• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2009 Awards

BeeDog

Cool list, mirrors my top games pretty damn well. Sad to see Forza 3 outside of the top 10 range; while I don't have a 360 (and haven't played it enough to put it on my personal top list), I have played a bit and read/heard enough about it to conclude it should've had a place in the top 10. Fucking great car game. :D

And as always, the usual suspects pop up with their more-or-less true/false conspiracy theories, sigh... Guess games are serious business yo.

Leondexter said:
I'm a tiny bit late (for some reason I'm blind to the sticky threads), but good job, timetokill!

Thanks :) Yeah, it seems a lot of people don't notice sticky threads right away (probably related to ad blindness and stuff), but people keep streaming in eventually.

Great list. Nice to see Uncharted 2 winning it all. I thought it was an excellent game but i wish it had more tomb raider-like exploration. It's got the Indiana Jones action gameplay going for it, just not the exploration part. btw, that scene in that Nepal (?) village with all those villagers is just mind-blowing. It's the most realistic scene i've ever seen in a game.

and glad to see Demon's Souls placed #3. It's my personal GOTY followed by Dragon Age, Uncharted 2, Batman: AA and Final Fantasy Dissidia.

3 things -

1) Great showing for Torchlight! My only real non-MMO PC purchase of the year comes through!

2) It really turned out to be the year of the PS3.

3) Batman: AA/Demon's Souls killing it!

Great year overall! :D

Filldough

Don't know how I missed this thread but looking thru it made me realize what a great year 2009 was for gaming. Truly epic. I'd be sad that its over but 2010 is already showing massive promise. Great list, great time to be a gamer.

EliCash

Good to see the Arkham Asylum love.

166ne6v.jpg

2h4vno5.jpg

sl0lmc.jpg

Really good list. Uncharted 2 definitely deserved first place, didn't expect Demon's Souls to do so well (but glad it did), good to see KZ2 ahead of MW2, much deserved.

How I did I missed this thread? I guess I should actually look at the sticky threads from time to time :lol

But anyway great list, UC2 as GOTY was expected

The Ward

Neo Member
I haven´t played every game in the list but it looks very solid. Now I just have to add a few of them to my backlog...

Llyranor

I completely forgot about the deadline, but here's my list for posterity:

1) Men of War
2) Halo ODST
3) Virtual On Oratorio Tangram
4) Dawn of War 2
5) Real Demon's Souls
6) Mushihimesama Futari
7) L4D2
8) Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
9) Raiden Fighters Aces
10) Resident Evil 5

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I can't believe I forgot to vote in this. >_< Oh well, doubt it'd made a difference...

Rail Shooter Game of the Year: House of the Dead: Overkill
hotdok.jpg

Woot! The king reigns supreme!

I was scrolling down and I didn't even know this was a category, imagine my shock when I see one of my favorite '09 game's boxart right there. :lol

Owensboro

Awesome job timetokill!

Story of these awards? Demon's Souls and Killzone 2! Uncharted 2 and Batman: AA were expected, but holy cow congrats to Demon's Souls. That game was probably the most fun and stress I had all year playing a game. I'm so happy other people actually liked it too.

As for Killzone 2, wowzers. My initial reaction to seeing it so high was "really.... really?", but the I actually started to think about it. Yeah, it was pretty much the best FPS game I played this year. At least, it was the FPS that was different enough to make me like it more.

Congrats to all the winners! Super Congrats to Demon's Souls. I need to start another character in that game, or actually beat New Game +.

Scotch

Nice work, timetokill, it's a great top 10.

If I may just suggest something for next year (in case you're doing it again), please let us vote for more games. Something like "20 points total with a max of 5 points for the #1" would be a huge improvement. One reason being that I think most people like voting for their personal top 10, something that was impossible this year unless you gave every game 1 point.

The second, more important reason is that this way, there will be more votes for the lower ranked games in the end. For instance, it's nice and all that the League of Legends guys want to use the award in their marketing, but it won its genre award with a total of nine points. When you're talking numbers that low, the genre awards become completely pointless.

Scotch said:
Nice work, timetokill, it's a great top 10.

If I may just suggest something for next year (in case you're doing it again), please let us vote for more games. Something like "20 points total with a max of 5 points for the #1" would be a huge improvement. One reason being that I think most people like voting for their personal top 10, something that was impossible this year unless you gave every game 1 point.

The second, more important reason is that this way, there will be more votes for the lower ranked games in the end. For instance, it's nice and all that the League of Legends guys want to use the award in their marketing, but it won its genre award with a total of nine points. When you're talking numbers that low, the genre awards become completely pointless.

Yeah, noted. It was probably the main complaint... I've been thinking of some methods for having more games but retaining the benefits of the tiered/point system that a lot of people ended up really liking. But I think a point to note is that when you see games get points in this method, it means the person really liked it -- it didn't really receive "filler" points as people tried to pad out their list. I think that's significant. Of course many people play different amounts of games so for those who play a ton, the relative scarcity of points could be a problem. I'm testing out a few methods of increasing points, but I probably won't raise the cap of the top game to 5. Something I think works really well in this system is that at most it only takes 3 people to mention a game for it to equal another person's vote. With a 5 point system (like I mistakenly used at the start) it causes more people to need to mention a game for it to be equaled. As for now I'm tinkering with a 20 point/4 max (for one game) system that seems to be working pretty well. It promotes a Top 10 but with distinct tiers: (4 - 3, 3 - 2, 2, 2 - 1, 1, 1, 1).

Thank you for the comments, by the way. Really appreciate it.

Ataturk

Just to get it off my chest, personal top 5:

1: Uncharted 2
2: Assassin's Creed 2
3: Batman AA
4: GTA : Lost and Damned
5: Killzone 2

AniHawk said:
Boy, timetokill's gonna be shocked when I Jay Leno this sucker this year!

Don't nobody tell him though.

But my Awards didn't have a chance to build an audience, like my predecessor's did! I appeal to the lucrative young males market! The Dudebro thread turned out to be a horirble lead-in sticky!

I love the use of "Leno" as a verb

Ploid 3.0

Wow this list, these lists are awesome. I don't usually pay attention to this type of stuff so I'm just now noticing it due to boredom of the first page. All of the stats, and how well together it was made is fantastic. I have a lot of the top games, I just don't have Batman, and those were pretty much the only games I bought. Thank goodness for extensive researching before I buy a game (thank you for burning me GTA4).

I didn't know Saints Row 2 was released this year. I still love that game, it only got 2 votes though. It would be pretty high on my list, maybe right above dragon age.

Top Bottom