• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2009 Awards

DeadGzuz said:
Cry more about KZ2 folks, it's a great game both online and off. If you Halo guys loved ODST so much (you sure ran out and bough it like sheep), you should have voted for it.
who cares about halo

:bow l4d2 :bow2

Amir0x

Banned
Alternate thoughts: Fitness game of the year category? Wow what a category, so many choices

Also Killzone 2 was way better than Halo ODST. Halo ODST was the most disappointing game I played that wasn't called Brutal Legend. Worthless.

Salazar

Good picks.

Darksiders has planted a meaty foot in 2010. I don't doubt it will be challenged, but the dopamine-triggering hack-and-slash has just captivated me. It would have been well up there for 2009.

On a serious note, sad to see Silent Hill only got 11 points. It came out after voting was well underway, and so many people (including me) had probably already made their picks.

Amir0x said:
Alternate thoughts: Fitness game of the year category? Wow what a category, so many choices

Also Killzone 2 was way better than Halo ODST. Halo ODST was the most disappointing game I played that wasn't called Brutal Legend. Worthless.

I think it's worth the expansion... there were a lot of Health/Fitness games released this year, and they sold millions, so it seems silly to ignore that. Especially with whatever Vitality Sensor thing Nintendo may have planned...

EmCeeGramr said:
On a serious note, sad to see Silent Hill only got 11 points. It came out after voting was well underway, and so many people (including me) had probably already made their picks.

This is probably true... it started getting more points in the final days. Hopefully more people play it down the line.

Uncharted 2 is definitely deserving, glad to see RE5 get at least a little love. I would have thought games like Wolfenstein and Cryostasis and Saboteur would have gotten a little more love (only 1 vote for wolfenstein and cryostasis) even though I didn't personally vote for them I thought they were pretty cool (I think Saboteur was hurt by the late release).

kodt

Banned
Surprised to see Infamous so high, though it was good but didn't realize so many people liked it that much.

Though Killzone 2 was a little high. I would put MW2 above it.

Glad to see Demon's Souls and Shadow Complex get their deserved recognition.

Amir0x

Banned
timetokill said:
I think it's worth the expansion... there were a lot of Health/Fitness games released this year, and they sold millions, so it seems silly to ignore that. Especially with whatever Vitality Sensor thing Nintendo may have planned...

Yeah it just seems like the type of category people who want to pimp some useless Nintendo PR expansion of the industry bullshit would add to this. Like, a category added by someone trying too hard. It is completely and utterly worthless for GAF considering Wii Fit Plus got ONLY FOUR POINTS, and EA Sports Active got 2 POINTS.

Besides, there were hardly a lot of Fitness games released. There were a very small handful of fitness games, and only like three of them sold anywhere near the numbers you're talking about.

The category is worthless. Should not be added for next year unless GAF turns into some casualware forum where more than two wii fanboys vote for the Fitness games.

Fredescu said:
Thanks timetokill! RPG oty was so close. Both great games.

It really was. I wasn't sure which game was going to win that one until the final votes. Since they're alphabetically so close together, it was like a little grudge match between the two on my voting spreadsheet :lol

Amir0x said:
Yeah it just seems like the type of category people who want to pimp some useless Nintendo PR expansion of the industry bullshit would add to this. Like, a category added by someone trying too hard. It is completely and utterly worthless for GAF considering Wii Fit Plus got ONLY FOUR POINTS, and EA Sports Active got 2 POINTS.

Besides, there were hardly a lot of Fitness games released. There were a very small handful of fitness games, and only like three of them sold anywhere near the numbers you're talking about.

The category is worthless. Should not be added for next year unless GAF turns into some casualware forum where more than two wii fanboys vote for the Fitness games.

Ouch :lol

Fair enough. There were actually quite a few fitness games released though they didn't all get votes... I should know because I saw a lot of them being received as gifts over the holidays :p It wasn't my intent to add it to "pimp" Nintendo PR or whatever.

Wow. 4 PS3 exclusives in the top 10. 1 Wii exclusive. And 0 Xbox 360 exclusives.

Sony really did have a tremendous year in terms of software.

arne

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :D

we're all extremely jazzed to see love to see the love from the collective gaffers, especially given the super solid roster of games released this year.

My nominations:
Flower:3 =#12 GOTY/ #1 Adventure/ #5 PS3 GOTY/ #1 DD GOTY/ #5 New I.P
Torchlight:2 =#15 GOTY/ #1 PC GOTY/ #6 New I.P
Devil Survivor:2 =#2 SRPG/ #6 Handheld GOTY/ #5 DS GOTY/ #1 Handheld SRPG
Demon's Souls:2 =#3 GOTY/ #1 RPG/ #2 PS3 GOTY/ #1 New I.P

Well i can't complain with those results! Everything i nominated grabbed a #1 spot somewhere.

Thanks for the hard work OP.

Jakeh111

kodt said:
Yah what genre is that? Dota is almost it's own genre.

It is sort of a mix of RPG and strategy and action.
All three genres better define it than MMO but if I had to pick I would say strategy.

Ephemeris

kz2.jpg

854k6fp.gif

Love the top 3 GOTY's

Glad to see Killzone 2 so high up there. Game deserves it. Haters should just get lost and cry in a corner if it bothers them so much.

Amir0x

Banned
timetokill said:
Ouch :lol

Fair enough. There were actually quite a few fitness games released though they didn't all get votes... I should know because I saw a lot of them being received as gifts over the holidays :p It wasn't my intent to add it to "pimp" Nintendo PR or whatever.

To be less over-the-top, though, in all sincerity it really makes no sense to make it a separate category, when all sorts of other bizarre and outlying genre titles received more than four points on GAF, and yet didn't also get its own category.

My point was that clearly, in terms of categories, it was a stretch to think "Best Fitness" had any relevance on GAF. Relevance to the industry, sure, not to GAF though which is what this list is for.

NIGHT- said:
L4d2, Mw2, or Borderlands. Take your pick.
Thats your opinion. The majority of people however, chose Killzone 2. Deal with it, your in the minority, noone is going to sympathise with your plight, as most people disagree (as shown in KZ2 winning).

Seriously, there is no use complaining about x game should have gotten higher than z game, its pointless.

botticus

Amir0x said:

You're right. I thought that particular category stole valuable (and extremely limited!) GAF space from Games Starting With the Letter Y.

Amir0x said:
To be less over-the-top, though, in all sincerity it really makes no sense to make it a separate category, when all sorts of other bizarre and outlying genre titles received more than four points on GAF, and yet didn't also get its own category.

My point was that clearly, in terms of categories, it was a stretch to think "Best Fitness" had any relevance on GAF. Relevance to the industry, sure, not to GAF though which is what this list is for.

Yeah, I can see that point, certainly.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
arne said:

we're all extremely jazzed to see love to see the love from the collective gaffers, especially given the super solid roster of games released this year.

Congrats!:D

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
arne said:

You best put "Game of the Year - Neogaf.com" on the GOTY edition's cover.

pseudocaesar said:
Thats your opinion. The majority of people however, chose Killzone 2. Deal with it, your in the minority, noone is going to sympathise with your plight, as most people disagree (as shown in KZ2 winning).

Seriously, there is no use complaining about x game should have gotten higher than z game, its pointless.
damn dude you sure are angry about videogames

Amir0x

Banned
For Uncharted 3, make sure when the Drake is fighting on the Alien ship as Earth explodes behind him that he says "BELIEVE" before the end.

Also, I thought Arkham Asylum would begin to lose steam by the end of the year but it's nice to see it retain momentum. I hope they continue the strong quality with the sequel, I'm really looking forward to it.

More variety in boss fights, a simple restriction on the bat vision, and the game will go from amazing to SUPER amazing.

Big B

Demon's Souls got a lot of recognition - awesome.

But seriously? Locoroco 2 only got 4 points? I thought GAF loved 2D platformers? I guess since it's on the PSP and not a new reiteration of a 20 year franchise (or on a HD console) they don't give a shit.

HUELEN10

Project Diva placed 3rd, and it's all because of me?!?!?!?! :O

Wow, I'm so happy. An import game got 3rd place in handheld music games, and I made it happen. Sweet! :D

Biggest surprise was Punch-Out!! being so high up. I wasn't expecting it, but I wanted it to happen. I am also happy that others voted for Excitebike as well!

What a great GOTY, you did great timetokill, and you better be doing it next year too!

BTW, keep the genres as they are, you nailed it.

AniHawk

Good job timetokill. List turned out to be really PS3 centric this year, but the PS3 did have a pretty good year. Too bad Ratchet & Clank didn't get the love say, inFamous did. :\

Lince

Banned
thousands of hours of pure gaming bliss to be had just with those top 10 games, definitely 2009 was a good year for gaming... with some pleasant surprises such as Batman, Infamous and Flower. Can't wait for 2010 list (Mass Effect 2, FFXIII, GT5, GOW3, Crackdown 2, MG Peace Walker, Bioshock 2... and hopefully The Last Guardian)

Schrade

arne said:

arne
Universal acclaim. <=----
(Today, 06:00 PM)
Reply | Quote

You guys fucking deserve it, bud!

AniHawk

arne said:

I promise I'll give it a shot one day. Maybe it'll be like KOTOR.

As usual GAF has the Best "Best of the Year" of the Year.

Gotta admit I was surprised (not disappointed) to see KillZone 2 take the FPS category, but it is a great game worthy of kudos.

Snipes424

Great list

NIGHT- said:
L4d2, Mw2, or Borderlands. Take your pick.

LFD2 - Well, I'm not going to argue anyone if they say they like LFD2 more than KZ2, but in my personal opinion, KZ2 is a better game.

MW2 - No, just no

Borderlands - didn't play it, so no comment

Top Bottom