• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.
A picture for the record.

MM1xW.jpg

I have no idea if I'd partake in gifting again if I had the chance to. For the past two weeks, I've been bombarded by people - often the same people - asking me to buy them crap. When I say I can't, they start begging/haggling as if no does not mean no. Did no one read that I could only spend $14? Maybe I should have asked MRORANGE to take me off the list after my initial gifting.

I want to help out and give during holidaytimes, but there's a limit to both my patience and my generosity (for one, if you're a gaming addict or if you already have a huge library, there's no way in hell that I'm going to buy you a game).

Even xelios had problems because a group of people on Steamgifts didn't like his GAF private giveaways. Some people just transform into a monster when there's free stuff to be had. It's a crying shame :(

You mean the people trying to trade Humble Indie Bundle keys? Or begging for them? Or the ones who always appear for the free giveaway every time? Or playing off their former on sale product as full price? Or lots of other scummy things.

Dat Winter Sale trading thread. There are some gems there, but to be honest I've done great trades here, with people expecting reasonable amounts of coal and being very respectful AND NOT A SINGLE NON TRADABLE WINTER GIFT. I suggest visiting Steamtrades.com once or twice a day, some threads are just unbelievable.

I have no idea if I'd partake in gifting again if I had the chance to. For the past two weeks, I've been bombarded by people - often the same people - asking me to buy them crap. When I say I can't, they start begging/haggling as if no does not mean no. Did no one read that I could only spend $14? Maybe I should have asked MRORANGE to take me off the list after my initial gifting.

I want to help out and give during holidaytimes, but there's a limit to both my patience and my generosity (for one, if you're a gaming addict or if you already have a huge library, there's no way in hell that I'm going to buy you a game).

Wow....I was really hoping GAF wouldn't have to many people like that. Pretty stupid of me to hope that though with how many people are on this forum.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Dat Winter Sale trading thread. There are some gems there, but to be honest I've done great trades here, with people expecting reasonable amounts of coal and being very respectful AND NOT A SINGLE NON TRADABLE WINTER GIFT. I suggest visiting Steamtrades.com once or twice a day, some threads are just unbelievable.
I really don't care about other sites. I expect it there. Its similar to assholish online behavior when I play with gaffers. I expect it in random play, I don't expect to hear it when I play with gaffers. But I still do and it just doesn't settle right with me. I guess I got into a cozy state here with the few people I do talk to being very benevolent in their ways and I do believe the stricter moderation does a lot to weed out that attitude. So it doesn't particularly sit right with me when I see people trying to play others or take advantage of em.

Volcynika

I offloaded an extra copy of a game to a non-gaffer (as far as I know) since I was trying to give it away and just wanted to give it free to someone who really wanted it (Killing Floor + all DLC, this was last year I think).

Now every time I get messaged by the guy, it's usually either small talk or "omg this game is on sale and I can't afford it :( :( :(". I helped him once and gifted him a cheap game for his birthday, but now it's just kinda irritating.

I actually use days on sales where I want nothing to browse the wishlists of my friends (use the wishlist, people!) and give them a game or two if it's not super pricey. I like to surprise friends with stuff and a few here I've done that for. I don't ask for anything in return, and they don't message me really any to ask if I can gift them something. They even surprise me with games and I'm thankful for that.

If someone really needs help, I'll do what I can (obviously if they have a huge backlog it's not a priority), but people trying to make me feel sorry for them and buy them something annoys me. Trying to take advantage of generosity is blah.

Davidion

I offloaded an extra copy of a game to a non-gaffer (as far as I know) since I was trying to give it away and just wanted to give it free to someone who really wanted it (Killing Floor + all DLC, this was last year I think).

Now every time I get messaged by the guy, it's usually either small talk or "omg this game is on sale and I can't afford it :( :( :(". I helped him once and gifted him a cheap game for his birthday, but now it's just kinda irritating.

I actually use days on sales where I want nothing to browse the wishlists of my friends (use the wishlist, people!) and give them a game or two if it's not super pricey. I like to surprise friends with stuff and a few here I've done that for. I don't ask for anything in return, and they don't message me really any to ask if I can gift them something. They even surprise me with games and I'm thankful for that.

