• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone SE |OT| A Dazzling Display of Common Sense (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guess Who

Banned
Think the SE's front camera is from the 5, the aperture is listed as 2.4 (thus worse) and the 5S and higher had ones with 2.2.

There's some misinformation out there on the internet, it seems. GSMArena, for instance, lists the iPhone 5S as having a f/2.2 aperture on the front camera, and of course, it's the first Google result for "iphone 5s specs".

However, Apple's own spec sheet lists it as f/2.4, and Anandtech's review agrees.

For the front camera, the iPhone 5 and 5S (and the SE, for that matter) have a f/2.4 aperture, whereas the 6 has f/2.2.

There's some misinformation out there on the internet, it seems. GSMArena, for instance, lists the iPhone 5S as having a f/2.2 aperture on the front camera, and of course, it's the first Google result for "iphone 5s specs".

However, Apple's own spec sheet lists it as f/2.4, and Anandtech's review agrees.
Alright, thanks for your help. :)

So based on what we know, the front facing camera of the SE should perform around the level of at least the 5s in low-light situations, and thus better than the iPhone 5's does?

Features not in the OP that the iPhone SE also lacks compared to the 6s series:
* 800:1 contrast ratio screen instead of the 6s's 1400:1 screen
* no LTE Advanced
* no 2nd-gen Touch ID
* no Taptic Engine

Man it's like they're selling these gullible fools a three year old phone...

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
It is done. iPhone SE in silver with 64GB.

My iPhone 6 with 128GB will be with my fiancée from now on. Feels strange to "downgrade" from a GB standpoint. But after using the iPhone 5 my fiancée uses I just realised I miss the form factor.

Yay SE! What is the best cheap iOS controller for an iPhone SE?

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
If this is 399€ here in Italy I might actually jump on it. I can't believe I'm saying this ahahah.

Love the fact that uses the 5 desing, 6 are horrible in my opinion.

samn

Ah, the classic "I don't care argument" when discussing about features that are better on other devices.

Which is perfectly valid in response to the classic 'oh these dumb Apple sheep having different priorities from myself'.

jstripes

Banned
Which is perfectly valid in response to the classic 'oh these dumb Apple sheep having different priorities from myself'.

Never mind that the iPhone SE's A9 SoC is still more powerful than almost every Android phone... ITS SELFIE CAMERA IS INSUFFICIENT!!

br3wnor

Have had the 6+ for about a year now with Tmobile. Preordered the SE 64GB and it's going to lower my phone payment by about $10 a month. I have a love/hate with the 6+ but I think I'm going to enjoy going back to a "normal" sized phone.

This is where in at, have a 6s+, loooooove the battery and watching media on it, not a fan of how I have to hold it and use 2 hands for typing. Booted up my old 5 the other day and really do miss how the phone handles. I never use 3D Touch and overall don't really take advantage of what having the 6s+ offers besides the amazing battery life.

At this point I can sell my 6s+ for a profit and then lower my monthly bill by $15 if I get the SE. Gonna definitely think about it.

HUELEN10

Woke up, checked my bank this morning and....
iwe5yH5.jpg
Jizc5gG.jpg

IT BEGINS!

Mine says it will arrive around April 1-5th. I haven't been charged yet. Anyway I can get this shipped to an Apple Store instead of my home?

I'll be pre-ordering a 64 GB Space Grey version today. Guess I'll just have to suck it up and get it even though getting a lesser quality display/front-facing camera than the 6/6S sucks, but my iPhone 5 is getting a bit too slow for my liking.

Just ordered a Mophie battery case from Amazon for £18 (used to be £70 when the 5S came out lol), gonna hang onto it for a month and if battery is good enough without I'll send the case back.

Blackhead

Redarse
Never mind that the iPhone SE's A9 SoC is still more powerful than almost every Android phone... ITS SELFIE CAMERA IS INSUFFICIENT!!

Single core performance still is higher than the Snapdragon 820's Kryo cores for example.

Apple fans about Mac: The newest CPUs and most powerful GPUs aren't that important. Who really needs to play Valve games? Meh.

Apple fans about iOS: YOU NEED MOST POWERFUL SoC TO PLAY CANDY CRUSH!1!

Let's be honest: processor benchmarks don't matter to most people — especially on phones. What matters are battery life, beautiful big and/or high-density displays, battery life, app ecosystem and UI, battery life and price.

Jeremy

Apple fans about Mac: The newest CPUs and most powerful GPUs aren't that important. Who really needs to play Valve games? Meh.

Let's be honest: processor benchmarks don't matter to most people — especially on phones. What matters are battery life, beautiful big and/or high-density displays, battery life, app ecosystem and UI, battery life and price.

Don't forget battery life.

Seriously, if this thing's battery life smokes my 6s I'll have the SE. Battery is the only thing I have a problem with anymore. I get the "carry a portable charger" thing but sheez. Don't care about the front-facing camera, the 3D touch I've never used, FP reader 2.0, etc. if I have more battery life. Not sure why someone thinks Apple's pulling the wool over my eyes by offering me a significantly cheaper phone that sheds the fat and gives me something that I can use comfortably again.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Any reviews out there with empirical numbers for battery life? I keep hearing it's good, but I want measurements. Can I get the same battery life as I do out of my 6s+?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Any reviews out there with empirical numbers for battery life? I keep hearing it's good, but I want measurements. Can I get the same battery life as I do out of my 6s+?
No measurements so far. Only the verge review which said the battery life is really good IIRC.
But I hope we see something soon.

Only thing numbers wise I've seen is Apple's own numbers which say it matches and even bests the 6/s+ in certain use cases.

br3wnor

I believe the WSJ review said it got about 2 hours more than a 6S. Doubt it will hit 6S+ levels since that's basically god tier but will probably come close.

If I'm not mistaken its almost as big as the 6S battery capacity wise which given the smaller screen should be a nice boost. 6S+ most of the time I'm going to bed at 30+% so if this thing can get within an hour or 2 of that I'm golden.

Blablurn

I want one because its new and shiny and because I wanna get rid of my android phone...

But no..

I shall wait till September. I have a feeling I will regret going for a smaller phone. Even if it looks so pretty.

Unfortunately the news that the real iPhone 7 is coming next year suck a little.

jstripes

Banned

Honestly, I don't care if my phone has the most powerful SoC on the market. It's just a nice bonus. But as someone who's preferred Apple's stuff (in most cases) for 25 years now, I've had to deal with near-constant dismissal by haters, so it's nice to have the "most powerful" sometimes.

Armadilo

Banned
I was going to get this and then upgrade to the i7 but maybe i'm going to wait until the i7, will maybe have better credit and save money for when it comes out. Right now I have a bad phone

NeOak

What Apple fan? I use a Windows Phone.

You seem salty about something.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Virgin Mobile Kyocera hydro.
Its like screwed up. I charge it and the screen wont turn on or other times it glitches and the screen won't turn on
You're on Virgin too? Will you be getting a Virgin prepaid iPhone? Or getting an actual phone plan?

I'm on Virgin myself and currently have a 5C. It was like $350 or so unsubsidized from Virgin and am planning on using part of my tax return to get a 6S+. $750 will be a lot but maybe I'll get lucky and they'll have a sale around the same time. Probably not. (Got my 5C for 20% off during a sale.) I would get an SE if I didn't really want to get a bigger screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom