• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Who called the
hair change
?

They win the company pool

Dahbomb

Who called the xxxxx?

They win the company pool
I did of course.

So did many of the people in the fanbase.

It was obvious even in the initial reveal when they showed
he had patches of white hair.

Waiting for final boss fight video on DMD mode.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I know the game is not highly respected, and god knows I don't give a shit about DmC fiction, but that's no reason to dump spoilers all over the OT a week before release. If it was a game I cared about, I'd want people to be a lot more considerate.

I never thought they would manage to fuck up a Vergil fight, but that looked slow, clunky and full of unnecessary cinematics. It looked garbage, but ill see how it plays.

And,
The white hair is the unlockable skin. You can tell because the hair style is different. I'm not saying his hair wont get white at the end but that's not what this video is showing.

Beth Cyra

LOL squirrel semen is an actual quote in the game after all:

SPOILERS!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw3WlP3fRbs#t=1m12s

NUT CRUSHING SPOILERS CONTAINED WITHIN (FINAL BOSS AND CUTSCENE!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzohOJNvvzE

I must say, while Vergil always came across as an dick and full of himself, there was an undercurrent of tragic with his character, almost like he felt he needed to do what he did, or at least to me. This however was just some nonsense. Granted the rest of the story may justify it, and maybe I missed something with the video. Will watch the rest when it's uploaded.

I never thought they would manage to fuck up a Vergil fight, but that looked slow, clunky and full of unnecessary cinematics. It looked garbage, but ill see how it plays.

I know Ninja Theory is fucking awful but having those midfight cutscenes after doing like one combo of damage to Vergil is pretty bad even for them.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone and their mothers aren't very funny or witty.

Preaching to the choir my friend I was criticizing the decision initially

and the whole negative/mocking tone of the OT in general.

I don't care about the game in the slightest, but it's kind of a shame that someone who was genuinely interested didn't get dibs on the OT.

MKMh7.jpeg

This is actually the first DMC I've actually been excited about in a while. I like his design, got so sick of the original Dante...maybe it was the red coat and awful haircut or his "badass" attitude. I hope I'll be able to pick this up in the next few months.

of course you do.
iupC5qsKla4HT.png

this is just a MASSIVE improvement.

Zen

Banned
Sure it does. The fact that the lightning fast canceling and complex freeform combos in that video aren't possible in DmC suggests a major disparity between the combat systems of the two games. Experts aren't the only players who benefit from snappy controls, quick movement, and a huge move list that promotes experimentation and supports any play style.

There are still 'complex' free form combo's in DmC even if the ceiling is lower and they;re easier to initiate. There's not even a 'major' disparity per say, it's still a combo game with cancelling. It's absolutely still a 'stylish action game'.

DMC is a stylish action series, period. Platforming is tedious filler that's only interesting the first time you do it, and loads of linear platforming is DmC's only substantial addition to the formula it stripped down and simplified.

But a part of the problem, as the franchise went on, is that the majority of people weren't that stylish. The barrier to entry to even approach something paling in comparison to the youtube 1% players is still massive. That, along with the tunnel vision, is what DmC is trying to address.

Then they'll have to wait for a different game, because more platforming + simplistic combat doesn't equal a well rounded experience. And a so-called well rounded experience isn't what anyone should expect from a stylish action title anyway. You're implying it's a bad thing for games to specialize, but that's exactly what subgenres are for: games that are narrow in scope but extremely polished and deep within those confines.

Specialization to the degree that DMC ended up is a problem and was holding the franchise back, and really, broadening the experience slightly, harkening back to the more well rounded DMC1, is probably not even a bad thing for a decent amount of DMC fans.

If Capcom wanted to make DMC more accessible, they could have included a comprehensive training mode, MVC3-style combo challenges, a practice room with tons of options for enemy spawns and player traits, and a bunch of short tutorial missions. That would have made a lot more sense than throwing away or diluting everything that made the series special.

Or they could have expanded elements around the combat itself which is what they've done. I think we could see more options and even more free form combo branches in the eventual sequel. Even bringing it mechanically closer to DMC4. Just adding tutorials for how to combo etc wouldn't have done as much as what they went with.

Watch some Truestyle Tournament videos on YouTube to have your mind blown.

Mind blown? Why exactly? Seriously though I'm not denying they're impressive; they look really nice and have some very high skill requirements, but so what for the 99%? I'm sure DmC will have some impressive vids as well given time. Sure it won't be quite as technically involved in doing so, but maybe DmC2 will get there on the upper end with all the added platforming and optional mission events giving a bit more meat.

antitrop

Holy shit, that ending is fucking BAD.

I have never played through a Devil May Cry game without skipping all the cutscenes, so I don't even care. But that was bad.

Dahbomb

Guy said it took him 7:30 to beat on Nephilim.

The ending wasn't "bad" but it wasn't really good or mind blowing either. It was ... meh.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Ah, don't even have to rent this now. Much obliged to witness it ending predictably terribly without time investment I had no real desire to place outside of morbid curiosity. May give DMC4 a replay out of respect for the disease ridden once King before Feb kicks off 2013's action gaming in slicin' sick style.

antitrop

Just like everything else about the game, it's a grand letdown.
Meh, I think it will still be fun to play.

Devil May Cry has always had shit story lines, shit characters, shit endings, shit cutscenes, and shit dialogue. This game is just par for the course.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Guy said it took him 7:30 to beat on Nephilim.

The ending wasn't "bad" but it wasn't really good or mind blowing either. It was ... meh.

No dude, that was bad.

"Your name is Donte." *cue credits*

Wasn't storytelling one of the things NT was supposed to fix?

Goon Boon

Banned
No dude, that was bad.

"Your name is Donte." *cue credits*

Wasn't storytelling one of the things NT was supposed to fix?

People willing to trade their gameplay for story telling deserve neither and will lose both. But yeah, I expected better than that. :(

Foffy

Banned

Devil May Cry has always had shit story lines, shit endings, shit cutscenes, and shit dialogue. This game is just par for the course.

Now with rotten combat? It seems like a far step below any other game in the series in every fathomable way that I find it unbelievable people can even be hyped for this.

I can say I knew better. The demo validated that.

rmanthorp

That last line is such a fucking troll. I have come round on how amazing of a troll the whole game has become. AND it's fun to play.

Devil May Cry has always had shit story lines, shit characters, shit endings, shit cutscenes, and shit dialogue. This game is just par for the course.

Nope. The characters were fun, cheesy, but fun. The endings were great (besides 2). The cutscenes were fun, and so was the dialogue.

What are ya smokin'?

antitrop

Nope. The characters were fun, cheesy, but fun. The endings were great (besides 2). The cutscenes were fun, and so was the dialogue.

What are ya smokin'?
Smoking something would have only improved my enjoyment of those things.

I can appreciate some of the goofy elements in the DMC franchise, even "DARK SOUL WITH LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT", but the vast majority of it is nonsensical bravado bullshit. Which is fine, you're not wrong for liking it, those elements are not objectively bad. I just don't find them interesting or cool. I like playing Devil May Cry games.

Top Bottom