• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainy

Banned
It's worth watching the movie to simply see a different interpretation of the same story. While RahXephon TV is very much Izubuchi's vision which Kyoda assisted in translating onto screen, I feel the movie is representative of Kyoda's own vision of the same story. But you might not want to watch it right away because most of it is recycled TV footage re-edited in different ways. Might feel boring if you just finished the series.

As for the question..
IIRC, Bahbem was a scientist on Mu back when Mulians lived with humans in the same dimensional space. He was involved in some shit that threw Mu into another dimension, possibly due to early RahXephon tuning experiments, and he got stuck in our dimension. He started up a foundation and used his advanced technology as a basis to acquire great power and wealth over the generations, cloning him, all for the purpose of fixing what he sees as his mistake so the dimensions are reunited again and he can go home.
Alright I'll watch the movie somewhere done the line!

And thanks for that answer, makes sense! If I may ask, what made you personally enjoy the romance so much in the show? (I realize I'm asking so many questions, just want to talk to someone about this show haha).

I feel like the slow build up of Haruka and Ayato's relationship really made it for me. It's not something you see coming and those small plot revelations throughout the series just create such a buildup that it just felt so good when everything came together. I was just rewatching the epilogue when they first meet, whew.

Line_HTX

Fuuka 4

This is fun only because it has me and my roommate arguing about cliches and our stances of who this guy should end up with. Agreed that he should end up with no one. But if we had to pick we are on opposite ends.

God... We're such nerds...

Anticipating the plot point and calling out the details, eh?

:p

Jintor

Gabchan 3

I felt bad for poor Mr coffee guy

This show continues to be solidly eh. Not enough comedy to be truly funny, not enough emotions to feel like anything much really. I'd drop it if MC didn't have some occasionally decent facial reactions, but it's really on the edge

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
LWA 3:

Wanted more Redline out of this. The best parts were where the girls were spinning. But this is a racing episode, you shouldn't be moving circularly, but linearly!

Chindogg

Fuuka 4

This is fun only because it has me and my roommate arguing about cliches and our stances of who this guy should end up with. Agreed that he should end up with no one. But if we had to pick we are on opposite ends.

God... We're such nerds...

Just stick around and see what happens lol.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The contrast between Scum's Wish and LWA is pretty stark. By episode 3, we having little if any direction or concrete goal for our heroes. They are cardboard cutouts. Akko likes Chariot. Sucy likes poisons. Diana is stuck up. Ursula has anxiety. Lotte exists. We don't know the relation of their school to the greater magical world. We don't even know the relationship between the town and the school. Magic only works near the Sorceror's Stone? Whaaaa? How does this sustain a magical world at all? How can you come from a "magical bloodline" if magic needs the Sorcerer's Stone as fuel. Are there multiple? Is the one in Luna Nova unique? How are classes structured, grades, progress? Do they even show the passage of time? It feels like episodes 1 and 2 were 1 day in-universe each but episode 3 was maybe a week or more? Who announces a competition on the third day of school?

Scum's Wish 1 sets up a love rectangle. Mugi and Hanabi establish their toxic, loveless relationship, start getting sexual but create artificial boundaries between themselves. By episode 2, the rectangle is a hexagon, Hanabi is being molested by her lesbian childhood friend, Mugi and Hanabi redraw their boundaries to exclude sex, and Hanabi already upends her end of the "wish". There's also more to Mugi's and Akane's relationship than meats the eye.

One is so dense and dripping with tension it's suffocating (which is its main appeal) and the other one is a beautiful but ultimately empty meal utterly devoid of calories. In 3 episodes of LWA I have seen no sign of an arc or dramatic triangle. It's like TRIGGER is redoing the OVAs, just giving everyone the briefest introduction before hijinx ensue, over and over again, but with much lower budget per instance. On the other hand, Scum's Wish is already on some 5 dimensional chess and is rapidly expanding towards a 6th dimension.

THIS IS NOT HOW IT WAS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN.

duckroll

The contrast between Scum's Wish and LWA is pretty stark.

You are comparing the pacing of a 12 episode adaptation of a completing manga with a 25 episode original expansion of two fluffy OVAs? I mean sure all the shit you typed could be factually true (maybe? haven't watched either) but I also don't know what you expected. Especially given Trigger's track record.

Qurupeke

THIS IS NOT HOW IT WAS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN.

To be fair, LWA is a 25 episodes series, it's pretty obvious that it won't be moving as fast as Scum's Wish. And on top of that, it's more of a comedy. That said, I'm a bit baffled by the decisions on that show. It's like you're supposed to know the characters and the setting from the OVAs, so they don't introduce a lot of that properly, but on the same time, this is supposed to be something new, without prior knowledge. However, the show doesn't need to be deep or complex to be very enjoyable. For now, I don't really mind the lack of developments and the more or less episodic structure of LWA, but in the long term, it will hurt the show.

Moreover, the recent Flip Flappers is a prime example of what LWA should avoid. The show would have worked even with no context and "cardboard" characters and yet they tried to make it more ambitious, and a lot more dumb in the process. Fortunately, LWA is 2 cours, so I suppose it has the potential to handle everything a lot better. It will certainly have an overarching plot eventually, I suppose the stuff with Shiny Chariot, but there's still room for more lax episodes.

Szadek

Why are you comparing 2 completely unrelated shows?
It's just so random.

Anyway:
Mawaru Penguindrum - Ep. 1-2
That was pretty weird as well pretty in general. More or less what I expected since I already watched Utena and Yuri Kuma.
Love that penguin hat chick already.

Twin Star Exorcists - Ep. 27
Mayura got her on epsiode as well as a bit of development, which was nice.
Also, the new OP is pretty awesome

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I disappointed by Mike's lack of photos from inside the changing rooms during his Free! locations tour.

You know, it would be good if Little Witch Academia was actually about something. Anything at all.

cute girls! crazy hijinks! 'comfort food' anime!

edit: I thought the same Haly, what kind of shitty magical world is this where they depend of being near a magical stone to do some magic.

Personally, I'm very tired of Akko's personality stereotype. Oh god, another mindless, talentless MC (and where the series uses that a lot as base for gags, because being dumb is funny!) who in exchange has a big heart, faith in something (here in magic/Chariot) and determination.

Moaradin

Not sure why Little Witch Academia needs to be anything more than it currently is. I'm perfectly fine with having little adventures each episode with fun and quirky characters. Isn't that what people wanted Flip Flappers to be? Most people hated when it started to focus on the central plot.

Not that LWA can't do a good job of that as well. It's 25 episodes so it has plenty of time to develop into its own.

I don't need my magical girl shows about 14~ year olds to have deep characterization about their motivations in magic school as though actual 14~ years olds have deep motivations for going to school and the things they do. Diana as an example clearly has more going on than they've gotten into right now, but that doesn't mean every character needs to.

Not to mention the show is 25 episodes long there's plenty of time.

Scum's Wish is fucking about two teenagers who want to bang their teachers and instead decide to swap bodily fluids with each other in place of those crushes and it has 12 episodes to do it. It better fucking have more characterization than a silly magical girl comedy in the first 3 minutes of the show. There is literally no comparison between the shows other than the fact they are anime and to compare their characters feels extremely silly.

duckroll

And thanks for that answer, makes sense! If I may ask, what made you personally enjoy the romance so much in the show? (I realize I'm asking so many questions, just want to talk to someone about this show haha).

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Mendrox

Not sure why Little Witch Academia needs to be anything more than it currently is. I'm perfectly fine with having little adventures each episode with fun and quirky characters. Isn't that what people wanted Flip Flappers to be? Most people hated when it started to focus on the central plot.

Not that LWA can't do a good job of that as well. It's 25 episodes so it has plenty of time to develop into its own.

Wouldn't mind if it stays like this, because LWA is just fun and shouldn't be anything more.

Aki-at

I was going to pop in with this comment but got sidetracked. This is my thoughts exactly, I'm not watching this for a overall arc or for good character motivation and development, I'm watching it for the same reason I'd watch something like the Amazing World of Gumball or Loud House. It's an enjoyable show aimed at family (At least I think it is) that has well done art, good humour and a colourful cast. I thought prior to the airing of this show that's the sort of demograph they were aiming too.

I mean that could change yeah but even if it doesn't I'd still consider it a very enjoyable show.

Cornbread78

Why are you comparing 2 completely unrelated shows?
It's just so random.

Anyway:
Mawaru Penguindrum - Ep. 1-2
That was pretty weird as well pretty in general. More or less what I expected since I already watched Utena and Yuri Kuma.
Love that penguin hat chick already.

Twin Star Exorcists - Ep. 27
Mayura got her on epsiode as well as a bit of development, which was nice.
Also, the new OP is pretty awesome

Another Penguindrum watcher, lol!

