• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2009 Awards

pizzaguysrevenge said:
Punch-Out as the the best sports game of 2009. :lol
Yeah, I don't think the Sports genre gets much respect. Madden is Madden. The only big annual sports game on there was FIFA. Kinda surprised that NHL didn't make the cut
although I still like NHL 2Kn more

Cheech

:enemyglider: said:
That's cool, personally I found Killzone 2 to destroy all other shooter games for me this generation.

Halo was a gigantic letdown and more of the same ol' same ol' with graphics that were pretty last gen, while Gears of War had an awful online component. Modern Warfare is a casual, accessible shooter but gets boring after you realize how one dimensional the encounters are. It's basically a lame shooter, mechanically, with an RPG leveling system. I don't play games just because it has a lot to unlock, the game has to convince me that it's worth playing and MW2's core gameplay just isn't very fun. Haven't tried borderlands, but L4D suffers from the same problems MW2 does; the core gameplay isn't very fun because the weapons don't feel good to shoot.

Killzone 2 was expertly produced in terms of visual feedback - the guns are not matched by any other game and it's not even close. Single player games for all FPS games this gen have been a let down, but KZ2 manages to impress despite its narrative shortcomings. Level design is fantastic and the AI is unmatched. Graphically, it doesn't even need mentioning but what they've accomplished is pretty remarkable. Again, nothing comes close on that end.

There were also some interesting additions to the series such as first person cover and roaming objectives in multiplayer. In terms of comparisons, as you said, KZ2 is far better than Resistance 1/2 which I found to be absolutely awful. I've had a lot more fun with KZ2 than any exclusive 360 FPS so far. I guess Microsoft doesn't have its KZ2 yet this gen. Maybe Halo Reach will be that game for me, but I don't like what I've seen of it so far.

Thanks for the first sane post rebutting the Killzone 2 hate.

I have never been the biggest Halo fan. I played some Halo 3; the 4 player campaign was quite a lot of fun, and multiplayer with some friends. ODST was a total pile of shit. The graphics in that engine did not age well, and it was an obvious rush job by Bungie and cash grab by Microsoft. I don't think I was more disgusted with any game I bought all year.

That said, Halo 3 is the high water mark for FPS gaming this generation. Not really my personal opinion, but no FPS is going to touch it as far as copies sold or games played.

Gears of War, on the other hand, is a great series. I do play it mostly against and with people I know, however, so the cheating/glitching is not an issue. It's a hell of a lot more fun than KZ2, which I hated for reasons mentioned previously, and Resistance 2, which was terrible for a multitude of reasons.

You mention KZ2's cover system being a plus, personally, I found it broken. It was similar to Uncharted 1 where it was hit or miss whether you'd take cover when you wanted, where you wanted, and still be able to see the action and most importantly, BREAK out of cover when you wanted.

KZ2 had/has (I haven't played it since a couple months after release, they may have patched the nastier stuff) way too many problems to be considered an elite shooter, IMO. Gears of War 1/2, the CoD games, L4D 1/2, and Halo 3 all sit at the very top. Everything else just didn't quite measure up.

Firestorm

:enemyglider: said:
Killzone 2 was expertly produced in terms of visual feedback - the guns are not matched by any other game and it's not even close. Single player games for all FPS games this gen have been a let down, but KZ2 manages to impress despite its narrative shortcomings. Level design is fantastic and the AI is unmatched. Graphically, it doesn't even need mentioning but what they've accomplished is pretty remarkable. Again, nothing comes close on that end.

There were also some interesting additions to the series such as first person cover and roaming objectives in multiplayer. In terms of comparisons, as you said, KZ2 is far better than Resistance 1/2 which I found to be absolutely awful. I've had a lot more fun with KZ2 than any exclusive 360 FPS so far. I guess Microsoft doesn't have its KZ2 yet this gen. Maybe Halo Reach will be that game for me, but I don't like what I've seen of it so far.
Ok. I'll give you AI and obviously graphics. Also sound design which you didn't mention but was ace. However, level design? What did you find well-designed about the levels? As I posted in the official thread after finishing the game, I found the game to be terribly designed and imo is not top 10 material. It desperately needed a Co-op mode to detract from many of its issues in single-player. I hold to what was mentioned earlier that most Killzone 2 votes were probably on people's lists with all PS3 exclusive titles because that's how much of GAF does it.

When I think about it, last year was weak for shooters overall so I can see people putting Killzone 2 above other shooters, but it should never have made most people's lists in the first place! I realize FFObsessed loves it and is probably his #1 though :lol

Edit: Yes, I agree that cover was broken in Killzone 2. I found myself doing a manual cover system like any FPS instead.

speculawyer said:
Yeah, I don't think the Sports genre gets much respect. Madden is Madden. The only big annual sports game on there was FIFA. Kinda surprised that NHL didn't make the cut
although I still like NHL 2Kn more
Yeah, wtf happened to NHL this year?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
timetokill said:
Trials HD actually had some pretty passionate support... I hadn't even heard of the game before tabulating the votes this year :lol I'm definitely going to try it now.
You should. It is incredibly addictive, especially when you are trying to shave hundredths of seconds off to get gold and plat medals.

AniHawk

Top 20s by year:

2004:
Gamecube: 5
GBA: 1
PS2: 6
Xbox: 2
PC: 3
Multiplatform: 3

2005:
Gamecube: 1
GBA: 1
DS: 5
PSP: 2
PS2: 7
PC: 1
Multiplatform: 3

2006 (there are 21 games because there was a tie for 20th place):
Wii: 1
DS: 4
PS2: 6
360: 3
PC: 2
Multiplatform: 5

Up until this point, MGS3 was in the top 20 for three years in a row, thanks to Snake Eater in 2004, the European release in 2005, and Subsistence in 2006.

2007:
Wii: 3
DS: 2
PS2: 2
PS3: 3
360: 4
Multiplatform: 6

2008:
Wii: 2
DS: 1
PS2: 1
PS3: 5
360: 2
Multiplatform: 9

This is the last year the PS2 appears in the top 20, and it only happened with the super late release of Persona 4 in December. The PSP has not appeared in two years at this point. Multiplatform titles have steadily gone up in number since 2004 and now take up almost half of the top 20.

2009 (there was a tie for 20th place again):
Wii: 1
DS: 1
PS3: 6
360: 4
PC: 1
Multiplatform: 8

First time since 2006 a PC exclusive shows up in the top 20. The 360 ties with 2007 with the highest amount of exclusives to appear on the top 20. The Wii has its worst year since it launched.

I like Gears of War as well, but mostly as a co-op experience. I can't really stand the multiplayer in the game, to me KZ2 is a bit more well rounded in that regard as I really, really loved the online play of KZ2 as well as the single player.

There wasn't much of an excuse for KZ2 not having online co-op though. That's probably my biggest gripe about the game, outside of its lackluster story and cast of characters. I loved everything gameplay related and didn't find the first person cover to be broken at all, it came naturally to me and was pretty much a requirement on harder difficulties. Took me all of a few minutes to adjust and it always worked as intended.

As for its 'elite status', it's certainly proved it to myself and to the media which gave it universal praise. Gears of War has more serious problems than any other shooter this gen in terms of the competitive online play, and Modern Warfare 2 has TONS of issues (and not just in its multiplayer, but the single player is atrocious).

KZ2 isn't without its issues, but I'll be damned if I didn't sink hundreds of hours into the game's multiplayer and loved every second of it playing in squads with my friends. I just had way more fun with the online than any shooter I've played this year outside of Uncharted 2's MP, which took me by surprise with how good it is. Best third person shooter MP by far and shows Gears how it's done in that regard.

That said, Halo 3 is the high water mark for FPS gaming this generation. Not really my personal opinion, but no FPS is going to touch it as far as copies sold or games played.

In terms of popularity, Call of Duty has already stolen Halo's thunder. It outsold Halo 3's first month on one platform alone (Xbox 360). Take into account PS3 sales and it doubled Halo 3's first month sales. That's pretty insane.

But I don't judge quality on sales or popularity. Many people really enjoy Forza 3 and consider it to be a racing benchmark but it did poorly at retail.

Firestorm said:
Ok. I'll give you AI and obviously graphics. Also sound design which you didn't mention but was ace. However, level design? What did you find well-designed about the levels? As I posted in the official thread after finishing the game, I found the game to be terribly designed and imo is not top 10 material. It desperately needed a Co-op mode to detract from many of its issues in single-player. I hold to what was mentioned earlier that most Killzone 2 votes were probably on people's lists with all PS3 exclusive titles because that's how much of GAF does it.

The level designs offered a lot of freedom in the way that you could approach the battles with lots of different places to take cover and they gave you a wide range of weapons at your disposal at nearly every encounter, so you never felt like the game ever FORCED a weapon on you (except in one instance), which is unlike Resistance 2 where the game basically TELLS you to use a certain weapon for a certain situation. In the end, the level design was quite good even if it was still largely linear.

It must be mentioned that the multiplayer map designs in KZ2 are phenomenal...best maps I've ever played in an online shooter. Salamun Market, Radec Academy, Blood Gracht...lots of great memories from those maps.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Danthrax said:
Okay... yes, every game can be criticized. That still doesn't explain why KZ2 won. Did the people who played it not actually feel meh about it? I mean, apparently not, considering it won. It just surprised me based on how I remember people reacting last year.
It won because this year was weak all round(FPS being one of the weakest areas with allot of meh). It was a decent size fish in a shallow pond. There is no shock about it. The year was weak. Red Faction III missing from the list is the shock. Specifically when Halo ODST is on it.

Killzone 2 was a solid game all round. Fun campaign with a well thought out online that ran well. Only two comparable titles would be RF:G or L4D2.

EmCeeGramr said:
Yeah, the current system of voting for games (and this is all websites, not just NeoGAF) right before the end of the year not only screws over December releases, but ignores the good chance that tons of people will be buying games for the holiday season and not finishing them until after New Year's.

Given a bit more time. I'd probably would have changed my list a whole lot.

So, in light of the running conversation about the 'Sony' contingent on GAF as compared to others, here's what I found through a run-through of the voting once again, this time counting "exclusive" posts. Keep in mind I did it pretty quickly (a couple hours) so I might have missed a couple or something, but I should think it's fairly accurate.

Obviously there are some things to consider re: multiplatform titles, so I didn't count those when considering a ballot as exclusive. For instance, an appearance of Assassin's Creed 2 or Batman: Arkham Asylum automatically made the ballot a "multiplatform" ballot.

"Exclusive" results:
~ 5% of the ballots are Sony-exclusive
~ 2% of the ballots are Nintendo-exclusive

While doing this I also decided to go through and do a "+1" count, where I counted ballots that were exclusive to one company's platforms or another, but included one vote for a multiplatform title or another platform's title, then I counted it. For example, a ballot was Sony-exclusive but had a vote for Assassin's Creed 2 on there, or a ballot was Nintendo-exclusive but had a vote for Uncharted 2 or something, I counted it as a "Exclusive +1" ballot.

"Exclusive +1" results:
~ 9% of the ballots are Sony+1
~ 3% of the ballots are Nintendo+1

Combined "Exclusive" and "Exclusive+1":
~ 14% of the ballots are Sony/Sony+1 exclusive
~ 5% of the ballots are Nintendo/Nintendo+1 exclusive

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I don't get why people hate ODST so much. I think it's the best Halo — the other Halo games piss me off for various reasons. ODST's level design, not-so-gung-ho gameplay and better focus on narrative were great. Firefight is a lot of fun. The music is always good.

I think people just got it in their heads that ODST was a quick cash-in and wouldn't let themselves enjoy it. Or they liked being a superbadass with Master Chief and didn't enjoy a relative sense of mortality with the ODSTs.

[edit]
timetokill said:

Fascinating. No Microsoft-exclusive or PC-exclusive ballots, I take it?

