• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

not much so long as the notebook has decent cooling (my 1060 notebook has 2 big fans and 3 radiators) ie isnt stupidly thin for no reason

I have an alienware 13 R3 which is a 13 inch laptop with 7700HQ and GTX 1060. It's technically the smallest laptop screen with a GTX 1060, but it's actually not the smallest in term of volume. It also weighs a lot. To get to your question, the laptop GPU runs with full turbo boost enabled. It has never throttled and I have played tons of games on it sometimes hours on end. Max temp I have seen is on a stress test and I got 80c. Which is only worse than a reference GTX 1060 6GB by 4C. The problem was actually on the CPU side for me. It just ran hot outside the box. hitting 90c at full load. Thermal paste replacement with Artic Silver 5 made things much worse. I opened it up to see what's going and noticed that the thermal paste was too thick for the low pressure heat sink to spread using the pea method. So I used MX4 and it seems to be on par with the GPU now. In short, Nvidia just did some kind of voodoo for their pascal series.

Sutanreyu

Cheapest laptop I can find with an Nvidia 10 series, is the Inspiron 15 7000, and that's $4,647 with a 1050. There's no way to land a 1060 within your budget, at least not buying it in Brazil.

What are your options, as far as importing? Are there heavy taxes?

I'd try an older driver, just for the process of elimination, and always use the clean install option under custom installation.

Only having crashes in this one game complicates the troubleshooting. Definitely check eventvwr.msc, I'd like to know exactly what errors are shown there.

Just for the info, what mode are you running? Turbo, Sport, etc?

Really? This one? http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop

It'd probably be cheaper to buy someone a round-trip flight to get it to you, haha. I'd totally be willing!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The problem was actually on the CPU side for me. It just ran hot outside the box. hitting 90c at full load. Thermal paste replacement with Artic Silver 5 made things much worse. I opened it up to see what's going and noticed that the thermal paste was too thick for the low pressure heat sink to spread using the pea method. So I used MX4 and it seems to be on par with the GPU now. In short, Nvidia just did some kind of voodoo for their pascal series.

Had the same problem with my GT73VR. The CPU has been hitting 90C and higher for a month, but I was just too lazy to open it up.

Finally I did it yesterday. Took off the heatsink and the stock factory paste was terrible. It was all around the CPU die, but basically none was left on it. I repasted with Gelid GC Extreme, and now I'm only hitting 68C with the 6820HK overclocked to 4Ghz.

Gifts sent to Brazil above $100.00 are taxed too.
My best bet would be asking someone travelling to bring me one inside their luggage.

Ouch.

Really? This one? http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop

It'd probably be cheaper to buy someone a round-trip flight to get it to you, haha. I'd totally be willing!

Yeah it's bad.

Brazil and Australia, two places you do not want to buy a laptop.

Acageron

Maximum budget: ~$2100
Max size: ~15" screen size, Looking for something portable and relatively lightweight I can travel with.
Planned usage: playing recent games at least 1080p on high or better. video editing
Other: Decent battery life. at least w/ 256 GB SSD.

Originally, I intended to buy a surface book i7 but with that price tag, I think I can do better performance wise albeit sacrificing on portability. After researching specs, I think I'd want something with at least a 1070?

kami_sama

Is un under-volt of 110mV safe on a 7700HQ?
Temperatures have dropped almost 10 Celsius after doing it, and I want to keep it that way.

Does xtu save the under-volt to the bios? Do I need to have it running all the time or start it with windows?

Izuna

Banned
Is un under-volt of 110mV safe on a 7700HQ?
Temperatures have dropped almost 10 Celsius after doing it, and I want to keep it that way.

Does xtu save the under-volt to the bios? Do I need to have it running all the time or start it with windows?

Stress your CPU with Prime95 for an hour. If it doesn't report errors or switch off, you're fine.

I for -140mv on the 6700HQ

Best decision ever.

