• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2009 Awards

Fixed1979 said:
The sports games surprised the hell out of me as well, mostly because it didn't include NHL 10...That's what I get for forgetting to vote I suppose!
Yea, the genre awards are usually a joke, but this year there isn't even a punchline. TTK should break out the asterisks and denote what fraction of a fraction of total votes even voted for a particular genre.

And then remove all the votes that aren't for Fifa 10.

Hugbot

No huge surprises for me, save KZ2 being as high as it is. For all the flak it catches, I really enjoyed that game.

Thanks for running this, it was no small feat I'm sure, and these numbers are really interesting.

KZObsessed

Firestorm said:
I realize FFObsessed loves it and is probably his #1 though :lol

:D

<3 <3

I do still think the SP and MP can be improved quite a bit, and I expect KZ3 to be an improvement on KZ2. If it isn't and it's just more of the same, I'll still enjoy it I'm sure, but I wouldn't be able to help being disappointed in it overall.

Cheech said:
Preach, brother. Bad Company 2 is going to signal my disposal of all other FPS games.
Oh hell yes. Also agreed on BC being the best shooter this gen so far.

I tried to give Killzone2 another shot last night. Set the Warzone search to "My Region", "Any" gametype, and "Ranked" and got a whopping total of 6 servers listed. Two of the servers were 200 kill limit BodyCount-only servers, and the other 4 only had 2-4 players total. So I deselected "Only games that are My Rank" and the search returned a ton more servers, but was barred from joining any of them because I was too low rank.

Killzone 2, why won't you let me love you?

NullPointer said:

I tried to give Killzone2 another shot last night. Set the Warzone search to "My Region", "Any" gametype, and "Ranked" and got a whopping total of 6 servers listed. Two of the servers were 200 kill limit BodyCount-only servers, and the other 4 only had 2-4 players total. So I deselected "Only games that are My Rank" and the search returned a ton more servers, but was barred from joining any of them because I was too low rank.

I played pistols only matches almost exclusively in that game. The only way to prevent it from being a frag fest. It allowed the class abilities to shine though imo and I really enjoyed MP on those terms.

NullPointer said:

Set your region to worldwide. I find TONS of full servers this way.

J-Rzez

Quality list for sure. Of course there's a couple I think should be higher, some lower, but hey that's the diversity you get on GAF. By far the best GOTY list I've seen this year anywhere.

+Aliken+

timetokill said:
FPS Game of the Year: Killzone 2
kz2.jpg

2. Call of Duty: Modern warfare 2
3. Borderlands
4. Left 4 Dead 2
5. Halo 3: ODST

Killzone 2 first and Modern Warfare 2 second is just wrong.
The voting should be rigged to fix this.

NIGHT-

Rapping Granny said:
Lol no masterchef, it's not the catergory for best expansion pack.

:lol @ getting my Avatar mixed up with Halo. Its the Doom character from Quake III..

+Aliken+ said:
Killzone 2 first and Modern Warfare 2 second is just wrong.
The voting should be rigged to fix this.

yep. And l42 should be ahead of both of them :D

A.R.K

Best awards list!

Uncharted 2 Hell ya!!!
Demon's Soul Hell ya!!!
Killzone 2 Hell ya!!!

at least GAF did this one right :D

Tain

Shooter Game of the Year: PixelJunk Shooter

2. Mushihime-sama Futari
3. Sin and Punishment 2: Successor to the Sky
4. Raiden IV
5. Raiden Fighters Aces

what the buttershit is this garbage

this is the worst

Facism

Tain said:
what the buttershit is this garbage

this is the worst

Are you going to enjoy your games less now that the anonymous masses voted for something you don't agree with? :< :<

Einbroch

Banned
Surprised at how high Infamous landed. Not disappointed, it was my GOTY, but others apparently didn't forget about it either.

Great job, timetokill.

Tain

Are you going to enjoy your games less now that the anonymous masses voted for something you don't agree with? :< :<

oh absolutely

really though this is a weird question

u mad

but yeah I only played MF and RFA from that list so i guess I can't really tell if it's fair or not

ragin' hardcore on these lists

I mean, slot two and down are all pretty good! S&P2's a little high, but whatever.

but pixeljunk shooter is like the littlebigplanet of shooters

ZZMitch said:
Why is half this thread laughing about MW2? It deserves to be in the top 10, and it should be higher IMO... extremely well made game.
There are so many reasons. It's hard to pick just one. :lol

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
GAF GOTY list rules them all. I pretty much agree with every single genre.