ZZMitch

timetokill said:

Wow, seems like a lot to me... even though Sony had the best exclusives this year.

Of the games in the top 20, you can get (or soon will be able to get) the following games on Steam:

batman.jpg

02. Batman: Arkham Asylum

dao.jpg

04. Dragon Age: Origins

ac2.jpg

05. Assassin's Creed 2 (Not available yet)

sf4-1.jpg

08. Street Fighter IV

mw2.jpg

10. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

borderlands.jpg

11. Borderlands

l4d2.jpg

13. Left 4 Dead 2

re5.jpg

14. Resident Evil 5

torchlight.jpg

15. Torchlight

You can't get Trials HD but you can get Trials 2: Second edition.

Firestorm

Danthrax said:
Fascinating. No Microsoft-exclusive or PC-exclusive ballots, I take it?
I spread the love!

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
Batman Arkham Asylum (PS3 / 360 / PC)
Left 4 Dead 2 (360 / PC)
(bolded platform i played it on)

Every platform gets 2 votes! Except Wii, DS, and PSP :( But next year has Miles Edgeworth, Pokemon HeartGold, MGS Peace Walker, and Metroid Other M so we'll see ^_^ And if Golden Sun DS comes out <3 <3 <3

Then again, they could all turn out to be shit and make me a sad panda.

shintoki said:
It won because this year was weak all round(FPS being one of the weakest areas with allot of meh). It was a decent size fish in a shallow pond. There is no shock about it. The year was weak. Red Faction III missing from the list is the shock. Specifically when Halo ODST is on it.

Killzone 2 was a solid game all round. Fun campaign with a well thought out online that ran well. Only two comparable titles would be RF:G or L4D2.

Given a bit more time. I'd probably would have changed my list a whole lot.
As you and many others stated, it's a little early in 2010 and some of us haven't got to all the games yet. I picked up Red Faction Guerilla at $10 during the Steam sale at the end of the month. haven't played yet.

Alts

AniHawk said:
3 of the top 20 last year (Braid, Wipeout HD, and World of Goo) were digital distribution only too. Braid actually made it to the top 10 last year.

world of goo got a retail release, though I suspect it was small.

Alts said:
Well if that counts as a digital distribution game then so should Torchlight. I suspect they sold more copies on Steam than anywhere else.

Firestorm

I actually saw a boxed Killing Floor at a store about a week ago. Was kinda weird seeing that as I associate it so strongly with Steam.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Firestorm said:
I actually saw a boxed Killing Floor at a store about a week ago. Was kinda weird seeing that as I associate it so strongly with Steam.
Torchlight
Trine
Sins of a Solar Empire
Killing Floor

and many others do have 20$ Retail boxes

RobertM

You made me shed a tear Gaf. Thank you for not allowing MW2 get anywhere close to the top 5 or even shooter of the year. God I hate that game.

Firestorm

shintoki said:
Torchlight
Trine
Sins of a Solar Empire
Killing Floor

and many others do have 20$ Retail boxes
UK seems to have Audiosurf retail box. I kind of want it just for shits and giggles.

Kritz

Banned
While I can't deny Killzone was a fantastic ass shooter, god I wish I could play it with a mouse. I can't use dualshocks for shit, especially with the crazy momentum your character picks up when turning.

But I guess some people are more used to controllers than others.

I don't see what's wrong with Killzone 2 winning FPS of the year. It deserves it in my book. I played that thing non-stop for months after it came out. The dynamic rounds, class system, and clan system kept me hooked, and I really like the heavy feel of the controls.

