• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

hirokazu

Holy shit fam.... Just holy shit at the amount of families with Neo-Nazi, Nazi, and KKK symbols at the MN State Fair. I cannot tell you how many times I saw:

I was fucking astounded fam. Just shocked..... The worst part is that these folks weren't even scared of showing these hate symbols. They wore shirts, and tattoos, and were out and about with it! The fuck Minnesota?!!!!!?!
I decided to go to Japan at the end of the year instead of the US because the political situation seems fucked up in the US right now, including stuff like this.

Now I have to hope shit doesn't hit the fan with North Korea before or during my trip to Japan. :(

Might as well just stay home and never travel in the future.

I decided to go to Japan at the end of the year instead of the US because the political situation seems fucked up in the US right now, including stuff like this.

Now I have to hope shit doesn't hit the fan with North Korea before or during my trip to Japan. :(

We have power in numbers. I people watch and watch body language. The people I saw with those symbols are really scared of us when they don't have the numbers. I made sure to stare and give them the stink eye and they know why. These folks are scared of us and won't do anything because they actually can't.

They, well a majority of them, are all talk and no bark. Shut them down whenever you can even during events like a state fair. They're scared of eye contact and looking towards your way.

wandering

Banned
Why do all the groups focused on Asian men's issues have to be full of such toxic shittery? I've been wanting to find a way to talk about the issues and anxieties I've been having particular to being an Asian man but all the conversations are dominated by those angry, hypermasculine, misogynistic kinds of guys. Like I feel like I can't even bring up my thoughts without being lumped in with those idiots anymore. Add "bitter" to the list of Asian man stereotypes. It's a lose-lose proposition.

Really quick, StMeph, is your family okay out near Houston?

Why do all the groups focused on Asian men's issues have to be full of such toxic shittery? I've been wanting to find a way to talk about the issues and anxieties I've been having particular to being an Asian man but all the conversations are dominated by those angry, hypermasculine, misogynistic kinds of guys. Like I feel like I can't even bring up my thoughts without being lumped in with those idiots anymore. Add "bitter" to the list of Asian man stereotypes. It's a lose-lose proposition.
I think it's due to over-correction from systemic emasculation. It's the same reason it feels special to see an Asian man with a white woman.

Was it you who posted something like this on r/asianamerican? There was a post talking about this, lol.

I don't know and I'm guilty of spouting some really horrific shit about the topic at hand. I've since then learned to not talk like that because it's really childish and immature.

Maedre

Banned
Holy shit fam.... Just holy shit at the amount of families with Neo-Nazi, Nazi, and KKK symbols at the MN State Fair. I cannot tell you how many times I saw:

And

I was fucking astounded fam. Just shocked..... The worst part is that these folks weren't even scared of showing these hate symbols. They wore shirts, and tattoos, and were out and about with it! The fuck Minnesota?!!!!!?!

The Iron Cross is a hate symbol? Its a prussian and germany military symbol and is still used. The Hackenkreuz is another story and should be erased from earth.

The Iron Cross is a hate symbol?

It's a tight line that many people can approach, but whenever I see it tatted or worn it is almost always with KKK, Nazi code words or numbers. It's generally used, like the Confederate flag (lol), like a sign of anti-conformity and being "against the system", or being a rebel.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the Iron Cross, but there is something wrong with how it is used and when I was at the State Fair it was accompanied with a ton of Nazi and KKK code words and numbers.

Maedre

Banned
It's a tight line that many people can approach, but whenever I see it tatted or worn it is almost always with KKK, Nazi code words or numbers. It's generally used, like the Confederate flag (lol), like a sign of anti-conformity and being "against the system", or being a rebel.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the Iron Cross, but there is something wrong with how it is used and when I was at the State Fair it was accompanied with a ton of Nazi and KKK code words and numbers.

Ah ok, i didn't know that it is associated with the KKK in the USA. But when i think about it, beside the Bundeswehr it is still used by many far right idiots in germany.

Ah ok, i didn't know that it is associated with the KKK in the USA. But when i think about it, beside the Bundeswehr it is still used by many far right idiots in germany.

Oh yeah. If Germany is still using it then it's not inherently bad since they are the first to outlaw and ban ANY Nazi imagery/symbols ��, but it really sucks because it's now used by racist fucks in the US and from my pov, they use it as a replacement for the Swastika because of how many perceive the Iron Cross as a symbol of rebellion and whatnot.

Edit: @wandering, what do you want to talk about? We have plenty of girls in here (with bsb being a loud voice :p) and there are plenty of dudes (in the voice of Mac from Always Sunny) in here to talk about it without us going off the deep end. I actually want to hear/read what the Asians on GAF would like to say about your topic!

wandering

Banned
I think it's due to over-correction from systemic emasculation. It's the same reason it feels special to see an Asian man with a white woman.

Yeah I can get that, but it's ultimately just harmful and adds to all the baggage already there for Asian dudes. It makes it harder to talk seriously about these issues.

Was it you who posted something like this on r/asianamerican? There was a post talking about this, lol.

I don't know and I'm guilty of spouting some really horrific shit about the topic at hand. I've since then learned to not talk like that because it's really childish and immature.

Lol yeah that was me. Which poster are you?

Yeah I can get that, but it's ultimately just harmful and adds to all the baggage already there for Asian dudes. It makes it harder to talk seriously about these issues.

Lol yeah that was me. Which poster are you?

Hah. I don't use Reddit anymore since I'm on my main bae, NeoGAF. I just browse Reddit to see what leaks and whatnot about The Flash and the rest of Comic Book movies!

ahdurian

Hah. I don't use Reddit anymore since I'm on my main bae, NeoGAF. I just browse Reddit to see what leaks and whatnot about The Flash and the rest of Comic Book movies!

i'm conflicted at times on which should be my main bae: GAF or Reddit
they both do such wonderful things for me but at times i hate both

wandering

Banned
Edit: @wandering, what do you want to talk about? We have plenty of girls in here (with bsb being a loud voice :p) and there are plenty of dudes (in the voice of Mac from Always Sunny) in here to talk about it without us going off the deep end. I actually want to hear/read what the Asians on GAF would like to say about your topic!

Just saw your edit.

I mean, it's not much different from the usual gripes, feeling emasculated, desexualized, stereotyped as weak and passive, yada yada. I've been dealing with some pretty bad depression for the past few years and recently it's made me more vulnerable to thinking about these sorts of things. Peering into the dark corners of the internet despite my better judgment. It's hard for me to separate myself from all of it and live as an individual; it feels like I'm beholden to my race in a way that I haven't felt before.

One issue I will always point out whenever I hear stuff concerning Asian Masculinity is the fact that those dudes are way too concerned with how people perceive them when the fact of the matter is, is that most people don't care about it, or not care as much as they do. Simply, low self-esteem and little to no confidence.

That's just something I've noticed. I'm not too knowledgeable about the topic though.

Edit: I'm not talking about you wandering, but just some shit I've noticed from my friends who are like that.

hirokazu

Yeah, I think it's the same deal with the Japanese naval flag. It's still used by the Japanese navy today, despite all the negative imperial connotations it has in much of Asia. And if you see any civilians making use of the flag, you know they're using it as a symbol of Japanese nationalism, militarism and everything that comes with that.

I mean, it's not much different from the usual gripes, feeling emasculated, desexualized, stereotyped as weak and passive, yada yada. I've been dealing with some pretty bad depression for the past few years and recently it's made me more vulnerable to thinking about these sorts of things. Peering into the dark corners of the internet despite my better judgment. It's hard for me to separate myself from all of it and live as an individual; it feels like I'm beholden to my race in a way that I haven't felt before.
Care to elaborate for those of us who don't reddit?

dohdough

Geez my wife and I can barely plan ahead for ourselves, let alone future hypothetical children. Do you all really think kids need that leg up with extra tutoring, college planning, etc.? My parents definitely winged it and my wife had to do everything herself because of language issues, so we have no template to follow. Things like signing up for preschool before your child is even born sounds ridiculous.

We have to be twice as smart and have twice the credentials to get even halfway to the bamboo ceiling. For that privilege, we'll still make less than our white peers and get passed over while training our future bosses.

You don't have to go full "tiger mom," but it's about making sure your kids have a chance at being as comfortable as possible when they're on their own by giving them as many tools as possible.

Here's an anecdote: We brought our toddler to a charity easter egg hunt and the organizers explicitly told parents to allow their kid to get ONE egg because there weren't enough eggs for everyone that showed up. There were full grown adults snatching eggs from in front of other kids and others were encouraging their kids to take more and more. It absolutely disgusted me and kids were snatching them up as my kid bent down to pick one up. I hustled her out of there and she had the saddest look in her eyes. My wife managed to get one of the volunteers to give our kid an egg, but it really shook me to the core. This wasn't in the 'hood either, but a well-to-do suburb.

Point is that no one will give a shit about your kid except you and we're planning on giving ours every advantage we can. You might have scruples, but that doesn't mean that the parent next to you will. Given the chance, they will more often than not snatch that proverbial egg from your kid and encourage their kid to do the same.

We're definitely not going to try and raise sharks, but we're going to make sure that they stick up for themselves and others.

I'm not particularly an expert in this but I do have an interest.

I don't believe in the Tiger Mom or Eagle Dad approach but I do think the early development is crucial because it make things so much easier in the long run. Piquing their curiosity and getting them to like learning is as important as cultivating a child's aptitude.

Never heard the term Eagle Dad, it sounds awesome! TBH both sound pretty metal and would make amazing superhero comic. Tiger Mom and Eagle Dad, here to secure your future!

We have to be twice as smart and have twice the credentials to get even halfway to the bamboo ceiling. For that privilege, we'll still make less than our white peers and get passed over while training our future bosses.

You don't have to go full "tiger mom," but it's about making sure your kids have a chance at being as comfortable as possible when they're on their own by giving them as many tools as possible.

Here's an anecdote: We brought our toddler to a charity easter egg hunt and the organizers explicitly told parents to allow their kid to get ONE egg because there weren't enough eggs for everyone that showed up. There were full grown adults snatching eggs from in front of other kids and others were encouraging their kids to take more and more. It absolutely disgusted me and kids were snatching them up as my kid bent down to pick one up. I hustled her out of there and she had the saddest look in her eyes. My wife managed to get one of the volunteers to give our kid an egg, but it really shook me to the core. This wasn't in the 'hood either, but a well-to-do suburb.

Point is that no one will give a shit about your kid except you and we're planning on giving ours every advantage we can. You might have scruples, but that doesn't mean that the parent next to you will. Given the chance, they will more often than not snatch that proverbial egg from your kid and encourage their kid to do the same.

We're definitely not going to try and raise sharks, but we're going to make sure that they stick up for themselves and others.

Giving your kids as many tools as possible to succeed sounds good to me. My own parents missed the Tiger/Eagle Asian wave of parenting so I just have no personal connection with that stereotype. And I've never truly experienced the overt type of discrimination that others have faced and that my future children may potentially face. Really, my idea of parenting comes from 80s sitcoms but I don't know if the Danny Tanner's and Carl Winslow's of the world cut it today.

I went and stayed for about 5 hours. Got stuck in the storm though.

I didn't see anyone wearing any neonazi or kkk shirts....guess I went at a good time. Crowd was really diverse.

5 hours and during the storm? Damn son lol. Minnesota folks give no fucks about the weather :p

Good that you didn't see any shit like that. Folks like them don't need to be out and about at a place/event like the State Fair. I do agree with you about the diversity. That's one of the reasons why I Iove going to the State Fair, and it's because it shows how diverse MN can be sometimes.

Preach.

cdyhybrid

👏👏👏👏

The whole American Dream, bootstraps = success bullshit is a lie. If we don't make it happen for ourselves it won't happen.

StMeph

👏👏👏👏

The whole American Dream, bootstraps = success bullshit is a lie. If we don't make it happen for ourselves it won't happen.

There are actually studies about this, especially for minority kids. The more minorities believe in meritocracy and that bootstraps lead to success, the worse they fare, because they begin to internalize the challenges and issues they face as some intrinsic shortcoming. Basically that they aren't good enough or that the problem is solely theirs, rather than some combination with external factors beyond their control.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/07/internalizing-the-myth-of-meritocracy/535035/

SRG01

There are actually studies about this, especially for minority kids. The more minorities believe in meritocracy and that bootstraps lead to success, the worse they fare, because they begin to internalize the challenges and issues they face as some intrinsic shortcoming. Basically that they aren't good enough or that the problem is solely theirs, rather than some combination with external factors beyond their control.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/07/internalizing-the-myth-of-meritocracy/535035/

Yup, this is me right here.

It took me a long time to accept that I had the skills required, but was held back or ignored for bamboo ceiling reasons.

Tommy Le Was Shot Twice In the Back, Autopsy Shows

An autopsy report released by Tommy Le’s family Thursday shows that the 20-year-old was shot by a King County Sheriff’s deputy twice in the back and a third time in the back of his hand.

Jeffery Campiche, a lawyer for the Le family, says the autopsy results prove the Sheriff’s Office account of Le’s fatal confrontation with Deputy Cesar Molina in June is false. Specifically, the Sheriff’s Office has said that Le was shot as he approached deputies with an object in his hand and refused to follow orders to stop and drop what he was holding.

zeemumu

I don't know what's more fucked about that article

the fact that he shot the kid in the back twice, and claimed he was coming towards him with a weapon, and then he doesn't get fired

or the fact that after the first fact, he went for mental help, gets released, and then hits a pedestrian in his squad car, gets put on leave and still gets his job back

There's a threshold where you can't really do "which is worse" because they're all maxed out on being fucked up

Izuna

Banned

I did the opposite. I'm going California instead of Tokyo.

My friend's Mum is okay with me going over the holidays because "I will add some colour[ to them]."

First time visiting, got my VWP sorted etc.

That being said, if I land in San Jose****, what should I be doing?

Itinerary has Vegas and Redwood forests (I have been fanticing for a while for this one. Apparently I don't need to go to WA for it).

Is SanFran worth visiting?

---

52XfgsC.jpg

So I forgot to wear gloves when I was making hot sauce..... Rip my left hand 🌶️🌶️🌶️

We have a few plastic bags full of chili peppers and some habaneros..... Decided to try and make hot sauce and I paid for it. Letting it sit for a couple of days before I indulge in my creations.

Moonkid

So I forgot to wear gloves when I was making hot sauce..... Rip my left hand 🌶️🌶️🌶️

We have a few plastic bags full of chili peppers and some habaneros..... Decided to try and make hot sauce and I paid for it. Letting it sit for a couple of days before I indulge in my creations.
Reminds me of the time I rubbed my eyes after handling some chillis LOL.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ness-real-cost-hollywood-whitewashing-1041185

Where the "whitewashing" label is misapplied is when a character is changed from an ethnicity in the source material to another to accommodate a specific actor. This is not the same as casting someone of one race to play a character of another. Much has been made of Scarlett Johansson's starring role in Ghost in the Shell, whose character in the original Japanese anime was, of course, Japanese; and Tilda Swinton being cast in Doctor Strange as the Ancient One, a character who was Tibetan in the comic. Neither of these examples was evidence of the distasteful racism of white actors playing a race other than their own, but rather the common business choice of adapting a property for a wider audience. The Ghost in the Shell filmmakers changed the location from Japan to a nonspecific future world, with the intent of making the premise more accessible to a global audience. In moving the location from Japan, the film didn't need its heroine to be any specific ethnicity (not to mention that she was a robot); what she did have to be was a big star capable of justifying a huge budget, and Johansson is that.

lmao

Damn, 2017 not even finished and they're already working on revisionism.
I had glasses too LOL. Young me won a darwin award that night.

Well.... We both learned: to not touch hot peppers without gloves!

I'm usually very good with not touching anything on my face when handling peppers, but yesterday...... Was my first time that hot peppers made my left hand burn! It also doesn't help that to make hot sauce, well, you are going to need to COOK them! So I, being the dumbass that I am, poured the boiling hot peppers into my blender and a few moments later: WHY IS MY LEFT HAND BURNING?!?!!!

Never again.

I'm glad that more and more Asian dudes are getting into sports (Murican Football and Basketball). Goes to show that we aren't just the scrawny geeky dudes (well..... Lin plays alot of LoL so.....). Are there any Asians in Hockey per chance? I know that there are tons(?) of Asian dudes in Baseball, correct?

Anecdotal, but man do Hmong folks love football and basketball lol. From flag to tackle football to street ball. They love it.

Top Bottom