• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR sold out within 5 minutes (UK and German amazon store)

Portugeezer

screenshot03-16-16at077sxy.png

foreboding-gandalf.jpg

If only people didn't buy stuff from them, the shitstorm would end quickly.

Elandyll

Banned
Lol at the repeated call for scalpers to explain the sales pre-orders, even if like for many if not most anticipated pre orders it's obviously a factor.

As if a well priced accessory for a hot new feature for the most popular console WW atm would not sell out fast anyway (first production runs always being limited to test the market).

Also that Ouya sold out in a day.

Food for thought.

Yep. I'm definitely waiting on the next console generation before buying into VR. Glad to see it's off to a strong start, but there will be so many issues being discovered both with hardware and software that will take a new iteration to solve.

Are you guys kidding?
This happens all the time with sought after items on launch day and sometimes it keeps going for months after until production keeps up with demand.
Amazon has a preorder number allocation to work with.

Not at all. As I said, they could easily make enough for every PS4 owner between now and October, if they wanted to. So any shortages would either be deliberate, to engender perception of demand, or negligent. Anyhoo, mine's pre-ordered now from Game, so it'd better turn up in the first wave!

HowZatOZ

Banned
I am very intrigued to see the public response to VR. When I tested it with Oculus' original Dev kit the response was pretty awesome, everyone loved it even with the most simplest train simulator. If they can nail the games right across all VR systems the public will just go nuts.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Got my preorder but it took ages getting to the checkout, site must of been getting hammered.

Caayn

Not at all. As I said, they could easily make enough for every PS4 owner between now and October, if they wanted to. So any shortages would either be deliberate, to engender perception of demand, or negligent. Anyhoo, mine's pre-ordered now from Game, so it'd better turn up in the first wave!
You really believe that Sony can make close to 40 million PSVR kits in under six months?

Just placed a preorder on Amazon UK a few minutes ago - didn't see any issues.

"Note: Due to limited stock we are only able to offer one unit per customer per address. We do not currently have a release date for this product. Based on our initial allocation we cannot guarantee release day delivery if you ordered after 11:45 GMT, Wednesday 16 March, 2016. You will be notified via email of the expected delivery date closer to the time. This product comes with a UK plug and therefore may not be suitable for use outside of the UK."

If this is a general trend I'm guessing Sony will probably up there production. Might as well get as many headsets out there while the hype is going strong.

playXray

"Note: Due to limited stock we are only able to offer one unit per customer per address. We do not currently have a release date for this product. Based on our initial allocation we cannot guarantee release day delivery if you ordered after 11:45 GMT, Wednesday 16 March, 2016. You will be notified via email of the expected delivery date closer to the time. This product comes with a UK plug and therefore may not be suitable for use outside of the UK."

Nice spot - that explains it :)

Just hope I get one now!

Cyport

Ooh I got the preorder email confirmation at 11.44. I hope it's fine!

Tobinishi

Pre-ordered PSVR immediately at Saturn after it was sold out on amazon. Anyone having experiences with them? How likely is it that they won't get enough units?

EJStyleS

Just pre-ordered on Amazon UK, so...

(obviously had to do it before writing this post!)

Ah, I see...I may get it in 2017 as I pre-ordered after 11:45?

Auctopus

yeah but now we get six months to make up our mind, rather than waiting, finding out it actually is amazing and it being sold out till next march, Wii style.

Exactly. I'm going to Gamescom this Summer on press day, I'll play it there and if I don't like it, I'll cancel my pre-order.

Arnie7

Banned
Just placed a preorder on Amazon UK a few minutes ago - didn't see any issues.

From amazon:

Note: Due to limited stock we are only able to offer one unit per customer per address. We do not currently have a release date for this product. Based on our initial allocation we cannot guarantee release day delivery if you ordered after 11:45 GMT, Wednesday 16 March, 2016. You will be notified via email of the expected delivery date closer to the time. We will be fulfilling customer orders in the order in which they were placed. This product comes with a UK plug and therefore may not be suitable for use outside of the UK.

Kovacs

I was in a meeting at work when the orders went live. So got my colleague to order on my account.

Thankfully he did the business and I've received confirmation of the order.

Would this really attract scalpers? I can't imagine it being THAT hard to get hold of. Especially selling out so early - surely there's time to increase the supply in response in time for October
You're not charged up front. You can cancel at any time.

There is literally no reason not to hedge your bets if you're a scalper.

If it looks like demand is going to be crazy you'll make your bucks, if it looks like there will be enough supply to meet it, you cancel the pre-order.

Nothing lost.

farisr

Fucking hell, shit sold out on Amazon Canada too.
Nah, the listing you're looking at has been like this for a while. The listing opened at around at $1000 a month or so ago (and I believe amazon was cancelling any of the orders that had been placed when the listing was open). Has been like this ever since.

Preorders have not officially gone live here in Canada.

When did this happen?

I had the tab open since 8am and never saw a pre-order icon.

For me it's saying:

"Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

Nah, the listing you're looking at has been like this for a while. The listing opened at around at $1000 a month or so ago. Has been like this ever since.

Preorders have not officially gone live here in Canada.

Sorry guys, my bad. Didn't mean to rustle jimmies

Top Bottom