Also, use um... I forget the name but there's a program you can make start up with Task Scheduler. I got it running bur I'm afk atm

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-...lid-state-drive-black/5872507.p?skuId=5872507

Thinking about picking this up tomorrow. It's like 50 bucks less at Best Buy than it would be from dell which seems weird? Are there any complaints people have about this model? I saw the TN panel in person last week and I knew I couldn't deal with how shitty it was, then they put this ips version with the 1050 ti in stock this week lol. Came down to this and the Acer at the same price but really prefer the look of this Dell.

MilkBeard

Looks like my choice of laptop will be the Lenovo Legion Y520 when I finally am ready to plop down the cash this year to get one. I would have preferred the Dell with the IPS panel but it's hard to come by in my country of residence. However, Lenovo provides service here, which is why I can find the model I want with the right price.

One of the few instances where I wish I was back in the States so that I could take advantage of the wealth of options. Still, it's not too bad and it looks to be a pretty good computer and will pull the trigger later, unless a better deal comes up for another model (maybe the stores will stock the IPS version of the Dell in a few months, which would be sweet).

Ingeniero

Hello.
I'm on the gaming laptop market again.

-Budget: $1000-$1100
-Use: Gaming primarily, Overwatch, Diablo, Starcraft and whatever catches my interest at the time. I don't need 4k or super ultra settings, good framerate at decent resolution (1080p prefered) and mid/high settings is OK.
-Screen: I want a 17" but I could settle with 15.6".
- I don't care if it's heavy.
- SSD would be nice.
- At least 8GB of RAM.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Kromis1

Hello.
I'm on the gaming laptop market again.

-Budget: $1000-$1100
-Use: Gaming primarily, Overwatch, Diablo, Starcraft and whatever catches my interest at the time. I don't need 4k or super ultra settings, good framerate at decent resolution (1080p prefered) and mid/high settings is OK.
-Screen: I want a 17" but I could settle with 15.6".
- I don't care if it's heavy.
- SSD would be nice.
- At least 8GB of RAM.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Someone on the last page mentioned the Acer Predator Helios 300 that recently came out. Not a ton of reviews out yet (from reputable sites or otherwise).

Mozendo

No, I don't see any other 6GB VRAM 1060s in that price range.

I'm not a fan of the aesthetics, but the price is nice.
Same, I think I'll put some kind of cover/skin to hide the gamery-ness.

Looks like a good deal but there would definitely be some skimping in some parts to get to that price.
Maybe it build quality but first impressions seemed that it was

Edit: whoops someone alreayd replied to the user

dawgparty

Looking for a new laptop! Appreciate any help.

-Budget: $500-$800
-Use: Mostly for programming and regular productivity nonsense, but I want to be able to game on it. I won't be trying to run Battlefield One but I will want to be able to play, say, TF2. And fighting games.
-Screen: 15+
-SSD preferred

I was going to buy this Inspiron but after reading about how shitty the TN screen is I'm kind of backing off.

Also noticed Lenovo is having a sale, if any of those seem like they'd fit the bill.

Izuna

Banned
To play Street Fighter V, if that's what you wanted, you'd need a 950m or better. 940m barely runs it. In which case, you'd be able to play BF1 on low.

dawgparty

To play Street Fighter V, if that's what you wanted, you'd need a 950m or better. 940m barely runs it. In which case, you'd be able to play BF1 on low.

I guess I should have clarified that I only would use it for older fighting games, mostly 2D
anime shit

Izuna

Banned
I guess I should have clarified that I only would use it for older fighting games, mostly 2D
anime shit

Oh, then if I were you, get something with an i5 in it and focus on build quality. Anything Haswell or later will run those games fine and a handful of 7th gen stuff.

A good keyboard is essential for productivity imo.

geckoomlet

Neo Member

-Use: Mostly for programming and regular productivity nonsense, but I want to be able to game on it. I won't be trying to run Battlefield One but I will want to be able to play, say, TF2. And fighting games.
-SSD preferred

I was going to buy this Inspiron but after reading about how shitty the TN screen is I'm kind of backing off.

Also noticed Lenovo is having a sale, if any of those seem like they'd fit the bill.

You could probably get a GTX 1060 for $50-$150 more

-SSD preferred

Dave 2D (youtuber) mentioned they started replacing the tns in these with Ips in the newer shipped units. But since it's from Best Buy...idk

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Dave 2D (youtuber) mentioned they started replacing the tns in these with Ips in the newer shipped units. But since it's from Best Buy...idk

They have them now. The one on sale this week for 699 is the TN, but they have a ips with 1050 for 799 and one with the 1050 ti for 899. 799 one though comes with a 1 tb 5400 rpm hd so no thanks for me personally. Would guess the tn one is on sale because they're just going to replace them permanently with the new sku they have but dunno it's Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-in...-1tb-hard-drive-black/5868200.p?skuId=5868200

Just noticed it looks different than the regular version? Seems way more barebones and less gamer in regards to accents and hinge

They have them now. The one on sale this week for 699 is the TN, but they have a ips with 1050 for 799 and one with the 1050 ti for 899. 799 one though comes with a 1 tb 5400 rpm hd so no thanks for me personally. Would guess the tn one is on sale because they're just going to replace them permanently with the new sku they have but dunno it's Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-in...-1tb-hard-drive-black/5868200.p?skuId=5868200

Just noticed it looks different than the regular version? Seems way more barebones and less gamer in regards to accents and hinge

The 1050 and 1050ti to this point haven't been as attractive as they could be. Don't get me wrong, if we're going by MSRPs, they're a terrific value. Despite this, there are 1060 models (albeit 3gb ones--performance within 5-10% on most games vs the 6gb) that have been sub 1k for months now. I bought this back in January, and back then, it was only a $150 upgrade or so over a Inspiron 7559 with a 960m!...the dell was a much better LAPTOP though. The MSI has a good keyboard and graphics card for the money but the display is meh and it has serious issues. It's unreliable and hangs on a lot of tasks, despite all the specs (RAM, CPU, hard drive) being equivalent to, or significantly better than, the Dell.

If those prices get a smidge cheaper, I would take the 1050ti equipped Dell all day.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834154446

madmook

I got the Dell Inspiron 7567 with 1050 Ti and 1080p IPS screen recently (direct from Dell), and overall I'm very pleased. I wouldn't have any major gripes about recommending this model to anyone. I paid $810 because Dell had a 10% off coupon code when I ordered, so it was $900 base price and then the coupon code knocked off $90, which definitely helped push me over the edge on placing the order.

The one medium level gripe I have is that the IPS screen does not have a good default gamma level. It's too high, resulting in what appears at first glance to be a very nice contrast-y image, but I soon realized that it was crushing black levels a lot. I just use Windows' built-in Display Color Calibration to help fix this.

Really appreciate the removable bottom panel that gives easy access to the upgradeable components. I swapped the original 8GB single RAM stick for 2x8GB dual channel, replaced the 1x1 Intel AC 3165 wifi card with a 2x2 Intel 8265 card, swapped for a larger 512GB M.2 SATA SSD that I had and did a clean install of Windows 10 Creators Update (factory install was v1607, Anniversary Update).

any of you that have the Alienware 13 r3 with the OLED screen. still like it? do i need to worry about it's longevity? as in burn in or other issues associated with that type of screen?

K.Jack

Max size: ~15" screen size, Looking for something portable and relatively lightweight I can travel with.
Planned usage: playing recent games at least 1080p on high or better. video editing

Originally, I intended to buy a surface book i7 but with that price tag, I think I can do better performance wise albeit sacrificing on portability. After researching specs, I think I'd want something with at least a 1070?

Check this out.

If I get a laptop that only has an SSD and want to install an HDD do I have to reinstall windows on the hdd?

Putting the OS on the HDD would defeat the purpose of the SSD.

batrush

any of you that have the Alienware 13 r3 with the OLED screen. still like it? do i need to worry about it's longevity? as in burn in or other issues associated with that type of screen?
Still not another laptop on the market that I would prefer over it. Great battery life, build quality, reasonable weight and has the best screen on any laptop period. Only gripe is that the temps on modern demanding games really aren't that great. I get high 80s with the 1060 GPU, mid 80s on the 7700 CPU on stuff like Dark souls 3 and witcher 3 even after undervolting. Stuff like bayonetta gets more reasonable temps (low 70s CPU & GPU). Regarding screen longevity I wouldn't be worried if I were you. I haven't seen any reports of screen issues so far, and I've used two models heavily over the past two months or so, no issues.

dawgparty

I got the Dell Inspiron 7567 with 1050 Ti and 1080p IPS screen recently (direct from Dell), and overall I'm very pleased.
How's the keyboard on it? I have pretty big hands so I want to make sure it would be accomodating.

