. That has to be what it means, because otherwise you would have voted for it. I have the utmost faith in you, GAF.

Now: go buy that game.

(I actually really do hope for the game to get a GiantBomb bump in sales. That would be awesome.)

NeoUltima

Rapping Granny said:
Forza not in top 10 is criminal, and ODST, BorderLands and RE5 beating Forza is just stupid.
Granted I have not played Forza 3 myself(no 360), but I'd be inclined to agree. At least going by reviews it deserves to be in the top 10. Racing sims just aren't that big on GAF, well unless your called Gran Turismo.

stupei said:
Shattered Memories getting 11 points means that at the most only 11 people on GAF have played it. That has to be what it means, because otherwise you would have voted for it. I have the utmost faith in you, GAF.

Now: go buy that game.

(I actually really do hope for the game to get a GiantBomb bump in sales. That would be awesome.)
I bought the game after hearing Brad's lovegasm about it... still haven't played it yet though.

Edit: The fact that Uncharted won the popularity and high quality award is pretty crazy.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This system actually worked out really well, thanks timetokill.

Numbers for "High Quality Award" are the most interesting to me.

Kritz

Banned
I'm sad to see Skate 2 and Call of Juarez not getting much praise around here. Sure they're no Uncharted or Dragon Age, but Skate 2 is at least on the level of Punch-out!! and Call of Juarez is quite a bit better than Brutal Legend.

But I suppose the rating system didn't really lend hand to the average-quality games of the year. Oh well. I still agree with the top 20, which is what matters.

MakMan

4 PS3 exclusives in top 10. Wow!

Nice list NeoGAF. Also good to see downloadable games like Flower, Shadow Complex and Trails HD up that high.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I didn't play a single game in the top 10. In fact, the only games in the top 21 I played were #11 Borderlands, #14 Resident Evil 5 and #16 Halo ODST.

o_O

Also, how the hell did Killzone 2 get FPS of the year?? I didn't see that coming

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm not even really sure why I bother to vote. I'm like a fucking space alien compared to the consensus.

this

I knew Uncharted 2 was going to win, well we all did. Well deserved.
Batman AA at 2nd is not bad at all.
Demon's Souls at #3 makes me :D

Chris R

Nice to see Shadow Complex place so high. Can't wait for some of the games in the top 20 to drop in price so I can play them :D UC2 is such a great SP experience.

Great list. Only three things really surprised me about it:

1. Infamous got so high. I didn't think it was that great, but it seems it's pretty popular.
  2. Call of Duty beat out Left4Dead 2. Though I suppose this is more disappointing than surprising. =(
  3. Mario & Luigi beat out all other DS games, despite competition being so stiff this year. Of course I'm a total Layton fanboy, so don't trust my opinion. :lol

The only things I could honestly say I'd change is moving Demon's Souls up to #1 and switching Left4Dead with Call of Duty.

Firestorm said:
This shouldn't have been sticked right off the bat! Almost missed it.

I only found it because I checked the old thread, and timetokill mentioned it would be up "soon" like 10 hours ago. I was like, "then where the hell is it??" which prompted me to check the stickies.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Wow, what an absoloutely fantastic list there. I'm really chuffed, a great selection of games and, surprisingly, I've played a massive amount of them. I'm surprised Killzone 2 took shooter of the year, so kudos to Killzone 2 and to GAF!

I'm also beyond delighted that SFIV made it in to the top 10. SF GAF have done a good job keeping the hype all year ^_^

Althoran

Great GOTY list. I definitely understand Uncharted 2 being GOTY. Was expecting it also.
Love Demons Souls being so high. Also great taste from GAF liking Flower that much.

I don't really see why Infamous is that high but I am still playing through the game so maybe I will understand once I finish it.

Top Bottom