Left4Dead 2 is the only shooter I feel comes close this year, because the coop is sooo damn fun. I've put over 20 hours into it since I got it, which is a lot for a time constrained guy like me. Honestly, I'd say these two are my favorites FPSes this gen - L4D2 for the coop and Killzone for the singleplayer and competitive multiplayer. Plus I love all the custom campaigns you can find for L4D on Steam. :D

Granted I haven't played Borderlands yet, but I've heard that's more RPG than FPS...?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
timetokill said:
Yep, that sounds about right. :lol

Of course that doesn't mean there are more Sony fanboys than anything else. Its just that when a fanbase feels, uh, "discouraged" and also have a number of titles they can rally behind, they will. If the Wii had a stronger lineup this year it would probably be giving the PS3 a run for its money in those percentiles (like they typically have in previous years). And of course, Xbox and PC numbers are low because their fanboys are relatively content with their systems' standings, hence no need for the fanboys to go into super hyper mode.

Oh predictable internet ;)
Alts said:
Lets be honest here, World of Goo made it onto last year's list because of the Wiiware release more than anything.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
grandjedi6 said:

Of course that doesn't mean there are more Sony fanboys than anything else. Its just that when a fanbase feels, uh, "discouraged" and also have a number of titles they can rally behind, they will. If the Wii had a stronger lineup this year it would probably be giving the PS3 a run for its money in those percentiles (like they typically have in previous years). And of course, Xbox and PC numbers are low because their fanboys are relatively content with their systems' standings, hence no need for the fanboys to go into super hyper mode.

The Wii and PS3 fanbases respond a bit differently. Wii is heavily focused on the big 3 Nintendo franchises. Metroid, Zelda, Mario. Ones involving those always get shown strong support. We'll definitely be seeing Galaxy up there, and if Other M delivers. So will it be. While with Sony, Whatever are the big exclusives for the year. The fanbase will rally behind.
360's base is a bit more diverse. They blend more into the Multiplatform titles(Ones shared with PC and PS3). Which is where I guess the bulk of the votes for the ones in the top come from.
With PC. They are always behind. Outside of the 3 or 4 titles a year. Most people discover the goods well after the date. PC is a slow builder. Home consoles live on the hype prior to release(Seldom do we get the slow builders like Demon's Soul). While that is the standard for PC. Torchlight is a good example with the combination of a nicely placed Steam Sale right when the thing first started(Wink). And it having allot of positive word after launch. It rose up allot.
DS is always all over the place. So no real use in trying to predict that. It is also a handheld. So like PC. Doomed because it isn't going to get the massive hype the Home consoles get.

This would also explain many of the hype threads and meltdowns even before the games come out:lol

Now, I think the game to look out for next year is MGS PeaceWalker on the PSP. That could be a funny dark horse :lol

Schrade

Danthrax said:
Okay... yes, every game can be criticized. That still doesn't explain why KZ2 won. Did the people who played it not actually feel meh about it? I mean, apparently not, considering it won. It just surprised me based on how I remember people reacting last year.
I think most of the people who were meh about Killzone 2 were the ones who are far too used to camera on a stick shooters like Halo and Call of Duty. I'm sure many were also just people who hadn't actually played the game much and wanted to toss out their jibes due to the excitement behind the game. You can find these types by just scanning for "Killzone 2" and "Hype" in posts and you will see their silly and futile spluttering. (GoodPS3News!?!??!.gif) There are also several who just genuinely did not like all the swearing that soldiers do (pussies!) or just didn't get into the game.

While the camera on a stick type of control/feeling is great for a mouse and keyboard, it does not, in my opinion, feel right for a console controller with dual sticks. I know a lot of people found it refreshing to have that weighty feel to the controls like you're really slinging around the guns or all the equipment. For people that had problem with the cover system, it could have been that they had changed from the default keyboard layout which makes it more difficult to pull off the cover easily.

Honestly, I prefer mouse and keyboard controls for sure and there's no reason why Guerrilla Games should not have included it - the PS3 supports it natively. I bitched about it every chance I could but the controls they did have worked just great once I got accustomed to using a controller for an FPS. I still wish they'd patch in the keyboard/mouse controls though.

If you were a frequent Killzone 2 thread visitor you would have obviously seen how many people enjoyed the game. If you only popped in once in a while perhaps you ran across users who would write up these manifestos against the almighty "overhyped" Killzone 2.

In any case Killzone 2 was quite a nice breath of fresh air for first person shooters. It really did a lot of things that were innovative and refreshing, not to mention looking eye bleedingly gorgeous.

I loved the Killzone Campaign. Yes the controls does take a while to get use to but once you are use to it, it's ok. A lot of people don't want to get use to it or don't want to get use to controls in a game at all and expect shooters to have similar controls to COD4.

In my opinion I wouldn't mind Killzone 3 to have similar controls to Battlefield Bad company 2 beta on the PS3. I thought that controls real well and doesn't have a arcadey feel.

Danthrax said:
So we can round to 1% for each? I like complete data =)

Closer to 0%, probably. I'd have to double-check to be sure, but there are a lot of PC/360 crossover titles that would make a "MS exclusive" or "PC exclusive" hard to count. Based on the criteria I laid out earlier the MS exclusives were few and far between... I'd say 0% for both of them, margin of error 1% or so ;)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
timetokill said:
Closer to 0%, probably. I'd have to double-check to be sure, but there are a lot of PC/360 crossover titles that would make a "MS exclusive" or "PC exclusive" hard to count. Based on the criteria I laid out earlier the MS exclusives were few and far between... I'd say 0% for both of them, margin of error 1% or so ;)

I see. Honestly, there weren't many truly Xbox-exclusive games in 2009, so it makes sense there would be few, if any, MS-exclusive ballots.

Haunted

grandjedi6 said:

Lets be honest here, World of Goo made it onto last year's list because of the Wiiware release more than anything.
shintoki said:
The Wii and PS3 fanbases respond a bit differently. Wii is heavily focused on the big 3 Nintendo franchises. Metroid, Zelda, Mario. Ones involving those always get shown strong support. We'll definitely be seeing Galaxy up there, and if Other M delivers. So will it be. While with Sony, Whatever are the big exclusives for the year. The fanbase will rally behind.
360's base is a bit more diverse. They blend more into the Multiplatform titles(Ones shared with PC and PS3). Which is where I guess the bulk of the votes for the ones in the top come from.
With PC. They are always behind. Outside of the 3 or 4 titles a year. Most people discover the goods well after the date. PC is a slow builder. Home consoles live on the hype prior to release(Seldom do we get the slow builders like Demon's Soul). While that is the standard for PC. Torchlight is a good example with the combination of a nicely placed Steam Sale right when the thing first started(Wink). And it having allot of positive word after launch. It rose up allot.
DS is always all over the place. So no real use in trying to predict that. It is also a handheld. So like PC. Doomed because it isn't going to get the massive hype the Home consoles get.

This would also explain many of the hype threads and meltdowns even before the games come out:lol

Now, I think the game to look out for next year is MGS PeaceWalker on the PSP. That could be a funny dark horse :lol
Those are both reasonable analyses, I feel.

I really should get around to make another "state your preference" thread with Sony/MS/Nintendo as the only choices, like we had a couple years ago.

timetokill said:
:eek:

Should make another run-through "exclusives + every game playable on either a Sony or MS or Nintendo system". Could be an interesting tally of single-console owners on GAF.

Lince

Banned
the KZ2 hate still goes on? :lol

timetokill said:

then again the PS3 had an excellent year, I was expecting an even higher figure tbh.

Killzone 2 deserved it far more than L4D2 and MW2, both average sequels that didnt do enough to separate themselves from the predecessors.

Bad Company is still my favourite FPS this gen

alr1ghtstart said:
The people whining about it most likely never even played it.

I think a lot of the hate for KZ2 is more a reaction to the excessive love it got. KZ2 gifs have derailed more than one thread and I think that spawned a lot of 'mehs' from people (some of who may have not actually played it).

GAF hath spoken though. FPS of the year. A pretty impressive change of fortune for the franchise, contending with a CoD and Halo game in the same year.

Fixed1979

8-Bit Soul said:
what? are You serious guys? are You friggin serious guys?

The sports games surprised the hell out of me as well, mostly because it didn't include NHL 10...That's what I get for forgetting to vote I suppose!

Top Bottom