If someone really needs help, I'll do what I can (obviously if they have a huge backlog it's not a priority), but people trying to make me feel sorry for them and buy them something annoys me. Trying to take advantage of generosity is blah.

I've received several friend requests from people who were basically beggars and constantly pestered me to buy them games. I regularly help non-US people buy US-discounted games, but this is just irritating, nevermind sad.

Fortunately there's a block function.

iNvid02

never happened to me, and i would never beg anyone especially after they already gave me a game once. except puppetshadow, I WILL WIN ALL YOUR BULLSEYE BINGO GAMES

mojiimbo

So you were on the list that was strictly for helping others out with regional pricing and people misunderstood that and outright begged for free games? Wow.

Card Boy

Banned
Grabbed Space Marine aswell from GMG. Dam thing is 89.99USD on Australian Steam. Hopefully some Aussies pick it up so we can do some multiplayer.

oipic

After being suitably convinced that a (non-GAF) guy was super-keen on a game I was trading during the sale, I effectively traded it to him for nothing - he then proceeded to sully the gesture by asking for several days following for whatever else as a freebie as well.

Bit sad, really - some of the dealings I had during the whole sale thing left me feeling a bit miserable and dirty. Not sure why some folks see such times as an opportunity to try to fleece people or whatever, but I guess that's human nature. There were enough games and whatever else floating around for everyone to find what they wanted at fair expense, I reckon.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'll trade you Dirt 3, HIB 3 & 4, and three 25% Valve Coupons for Skyrim, please.

At least the $1 minimum kept HIB4 games from being as widely available as HIB1-3 games. I wouldn't mind seeing them bump it up to $5 or so just to prevent people from exploiting the system.

Card Boy

Banned
Can we name and shame these beggar twits please? Begging is just wrong.

People like xelios/Arken/ctrayne/willflare/Twinduct are helping people out of kindness, and it makes me angry people are potentialy abusing their goodwill.

Sblargh

Banned
lol, I can't get into Neverwinter Nights 2, character creation is too intimidating. Knowing nothing about D&D and buying this game was a bad combination, it seems.

Does this thread still exist? Curious about it now.

Behold

Anyways, in other PC gaming non-news... Today I ventured into various places looking for some gifts (here in Spain it's traditional to recieve our Christmas gifts on the 6th of January, although many people also/just gets them on the 25th of December nowadays. If anyone is interested, wiki). And for what must be the first time in my life, I looked for PC games to see how much are they asking for them in stores.

Best prices I saw were Space Marine for 25€, Dragon Age Origins for 10€ and Hunted: The Demon's Forge for 10€. To be honest I thought that, given that no one buys retail PC games, the price of all games would be around 30€ (when it's around 50€) and that I could find something very cheap. I was personally looking for Killing Floor, as its key validates on Steam, and it costed 20€ :/

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I just wanted to share my experience. I've become a PC player this year, I've always been a Nintendo guy (now I mostly play PC + 3DS, and Wii sometimes), I just was surprised to realize that I really never even looked at the PC section before, at any point in my life.

Card Boy

Banned
lol, I can't get into Neverwinter Nights 2, character creation is too intimidating. Knowing nothing about D&D and buying this game was a bad combination, it seems.

What type characters you want to make? Warrior, thief or Mage?

If you read the stat descriptions you can work out what each class needs. Eg, more DEX for a Thief, more STR and END (aka Stamina) for a Warrior.

Half elf from memory was good for a Thief.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That sounds like a reasonable thing to do. I don't think Steam can read inside archives -- instead, it computes byte-level differential patches.

Error correcting codes only work when there's a bound on the number of errors. I assume Steam computes file hashes, and a wrong file hash doesn't give any info on the number of errors.

(Note that if you try to start Witcher 2 now, if your local copy hasn't moved to the new system yet it will -- this will cause the entire game to be redownloaded. This was explained as a limitation of the conversion and a one-time thing, IIRC.)