Yeah, the OP and EDs from TSE have been excellent. We should be getting a new one for the final 10 episodes as well.

I'm not watching the show, but I don't think that's complaint people are making. People aren't saying that they want a big plot; they're just saying that they'd like some attention put on actually fleshing the characters out. "Adventures with fun and quirky characters" work out better when you've been given more of a reason to become invested in those characters, after all.

Jex

Wouldn't mind if it stays like this, because LWA is just fun and shouldn't be anything more.

This sounds like an attack of lowered expectations. Wouldn't it be more interesting if something could be both fun and something a little more substantial? I don't see you wouldn't want more.

Jarmel

Banned
Your Name was robbed.
Not surprised. Zootopia was always going to win.
This sounds like an attack of lowered expectations. Wouldn't it be more interesting if something could be both fun and something a little more substantial? I don't see you wouldn't want more.
That's fine but it's also only three episodes into a 25 episode series. They're already laying the groundwork for some stuff.

Mendrox

No, I would like it not having more, but just fun storys like these past three episodes. Not every series needs a big plot.

Edit: Well, tbh if they suddenly start a "holy shit big bad here and there, magic wizzard mechas in space battle it out" thing, then I wouldn't mind it too lol

Szadek

Little Witch Academia - Ep. 3
It was a decent episode and was mostly there to reintroduce the characters from the second movie.
I do think that the show should go somewhere (either with it's characters or story), but there is still more than enough episodes left for that.

Another Penguindrum watcher, lol!

Yeah, the OP and EDs from TSE have been excellent. We should be getting a new one for the final 10 episodes as well.
The fact that other reasons are watching Penguindrum is part of the reason why I started watching it right now.

Yeah, TSE was always very good with it's ED's and OP's.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
BAFTA didn't nominate Your Name either despite having a screening in Britain.

Then again they didn't nominate When Marnie Was There either, which was an even better film.

and that's not to mention the complete absence of the Love Live! Movie...

...and the blu-ray for Your Name wouldn't be released until around October.

Eh. Funimation's gamble didn't really pay off.

To be fair, them holding back the screening isn't the reason for the late BD, if that's what you're implying? That's a stipulation from the JP side.

Zootopia wasn't directed by Shinkai. Huge difference.

That's true. Shinkai doesn't fit the status quo :p

I couldn't finish Zootopia. Too boring.

Yeah, I did finish it, but came away with little but the hope it would have the desired effect on kids. For me it was a tortured allegory concerned more with message than entertainment.

Probably not. Maybe Mary and the Witch's Flower can get a nomination if its distributor pretends it's a Ghibli film.

Hm... Wouldn't there be a lot of possibly good anime movies in the running for next year if everything gets picked up/shown. A Silent Voice, In This Corner of the World, Mary and the Witch's Flower those Yuasa movies and possibly others?

I'm banking on the Sword Art Online movie winning in 2018.

If it for some reason actually did win would that be a good thing or bad? :p

Hm... Wouldn't there be a lot of possibly good anime movies in the running for next year if everything gets picked up/shown. A Silent Voice, In This Corner of the World, Mary and the Witch's Flower those Yuasa movies and possibly others?

Theoretically but I wouldn't expect most of those films to make it to the US in 2017.

Tuck

If its 24 episodes, its possible the second have could be more continuous like Kill la Kill was, but honestly I'm fine with these smaller adventures.

MSMrRound

Kill la Kill also started off with a monster-of-the-week format until they decided to shift it into crazy mode. Relax. Let's just enjoy the hi-jinks of Akko, our adorkable mary sue of a protagonist.

Episode 3 of LWA was a fun ride. Lost it when Akko went through the 5 stages of grief trying her hand at learning to ride a broom, from threatening her broom to a abrupt cut of her just trying to grovel to it to allow her to fly. Akko is fun, and Megumi Han sells her very well.

Oh boy finally here we go! The appearance of Amanda's trio! The relay race was great and I loved that obscure Pawn Stars reference as well.

Yeah, I did finish it, but came away with little but the hope it would have the desired effect on kids. For me it was a tortured allegory concerned more with message than entertainment.

I remember disliking movies that were too preaching as kid, I felt they were condescending, just because I wasn't a grow up.

Is there a resurgence of Tintin in Japan I'm not aware of?

Pudgy Tintin:
Fat%20Tintin_zps9eix5svb.jpg

Buff Tintin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom