• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: The United States has meddled in 81 elections in 47 countries

Oersted

Hopefully not only that, hopefully this will reach people who in their mind still think America is the saviour and almighty, that America only cares for justice and right in the world, and for the rest of us, who are not Americans, well we shouldn't care and just watch from afar and laugh.

America, as the rest of the world, should strife for justice and right. Russia meddling in the US-elections, just like any other country meddling with another country's democracy is not justice or right.

I'll take your answer as a no

Same.

E-Cat

One of the countries on the list is Iran where, in 1953, the CIA toppled Iran's democratically elected government, because the leader Mohammad Mosaddegh wanted to stop having the west jack their oil.

"Meddling" is a rather gentler term than what I'd use to describe a coup d'état .

Yeah, this is why I'm not super pissed at Russia. If they have the means and want to piss us off, that's their perogative. But don't think there won't be retaliation.

The real issue is the treasonous Americans.

Xe4

Banned
The threshold is probably far, far higher.

No, the threshold is far, far lower. It includes simply endorsing one candidate. The maximum dictated by the bounds of the study is probably about on par with what Russia did, which is spreading damaging information and align itself with one party/candidate with the express purpose of ensuring the other has the smallest chance of success possible. The maximum outside the bounds of this study are higher, so you are correct there.

One of the countries on the list is Iran where, in 1953, the CIA toppled Iran's democratically elected government, because the leader Mohammad Mosaddegh wanted to stop having the west jack their oil.

"Meddling" is a rather gentler term than what I'd use to describe a coup d'état .
Again, the 1953 Iran coup was not included in the list. Other electoral meddling in Iran was. See a page or two back where I and others state this.

Moff

Our past actions, while questionable and even reprehensible, have no bearing on the current crisis
Nothing could be further from the truth. The illegal wars the US have fought in the last 15 years in the middle east are getting more revelant every day and it's consequences are by far the most important factors in global politics. They will define this century.

It's very good CNN brought the crimes and intentions of the biggest global player into the light.

America, as the rest of the world, should strife for justice and right. Russia meddling in the US-elections, just like any other country meddling with another country's democracy is not justice or right.

Same.

Didnt hear a lot of this talk of Justice and Righteousness till Russia did it to you.

Anticol

Banned
Umm ok. Minorities in America are going to suffer more with Trump than without

Again it's not funny and it's not good for the world but ok just laugh I guess.

There are a ton of things that America did that were not good for the world, but yet you tried your best to hide it and convince the world that your intentions were good, why now it is important when it happened to you? And to have the audacity to compare a bad president to the atrocities America enabled is laughable by itself.

Xe4

Banned
Nothing could be further from the truth. The illegal wars the US have fought in the last 15 years in the middle east are getting more revelant every day and it's consequences are by far the most important factors in global politics. They will define this century.

It's very good CNN brought the crimes and intentions of the biggest global player into the light.

Please do explain the connection between the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and the Russian interference in the US election. I'm pretty interested, honest.

There are a ton of things that America did that were not good for the world, but yet you tried your best to hide it and convince the world that your intentions were good, why now it is important when it happened to you? And to have the audacity to compare a bad president to the atrocities America enabled is laughable by itself.

Because

(A) This stuff has been going on before any of us has been born and

(B) The average individual on a video game forum has little to no control over what their government does behind the scenes.

You seem to be taking your hatred of what the US government has done to your country on the people rather then the government body. I won't tell you you need to simmer down, you have every right to be upset, but you should direct those emotions to people that have actually wrong you rather then the people who have to suffer with the byproducts of something they had nothing to do with.

I'm Canadian bro

I protested against Bush when he'd come here. I protested against the war on Iraq

I'm just also not going to get giddy when Putin and Russia are helping White Nationalists take power.

Moff

Please do explain the connection between the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and the Russian interference in the US election. I'm pretty interested, honest.
Are you seriously asking about the connection between geopolitics, where Russia is one of very few rivals of the US, and Russias interference in the US election. Did you think Putin did this just for laughs?

Again, the 1953 Iran coup was not included in the list. Other electoral meddling in Iran was. See a page or two back where I and others state this.

I only see this post from you

Assassinations are not what was being counted. This involved nonviolent interventions only.

But the paper itself has this.

A partisan electoral intervention is defined in PEIG as a situation in which one or more sovereign countries intentionally undertakes specific actions to influence an upcoming elec- tion in another sovereign country in an overt or covert manner which they believe will favor or hurt one of the sides contesting that election and which incurs, or may incur, significant costs to the intervener(s) or the intervened country. This definition was chosen in order to capture, as closely as possible, the phenomenon commonly referred to when partisan elec- toral interventions are publicly discussed, proposed and/or denounced.
In order to be coded as an electoral intervention, the acts done by the intervener7 required an affirmative answer to two questions: (1) was the act intentionally done in order to help or hurt one of the sides contesting the election for the executive; and (2) did the act clearly carry significant costs that were either (a) immediate (cost of subsidizing the preferred candidate’s campaign/a covert intervention) and/or (b) longer-term/potential (loss of prestige/credibility if a public intervention fails and/or long-term damage to the relations once act is done or exposed).8 Each case found to fit to these criteria was then coded as to other relevant aspects (covert/overt,9 intervener, etc.).