Yeah, I'm aware of this. As I recall, Titan Quest was the first game to move to the new system.

Anywho, with TW2 having joined Titan Quest and co., I'm now convinced that CDPR are just lazy buggers. :p The lack of an overlay doesn't particularly bother me, but it's such a trivial bug that I'm confounded as to why it hasn't been fixed after 3~4 months.

Tomodachi

I finished Bastion and removed one entry from my backlog. Feels good.

About the game: I just feel it's very overestimated. But hey, that's me.

MRORANGE

That really sucks :| I wished you gave me a heads up about this, by any chance you still got a list of convo's? I am tempted to make a shame/ban list of some sort.

GAF has plenty of cool folks but there are also a *ton* of parasitic scumbags. It's just not worth the hassle.

I love the fact you can search Gaf member post history now, it was pretty easy to find out who just whored all the gifts.

You mean the people trying to trade Humble Indie Bundle keys? Or begging for them? Or the ones who always appear for the free giveaway every time? Or playing off their former on sale product as full price? Or lots of other scummy things.

Humble bundle keys should be banned as trading goods on GAF IMO.

Even xelios had problems because a group of people on Steamgifts didn't like his GAF private giveaways. Some people just transform into a monster when there's free stuff to be had. It's a crying shame :(

Xelios same as Wuvcraft if you got any people that kept annoying you buy stuff for them or harassing then send any conversations/people who kept offending.

In all honesty people just expect you take there coupons and give them games for it :| I pretty much despise that thread

Wow....I was really hoping GAF wouldn't have to many people like that. Pretty stupid of me to hope that though with how many people are on this forum.

Yeah same thing here, posted on gaf for a few of my gaf/steam friends to check my there inventory because I dropped a gift, an hour later:

q8caN.png

seriously?

1-D_FTW

In the spirit of gifting, just went and looked to see if anyone on my friends list had Racettear on their wishlist. Gifted it to the person who has logged 71 hours gaming in the past 2 weeks. Seems like a good home for a game I'd never touch.

Sblargh

Banned
What type characters you want to make? Warrior, thief or Mage?

If you read the stat descriptions you can work out what each class needs. Eg, more DEX for a Thief, more STR and END (aka Stamina) for a Warrior.

Half elf from memory was good for a Thief.

I don't really know, I'm used either to Bethesda WRPGs where you answer questions based on personality or Deus EX kind where you especialize during the game. I could get one of the pre-made characters, but I don't really like their backgrounds...
I think I'll try to come up with a background I feel comfortable first and be screwed by gameplay choices later.

ElRenoRaven

That's sad to hear that some of you guys got pestered and treated like crap for helping others and for being generous. People wonder why people are reluctant to be nice and/or help people. Well it's crap like posted here. People who tried to give away stuff and were shit on or harassed by people just wanting free shit. It's sad too.

I feel bad for everyone getting spammed with "gimme free stuff" by people they have helped with pricing.

Thankfully I haven't had that happen yet when I have helped people. I don't know if it was because I stated I needed the paypal payment first or if I was lucky that the people I helped were really cool about things. I hope it doesn't happen for me and I really hope it does stop for everyone else.

MRORANGE

Anyone that didn't get in on Hamilton's need a code? If so first to quote gets the code.

when I said put it on gaf I should have also mentioned to do it in a more creative manner so the person has to do some kind of competition XD

(USE PAINT AND DRAW A PUPPY)

As penance for placing second on the last thread's wall of shame I'm currently installing Final Fantasy VII for my next round of WRPG Neckbeard Plays a JRPG.

The past couple of weeks I ploughed through Bully, RAGE, Dungeon Siege III DLC, Bastion and got about 10 hours into both Fable 3 (what is this i don't even) and Darksiders which is actually pretty good once you get past the prologue. Also, thanks to wil for Hard Reset and ctrayne for E.Y.E., always reminding me why SteamGAF is Best GAF.

1-D_FTW

So has Steam crapped out again? Trying to start Deus Ex: HR and it just hangs there.

