• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Junichi Masuda talks about the future for Pokémon on Nintendo Switch

Neoxon

I'd like to see them do something like Dragon Quest XI, make two versions with one being focused on the people who want a scaled back handheld version, and one for those who want a real console experience style of game. This could also work as the Red/Blue, X/Y, or Sun/Moon split for the game.

All we are going to get is a game that is marginally better then the 3DS games if it's not just a 3DS game to begin with.
It won't be a 3DS game. Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon are probably the last mainline Pokémon games that the 3DS will get.

JoeM86

"so I hope people don’t get their expectations up too high"

Way ahead of you Gamefreak. I'm already expecting shitty performance, and the same bullshit online services that have plagued the Pokemon games since Diamond/Pearl.

You what?

I'll give you Sun & Moon, but the Generation VI online functionality and services are the best that have ever existed on a Nintendo platform

Real Hero

This going to be so disappointing for many people. Pokemon has never been a looker and I bet his one still looks like a handheld game

Marcel

I don't expect much. Basically HD Sun and Moon.

But I honestly don't see the reason why a series that makes as much money as Pokémon does couldn't evolve in a really dynamic and interesting way. What is it about Pokémon that makes it resistant to widespread change?

Game Freak is incompetent at actual development. Their games look ugly and have frame rate and performance problems despite not actually being demanding games. The online services are slow and arcane (same with most Nintendo games). Should I keep going?

Maxinas

I'd like to see them do something like Dragon Quest XI, make two versions with one being focused on the people who want a scaled back handheld version, and one for those who want a real console experience style of game. This could also work as the Red/Blue, X/Y, or Sun/Moon split for the game.

All we are going to get is a game that is marginally better then the 3DS games if it's not just a 3DS game to begin with.

No, the DS line of systems have held back the Pokemon series long enough. It's time for Gamefreak to go big or fuck off.

JoeM86

Game Freak is incompetent at actual development.

No they're not. Stop with that insane crap.

Even you was dissapointed by that? That kinda shocks me tbh:p

I just think they could have done a better job differentiating the model from Midday Form's.

This is going to be the first instance of a new Pokémon since 2010 that is better explained and shown through the anime.

Falchion

Probably a healthy mix between playing on my balcony when the weather is nice and hooked up to the TV all other times.

Anth0ny

Considering people are expecting Pokémon of the Wild and not Sun & Moon but maybe a bit more open and with better graphics means a lot of people are going to get disappointed.

this is so true lol

People are gonna be disappointed. Expect Link Between Worlds, not Breath of the Wild.

ReaperXL7

It won't be a 3DS game. Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon are probably the last mainline Pokémon games that the 3DS will get.

Possibly, but that doesn't mean that it won't be a game that the 3DS could run. I'd love for them to prove me wrong but I'm not holding my breath.

brad-t

It says everything about the stagnancy of Game Freak's vision for the franchise that they need to warn people to keep their expectations low. People should expect some ambition from one of the world's most popular franchises, especially one with such huge creative potential. That doesn't mean they need to overhaul the battle system or completely change every aspect of the formula, but there is a ton of room for improvement in the core exploration loop alone.

JoeM86

It says everything about the stagnancy of Game Freak's vision for the franchise that they need to warn people to keep their expectations low. People should expect some ambition from one of the world's most popular franchises, especially one with such huge creative potential. That doesn't mean they need to overhaul the battle system or completely change every aspect of the formula, but there is a ton of room for improvement in the core exploration loop alone.

Stagnancy of their vision after they just released a game that removed so many of the tropes and expectations?

Mr-Joker

Banned
so I hope people don’t get their expectations up too high,” Masuda admitted.

Oh don't worry Masuda, I learnt that the hard way after the disappointment that was Pokémon X and Y.

Either way I wonder how they are going to handle save data as it will be a pain having to trade Pokémon by yourself if the file are locked onto the Switch.

Blobbers

We live in a gen where fatigue set on a lot of genres and game series and a select few revolutionary games showed us the future of gaming. Big game series like God of War are completely changing their formula because the devs have seen that they can't have their last gen cake and eat it today. The reviewers, the gamers, everyone wants to see that next step in their favorite game series. Dragon Quest XI apparently features every other Dragon Quest game in some way. Devs are eager to utilize these new consoles.

What's next for Pokemon? Surely not the same formula only upscaled. If I wanted that, I'd play Pokemon White 2 on desmume

HT4NAEl.png

Maxinas

You what?

I'll give you Sun & Moon, but the Generation VI online functionality and services are the best that have ever existed on a Nintendo platform

I should have specifically mentioned the GTS/trading/wondertrade shit. They need to overhaul it completely. The battling part of online, is fine, but could be better tbh. If anything, they need to increase their measures of taking care of cheaters who inject pokemon, because whatever they did in Sun/Moon, didn't work at all.

Considering people are expecting Pokémon of the Wild and not Sun & Moon but maybe a bit more open and with better graphics means a lot of people are going to get disappointed.

Which I don't even understand. Ever since BOTW dropped, everybody wants it's formula mashed with every franchise under the sun. How many of these changes would actually work with random battles? I'm sure we'll get to see wild Pokemon instead of random battles someday soon, but that's not happening on the first Switch entry. I'll just be happy to catch Pokemon on the big screen.

This interview should also out to rest any ideas that what GF is working on is not a Pokemon game in the traditional sense. Seemed trivial to me when so many people were vaulting mental hurdles trying to figure out what was meant by "core" Pokemon game. Should also indirectly kill the notion that Nintendo doesn't plan on pushing a single system once the 3DS dies. Pokemon would be developed for the new handheld if Nintendo was planning on releasing one.

We live in a gen where fatigue set on a lot of genres and game series and a select few revolutionary games showed us the future of gaming. Big game series like God of War are completely changing their formula because the devs have seen that they can't have their last gen cake and eat it today. The reviewers, the gamers, everyone wants to see that next step in their favorite game series. Dragon Quest XI apparently features every other Dragon Quest game in some way. Devs are eager to utilize these new consoles.

What's next for Pokemon? Surely not the same formula only upscaled. If I wanted that, I'd play Pokemon White 2 on desmume

HT4NAEl.png

There are absolutely ways to improve, advance, and evolve Pokemon without jettisoning the current formula out the window. I'm not even going to entertain the Open World 3D Fighting Action Adventure MMO dreams that people envision as a replacement.

Game Freak is incompetent at actual development. Their games look ugly and have frame rate and performance problems despite not actually being demanding games. The online services are slow and arcane (same with most Nintendo games). Should I keep going?

Game Freak has cultivated and maintained a fad for twenty years, while all the other companies who've tried to imitate their products with their prettier games, improved framerate, better performances are gone or irrelevant. Do you also have a laundry list of issues those companies had that made them failures?

Real Hero

Really they should start with 'ok we keep the turn based battle the same' and everything about how Pokemon breeding and training works etc but from there be completely ambition about the structure, story, scope, online and yes graphics. There's no way they will for the firsts switch game though

Nonsense the lot of it.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

HT4NAEl.png

People talking like this is exactly why Masuda said what he did, chill, seriously.

Neoxon

HT4NAEl.png
Sun/Moon already did quite a bit to shake up the Pokémon formula.

This going to be so disappointing for many people. Pokemon has never been a looker and I bet his one still looks like a handheld game

Are the graphical expectations really that high for Pokémon? I personally think that the anime is the baseline for how Pokémon "should" look. They could clean up Sun/Moon in HD and it would look pretty darn close to that. I think that's the way to go rather than chasing a "realistic" looking Pokémon game.

Marcel

Game Freak has cultivated and maintained a 20-year-old fad, while all the other companies who've tried to imitate their products with their prettier games, improved framerate, better performances are gone or irrelevant. Do you also have a laundry list of issues those companies had that made them failures?

Game Freak having their fans by the gonads says more about the power of the concept and art design strength of Pokemon as a franchise/brand rather than the implementation of those things in the final product. The fans are willing to make compromises and excuses because of the former, which is understandable but doesn't change their actual weaknesses as a developer.

Making the pokemon game everyone dreams of would cost a small fortune. The IP is underutilized though. Those HD pokemon models alone could make for a lot of fun as hell spinoffs if they wanted to do it.

LordKano

Making the pokemon game everyone dreams of would cost a small fortune. The IP is underutilized though. Those HD pokemon models alone could make for a lot of fun as hell spinoffs if they wanted to do it.

They already said they're planning spinoffs. Pokkén is coming next month, we'll likely get Mystery Dungeon down the line too.

NoKisum

Why would their first Switch Pokémon games be remakes?

Garner interest by both new and old fans with a title that would require minimal effort and gives the main team time to get comfortable with new hardware and engines.

Plus, we get plenty of posts about how the games "needs to only include the original 150". This is their game.

Marcel

Garner interest by both new and old fans with a title that would require minimal effort and gives the main team time to get comfortable with new hardware and engines.

Plus, we get plenty of posts about how the games "needs to only include the original 150". This is their game.

Genwunners don't deserve anything good. Of all the Pokemon fan subgroups they are probably the most irritating to speak to about anything related to the series.

brad-t

People talking like this is exactly why Masuda said what he did, chill, seriously.

Why should Game Freak be held to such lenient standards compared to other developers?

Stagnancy of their vision after they just released a game that removed so many of the tropes and expectations?

I don't disagree that Sun and Moon took steps forward, but there's still a long way to go both in terms of 1) maintaining QOL and feature improvements across new series entries and 2) improving the freedom of exploration in the world.

This is also a bit personal to me, obviously, but Pokémon had such a monumental impact on me as a child and teenager due to the unique feeling they gave of being alone on adventure in this peaceful yet mysterious world, and largely being left to your own devices while you do it. This is baked into the series' premise to start with: kids can leave home alone at twelve years old to begin their "Pokémon adventure."

For a series centered around capturing, interacting and battling with creatures, the lack of evolution in how you explore that world, the types of wilderness you can encounter, the depth of the towns and cities, and the incessant increase in tutorials, cutscenes and tacked-on side functionality have all served to keep the series' feeling bound by its Game Boy origins in structure while making only modest steps forward in presentation.

And again, Sun and Moon were still a step forward. And these comments are obviously very personal to me, and shouldn't be taken as a mandate for where the series should go or whatever. But if nothing else, it's fair to expect something bolder, as we would from pretty much any studio with such a historically beloved and commercially lucrative property under its care. It doesn't need to be like Breath of the Wild, but it wouldn't hurt for them to be a little inspired by that spirit of reinvention.

Game Freak having their fans by the gonads says more about the power of the concept and art design strength of Pokemon as a franchise/brand rather than the implementation of those things in the final product. The fans are willing to make compromises and excuses because of the former, which is understandable but doesn't change their actual weaknesses as a developer.

Ah, pretty creature art is the reason the games have sold millions upon millions for twenty years. Never heard of a game as hobbled as you make it out to be sell so much for so long on its visuals alone but I suppose one learns something new everyday.

Neoxon

Expectations:

Honestly doesn't look bad. Pokemon's art style upscales well. And the Switch game will look better than that, I'm sure.
They'd still have to update the textures. But otherwise, that's a pretty good starting point for the Switch games.

I'd be happy if Pokemon looked similar to Dragon Quest 11 PS4. That's totally doable. Not expecting gamefreak to do it though.

Aleh

I feel bad for Masuda and Game Freak in general. They make amazing games and always try new things but they always get shat on no matter what, to the point he has to explicitly tell people not to have crazy expectations.

Zetta

Meanwhile I'm over here salivating at the thought of being able to play the same exact games on a TV and take them with me when I'm not home. I really hope that's what we end up with tbh.

This is exactly what I want too lol, just being able to play a pokemon game on the tv is good enough for me.

LordKano

Lol
That kind of request is so pathetic.

Marcel

Ah, pretty creature art is the reason the games have sold millions upon millions for twenty years. Never heard of a game as hobbled as you make it out to be sell so much for so long on its visuals alone but I suppose one learns something new everyday.

Pokemon has many timeless, internationally known characters and creatures so yeah it is actually important to have strong creature design? Is this really the pedantry sword you want to fall upon?

Expectations:

Honestly doesn't look bad. Pokemon's art style upscales well. And the Switch game will look better than that, I'm sure.

Yeah that's basically what I'm expecting too. I doubt they're going to radically change the formula, just hopefully improve the visuals by a good amount. The one thing I wish they could add is more contextual battle animations (like, Pokemon actually physically attacking each other and reacting appropriately depending on the attacking Pokemon's size, shape, stats, etc.) but I understand that's kinda difficult with the ridiculous amount of Pokemon there are now.

Really I'm just hoping for a 720p, well textured Sun and Moon art style game.

Top Bottom