Thanks for all the hard work timetokill

I completely forgot this was going on. Kept missing the thread since it was a sticky. Great to see LKS get a genre award. I'm glad it's getting some recognition.

Sullichin

Didn't play all the games in the top 20 but I can disagree with Borderlands being on there. I was pretty disappointed with that game, wish I never bought it. I voted for Batman as my #1 (UC2 #2) but I think UC2 is deserving of the GOTY award. AA just got my top spot because it's fucking Batman (and it's a great game).

Very solid top 20! Just about where I would put everything.

There are just a few in the top 20 I haven't played yet. But I am sure I will play them all by the end of this year.

Also I agree with GAFs choice of KZ2 as FPS of the year over all else. Even though I did really enjoy MW2 as well.

Miburou

Not that this changes anything, but since Shattered Memories only got 11 points, I went back to the voting thread to see who voted for the game, and counted 14 points, rather than the 11 listed here.

Code:
pakkit				-3

I Push Fat Kids			-2
John Harker			-2

brandonh83			-1
Miburou				-1
revolverjgw			-1
Hellsing321			-1
Neiteio				-1
Mega Man's Electric Sheep	-1
stupei				-1

Miburou said:
Not that this changes anything, but since Shattered Memories only got 11 points, I went back to the voting thread to see who voted for the game, and counted 14 points, rather than the 11 listed here.

pakkit's vote didn't count because he listed two games with 3 points each (Flower and Silent Hill).

SmokyDave

Excellent list, shame about the topic. Wah wah my game didn't win.

Well mine did! GT: PSP, handheld racing king!

Tain said:
ragin' hardcore on these lists

I mean, slot two and down are all pretty good! S&P2's a little high, but whatever.

but pixeljunk shooter is like the littlebigplanet of shooters
In as much as you've never played it?

Miburou

timetokill said:
pakkit's vote didn't count because he listed two games with 3 points each (Flower and Silent Hill).

Thanks for the clarification. And thanks for the great job with this thread; I think the 3 point system is a really good idea. :)

Oh, and damn you pakkit! ;)

Miburou said:
Thanks for the clarification. And thanks for the great job with this thread; I think the 3 point system is a really good idea. :)

Oh, and damn you pakkit! ;)

Thank you very much :D

Yeah, I was hoping Silent Hill would've gotten some more points as well :) If I was voting I would have put some points towards it.

crispyben

timetokill said:
Thank you very much :D

Yeah, I was hoping Silent Hill would've gotten some more points as well :) If I was voting I would have put some points towards it.
I may have missed it, but do we know how many GAFers voted? How many of these made valid ballots?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Very happy for Demon's Souls! Such an awesome experience.

Good taste this year I'd say.

edit: and hell yea I voted for Silent Hill!

Amir0x

Banned
I for one am happy Silent Hill got no love. Terrible game, easily the worst Silent Hill in the franchises history. Worse than The Room, worse than Origins, worse than Homecoming.

timetokill - Do you happen to have raw voting (listing individual voting results per user name) results up on some type of Google docs spreadsheet or anything? I'm not trying to make you do extra work, but if you happen to have it in some type of raw form already (text or spreadsheet) I'd love to poke at it with a pivot or two of my own without having to go back and scrape / count over the thread.

Amir0x said:
I for one am happy Silent Hill got no love. Terrible game, easily the worst Silent Hill in the franchises history. Worse than The Room, worse than Origins, worse than Homecoming.

i'm sure the people at climax who worked hard to make a great game that was loved by many other people
with good taste
are crying themselves to sleep over this declaration

Amir0x

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
i'm sure the people at climax who worked hard to make a great game that was loved by many other people with good taste are crying themselves to sleep over this declaration

well excepting the fact that "greatness" here is defined by clumsy game design, awful chase sequences, and shallow, surface-level psychological profiling and coupled with the extreme boredom of the barren ice world and the fact that basically nobody voted for them and they didn't win anything and it probably didn't sell amazing either, I'll take it to mean we probably won't get another terrible Silent Hill like it and count my blessings.

Maybe it'll encourage them not to bastardize the Silent Hill name in one of their feeble attempts at experimentation. Silent Hill has been abused enough these past years.

Top Bottom