EDIT: Damnit, even that needed to have it's cache verified first. And this is a recent game installed well after my reformat. WTF is wrong with my account?

2nd EDIT: And that solved Jack. Even though I downloaded a little bit after verifying the cache, same thing. Hangs after 2 minutes of the DirectX bullshit.

3rd EDIT: Found the solution on Steam's forums. Needed to disable sync to Steam Cloud to get past the hanging.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The past couple of weeks I ploughed through Bully, RAGE, Dungeon Siege III DLC, Bastion and got about 10 hours into both Fable 3 (what is this i don't even) and Darksiders which is actually pretty good once you get past the prologue. Also, thanks to wil for Hard Reset and ctrayne for E.Y.E., always reminding me why SteamGAF is Best GAF.

I'd love to hear your thoughts after finishing it, lol.

JaseC

As penance for placing second on the last thread's wall of shame I'm currently installing Final Fantasy VII for my next round of WRPG Neckbeard Plays a JRPG.

The worst game I've ever played is what it is.

Edit: Obligatory.

MRORANGE

I was never much into Final Fantasy Series but I recommend playing FF6 as well - the only others I played was 7 & 3 but 6 is praised quite highly and I can understand why, even if some people said there was too many characters to care about, I found each character different enough to do there side stories as well.

I feel bad for everyone getting spammed with "gimme free stuff" by people they have helped with pricing.

Thankfully I haven't had that happen yet when I have helped people. I don't know if it was because I stated I needed the paypal payment first or if I was lucky that the people I helped were really cool about things. I hope it doesn't happen for me and I really hope it does stop for everyone else.

Thankfully it hasn't happened to me either. Most people I got to help were gaffers, but I also got non gaffer as well. I think most of them are just generous that they can get games as a better/realistic cost. For the beggar and stuff. Haven't had it happen, but wtf is this shit.

Thankfully it hasn't happened to me either. Most people I got to help were gaffers, but I also got non gaffer as well. I think most of them are just generous that they can get games as a better/realistic cost. For the beggar and stuff. Haven't had it happen, but wtf is this shit.

Yeah after reading what was going on I was curious if you had encountered it as well. Good to hear you didn't have the problem too.

JaseC

So has Steam crapped out again? Trying to start Deus Ex: HR and it just hangs there.

EDIT: Damnit, even that needed to have it's cache verified first. And this is a recent game installed well after my reformat. WTF is wrong with my account?

2nd EDIT: And that solved Jack. Even though I downloaded a little bit after verifying the cache, same thing. Hangs after 2 minutes of the DirectX bullshit.

If you haven't already, try deleting ClientRegistry.blob. Yesterday, I couldn't run DNF as the "Preparing to launch Duke Nukem Forever..." window would refuse to progress, but deleting said file did the trick - as always.

I'd love to hear your thoughts after finishing it, lol.

I really don't think I will hey. Any RPG which lets me have a dog wins amazing points, and yet in spite of starting with such a significant lead over the competition it rapidly descends into a mess of Sim-game conventions and Molyneuxisms. It's not helped by the fact that I encountered two separate progress blocking sequence-break bugs so had to start the game twice (I gave up after hitting the second one). Oh thanks for encrypting my saves GFWL, I fucking love that.

It's got some aspects to it which aren't totally objectionable; I love alternative schemes to XP for character progression for example, and the influence system is a good one because there are so many organic and intuitive ways to manipulate it. Also the Lionhead version of Radiant AI for the townspeople is usually pretty entertaining.

And then you have to play a Simon Says game to make some pies and everything goes to shit. Then you die and instantly resurrect on the spot with full health making consumables utterly meaningless. Then you decide to start a friendship with someone and hold down the A-button until your controller vibrates -- precious memories. And then they ask you to do a fetch quest which isn't even made slightly interesting by you having to actually fetch anything since you can fast-travel to and from pretty much everywhere in the world.

Perhaps I'll get back to it when I get a new video card, it's a surprisingly attractive game but holy shit is it mediocre in a lot of significant ways. And to be honest, Lionhead games haven't been funny to anyone but Benny Hill fans since Black & White.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom