• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

some guy leaked FFXV's story six months ago | up: newer 4chan stuff as of Dec 9th

Ishida

Banned
Let it go bro. You know how this versus vs 15 is going to go. It's a concept and a concept will always sound better than an executed product period. It could've been worse it could've been better. Let ppl be reminiscent of versus just as they should let others enjoy 15

Just being curious. ;)

I followed Versus XIII since it's reveal, so people cannot bullshit me about this.

rhandino

Banned
images
9ZUljY7.gif

Infest

People are mixing up 4chan threads.
  • Thread #1 about the story having leaked 6 months before the game released
  • Thread #2 about someone who allegedly worked on the game, Versus XIII info, cut content from XV
  • Thread #3 about someone claiming Nomura is directing a game called Versus XV that fits his vision for XV, also Kingsglaive: The Game in production right now

#1 is true
#2 could be true/ could also be just a crazy fanfic that somehow fits in the narative of the trailers/ interviews over the years
#3 bullshit

NeonZ

The "Versus XV" rumor just seems waaaaaay too out there. The financial situation and just needing to get a big game out ASAP being the catalyst for directorial/scope changes is pretty believable, but I don't buy for a second that SE would say "well, okay, now that we're making money, you can go retell XV and do whatever you want."

There being a Versus XV at all is BS enough, but the whole bit about it covering the original VsXIII story premise is the BS cherry on top.

People are eating rumors way too easily here, due to two previous leaks being confirmed. However, a "Versus XV" that follows Versus XIII's supposed original story would be an easy way to market a pseudo XV sequel with tons of reused assets.

Pygrus

Let it go bro. You know how this versus vs 15 is going to go. It's a concept and a concept will always sound better than an executed product period. It could've been worse it could've been better. Let ppl be reminiscent of versus just as they should let others enjoy 15

If only everyone else was so level headed.

Squire

Banned
Ever watched how a female character is treated in Game of Thrones?

Eh, GoT isn't a great comparison. You have a lot of women characters either in power or exerting their influence from behind the scenes, and even female characters on the lower rung that assert themselves and making power moves, in what is ostensibly still a patriarchal society, often at the risk of their freedom, their safety, and possibly their lives.

I'm not saying it's a bastion of feminism (and I'm talking about the show specifically, of course), but there's quite a bit of nuance to the women characters in GoT and how they're characterized/portrayed.

Outline it, please. A list with ALL the differences to the final XV is appreciated. I'll wait.
Go read all the pages of interviews and information on versus that existed prior to the revamp.

I'll wait.

People need to stop acting like we only had a trailer as our basis for information about Versus.
Also true.

SaniOYOYOY

FUCK MY LIFE!!!!

Tell us everything you know about Versus

The game centered about death, ghosts and hallucination/dreams. Noctis killed the female protagonist before the game started but he didn't remember. Ardyn was Noctis ancestor and he was responsible of the crystals disappearing over time (the only one left was Lucis crystal). Regis died in front of Noctis because his bodyguards betrayed him. The protagonists had to leave the capital because their nation lost the war.

The game didn't focus on summons that much (they still existed) and instead there were actual gods which didn't appear physically. One of the gods was the main antagonist of the first FF game. Each nation was inspired by a different capital of the world. The empire was using ghosts as weapons. Ravus wanted to kill Noctis for having killed her sister. The game ended in another dimension which was supposed to be their version of the after-life.

It's hard to remember every detail.

This actually sounds fucking amazing T_T

I dont know.... xv without all the offscreening stuff + the content that was cut (accoring to this thread) seems to work better. But yea,this game really is suffering from square previous missmanagement.

and, as I once said, luminous engine wont go anywhere. their lead engine designer said to only use lumi on 1 game first to see how it goes

Ishida

Banned
Go read all the pages of interviews and information on versus that existed prior to the revamp.

I'll wait.

People need to stop acting like we only had a trailer as our basis for information about Versus.

Been there, done that. I'm a walking encyclopaedia of Versus XIII information, down to the most of smallest bits Nomura talked about in interviews.

I know everything there is to publicly know about Versus XIII.

Guys the link that I posted as a joke, why are some of you taking it seriously!?

Go figure. :p

Nah, just kind of disappointed to see people I considered to be level headed eating up rumors like this.
Ah I see. I understand.

To be fair, many of us, me included both before and during my time as a member of GAF, we're riding the hype train to XV so much and now, it's completely different. It's bizarre. That's why this leak is getting to me haha.

Zolo

Hopefully FFXVI has a better scope and focus on it going forward than the 'attempted to do a trilogy mess' that seems to have happened with FFXV.

Ishida

Banned
Ah I see. I understand.

To be fair, many of us, me included both before and during my time as a member of GAF, we're riding the hype train to XV so much and now, it's completely different. It's bizarre. That's why this leak is getting to me haha.

Don't worry. Hype gets to us all.

People who are praising the Versus story, what exactly am I missing in it that makes it so much better than what we got? Both are terrible if you take a look at them in summary form.

I just find it hilarious that a character that was given so much love and importance was..... basically killed at the start of the game. I would love to pay for the game being released just to see the reaction of the Stella fans :p

P.S I am already over Versus/XV and I enjoyed my time with XV and consider it my top FFs. Just here for reading the reactions, whether the leak is true or not, it doesn't matter because one was merely a concept while the other is an actual game.

There's nothing about that supposed VSXIII original story that automatically makes it better than XV.

It's simply a different story and we lack nuances of the vsxiii moment to moment to know if it'll be good or bad.

For sure. But, it absolutely sounds legit, especially watching the olds trailers now. So, I'm not sure why a couple of posters are laughing at people believing it.

Illucio

Banned
So who desreves most of the brunt SE or Tabata in your option? I'm just asking.

To be fair, both.

Square pushed for a 2016 release date.

Tabata was stuck condensing a story but was never able to put a structured story together but ultimately spent a lot of time putting things that didn't make sense in then what it was that he took out.

But both Square and Tabata were stuck between fans wanting what Versus 13 promised and what they could actually accomplish for one game. And Kingsglaive which literally had XV throw out portions of the game in order to make the movie work.

Square had the financial backing to extend development for a whole year to finish the game if they wanted too. And if the game actually had that time they would have got made their revenue back because of the better reception and sales that came with it. But if the leaks are true and Square is determining whether XVI will happen or not on XV's success, it's ultimately the Square's fault for high expectations to see this game launch in such a small work window and funding a movie that they forced the development side to completely change the game. And Tabata for continuing development with a unfinished foundation and allowing his team go full into work on content that was still being determined if it would work in the game or not to begin with.

Square wanted to go out big, but they wanted to jump right into full force of development because they thought because Versus 13 world and story was already written, thought out, and completed there wasn't a need to plan everything out. But both Tabata and Square didn't realize that condensing the story and that these multimedia projects needed to be discussed and planned out better.

At the end of the day they did do a very good job on what was their situation. The game turn out decent and it's still a good game in a lot of ways. The game wasn't a failure and I'm sure Square learned quite a bit. But it's going to take a lot of work and money trying to "fix" the game and the possibility for a FFXVI is up in the air as this soft blow to the game is really going to hurt them big time.

Trago

Alright, so for FFXVI needs:

- To dump Luminous
- Use Unreal 4
- Have a reasonable dev cycle
- Hire YoshiP as the director
- ????
- PROFIT!

Ishida

Banned
For sure. But, it absolutely sounds legit, especially watching the olds trailers now. So, I'm not sure why a couple of posters are laughing at people believing it.

Because anyone can watch the old trailers and make up a story around the scenes?

I might as well add "Ravus used to have a scar on the top part of his face, done by an angry, out of control Noctis when he killed Stella."

Oh SHIET! Well, that explains why old Ravus always had a mask on! :O

rhandino

Banned
People who are praising the Versus story, what exactly am I missing in it that makes it so much better than what we got? Both are terrible if you take a look at them in summary form.
The outline sounds incredible silly at face value but it could work just like it did, more or less, on the first Dead Space or that anime called Tokyo Magnitude.

There is also the part in which I am a sucker for the lore of the FNC project so there is that =P

Not saying that I believe is real but I would pay money to see another game that tries that concept of the main protagonist hallucinating.

Alright, so for FFXVI needs:

- To dump Luminous
- Use Unreal 4
- Have a reasonable dev cycle
- Hire YoshiP as the director
- ????
- PROFIT!
Be turnbased because that's the true final fantasy.
-no guns
-no cars
-no anime bullshit
-have a diverse cast ff never had that
-no chainsaws
Etc

While playing XV, I find it so surreal that the game has so much riding on the player having:

A) Followed the development
B) Played the various demos and seen the trailers
C) Watched Brotherhood
D) Watched Kingsglaive

I mean, I remember reading about a childhood accident and powers and such... The game says fuck all about any of that (so far, I haven't finished but there's no point bringing it up) and Brotherhood and Kingsglaive bring it up but that's failed game design. These are typically things that if you want to hint at them, you draw attention to it and THEN release the other medium films and episodes detailing what happened.

It's just sloppy.

At the end of the day they did do a very good job on what was their situation. The game turn out decent and it's still a good game in a lot of ways. The game wasn't a failure and I'm sure Square learned quite a bit. But it's going to take a lot of work and money trying to "fix" the game and the possibility for a FFXVI is up in the air as this soft blow to the game is really going to hurt them big time.
I think the game will do well enough for them and with it being out and all, getting positive reviews and WOM, the game is already proving to be a hit. The DLC plans along with post-launch support are just icing on the cake and they can also finally bury Versus XIII and move on from the 10 years old concept.

They have FFVII: Remake as the next major release and it is all on Nomura. Since Tabata delivered what SE expected, I wonder if Nomura is able to meet a deadline and peer pressure to deliver his FFVII: Remake.

The outline sounds incredible silly at face value but it could work just like it did, more or less, on the first Dead Space or that anime called Tokyo Magnitude.

There is also the part in which I am a sucker for the lore of the FNC project so there is that =P

Not saying that I believe is real but I would pay money to see another game that tries that concept of the main protagonist hallucinating.
The concept has been overused at this point so.... I don't know if it would have the same effect on me.

I always hate when someone uses Hallucinations to cover the weak points of the story. Loved Tokyo Magnitude though, but it was a very different story altogether as opposed to the one here where the lead was killed right in the start :p

libregkd

I mean I'm not putting too much validity in the rumors one way or another (particularly in regards to Versus XIII...out of everything that is the most bullshit) but the supposed leak of the cut content just makes so much sense. FFXV is an unfinished game, that much in painfully obvious. The leaked list of supposed cuts to the game just make logical sense given how much of the game is seemingly missing post chapter 9. XV really felt like a completely different game in terms of how just how it flowed from moment to moment.

I mean if anything, even if the list of cut content is false at least the person making up some realistic fixes to an incomplete game.

Top Bottom