I don't see anything in this which states that only nonviolent interventions were counted, it seems to just explicitly allow for both violent and nonviolent interventions to be catalogued.

Apathy

And when the hasn't worked the US had ousted (whether toppled or killed) democratically elected leaders of countries and imposed right wing dictatorships and military juntas. This isn't new news to anyone. In fact because of US interference millions of innocent people have died, even more have had to live through horrible atrocities, and many will never get a chance to have peace because their countries have forever been irreversibly hurt by US intervention. Any American citizen that believes in the crackpot idea that the US stands as the bastion and protector of liberty should be ashamed at what their country has done around the world over the years.

I've lost family and my family have lost friends due to the illegal government the US set up and backed in my country and it's something I will never forget and never forgive from the US government, no matter who is in power.

8ubGFLt.gif

US is honestly pretty much the ultimate evil empire

We've orchestrated a few genocides here and there, but what's a little meddling between nation states?

Haunted

Fascinating to watch the myth of the USA as "the good guys" unravel like this.

I mean, the rest of the world already knew, but it's really interesting to see
Americans themselves realise this (Thanks Trump).

Nipo

Fascinating to watch the myth of the USA as "the good guys" unravel like this.

I mean, the rest of the world already knew, but it's really interesting to see
Americans themselves realise this (Thanks Trump).

'The strong do what they want while the weak suffer what they must' has been a part of international relations for around 4000 years. America won't be the last to exemplify it.

TarNaru33

Banned
We've orchestrated a few genocides here and there, but what's a little meddling between nation states?

Hope you are talking about the Native American genocide...

Orchestrated means having a heavy influence on the planning. Besides that one, you lost me on a "few genocides here and there".

EVOL 100%

I mean, obviously Trump being in power is a net negative for every goddamn country in the world, fuck that orange cheeto motherfucker and fuck Russia for interfering.

But it can also be incredibly frustrating to read this forum on the US's foreign policies. This is a fairly liberal leaning forum and so many people still cling to the idea that America is some kind of shining bastion for international justice.

Lol, no.

I mean America has undermined and done fucked up stuff against it's own people, are people really naive enough to think it wouldn't do the same to other countries in various ways to include messing with their elections lol?

Faiz

Yeah, this is why I'm not super pissed at Russia. If they have the means and want to piss us off, that's their perogative. But don't think there won't be retaliation.

The real issue is the treasonous Americans.

Pretty much. The abnormality isn't that Russia tried, its that US citizens embraced it at best, and colluded at worst, for their own benefit.

America and its Western allies like to think of themselves as the cool rebels, Luke Skywalker and Han Solo, saving the world.

But you know who you really are.

00317a77c37b5f2cf03f0f82949c08cb.jpg

San Marino and Iceland? CIA must get desperate when it has nothing else to do. Hell, most people at the CIA probably don't even know what or where a San Marino is (and I don't really blame them).

Would love a collection of dates on all these, as well as an indicator as to whether we successfully influenced an outcome, failed, or triggered a massive backlash.

M3d10n

It is known. They've been doing it for decades, especially in South America. Anyone who doesn't believe this is kidding themselves and needs to read a book or two.
You don't even need a book for many of those. Many are detailed clearly in declassified CIA documents available on US government websites.

RangerX

Banned
Yeah this is common knowledge to anyone with any interest in international affairs. I always find it funny that Russia is seen as such a threat when the US has been a far FAR more destabilising force in the world in the last fifteen years.

Moff

I am surpised to not see Italy on the list. I thought there were at least 2 famous examples. But maybe these count as Nato meddling.

Yeah this is common knowledge to anyone with any interest in international affairs. I always find it funny that Russia is seen as such a threat when the US has been a far FAR more destabilising force in the world in the last fifteen years.

Fifteen? More like fifty, and that's low balling it.

Dali

The U.S.'s policy has always been there's leaders and there's followers but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower.

Nothing new. Not sure about the point trying to be made here. We still aren't going to accept another nation interfering with our elections that isn't Israel.

Nerazar

This is kind of a non-sense argument at some point. Should we have a list-war between the US, the Soviet Union and Russia? I suppose that the SU and its successor state will win that battle hands-down.

But where would that get us today? Does it make Russia's meddling better or worse? Or should every country start doing the same, because the US and Russia do it? What's the conclusive argument here?

Nerazar

Yep.

This is where I agree with libertarians. Way too much foreign meddling. It’s not like our country is not in tatters—education, infrastructure, so on.

I am very grateful that the US stood up to Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union, though. The world would be a very different place without that intervention or NATO. Europe would probably be a devastated communist mess by now just like so many ex-USSR states.

This is kind of a non-sense argument at some point. Should we have a list-war between the US, the Soviet Union and Russia? I suppose that the SU and its successor state will win that battle hands-down.

But where would that get us today? Does it make Russia's meddling better or worse? Or should every country start doing the same, because the US and Russia do it? What's the conclusive argument here?

reporting doesnt require a conclusive argument.

Top Bottom