I'm thinking of just getting this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-in...lid-state-drive-black/5872507.p?skuId=5872507 My only worry is that the hinge is in the center. Seems like it might cause it to break easier.

nickerous

Super reliable, yeah?

Negative feedback for buying direct, where?

You could buy from a reseller, like XoticPC.

I just googled sager laptop review and at resellerratings.com has a bunch of bad reviews. I know the bad ones are more vocal, though. Just concerned. That's a lot of money.

madmook

How's the keyboard on it? I have pretty big hands so I want to make sure it would be accomodating.
It's pretty good in my opinion, no major complaints about it. Doesn't have much travel, and it's not mushy so it's kinda like stiff and springy. Don't feel much flex, either.

Izuna

Banned
Cool

Did the custom resolution thing

Got 2720 x 1530 (first available resolution that's >2x 1080p)

and of course 4k.

InsaneMonkey

Neo Member
How would this perform running Overwatch at Ultra? Anything that it wouldn't run particularly well? Value for money?

15.6" FHD (1920x1080) IPS display
128GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 2GB
Intel Core i5-7300HQ
8GB DDR4 RAM

$820

dawgparty

I'm amending my budget to $800-$1000. Preferably would be able to run Overwatch(doesn't matter what quality) but most important is build quality as my hands are huge and I need a keyboard that doesn't make me cramp up.

Still not another laptop on the market that I would prefer over it. Great battery life, build quality, reasonable weight and has the best screen on any laptop period. Only gripe is that the temps on modern demanding games really aren't that great. I get high 80s with the 1060 GPU, mid 80s on the 7700 CPU on stuff like Dark souls 3 and witcher 3 even after undervolting. Stuff like bayonetta gets more reasonable temps (low 70s CPU & GPU). Regarding screen longevity I wouldn't be worried if I were you. I haven't seen any reports of screen issues so far, and I've used two models heavily over the past two months or so, no issues.

thanks so much for the insight, glad to hear about the screen but you have given me some food for thought with your comments about the temps. i would be using this to play games like Starcraft, Overwatch, Heroes of the Storm, CS:GO and smaller games from my Steam backlog. not really interested in AAA games that are prevalent on consoles.
I'm going to look at the 15 R3 with a TN WVA 120Hz G-sync screen. unfortunately that one is not on sale.
if anyone has a suggestion for a similar build quality and performance/specs as the above please let me know.
any issues with Razer Blade (Pro?) out there?

gigabyte aero 15 (but has gtx 1060)

holtlegna

Banned
I'm looking to buy a laptop
I'm in the USA and i mostly need it for programming but I want to game on it as well. My budget is around 600-800
Any suggestions will be fine

K.Jack

How would this perform running Overwatch at Ultra? Anything that it wouldn't run particularly well? Value for money?

15.6" FHD (1920x1080) IPS display
128GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 2GB
Intel Core i5-7300HQ
8GB DDR4 RAM

$820

Overwatch on Ultra:

ow1050ti.jpg~original

I'm looking to buy a laptop
I'm in the USA and i mostly need it for programming but I want to game on it as well. My budget is around 600-800
Any suggestions will be fine

Might as well buy the Dell from a few posts up.

Arex

I think my aging msi laptop's gtx570m gpu got fried,

Managed to boot to windows afterwards with what I assume is the 2670QM's integrated gpu, albeit stuck to 1024x768, but the green lines still exists, and now the 570 is disabled in device manager.

Am I really running on the iGPU? I can't seem to change my resolution.
Do I need to uninstall all the nvidia drivers?

Have to bring forward my plan to build new ryzen system now lol T_T

Top Bottom