• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

What if low key the Snyders were driving WB to work on non-Batman DC properties. That'd be funny. We know they had little to nothing to do with Suicide Squad but were pushing Wonder Woman and Aquaman.

Nobody knows. I doubt people at Warner Bros know anymore at this point.

This is what happens when people bitch about Snyder. He at least had a fucking huge wall in his office showing how all the original movies would be linked together, you know, a collective universe with a plan.

I doubt they ever really knew. Really. I mean, it's showed.

And blaming people for not liking Snyder's vision is...uhhh....

Arguing they're getting their ducks in a row when one of those ducks is a Joker/Harley movie seems weird too.

At this rate by next week we're going to be getting the headline, "DC IS MAKING ALL OF THE MOVIES".

What better way to surprise audiences. Announce a hundred movies so you can't guess which one they're filming. Then just like that they announce The Flash is in theaters tomorrow.

It worked for the Sega Saturn!

Ninjimbo

Nobody knows. I doubt people at Warner Bros know anymore at this point.

This is what happens when people bitch about Snyder. He at least had a fucking huge wall in his office showing how all the original movies would be linked together, you know, a collective universe with a plan.
Ugh, don't remind me. Snyder worked his ass off for a decade just to see everything go up in a cloud of "optimism" and "Hero" smoke. I need a drink.

Penguin

I think we reached the point where peak internet meets peak WB. They have a history of just trying a ton of different paths to get these movies off the ground. See everything rumored between Batman and Robin/Batman Begins and Superman IV/Superman Returns. Except now it seems like EVERYTHING gets reported. I don't doubt that some of these projects will never leave the planning stage or be stuck in development hell for like a decade.

I doubt they ever really knew. Really. I mean, it's showed.

And blaming people for not liking Snyder's vision is...uhhh....

Arguing they're getting their ducks in a row when one of those ducks is a Joker/Harley movie seems weird too.

Say what you want about his movies, Snyder had a game plan for this stuff. People bitching about him, especially those who were extreme about it, made anything associated with him toxic. However, Wonder Woman and Aquaman will happen because of him and one is the best received DCEU film and the other is shaping up to rival it.

shingi70

Banned
Snyder did have a definite plan, but this time at least in regards to BVS didn't work.

Now considering all the cards they have on the table.it doesn't seem like they have sat down to plan down where they want to go and how things might connect to one another. With Johns and Co now in charge that seems like a bad idea.

Say what you want about his movies, Snyder had a game plan for this stuff. People bitching about him, especially those who were extreme about it, made anything associated with him toxic. However, Wonder Woman and Aquaman will happen because of him and one is the best received DCEU film and the other is shaping up to rival it.

I'm not arguing that he didn't have a plan. People just didn't like it.

And I mean, that's fine. It's also fine if you guys did. I disagree with that opinion, but that's ok. I feel like getting mad at people because "they didn't get Snyder" is stupid, though.

Aquaman and Wonder Woman happened because WB is doing a DC cinematic universe. Crediting Snyder with getting those movies going seems weird given they're two big pieces of the damn Justice League. That was always going to happen. He didn't greenlight Guardians of the Galaxy or something.

"One is the best received DC film" also isn't a glowing endorsement of the two films Snyder himself directed. These things don't happen in a vacuum. People certainly get carried away with their bashing of Snyder. Critiquing his plan and execution isn't bashing in and of itself though.

Effect

What if low key the Snyders were driving WB to work on non-Batman DC properties. That'd be funny. We know they had little to nothing to do with Suicide Squad but were pushing Wonder Woman and Aquaman.

I think that was very likely the case. WB and DC always retreat back to Batman. We know the Snyders were pushing hard for Wonder Woman to be made. They actually helped finance it. It was Zack Snyder's idea and push to even have Wonder Woman in BvS. He's been a fan of Aquaman for a while as well too so it's no surprise that film was one of the next ones up after WW and JL.

One of my fears was WB retreating back to the Batman well. At the very least it's the Bat family this time and not just Batman alone but its still Batman focused. Ugh. I can't stand that. I'm actually glad Fox has the rights to Batman on TV right now and Berlanti is able to do what he's doing on the CW. Sadly we have Green Arrow there as Batman lite but at least we have Supergirl and Flash and Legends is insane.

Like said Snyder at the very least has a plan and road map. Since critics were so over the damn top (I don't think people can't deny this even if they also didn't care for the film) in their hate for BvS that's all gone now and I've always had a concern about WB not actually replacing it be it sticking with the connected universe or going back to isolated films and trilogies.

I'm not arguing that he didn't have a plan. People just didn't like it.

And I mean, that's fine. It's also fine if you guys did. I disagree with that opinion, but that's ok. I feel like getting mad at people because "they didn't get Snyder" is stupid, though.

Aquaman and Wonder Woman happened because WB is doing a DC cinematic universe. Crediting Snyder with getting those movies going seems weird given they're two big pieces of the damn Justice League. That was always going to happen. He didn't greenlight Guardians of the Galaxy or something.

"One is the best received DC film" also isn't a glowing endorsement of the two films Snyder himself directed. These things don't happen in a vacuum. People certainly get carried away with their bashing of Snyder. Critiquing his plan and execution isn't bashing in and of itself though.
Wonder Woman and Aquaman are the only films to make it into production from when he and his wife were running the show. I think it's fair to say they deserve the credit for them.

I still feel like we'd be waiting on a Wonder Woman movie if Snyder didn't choose to include her in Batman v Superman.

"One is the best received DC film" is in regards to Wonder Woman. You know the movie where the story concept and treatment came from Snyder.

Dead

well not really...yet
Snyders biggest credit for WW is casting Gal. Literally as perfect as casting can get, he saw in her what no one else did.

Ashhong

The funny thing is I called for Warner to do exactly what they seem to be doing... 3 years ago

Follow the animated route

Have a "core" line

Then a series of solo movies in universe but maybe not completely connected

And then do whatever the hell you want for the rest

http://nerdsontherocks.com/dc-cinematic-universe-animated-one/

I would also love this. I don't need connections in every movie.

In fact, I'm inclined to believe that's what Reeves meant. The movie takes place in the DCEU, but just isn't going to be super connected like Civil War. Standalone movies sounds fantastic.

Ross61

I want to say I could see where some of you are coming from, but y'all were mad that Shazam was on track so I dunno anymore.

Wonder Woman and Aquaman are the only films to make it into production from when he and his wife were running the show. I think it's fair to say they deserve the credit for them.

I still feel like we'd be waiting on a Wonder Woman movie if Snyder didn't choose to include her in Batman v Superman.

"One is the best received DC film" is in regards to Wonder Woman. You know the movie where the story concept and treatment came from Snyder.

Weird that this doesn't show in the two movies he actually directed. Lmfao.

I want to say I could see where some of you are coming from, but y'all were mad that Shazam was on track so I dunno anymore.

Is it? I haven't heard anything since Rock. And apparently that's not even a thing anymore.

I was more shocked Shazam was still on track after years of vague updates. Good on New Line though.

Weird that this doesn't show in the two movies he actually directed. Lmfao.

Is it? I haven't heard anything since Rock. And apparently that's not even a thing anymore.

He might be better suited for being a cinematographer and producer than a director. It's similar to Goyer. I think Goyer is a great ideas man, but don't hand the man sole scripting duties. If you want him to write a script, you better pair him with a strong writer.

As for Shazam, it's scheduled to start production in January.

ReiGun

I thought we already knew that was the case.

Anyone who's been a DC fan since the 80's knows WB cares about Batman, then Superman, then it's whatever to the rest. You can even see it in the spinoffs they're announcing/developing. Gotham City Sirens, Joker/Harley, Batgirl, Nightwing. All Batman shit, even though they have dozens of other properties they could be developing that are outside of that sphere.

And yeah, they probably would have made Wonder Woman and Aquaman at some point. But I'd bet my bottom dollar the Sydners hurried along the process on both.

Neophant

I'm having fun reacting to all the news and constant discussion going on. I still think it's a case of entertainment reporters trying to dig in as far as they can and picking up stories from wherever they're available, but we'll see WB start giving out a confirmed slate and production dates after the AT&T merger gets finalized. My other theory is that we'll be seeing some of these announced movies and projects as part of the WB streaming service that's supposed to be starting next year as exclusives.

I was more shocked Shazam was still on track after years of vague updates. Good on New Line though.

He might be better suited for being a cinematographer and producer than a director. It's similar to Goyer. I think Goyer is a great ideas man, but don't hand the man sole scripting duties. If you want him to write a script, you better pair him with a strong writer.

As for Shazam, it's scheduled to start production in January.

Who the hell is Shazam

The Flash (and to an extent all CW shows) and especially Wonder Woman are prime examples that WB has been leaving money on the table with DC properties.

To preface this, when giving the Snyders credit for Wonder Woman, it's their influence and support for the project and for Patty Jenkins. At the end of the day it is her movie. But the fact is they pushed to have the movie made. WB was content to have Wonder Woman be a CW show (titled Amazon) after the already failed pilot in 2011.

It's also hard to say when or if a Wonder Woman movie would've happened. We certainly have plenty of examples of it not happening, both for Wonder Woman specifically and other superheroines generally.

Ross61

Eh, all these stuff work in a vacuum. There are far more characters that won't blow up or make a great profit than there are that will. There are more than enough failed character starts from DC to prove that. It all depends on the right climate, it's how Ms America blew up.

So we have a Flashpoint film without a director, a Shazam film without either lead, and around 5 Batman related films just floating in the ether, with The Batman being the closest to production. And that's before I get to Green Lanterns or Cyborg. The July 2018 date is empty, as is the June 2019 slot at the moment.

I understand putting a lot of irons on the fire, but a bit more focus is probably needed at this point.

Ross61

Everything that announced is not happening anytime before anything on that slate. That was made pretty clear in some reports.

ReiGun

They give attention to Batman because that's where the breads at.

Self fulfilling prohecy. If they don't take chances and use characters outside of Batman IP, then of course Batman is going to be the main IP who brings in money.

I mean, the entire MCU is evidence of this. Conventional wisdom back in 2008 said the only Marvel properties you could rely on to make big money were X-Men and Spider-Man. Then Iron Man happened. Then fastforward nine years and 16 movies + 7 TV shows later, and we now know that to not be the case.

Ross61

Self fulfilling prohecy. If they don't take chances and use characters outside of Batman IP, then of course Batman is going to be the main IP who brings in money.

I mean, the entire MCU is evidence of this. Conventional wisdom back in 2008 said the only Marvel properties you could rely on to make big money were X-Men and Spider-Man. Then Iron Man happened. Then fastforward nine years and 16 movies + 7 TV shows later, and we now know that to not be the case.
But they have taken chances with other characters other than a Batman, and failed remarkably....

Batman brings in the most money rain, hail, sleet, and snow. Just look at comic sales.

Bleepey

Ugh, don't remind me. Snyder worked his ass off for a decade just to see everything go up in a cloud of "optimism" and "Hero" smoke. I need a drink.

I find it funny how people have a huge case of revisionist history going on, Marvel kinda made shit up as they went along with the Avengers and all that stuff. The Avengers stinger was kind of an after thought if i recall. I also hear people who claim that Nolan only plans one movie at a time and that's what Snyder should emulate but yet, 1) Batman Begins had a huge Joker stinger at the end so that argument is bullshit 2) Which makes more sense at least in theory, to have a cinematic universe where you have a plan with regards to story and character arcs or make shit up as you go along?

Also I am going to say it, Snyder is held to a higher standard, a shit tonne of hypocrisy, tone. Donner and Nolan can kill and people will handwaive or excuse it cos the movies were better received, then they will the Joker being alive in BVS is a plothole when it's obvious the Joker was in hiding or got away like in Suicide Squad, yet Batman letting Ra's die but saving the Joker is not a huge glaring plothole that makes no sense. If i recall I heard some jackass on this board defend that but they never responded to my post when I posted an interview with Jonah Nolan who said the Joker being left alive was done pretty much out of laziness. As for tone:
  • Marvel have a jokey tone so Iron Man can kill a lot and it's cool.
  • Reeves can have a light hearted tone and so cold blooded murder is excused in Superman 2.
  • Reeves can punch kryptonians through crowded buildings but it's fine cos tone.

etc

But they have taken chances with other characters other than a Batman, and failed remarkably....

Batman brings in the most money rain, hail, sleet, and snow. Just look at comic sales.

Batman has cross over appeal with people who don't like fantastical, Sci fi, or comic book movies. It's a goddamn goldmine because of that

ReiGun

And they've also taken chances with characters and seen huge success. I mean, Wonder Woman just speed past the domestic gross of every Batman movie besides TDK and TDKR. Teen Titans is a huge cartoon franchise. They have a television universe anchored by Green Arrow of all characters. Hell, that same universe includes a show led by Rip fucking Hunter. Rip Hunter, my guy. Plus there's Superman, who despite everything, is still a big money franchise.

Projects they've done that failed did so because they were shit, like Jonah Hex and Green Lantern. Saying that because not everything they've done with non-Batman IP has been a huge success is reason enough to just keep going to that well is a very myopic way of looking at IP management.

Ross61

And they've also taken chances with characters and seen huge success. I mean, Wonder Woman just speed past the domestic gross of every Batman movie besides TDK and TDKR. Teen Titans is a huge cartoon franchise. They have a television universe anchored by Green Arrow of all characters. Hell, that same universe includes a show led by Rip fucking Hunter. Rip Hunter, my guy. Plus there's Superman, who despite everything, is still a big money franchise.

Projects they've done that failed did so because they were shit, like Jonah Hex and Green Lantern. Saying that because not everything they've done with non-Batman IP has been a huge success is reason enough to just keep going to that well is a very myopic way of looking at IP management.
I'm not saying that they shouldn't give other characters a chance. I'm just saying they haven't been proven wrong by audiences when in all Batman media.

LionPride

Banned
I'm not saying that they shouldn't give other characters a chance. I'm just saying they haven't been proven wrong by audiences when in all Batman media.
Comics - Batman/Batman characteds dominated

Games - Batman dominated

Movies - Batman/Batman characters dominated

Shit's gotta changd up eventually

Ross61

Comics - Batman/Batman characteds dominated

Games - Batman dominated

Movies - Batman/Batman characters dominated

Shit's gotta changd up eventually
Comics aren't Batman/related characters dominated.....

Games are so I'll give you that. I have a sneaking suspicion tho that WB trying to acquire more gaming studios that they plan to change that.

Movies- I'm only paying attention to the slate and it wasn't Batman dominated.

Top Bottom